The royals

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You will stay home until the end of the week. I called the principal already” Joonmyun said while stopping at the red light “The doctor said you still need to rest a little”

“Cool” Jongdae answered, making it the first thing he said this morning.

Joonmyun sighed and moved his head a little, catching a glimpse of his younger brother in the corner of his eye.

The Kim Junior - how he was always called - looked absolutely terrible, his state somehow worse than in the past few days when he was recovering in a hospital.

The Kim Senior – how he was always called – exactly knew what was the reason of his brother’s state but just like in the past years he decided to skip the tough issue, pretending like he was not informed at all.

Too bad he could not ignore it now, as the view of Jongdae was truly breaking his heart.

Funny thing though.

Jongdae always tended to yell at Joonmyun, calling him unemotional and cold and wishing him to experience the pain of broken heart to actually feel alive.

He never predicted that he himself will cause it.

“Is that woman…” Joonmyun gulped, not daring to say the name out loud “Is she in touch with you?”

“She was few days ago” Jongdae simply answered, his forehead still resting on the car’s window “When she broke up with me”

“It’s good she did”

Joonmyun’s voice, as always, was unbelievably stable but somehow it sounded different. It sounded like he was not sure what he was saying at all. He took a deep breath and continued.

“Do not get me wrong. I, as strange as it seems, have nothing against your relationship with her but she just…She knows better. You know it is all for your good, right?”

He turned his head, looking at his younger brother with a firm but approachable and somehow supportive stare.

Jongdae’s eyes widened in response. It was just surreal.

“From now on you will be living with me” he said again, his eyes focused on the road again “I’m afraid mom will have to take care of herself first”

“Cool” Jongdae whispered “But leave her out of it. She’s still devastated after dad left her”

“I know” he sighed “But there are priorities”

Again today Jongdae looked at Joonmyun with disbelief, speechless like he was never before. It was not because he surprised him, but because he inspired him.

It was about time. Joonmyun was an older brother after all.

“Hyung” Jongdae gulped “I love you”

The car stopped at another red light, this time Joonmyun pressing the brake pedal a little bit too hard.

The older man blinked his eyes, not sure how to respond. Jongdae was just sitting there, the soft smile visible on his face.

There was only one way to answer it and Joonmyun knew exactly what that was.

“I love you too kiddo”

It was the first time Jongdae heard these words coming out from Joonmyun’s mouth and he could not help it as he grinned widely, nodding his head.

He looked back at the road before them, staring at the red light. In the corner of his eye he saw Joonmyun doing the same thing, in complete but comfortable silence.

Finally he opened the doors, jumping from the car and running to the nearest subway station across the street.

Joonmyun paled and went out from the car as well, stopping by the opened doors and seeing how Jongdae’s figure is getting smaller and smaller in the crowded area.

“Jongdae!” he called frantically after him “What are you doing?!”

“You said it yourself!” Jongdae yelled in response “There are priorities!”

Joonmyun’s jaw dropped as he shook his head and went back to the car, deciding to ignore other drivers who were honking at him.

He started the car and smiled to himself.

It was not because he surprised or amused him, but because he was finally starting to understand and to mature.

It was about time. Jongdae was a younger brother after all.

 

 

After taking two subway lines and spending almost 40 minutes on getting to the right station – there he was, in front of the apartment where Park Bom lives.

He still knew the key combination so he stood in the front of the main entrance to her flat much faster than he assumed.  The doors were closed though.

He looked around the corridor, finally spotting the big flowerpot near the neighbor’s doors. And just like many times before he found the key under it, waiting just for him as he was the only person who knew about it.

He opened the doors, deciding to wait for her until she will be back from her, presumably, new workplace. His phone was ringing all the time but he was sure that Joonmyun will somehow understand.

He entered the salon and that was the moment when his grin dropped.

Somehow he felt like his heart dropped too.

 

Jongdae took a deep breath, what he did with a lot of effort as he started to look around the completely empty apartment.

He took another one, finally daring to move his feet and going to the bedroom.

The only thing he saw was a bed frame.

And then he spotted an envelope, lying on the windowsill. He smiled bitterly upon seeing her handwriting on it.

 

Chenchen.

 

Of course she knew he would come here, that was why she left the key in the first place.

 

He never knew why but she tended to call him like that. Their situation was already bad, addressing anything by his real name would be too suspicious. Just in case, of course.

She always knew better anyway.

 

Finally he reached for the envelope, opening it and reading the letter, feeling his jaw to move frantically upon doing this.

 

 

Dear Chenchen,

I hope you are taking good care of yourself.

As you are reading it I am already far away, without intention and desire to come back.

Please do not look for me.

From the bottom of my heart I really do love you but I hope it will not last forever. It would be just wrong.

You are the real bluebird and I cannot take any of it from you anymore.

Please go, smile, sing and live but I am begging you, do all of that without me.

 

I never expected you to come to my life but that was the most precious moment I can recall.

And I hope I will hear your singing someday from afar.

 

Go and spread your wings, bluebird. And in the meantime, please, let me go.

 

I am sorry for loving you.

 

B.

