'Almost Friends'

The New Kid

“Hi.” He said and smiled awkwardly.

“Hello.” I answered.

I thought of all the possibilities of why L.Joe was here. *Maybe he needs something? Or does he need to use our bathroom? No, that can’t be it. Maybe he needs to talk to my mom or dad? Yes. That’s it.* My thoughts was interrupted by L.Joe’s voice, “Can I come in?”

“Oh yeah.” I scrambled. I can feel the heat rushing to my cheeks.

“So, why are you here?” I asked

“My mom told me to come over. I think she wants me make friends.” He said shyly and rubbed the back of his neck.

“Okay.”

Silence.

“Well this is awkward*I turned to glance at him. I caught him looking at me. He quickly turned away and looked at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world. *And weird. Very weird.* I thought.

“So, how is the weather today?” He said. I mentally face palmed myself.

After a very awkward introduction we finally warmed up to each other. I learned that he likes listening to music and hated when people called him short, he went to America to study, and she also found out that he hated Seoul because it was noisy. Time flied quickly when they talked to each other. It was like they were long lost friends finally reuniting.

L.Joe glanced at the clock and realized it was time to go. He frowned. I noticed him frowning, “What’s the matter?” I asked. “I already have to go.” He said, slightly pouting. *Cute* “Really?” “Yeah. I have to help mom unpack some of our stuff.” “Oh.” I said.

“This was fun.” L.Joe said. I nodded. “We should hang out again.” He said with a soft smile. I smiled back at him. “I’ll bring Jiho next time.” I said. “Yeah. That would be nice.” As soon as L.Joe left I felt something weird. I felt empty.