Questions

The New Kid

“MIA! SOMEBODY IS LOOKING FOR YOU!” I heard my mom yell from downstairs.

I rolled over my bed. “COMING!” I screamed back at her.

 

When I went downstairs, I saw L.Joe looking my mom with a charming smile and my mom dotting over him. “Do you want anything to eat?” I heard my mom ask him. “No. I just came to see Mia.” He said politely. “Are you sure? You're not mistaking my daughter for another person, right?” My mom asked in disbelief. I was slightly offended. L.Joe just laughed. “Yeah.” My mom pointed at my picture on the wall, "That Mia?" He nodded. He caught a glimpse of me and his smile grew brighter. I smiled back at him. Mom looked at what L.Joe was smiling at and saw me. “Oh! You’re finally here.” She said. “That Mia?” Mom asked L.Joe sceptically. “Yeah.” He chuckled. I looked at my mom and grinned. *Ha! In your face, ma!*

I walked over to L.Joe and faced him. “What are you doing here?”

“To buy you food.” He said.

I looked back at my still stunned mother. “We’ll be going out for a while. Is that okay?”

“Okay.” Mom said.

 

I mentally rolled my eyes. *Why is it so hard to believe that I’m friends with a guy other than Jiho?*

“Let’s go.” I called L.Joe.

“Yeah.”

 

L.Joe took me to a nearby cafe. “Order everything you want.” He smiled.

I raised an eyebrow. ‘If I did that, you’ll probably end up broke.”

He chuckled at my response. “You never fail to amuse me.”

 

After getting our orders we sat on the nearest table.

“Can I ask you something?” L.Joe looked at me.

“Hmmm.”

“Was that your boyfriend?”

I nearly spat out my drink. “Boyfriend?”

“Yeah. You know Jiwon-“

“Jiho.” I corrected.

“See! You even know his name.”

I rolled my eyes. “Of course I know his name I’ve been friends with him since we were little.”

“Oh.” He said. “So nothing romantic is going on between you?”

My mind went back to the ‘kiss’ but I brushed away the thought. “Nothing.”

“Okay then. I just wanted to make sure.” He smiled.