 

 

Jongdae kept on reading the letter, again and again, memorizing almost every word by heart.

Finally he stopped, feeling his vision to get more blurry.

“Let me go” he repeated and laughed bitterly “As you wish”

And for the first time in his life Kim Jongdae fet his eyes getting teary. He was ready to feel the real tears – not the ones he knew after breaking his leg when he was 6 years old or the ones he used to share with his friends when they were doing some hilarious and crazy stuff together.

This time the tears were different.

 

And they say the boys do not cry.

It was simply nonchalant to say that.

 

 

 

MEANTIME

 

 

 

Luhan could not recall the last time when some exact pieces in his life collected themselves in one, full part so perfectly.

Firstly Sehun being curious what falling in love looks like.

Secondly Sehun being kind of nicer and more approachable.

Finally Luhan himself finding Sehun and Dara at the roof, having some random chat like they were friends. Not that he minded as he was even happy about it.

But now this portrait.

The portrait still being held high by Kyung.

“Kyung” finally Yukwon’s voice was heard at the corridor “Put. It. Down”

Kyung blinked his eyes, looking around the rest with a frown.

“What’s going on?” he asked “I thought he’s in the arts or something! It’s not like he’s creating for himself right? The world needs to see this! Guys, let’s make photocopies! Can we use it as a cover of the band’s album? Dara’s the guitarist now anyway!”

“Shut up you !” Zico hissed and gazed between everyone, feeling the tight atmosphere flying around already. And in that moment Kyung finally understood, the smile dropping from his face immediately.

“Oh” he gasped and hid the picture behind his back “That is going on”

Dara just stood there, her eyes in the size of plates.

Jongin and Minji were almost sweating, knowing exactly what was going on.

Yukwon looked too calm but it was obvious he knew as well.

Himchan was nervous, glancing mostly between Luhan and Sehun, feeling the growing tension.

Baekhyun was just confused, his face scowling a little. He looked like he was mentally asking himself the questions he could not answer.

No wonder though as everyone was doing that, more or less. Everyone but Luhan and Sehun.

Sehun looked like a statue, unmoving and pale.

Luhan, on the other hand, was breathing heavily and that was somehow scary.

“Guys, the classes started” Yukwon spoke again, taking a step forward and ending the unpleasant silence “We should go. As for the painting” with that he took the drawing away from Kyung and passed it to Sehun “You’re talented. I heard about this lesson from Sulli…You had to portray some girl from school, right? Yeah, I always knew that Mr. Lee is somehow erted”

Sehun blinked his eyes, looking down at the smaller boy with disbelief. Was he just saving him?

Finally he looked at Luhan and it was the first time in his life when he saw his friend in this kind of state. He was disappointed, shocked but on the top of it he was angry.

“What is it about, Sehun?” finally Luhan asked, making everyone to look at him “Is it what I think it is?”

His voice was firm but it was heard that he was trying to control it.

Sehun gulped, absolutely speechless.

“Tell me it’s not that” Luhan spoke again “Just tell me!” he yelled and the whole group gasped.

“Luhan, don-“ Jongin grabbed his shoulder but he shoved his hand easily and took a step forward.

“Tell me!” he cried again and the whole group paled.

Finally Sehun looked away, not being able to hold his stare longer. His head dropped a little and that was the answer everyone expected but did not want to hear.

Everyone but one person.

Dara eyes widened and hung open a little. She was looking between two boys, not really believing in anything in front of her at the moment. Is was simply impossible.

Suddenly she blinked as Luhan’s voice filled the corridor again.

“ing bastard!”

And with that he hit Sehun straight in the face. Hard.

Before anyone could react Luhan jumped on the taller boy, pinning him to the ground and grabbing by the collar.

“Why her?” he roared “From all people! Why her?!”

 

“Do you think I wanted it?!”

 

Sehun, for the first time in the past few awkward minutes, spoke.

Luhan’s eyes widened as he loosened the grip on the shirt, slowly getting off his best friend. He looked around, already seeing every boy (even Zico and his hand in a cast) close enough to separate the fight.

But his stare landed on Dara, who was completely shaken, covering the half of her face with her hands. Additionally her eyes became teary.

Just like Luhan hated this view he could not help it, as the words came out form his mouth automatically.

“Pick one”

Everyone stopped in their tracks, looking at Luhan with panic.

“What?” Dara asked.

“Pick one!” Luhan, again today, yelled “Me” he pointed at himself and then at Sehun “Or him”

“Luhan, stop it!” Baekhyun cried “It doesn’t make any sense!”

“Shut the up” Luhan gritted his teeth and turned to Dara again “I’m asking one more time…Pick one. Me or Sehun”

Dara blinked her eyes, looking at the boy before her with disbelief. Was he serious?

Himchan shook his head and took a step forward, probably planning to take Dara away but he was stopped by Yukwon.

“Don’t” the blonde said firmly “It’s their business”

Finally Dara took a deep breath and her stare somehow changed.

“What the hell are you talking about?” she exclaimed “What picking?! There is no picking!”

Luhan paled and gulped, his face soften

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter