The heart is a landmine

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo could sum up everything he was seeing in one word: mess.

There was not any party recently at Jongin’s place so how come it looked like that? The lights turning on get him back on the track.

“Kyungsoo-sshi” Hayi started, looking around in a mixture of worry and disgust “I don’t think he’s here”

“Bedroom” he pointed in the direction of the closed doors down the corridor, almost forgetting that she offered to come along and find Jongin. They both ran the remaining distance, crushing some already broken glass under their shoes in the process and bursting the doors open.

As partly expected, Jongin was asleep, with a bottle of Jack Daniels next to his snoring head. Kyungsoo felt like exploding.

“Kim Jongin, you stupid punk, get up!” he yelled but got no response “Jongin!”

After another failed attempt Hayi rolled her eyes and dashed to the sleeping boxer, slapping him across the face with unexplained force.

“What the-“ Jongin’s eyes shot open “Hayi?”

“Minji’s in a hospital, she had a car accident. We need to go, now!” she gritted her teeth and let him go. Jongin gulped, paled and quickly looked around, finally setting his stare on Kyungsoo.

“Wha-“

“Get. The. . Up” Kyungsoo growled and went back to the hall, already ordering Uber. After few seconds Hayi was by his side.

“Nice slap”

“He deserved it”

“I never said he didn’t” he smiled.

She smiled back.

 

 

 

MEANWHILE

 

 

 

Everything was a blur and a combination of screams, lights, gasps and cries but it was better than the silence that followed when Luhan shared what he heard.

Yongguk knew it was bad the second he heard Kris’ mother’s cries in Chinese after she spoke with the doctor and saw Luhan’s expression, because he clearly understood her. Yet, he never assumed it will be that bad.

When Luhan joined everyone in the waiting area he looked like on the verge of tears. Eventually, he gave up.

“Lu, what is it, tell us!” Dara approached him first, gently cupping his cheeks to make him look up. The rest surrounded him right after.

“I don’t know about Minji, they don’t want to tell…She’s a minor, only her parents are supposed to know…But Kris” with that he broke down again “God…”

Finally after few deeper breaths Luhan spoke again, his voice raised for everyone to hear but his eyes focused only on Dara, as if in search for required support. No wonder, the words cut his throat.

“The other car hit from Kris’ side, the surgeons are fighting but…There is a chance Kris will lose his leg”

 

 

 

LATER

 

 

 

Everyone remained in the hospital’s waiting area, expecting the news and answering the questions of police officers who arrived following the accident.

Yongguk was walking around the spot, clearly not able to sit down even for a second.

Luhan was looking emptily on nothing in particular, his head partly buried in Dara’s embrace, who was gently his hair despite her own tears silently falling down her cheeks.

Sehun, Yukwon, Zico, Kyung and Himchan were out, chain smoking since the news broke but not exchanging a word.

Jongdae was out as well, presumably arguing with Kyungoo – who fortunately found Jongin – over the phone.

Chanyeol was crouching by the wall after he kicked and punched the vending machine, probably injuring his now puffy and red knuckles in the process. He did not seem to feel that though.

And finally there was Chaerin, who got up and went to the other wing in attempt to spot another vending machine. She found it easily, together with Baekhyun who was sitting next to it, the cup in his hands.

He looked up when sensing someone approaching and then tried to smile, failing miserably.

“Tea or coffee?” he asked when Chaerin started to throw coins inside.

“I guess it doesn’t serve Xanax so tea could do” she pushed some buttons and then scowled “Oh come on, this one is broken too?!”

With that she smacked the board once, then twice and then another time.

“Hey hey, Cat” Baekhyun quickly stood up and grabbed her wrists, preventing her from totally copying Chanyeol’s actions from moments ago “Cat, chill”

Suddenly Chaerin glared at him and started to punch his chest instead.

“I. Will. Not. Chill!” she barked and then the realization finally hit her, coming to its . Chaerin burst into tears and sobs to the point it was almost impossible to catch a breath, dropping on her knees and hiding her face in hands.

Baekhyun was on the floor right after, putting his arms around her shaky figure as Chaerin cried against his shoulder blade.

