Becoming Close

The New Kid

I woke up the next day feeling restless and tired.

My mind kept wandering to the kiss that didn’t happen. I asked myself all sorts of questions: Does he like me? Do I like him? Does he want to talk about it? Did I want to talk about? Was I imagining it? I ruffled my hair in frustration.

I decided to take a walk to clear my mind. I just hoped I won’t bump into Jiho.

The walk did wonders for me. I felt 100 times better now than before. I decided to keep my mouth shut about the ‘kiss’. If Jiho wanted to talk about it, fine but if he doesn’t then I wouldn’t be the one to bring it up.

Feeling refreshed, I decided it was time to go home.

“Mia?” A voice asked and tapped my shoulder.

I turned around and saw L.Joe looking at me with a happy grin. “L.Joe!” I exclaimed happily.

“How have you been? I haven’t seen you in a while. Where you avoiding me?” He pouted.

“No!” I shook my head. “We went to a trip to the beach, you see, that’s why you didn’t see me.” I assured him.

He looked at me with an amused smile. “I was just teasing you.”

I smacked his arms lightly. He chuckled. “Okay. Okay. I’m sorry. Forgive me?” He asked with aegyo.

I looked at him and smiled. “Fine.”

“Are you headed home?” He asked.

“Yeah.” I answered.

“Oh. Well, do you mind coming with me? My mom really wants to meet you.” He rubbed the back of his neck shyly.

I smiled *Cute.* “Okay.”

“Really? That’s great!” He happily said.

 

“Mom! I’m home!” L.Joe called out.

A petite young woman emerged from the hall. She looked beautiful with long flowing hair. “Finally, I thought you ran away. Did you bring the—“ she looked at me surprised.

“Mom, this is Mia. Mia this is my mom.” L.Joe introduced.

“Hi there it’s nice to—“ I was suddenly attacked with L.Joe’s mom’s bone crushing hug.

"It's so nice to meet you!" She said while hugging me

 

She finally let me go. “So, this is the famous Mia, Byunghun has been talking about.” She said and eyed L.Joe.

L.Joe looked surprised,  “Th-that’s not true!” He stuttered. He looked at my direction and when our eyes met, he blushed furiously.

I looked at him and tilted my head slightly, amused with his behaviour.

 

“So Mia, how long have you been living here?” Mrs. Lee asked.

L.Joe sat next to me and handed me a can of soda. I gave him a thankful smile. I looked back at Mrs. Lee “I lived here since I was a child.” I said with a smile.

“Oh. Do you know anybody who’s the same age as Byunghun?” She asked.

“Well, there’s me, Jiho, Heemin, Mira, and Jihon.” I counted.

Mrs. Lee looked at L.Joe and smiled. “That’s good. You can make a lot of friends here.”

L.Joe looked at her mother and smiled at her. “Yeah.”

I watched their exchange and smiled. *They must be close.*

Mrs. Lee caught me staring and leaned over. “Did you know, L.Joe’s been waiting outside your house for awhile. He’s sad because he thought that you were avoiding him.”

“Mom!” L.Joe screamed, already looking like a tomato.

“Really?” I said amused at the situation.

Mrs. Lee clapped her hands in glee. “You should’ve seen him! He looked like a lost puppy waiting for you.”

I caught L.Joe looking at me and I gave him a smirk causing his blush to be a deeper shade of red.

 

It was already noon when I decided to go home.

“Sorry about mom.” L.Joe said as he walked me towards the door.

I shook my head and smiled. “No, it’s fine. She’s fun to be around with.” You admitted.

L.Joe looked happy with your answer.

 

“Hey, Mia. Do you want to go out tomorrow?” L.Joe asked looking down.

I silently laughed. “Okay.”

He looked at me surprised. “Really? That great!”

“Let’s exchange numbers then.” He suggested.

I nodded and gave him my phone number.

 

I went to my room and saw my phone had a new message.

Hi Mia~
Thank You for hanging out with me today :)
Even though my mom’s a bit annoying -.-“
Anyway, don’t forget about tomorrow, okay?
I’ll come over at 1 :D
If you haven’t figured it out, it’s me, L.Joe.
TADAAA! ^_____^
So, you better save my number! :D

After reading the text I couldn’t help but smile.