The bench

More than Two

Hello!!!!  So here is the first chapter!!!  I suggest you to pay close attention to the dates because it can get pretty confusing... Sorry :(  And I'm also sorry if it is not interesting enough for you... But it will get better!  So enjoy for now!  God bless you!


 

 Chapter 1: The bench

 

[Sunday February 3rd, 2013]

 

The reason why I, Yunhee, am walking out here again is to get away from my parents.  They're bickering like usual.  It's been like this for a few years now.  And once again, my feet lead me back to this place, this park.  It's a place that brings back memories.  I remember coming here every day last year.  Sitting on that same bench.  Seeing him here every time.  I miss his beautiful smile, his soothing voice, his wonderful yet crazy laugh.  I miss him.

 

I want to see you again...

 

 

[Saturday January 14th, 2012]

 

Fighting married couple.  That's exactly what my parents are now.  I have no idea what they conflict about all the time but one thing's for sure: they're loud and noisy.  So I choose to get away from all of it.  Today, I decide to go to the abandoned park close by since I'm tired of going around town.  I sit on the nearest bench from the entrance.  I take out my iPod and play some music.  As I put my earphones on, a guy sits down on the bench across the park.  I guess some people do come here.  He takes out a book and opens it to start reading.  I stare at him for a while, waiting for any other movements to come from this stranger.  But nothing happens.  Then, out of nowhere, his eyes shoot up from his book and straight to me.  We make eye contact for a split second until I look away.  After that, nothing really happens for the next hours.  We only sit there, doing our own activities.  Then, I get up to leave.  As I do so, he looks at me again but this time, I smile at him.  He returns it and I exit the park.

 

He has a nice smile.

 

 

[Sunday January 15th, 2012]

 

Such a boisterous house.  My parents argue as if I don't hear them.  Sometimes I wonder if they notice I go out of the house all the time... just like now.  Yup.  I'm out once more.  Cause I can't stand staying the rest of the day at home.  So, since it's a warm afternoon, I walk to the park.  The same one as the other day.  I don't know why I want to go back there.

 

Probably because of the relaxing atmosphere.

 

As I enter the place, a guy —who happens to be the same one as yesterday— comes in from the other entry.  I seat myself on the bench closest to the exit yet again.  He, on the other hand, sits on the bench not far from where he was the day before.

 

Maybe he just wants to sit somewhere else.

 

As I look at him a few times, I see his features much clearer than the last time.

 

He's good-looking...

 

I smile but then abruptly look down at my iPod after the realization of what I just did.  However, in the corner of my eye, I can see him glance at me from time to time as well.  And sometimes a small smile appears on his face and I, by some means, don't get unease.  On the contrary, I smile with him.

 

 

[Friday January 20th, 2012]

 

Today, my eomma and appa are going to come home late so I'm alone in my, for once, peaceful home.  So, I take this opportunity to study and do my homework.  During my short breaks, I reminisce on what happened this week at the park.  Every day, I would go there and every time, that same stranger would come as well.  However, during each visit, he would sit closer.  And somehow, I wouldn't get anxious.

 

I wonder if he's there now.  Should I go?

 

I don't know why I have this belief that he's there now, but it irritates me.  I take my glass of water and head to my room, annoyed by this feeling.  I sit on my bed for less than a minute before I stand back up, ready to go outside.  For some weird reason, I run to my destination as if the boy is about to leave.  Proud that I arrived so quickly, I smile.  But the curve on my lips soon fades after I realize that the park is empty.

 

I guess I was wrong... *sigh* Might as well stay since I'm already here.

 

I start for the bench I've been sitting on the whole week.  I put my earphones on and play some music on my iPod.  Around the middle of the song, my happy expression creeps back on my face from the sight in front of me.  

 

So he decided to come after all.

 

As the still unknown person was coming closer, I try to hide the content look I have on.  When he positions himself next to me, the song ends, yet I don't remove the earpieces.  I wait a bit for him to say something.  As if he knows when I'm about to speak, he starts to mumble something to himself.  I chuckle a little at his cuteness.