“He…He wanted to come back to China…Get the basketball scholarship at the University of Shenzen…And-and now?!” she sobbed “And Minji…All has been so well for her recently…God, why?! It’s all my fault”

“How come it’s your fault?!” the singer frowned at the words but made no movement.

“Karma has come for us...For me…Because of Nana”

“Cat, listen” Baekhyun sighed and made Chaerin look at him, firmly placing his hands on her shoulders “This is not your fault! This is because of some carefree truck-driver who’s had hit Kris’ car! Minji is going to be ok! Hell, I am sure Kris will be ok! He’s one strong motherer, he won’t go down without a fight! And we will all gather together at one of his games soon, you’ll see! And karma can’t be after you since all that has happened to Nana was purely and entirely her fault! Do you understand?”

“I…”

“Do you understand?!” he pushed, gritting his teeth and softly shaking her figure. Finally Chaerin sobbed for the last time, wiping the mascara filled tears from her cheeks and nodding firmly, somehow being assured that everything he just said was right.

Baekhyun could not help but smile at the view, before locking his stare with hers and realizing that their faces were slowly moving closer.

“There you two are”

Suddenly Baekhyun and Chaerin jumped away from eachother and looked up to see Jongdae and his puzzled expression.

“Umm…Minji’s parents arrived”

Upon hearing the words Chaerin quickly stood up and dashed past him to the waiting area. Jongdae looked after her before glaring at Baekhyun questionably.

“Did you and Chaerin almost-“

“Don’t be ridiculous” Baekhyun rolled his eyes and followed to the rest as well, unfortunately missing the dangerous smirk forming on Jongdae’s face.

 

 

 

LATER

 

 

 

While Kris was still under the surgery Mrs. Gong came to the waiting area with delightful news – Minji was conscious, stable and ok, minus some bigger bruises and concussion.

Everyone, at least partly, stopped holding their breaths.

Luhan and Dara left as they had a flight to Tokyo in the early morning. They hesitated for few moments though.

In return another dose of people arrived: Taeyeon - dressed in her winter coat and pajamas, Jiyong – who, after the fight, looked like he needed to be put in a hospital himself and finally Hayi, Kyungsoo and Jongin.

“Where is she?! Where is Minji?!” Jongin roared, accompanied with his still present alcohol breath.

“Oi, easy” Yongguk got up from his chair and approached him, together with Himchan, Yukwon and Zico, forming a human-wall “She’s ok but needs to rest”

“Yeah, chill out men, get back home and go to sleep, you look like hell” Himchan nodded but quickly got pushed on the wall.

“Don’t tell me what to do!” Jongin gritted his teeth, tightening the grip on his collar “Where is she, what happened?!”

“Jongin, stop!” Jiyong stepped in as well “She’s fine”

“How come she’s fine?!” he snapped, whole attention abruptly on him “How did that happen?”

“There was an accident, Jongin, come on” Chanyeol and Sehun softly grabbed him by the arms and pushed him off pretty terrified Himchan “Minji is fine, it’s all that matters”

“Oh my god” Jongin covered his lips and swallowed the tears loudly “If I would have been there…And I wasn’t there…I…Oh god”

The whole group silently exchanged the stares, being absolutely crushed under the weight of the image in front of their eyes.

Kim Jongin, the junior boxing champion, the newest student in St. John’s and the fresh rather-optimistic-kid amongst them, was scared and devastated. And he did not know about Kris yet.

It was hard to look at.

“Come on Jongin” Taeyeon patted his shoulder “We’ll get you some tea while you’ll wait for Minji’s parents. They should be done talking to the doctors soon”

He looked up and nodded, attempting to smile and taking a deep breath. And just when Jongin felt the calmness filling him he saw in the corner of his eye the whole boxing group whispering something between them.

It triggered him somehow.

“Why didn’t you call me?”

Suddenly Yongguk, Chaerin, Himchan, Jiyong, Zico and Yukwon looked at him questionably.

“Excuse me?”

“Why didn’t you call me earlier?!” Jongin rushed past Taeyeon, facing the rest “It’s all your ing fault!”

“Kid, we know you’re upset” Jiyong started, still wincing from pain when moving his face muscles “But you need to calm down instead of making a ing scene and looking for a scapegoat”

“Besides we were calling you” Yongguk crossed his arms “And it’s entirely your fault you’ve been too passed out to notice”

Now Jongin gritted his teeth, the blood boiling.

