Chapter 2

486

CHAPTER 2:

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun’s POV

 

 

 

Final exams were approaching. And I can’t help but freak out. I had to retain my number one position on the campus’ Top 100 students. Pressured. We had given two weeks to prep, but how could I do that when I was so distracted. I didn’t want that Park freaking Chanyeol to beat me this time. He once stole my rank last first quarter’s finals. That was the first time I had to suffer as the second place, and I’d make sure that it won’t happen again. Never. Yes he already won over me at few of the contests we had competed, but this was different. It was the final examination for gad sake.

 

 

 

“Class, because your final tests are approaching. And we wanted you all to get high scores, one of the school’s teachers requested a ‘pair study’”, Ms. Choi announced, resulting to too much noise from the class. Questions like “what the heck pair study is?”, “Would it help us or just make us worse?”, “what kind of suggestion was that?!”. Everything wasn’t clear and calling for further explanation.

 

I turned to Yixing and he was just as unconvinced as me with what Ms. Choi had said.

 

“Listen!”, our poor teacher screamed as she hit the table with a thin and lean stick. The class finally found silence and peace. Ms. Choi was really scary when she’s angry or annoyed.

 

“The principal had already approved this. Okay”, she continued, and started to pace along the aisle as she talked. “Let’s just deal with it and aim that it would really help.”

 

 

 

Ms. Choi discussed that that ‘pair study’ was just like a group study but with two students only. The pair should help each others on their weaknesses. They had to review together even during non-school hours and have to submit a report of each other’s progress. I heard non-stop whispers of complaints from every direction at the mention of ‘non-school hours’. It was fine to me though. Besides, I can be partnered with my best friend Yixing who happened to be smart too and his apartment was just a few walks away from my house. There would be no problem at all. At least that was I expected.

 

“We’ll do the partnering through draw lots.” . She got me there. The whispers of the grieving students became louder with Ms. Choi’s notice. “The first half of the students will pick their partners name at this fish bowl.”

 

This was unfair. I knew I was not the only one who was thinking that. So I decided to stand up and protest. “Um. Ma’am, I don’t like the idea to be honest, otherwise as you said, we have to deal with it. But draw lots wouldn’t be even though. Each of us should have a partner which we are comfortable with. How can we concentrate if there’s awkwardness between colleagues?”

 

“I thought you treat each others here as siblings. You’re in block section anyhow. Do you have any foe with any of your classmates Mr. Byun? The teacher deadpanned.

 

“No ma’am. And I’m speaking for the whole class.”

 

“If that’s so, you can now sit.”

 

Our teacher was being stubborn as she was. I couldn’t compete with her condescending authority. Yixing patted circles on my back. I was sure he wanted to say I didn’t have to do that. But so I did.

 

I belonged to the first half student Ms. Choi had mentioned, and Yixing was in the other half so there was still a chance. “I only wish for your name there Xing”, I sighed.

 

“I hoped too. You better pick me up”, he answered sneering.

 

 

 

“Ah Kihee and Shin Leehan”, the students started to single out their partners from the fish bowl. Ms. Choi was announcing it.

 

“Ahn Hayoung and Park HyungMin”

 

“Bang Seokbin and Taek Yoonsoo”

 

 

 

It was my turn. Zhang Yixing. Zhang Yixing. Zhang Yixing please. I placed my hand inside the bowl and picked a rolled paper. I handed it to Ms. Choi and waited for her to announce the name.

 

 

 

“Byun Baekhyun and Park Chanyeol”

 

 

 

I froze. Deep in thought. My feet were not in the mood to walk. What is happening? Why Chanyeol, of all people? I could hear voices saying “wow”, “It’s unfair!”, “They’re both top students, really not fair.”

 

I gathered all the few strings of courage that I have to speak out. “Ms. Choi. I think they have a point. Chanyeol shouldn’t be my partner. Maybe I could be with another… uhm like Yixing.”

 

Our adviser was staring at me. She was seemingly reading my mind and uttered, “I’m sorry Mr. Byun but that couldn’t be. You picked Mr. Park’s name then be with it.”

 

 

 

I nodded then paced back to my seat. I had enough altercation with Ms. Choi. “Is this hell Xing?” I asked my best friend who was sitting beside me.

 

“It’s your choice Baek. That hell could be a paradise too if you want”, he grinned at me before he motioned a ‘fighting’ sign. “Well, I wonder who will be my partner.”

 

 

 

I wanted to see what was Chanyeol’s reaction about this him being my pair-study partner. But he was sitting two seats away right at my back. I didn’t want him to see me looking at him. But I really marveled. Was he happy or was he as disappointed as I was?

 

         

 

Few more names were pronounced but still no Zhang Yixing. Was his name written on there in the first place? If not, we have to repick our review partner. Hopes grew on me. I should pick his name the second time, or any name beside Chanyeol’s.

 

 

 

“Kim Joonmyeon and Zhang Yixing.”

 

 

 

The grin on my face faded. Okay I gave up. Yixing was with Joonmyeon and I had to be with Chanyeol. Fine!

 

                                                                                                      

 

 

Author’s Note:

It took me eternity to update. OTL

                                  Baekhyun and Chanyeol together even during non-school hours. ><

What do you think of this? Asdfghjkl~

You should tell me guys if your loving this fic or not. XD huehue

 

Comments are loved! Subscriptions are much more than appreciated! ♥

Thanks for reading! Will update soon~

 

 

PS: (shameless promotion -.- ) I have a KaiSoo fic here. :D

Feel free to read it! LOTUS EYE: [http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/712415/lotus-eye-angst-fluff-romance-exo-kai-kyungsoo-kaisoo]. It’ll make me happier