 

- "You don't have to be so nervous. I'm a nice person," I say with a small laugh, surprising him a bit.  I put away my things in my jacket pocket.  I then stand up and bow.  "Annyeonghaseyo, nae ileum-eun Kyoh Yunhee ibnida (my name is Kyoh Yunhee)," I introduce myself to him.

- "Naneun Youngjae ibnida (I am Youngjae). Choi Youngjae," this 'Youngjae' bows slightly with a smile.

- "I've been seeing you come here lately. It's nice to finally talk to you," I say while sitting back down.  "People usually don't come to this place. It's good to know that it's not totally abandoned," I continue.

 

As we continue to chat together, I learn more about him.  I'm not sure how we get along so well or how we find so many subjects to discuss about.  It's like we already know each other to begin with.  Hours pass as we talk nonstop.  After a long session of conversing about ourselves, we finally realize how dark it is.

 

- "I think we should leave. It's late already," he said while glancing at his wristwatch.

- "Yeah, I guess we should," I agree.

- "Want to hangout tomorrow?" he asks before he turns around.  I almost choke on my own saliva at his question.

 

Is he serious?

 

- "Sure! That would be great!" I respond.  How is that my answer?  Agreeing with almost no hesitation to meet up with some stranger.  Is that normal?

- "So tomorrow, same time, same place. Okay?" I nod and he bows.  "It was nice meeting you! Annyeong! Walk safely," he bids as I bow as well.  He then walks away not forgetting to put on his beautiful smile.

 

When he is finally out of sight, I turn around to head home too.

 

 

[Saturday, January 21st, 2012]

 

"What am I doing? I'm actually going to see this guy!?" I heave a sigh.  "But if I don't leave, he'll think I set him up... I don't want that," I say as I walk around my room, trying to decide whether or not I should meet up with Youngjae again.  "I guess I should go since I already said yes," I finally decide.


I start for the door and open it, only to have a heart attack.  I step back and breathe heavily, trying to calm myself down.

 

- "Eomma! You scared me! I thought you had work today!" I exclaim.

- "I don't work on Saturdays. It's been that way for the past three years now. You should know that," my eomma reminds me.

- "Oh yeah. I forgot," I mumble.  "What are you doing here anyway? You should go back to bed instead of scaring people like that," I tell her while I lead her towards the direction of her room.

- "But it's the afternoon. Why would I need to sleep now? I'm not sick or anything," she states.  She frees herself from my grip on her shoulders and turns around to look at my clothes. "Where are you going?" she then asks, changing the subject completely.

- "Um, nowhere," I say, looking away from her.

- "Tsk tsk. Don't lie to me! I heard what you were saying," she admits.  "Who's this boy you were talking about?" she asks forcefully.

- "Eomma!" I complain.

- "Stop whining, you're no longer a baby. Just answer me," she says with much authority.

 

I pout childishly and cross my arms over my chest, which makes her laugh a bit.  Seeing my eomma happy like this reminds me about the past, when my parents weren't fighting yet.  The time when this place was still a harmonious home.

 

- "Okay fine. You'll tell me later. But you better be home at nine," she orders.

- "That means you're letting me go?" I ask excitingly.  She nods while starting to walk away.

- "Yeah. Just don't tell your abeoji," she yells the last part from the kitchen as I rush to the entrance.

- "Ne!" I respond happily.  "Thank you eomma! Love you!" I end our conversation by closing the door behind me.  I skip away joyfully towards my destination.

 

 

[Saturday, March 10th, 2012]

 

For the past two months, Youngjae and I have been seeing each other at the park almost every day.  It started off as choosing our next meeting in advance.  But slowly, as days passed, we didn't even need to say anything.  We would just come and the other would be there. With all the talking we've been doing, we became really close.  Now, we're practically best friends.


I do not own link