“You ers…It’s all you! All because of you! All because of that stupid boxing-“

And then it happened as Zico took few fast steps forward and punched Jongin straight in the face, sending his body to the floor with a loud thud.

“One more word, face!” he snarled while pointing at him and not minding everyone shouting and coming between the two of them as Jongin was quickly back on his feet and ready to fight back.

The screams and overall mayhem quickly gained the unneeded attention as few nurses, guards and two police officers - who were still roaming around the hospital gathering information about the accident - came to the waiting area within seconds.

“What is going on there!” one of them called while pointing at two teenagers ready to jump at each other again “You and you! You’re coming with us!”

“ID’s and names, now!” the other policeman added. Jongin sighed and rolled his eyes while everyone became silent.

Everyone but Zico.

“My name is Woo Jiho” he grinned mischievously for the first time in few months “And I’m back”

 

 

LATER

 

 

Yukwon groaned tiredly as soon as he climbed onto his father’s Bentley’s hood. He made himself comfortable before searching his pocket for the last dose of weed and finally started rolling a joint. Tonight was a disaster so he truly earned and deserved those upcoming puffs.

Suddenly the lights in the Kim’s residency garage went on.

Yukwon quickly turned in the direction of the entrance, spotting his siblings – older brother Minseok and younger sister Hyuna - there. A sigh of relief escaped his mouth.

“Why aren’t you guys asleep?” he lit up “It’s 4 in the morning”

“Yeah, we had a zombie movies marathon” Hyuna giggled and then jumped on the hood next to him “But then we heard you sneaking in”

“” Yukwon moaned “Did I wake dad up?”

“Not now” Minseok chuckled before sitting on the hood as well “But few hours before, when you called for a surgeon, then yeah”

Yukwon passed him the joint and looked up at the ceiling without a word.

“Care to share what happened?” Hyuna poked his side “Daddy only said that you seemed panicked”

“This night is a closter and really, I don’t feel like talking about it now” he smiled at her faintly “How was your day guys, tell me”

“Nothing spectacular” Minseok took a solid puff before handing a blunt to their sister “We got back home, went shopping for new snowboards, got a Greek takeaway and then zombies”

“No party?” Yukwon raised an eyebrow at his siblings but they both just shook their heads “Jelly. I should’ve stayed home too”

“Yeah, you should have” Hyuna sang “Then you wouldn’t have missed your friend stopping by”

Now Yukwon gaped at her.

“What? I’m pretty sure all my friends were together with me today”

“Really? Then what about Key?”

Yukwon’s eyes widened but he did not dare to say a word. He silently watched Hyuna smiling warmly at him as if waiting for her to continue.

“He said you’re not returning his calls and messages” Minseok joined “He looked genuinely upset and he seems like a good guy. I like him”

“Yeah, me too” Hyuna grinned and then put her head on Yukwon’s shoulder “Don’t push him away”

Yukwon opened his mouth to say something but the words were nowhere to be found. Although, he looked calm.

“You still haven’t told them, have you?” Minseok asked while the smoke gracefully surrounded his posture. Yukwon just shook his head in answer.

“And why is that?”

“Because I’m scared?!” the blonde snapped in response, a little too harsh for his liking but it did not affect his siblings. Another heavy sigh.

“Listen, I am not sure how they will react…Yongguk, well, I bet he’ll understand but the rest? Himchan? Kyung? And me, Zico?!”

“How about Dara? And that cute boyfriend of hers?” Hyuna proposed and smiled upon seeing Yukwon’s relaxing features all of the sudden “Maybe start with her? She’s an angel”

“She is, indeed” Yukwon nodded “But that doesn’t change he fact that Key shouldn’t have come here…I’ve never promised him anything, we just made out few times…It’s a bit stalkerish”

“It’s not stalkerish” Minseok chuckled “He’s been worried about you, that’s all. Don’t lose a guy like him just because you’re scared to come out to your friends. Also, if they won’t be supportive then I guess they’ve never been your friends in the first place”

Yukwon looked at his older brother with slightly widened eyes but nodded nonetheless, because as always – Minseok was absolutely right.

