Chapter 5

486

CHAPTER 5:

 

 

WEDNESDAY:

 

Riiing Riiing

Baekhyun woke up irritated. His phone was ringing like hell and was piercing through his ears. He put a pillow on his ears to plug them as if it could avert him from hearing the ascending ring tone. Soon, he gave up and got the phone from his bedside table only to find out that some unknown number was calling him at this ungodly hour. He fumingly pressed the answer key.

“Hello? Who’s this?” He whined. His voice sounded irate though his eyes were still half-opened from sleepiness.

“Good morning sleeping beauty. Sorry for perturbing on your dreams. But I think you should get off your bed now and go to school. You’ll be late so better be hurry.” The voice on the other line was deep but indisputably sweet. Baekhyun could really tell that, but a sudden realization slapped him.

“What?!” He shrieked. Baekhyun looked at the time on his phone and it was already 5 o’clock in the morning. He had usually got up at four to get prepared for school, at this time he should be heading to the bus station. He jumped off from his bed and threw his phone into his backpack. He took a quick shower and brushed his teeth. He dressed his uniform in and stormed out his house. He ran to the bus station with his backpack on and a toast bread on his hand.

 

Baekhyun came to school on time. He greeted his bestfriend who was already sitting on their shared seat. He joined his bestfriend. His fatigue was obvious as he was sweating bullets and his hair was a little mess. Yixing was not used to this kind of Baekhyun.

“Baek, what happened?” Yixing worriedly asked. He gave his bestfriend his bottled water.

“I came on time. Oh my… thanks!” He said before drinking. He was running out of air. “I woke up late Xing.” He was breathing hastily. “Thanks to whoever called me earlier. You saved me.”

“Unknown caller?”

“Uh. I thought it was you Xing. No?”

“Off course not! My number’s registered on your phone, isn’t it?” His bestfriend scowled.

“A-Ah yes.” Baekhyun smiled.

 

 

Baekhyun was bewildered. Who would have the guts to call him just to wake him up early in the morning? He really thought it was his bestfriend but he had just refuted it. He tried to remember what the guy on the other line had said. “Good morning sleeping beauty. Sorry for perturbing on your dreams. But I think you should get off your bed now and go to school. You’ll be late so better be hurry.” By that, he knew that Baekhyun was still sleeping right at that time. He might be someone he knows but he couldn’t really think of anyone. He was utterly clueless.

He was snapped from his thoughts when Mr. Lee entered their room.

“Good morning class.” Mr. Lee greeted.

 

 

After class. Yixing insisted Baekhyun to have a lunch first before going home. He was somewhat starving and his bestfriend couldn’t just say no because he was hungry as hell. Besides, Baekhyun hadn’t had a reasonable breakfast with just a toast of bread he had gotten from his kitchen before sprinting off to school. He was grateful he was able to survive until lunch.

Joonmyeon off course went with them. It would become a norm, Baekhyun thought. The usual Yixing and Baekhyun alone having lunch and doing such together, now always with Joonmyeon. Baekhyun compelled himself that he should be inured to it. Well, Yixing’s partner was indeed a nice guy and he couldn’t see anything that was dislikeable to him.

Baekhyun wanted to invite the giant with them before they recede at his place for their review. But Chanyeol wasn’t anywhere to find. He presumed that he was already eating lunch at the cafeteria but when they got there, there wasn’t any trace of the giant. Joonmyeon suggested calling him and Baekhyun agreed to the idea. He got his phone from his backpack’s compartment only to realize that he had no contact with the giant. He didn’t have his number, either Yixing or his partner. The short guy mentally facepalmed. He noted himself to get the giant’s number for emergencies like this.

 

Once they had finished eating, Baekhyun excused himself from the two to go the locker room. He told them to wait for him at the school gate as he would just get his book. He dashed to the locker room not wanting the other two to wait long for him. He opened the padlock of his storeroom with his key and got the book. He was about to recede as he closed it again when he noticed a yellow sticky note on the entrance of his locker. He unpasted it and picked it up, another ‘486’ note with ‘Thank You’ and a smiley written in a smaller font under it.

He stared at the note for quite awhile. He looked around supposing he could ask someone for who could possibly put the note there. But he spotted no one. The students were supposed to be inside the classrooms or at the cafeteria at his time.

 

           

Baekhyun thought of joining his bestfriend and Joonmyeon’s review for today when they were at the bus station but he had discarded his own idea and decided to go home early. He swore Chanyeol was such a nuisance to him for not even informing him that he wouldn’t attend their review session today.

He tossed his whole body to his bed. He closed his eyes earning for serenity and rest. He was ready to go to dreamland when he heard the doorbell rang. Baekhyun indolently stormed out his room and walked to the door to check his visitor. He opened the door and saw a familiar tall, auburn-haired guy outside. He rubbed his eyes with his clenched fist to clear his sight. And it was certainly Chanyeol.

“Good afternoon sleeping beauty!” He cheerfully greeted.

“Sleeping beauty your face! I wasn’t sleeping!” He responded with a little stern voice, but the giant was gleefully grinning at him. “I thought you wouldn’t come, you ditched for who-knows-where without any say.”

“Can I come in?”

Baekhyun felt ignored but he opted to don’t mind. “Uh… Sure.”

 

                                    

 

“Sorry for not informing you earlier. Just an emergency.” Chanyeol explained. He sat at the couch, same spot where he was yesterday. He got his stuffs out of his bag and placed it to the table between the couches.

“Um. It’s okay, just inform me next time.” Baekhyun deadpanned. He wasn’t sure what he was feeling.

Chanyeol handed him a black plastic bag. “Let’s eat this first?”

“What’s this?”

“Your favorite.”

Baekhyun was a bit stunned. He glanced at the bag and saw a gallon of cookies and cream-flavored ice cream. His lips curved up widely at the sight and his eyes were sparkling. He didn’t even notice Chanyeol was giggling at his reaction.

He put the ice cream to the table and turned his heels towards the kitchen. He got two bowls, two spoons and an ice cream scoop for them then back to the living room. He excitedly opened the gallon and helped himself to scoop his favorite cookies and cream-flavored ice cream. Chanyeol was holding his bowl and the spoon on it but didn’t budge to get himself any scoop of the dessert. He was just staring at the shorter guy eating like a child. Baekhyun really looked like a child who just got a reward from his parents for doing great in school.

The shorter guy was about to get himself again for another round of ice cream when he noticed Chanyeol’s bowl was still crystal clear. He looked up at the giant and he was just sneering at him. Baekhyun filled the clean bowl and gave it to the giant. “You should chomp too. Sure it’s taste like heaven.” He snickered and started to eat again. Chanyeol gladly helped himself and eat.

 

As soon as Baekhyun’s stomach was full with his favorite dessert, they started with their schedule. Language was their focused subject for today.

“Thank you.” Baekhyun suddenly spoke. He looked up at Chanyeol from his book. Chanyeol smiled as a response. “But how did you know that was my favorite flavor?”

“I just know.”

“No way.”

“Um… Wild guess?”

Baekhyun was not contended with the taller guy’s answer but just picked it up. Silence filled the air. It was actually their normal atmosphere. It was usually more awkward than comfortable, but now, both of them felt it was the reverse.

“Um… Bacon.” Chanyeol cut in.

“Yes?” Baekhyun was somehow inured with the pet name.

“Why did you wake up late earlier?”

“How did you know? Don’t say you just know.” The shorter guy was utterly concussed.

“Ah~ I-I h-hear it. Yes I heard it, you told Yixing, right?” Chanyeol was stuttering.

“Ah.” Baekhyun nodded. “I didn’t dang set my alarm.” He frowned at the memory. “Thanks to whoever called me earlier, if not, I would have my first ever absent today.” Chanyeol was just smiling and didn’t utter any response. “By the way, I think we should exchange numbers for emergencies like what happened earlier. I couldn’t contact you and ask if you would come.”

The shorter guy couldn’t comprehend Chanyeol’s face. He couldn’t tell if he had just said something wrong or he didn’t want to exchange numbers with him. But, nonetheless he handed his phone to the giant to key his digits. The latter accepted it and did as he told so. Baekhyun texted him a blank message and told him to save his digits.

“Ah-“ Baekhyun snapped. “Could you check this number on your phone, maybe you know who owns this.” He was checking his phone’s call history, looking for the number of the guy who called him early in the morning, but he found nothing. Someone peeked at his phone and cleared the history. “Aish. Nevermind.”

“Why?”

“Someone cleared my phone’s call history. How could I know who was that guy?” Baekhyun was sounded a little pissed. Chanyeol chuckled. He looked cute when he was pissed off.

 

 

 

 

Author’s Note:

                                                                                                                                      Hi readers! :D

I guess I won over my writer’s block! Yehet! /throws confetti/ lol

But the problem is I don’t have internet for the whole month. OTL

Well, please do comment. :DDD

                                                                                      Thanks for reading!  Keep safe everyone! ♥