Chapter 11

Soul Mate

Priest’s P.O.V

Though it’s not often people like her walk into this church, I’m still concern for them.

It seems like I’m the only one who can see them, people who are lost in their dreamlands.

At least that’s what I called them.

They’ve lost track of time in their memories. Living in those happy past times.

Only a handful of them ended up in here, where I can perhaps help them.

 

They didn’t want to leave those dreams. They know that those dreams bring them happiness in life. Those dreams will brighten their day.

But they need to go back. They need to wake up. Those dreams may be real at one point of time, but they are from the past.

 

“Father Kim, lunch will be ready in about 20 minutes.” A nun said to me as she walked into the room.

Of course, she couldn’t see the dreamer.

The dreamer looked at the nun. Probably wondering why she was looking only at me.

 

“Thank you Sister.” I replied and the nun left the room.

I looked back at the dreamer, finding puzzled expression on her face.

“Are you wondering why the nun was only facing me?” I asked her.

She nodded.

“Well, she can’t see you.”

She was shocked. Of course, every dreamer I have encountered was shocked when I told them this. They were taken by surprise. Assuming if I can see them, the rest of the human population can see them also.

It’s normal to be ignored by people if you walked in a busy street. They must have thought.

“What am I?” The dreamer suddenly asked.

I honestly do not know the answer to this. I wonder often too, what are they, why am I the only person who is able to see them, to hear them.

“I call you a dreamer. A person who has been dreaming for a really long time. A person who is lost from reality. A person who forgot about time.”

“Time……yes…..I’ve been dreaming for a while now. I wonder why I have such long dreams and never seem to be able to wake up.”

Not being able to wake up?

“What is your name?” I asked her.

“It’s ________.”

How long has she been dreaming? I wondered.

“What is the last memory you had before you start dreaming?” I asked her.

 

I waited for her answer. Most likely forgotten since she’s been living in her past memories.

“It’s okay if…”

“It was the day my best friend had left me.” She said.

Tears are now coming down her cheeks.

She must be heartbroken by her best friend.

“Do you remember your best friend’s name?” I asked her.

“Yes, yes I do. I’ve been dreaming about him. They were nice dreams. My happiest memory every since we became best friend with each other.” She smiled.

 

Smiling, that’s one thing I never seen on a dreamer’s face.

Her smile is a smile from the bottom of her heart.

She must’ve loved her best friend.

Or maybe she still does.

 

“Do you want to find him?” I asked her.

She looked at me. Her bright eyes. But then I see sadness.

“He won’t be able to see me.” She smiled weakly.

“But you will see him. Maybe if you see him, he will make you wake up. Maybe seeing him will help you come back to reality. Don’t you want to wake up?”

“I don’t know. These dreams are so wonderful. I don’t want to go back. What if……what if he doesn’t want to see me. What if he’s already happy with me out of his life?”

“You would never know until you go and find him. Do you know where he is right now?”

“He’s at Seoul National University.”

He’s a smart boy.

“Well, Seoul National University it is. We will head there once I have lunch. Would you like to wait here or would you like to come with me?”

She hesitated.

“I think I’ll stay here.” She told me.

Just as I was about to walk out the door she said something to me.

“Thank you.”

I smiled back and left the room.