 

 

 

NEXT DAY

 

 

 

Jiyong was not surprised when he saw a black eye, a bruise over his nose (good it was not broken though, he thought) and a cut on lower lip in his mirror reflection.

His back was sore too since he got a pretty good kick aiming his kidneys. Not to mention liver – that hurt.

He could just sigh deeply in little defeat – he really looked terrible. Honestly, he did not remember the last time it was that bad.

Still it was not the main thing he was concerned about – last night was intense and ironically, it had nothing to do with his barely won fight. What more – it also had nothing to do with the fact that he finally confessed to Taeyeon and that she, somehow marvelously, said it back. Or was it the other way around? Not that it really mattered now.

Kris and Minji getting into an accident was just foreshadowing the chaos that came after – because everyone lost it that night. Jongin, Yongguk, Chaerin, Luhan, Dara, even Zico…Jiyong never thought he will be in this position but really, he was worried. Everything was slowly falling apart and he could not help but to ask himself how come they all ended up in this situation.

They were just tempered kids trying to make some extra money with their martial arts skills, that was it. When it came to him and Dara – they were just supposed to keep an eye on Jongin, silently following Choi Seunghyun’s orders. That plan backfired a long time ago, too.

And now they were here.

He did not really care about Kris but hell, the punk was now fighting for his leg. And somehow Jiyong was sure it was all connected.

A doorbell took him back to reality.

He made his way to the main entrance and opened the door, seeing Taeyeon there. Jiyong, in this whole bruised and tattooed existence, had to fight an urge to laugh upon seeing her dressed in a pastel-pink dress and white coat, while her perfectly manicured hands held a pie. They really made an odd couple.

“Merry Christmas!” she grinned and went inside, pecking him softly on the lips “I brought you a cheesecake”

“I’m lactose intolerant, remember?” he grinned back and hugged her from behind when she was busy with putting the cake on the table “What are you doing here Chicken? It’s Christmas day. You should be spending some nice time with you family instead of checking on your bat crazy boyfriend”

“I’m not checking on you and you’re not bat crazy” Taeyeon rolled her eyes playfully and turned around to link her arms around his neck “But actually yeah, Christmas, that’s why I’m here…”

She became more serious and took few steps back as if being scared of his reaction.

“I’ve been thinking…Um…While Dara and Luhan are in Tokyo with your family and you stayed here alone…I mean I know you don’t celebrate and that you’re not a family-bonding type of guy but still, it’s Christmas” she breathed deeply and looked him in the eye “Join me and my parents for dinner”

Jiyong blinked his eyes in surprise and Taeyeon covered her face upon seeing that.

“It’s too early to meet my parents? Damn, I should’ve known…”

“No, no, no!” Jiyong quickly held her hands and started to soothingly massage her knuckles “Chicken, I know we officially became a thing just yesterday but I feel like we’ve been together for some time now” he smiled gently “But Christmas? Carols? Presents? That’s really not my thi-“

And then he stopped when he saw that although Taeyeon was smiling her eyes became down. Apparently, that really was important for her and Jiyong quickly decided she was his priority now.

A loud sigh.

“Actually” he gave up “I should have some shirt in the back of my closet”

“Really?” her eyes sparkled immediately and Jiyong just smiled while nodding. She closed him in a hug “Thank you”

“No problem” he said and pulled away but not before kissing her forehead “I’ll go and change and also check if Dara has left something to cover this up” Jiyong pointed at his bruised face and disappeared behind the bathroom’s doors.

It looked like Dara indeed left all her makeup stuff at home – not that she was using it on a daily basis anyway. Jiyong quickly grabbed a tube with foundation and started to smear the liquid on his face, tapping it softly in more critical spots.

After few minutes of the same movements he looked in the mirror again, being pleasantly surprised with the effect. It was not perfect but definitely better than possibly presenting himself to Taeyeon’s parents as the beaten plum he currently was.

Then he took another look, focusing his sight on how the foundation accidently covered the little cross tattoo under his eye.

Then he looked at his hands – they were almost completely covered in the ink from past years. That got him thinking again before he pushed on the tube a little harder and splashed th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter