The sleepwalking

Bad Education
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Why are we here again?” Yukwon asked while looking around the nearest area “Are you scared of dentists and need us to hold your hand?”

“Shut up” Himchan hissed “Krystal’s father told me to come and check up on my implant. It will take like few minutes and then we’re going straight to pick up Chaerin and then to the rehearsal - the musical is tomorrow!”

“Right, I totally forgot you lost your tooth at the Jongin’s party a month ago” Yongguk laughed a little while scanning the place “Krystal’s father is a dentist?”

“Yeah and the owner of this place. I got that implant for free since Krystal is my buddy” Himchan explained and poked the perfectly looking fake tooth with his forefinger.

“Your buddy?” Yukwon and Yongguk exchanged the looks “Since when do you call girls buddies? Aren’t they just meat?”

“Not all of them” Himchan nodded and crossed his arms “Krystal is my old friend, Chaerin is my best friend’s girlfriend and Dara is, yes damn hot, but my bandmate. They are untouchable therefore buddies” he finally turned around to see two other boys with shocked expressions “What? I have my code!”

“Right” Yongguk rolled his eyes “Just don’t tell me you’re the next guy who doesn’t believe in love, has a heart of stone and actually enjoys his single status”

“ please, I’m not your old-new bestie Kris - don’t expect some emo from me” Himchan winged his eyebrows even though his voice was somehow sad. Yongguk only sighed as he felt like they were on the same argument again.

Yes, he indeed was in better terms with Kris now but it changed nothing and Himchan still remained his best friend forever. Yongguk knew Himchan was simply jealous but he did not feel like explaining him the same thing again.

But Himchan was smart so he felt the fatigue suddenly surrounding Yongguk’s figure. He knew very well that he should not be making any Kris centered comments again but he simply could not resist. He decided to change the topic nonetheless.

“And I believe in love” his statement was firm and bold “It’s just that my time did not come yet…I bet I will finally find a girl, my queen, who will knock me down and we will make the most epic couple ever, taking you and Chaerin or Luhan and Dara down the pedestal”

“I bet your story will be rather typical” suddenly Yukwon interrupted “You, the Casanova, will meet a girl who will not like the lifestyle you’re having thus your heart will be broken. And you will die out of sadness and pain writing the ultimately sad songs reflecting on your mistakes and ”

Only the silence was heard and Yukwon grinned mischievously.

“Guys, I’m kidding, you know my sense of humor”

“Not sure” both Yongguk and Himchan said with slightly frightened expressions.

Finally they reached the destined doors and Himchan went inside the room, leaving the other two outside.

After few more minutes and receiving a Snapchat message from Zico showing his they left the clinic. The cold, winter breeze hit their faces and the Christmas decorations hanging around the city occupied their views.

 “Ok, cigarette break. No smoking in my car” Yongguk announced and took the pack out of his pocket “, where’s my lighter?”

“I don’t have any either” Yukwon grimaced and looked at Himchan with a sign of hope. The taller boy just shook his head and looked around. Then he spotted a girl who was smoking on the other side of the stairs near the entrance.

She was tightly wrapped in a fashionable winter coat while in one of her gloved hands she was holding a cigarette, and a book in the other.

“Excuse me miss!” Himchan approached her “Do you have a lighter?”

She looked up from the tome, making her face clearly visible and flashing him an adorable smile.

Wow.

“Sure” she answered and took the lighter from her pocket “Here you have it” suddenly she started to blink rapidly and her smile faded a little “Are you ok?”

Himchan was surely not ok as he was staring like he saw a ghost. Yukwon and Yongguk quickly detected that something was up as they approached the other two, looking questionably at Himchan and apologetically at the dumbfounded girl.

“We apologize” Yongguk started and took the lighter gracefully from her hand “He just had his tooth checked and the anesthesia probably hit him to the fullest now”

Yukwon at the same time punched Himchan lightly in the ribs, signaling him to stop acting like an idiot.

But his face never changed and his eyes never left her.

The girl noticed that as well as her eyebrow perked a little.

“They gave him a dose for a horse then”

“I guess” Yongguk laughed nervously and scratched his head while waiting for Yukwon to light up his and Himchan’s cigarettes so he could end this awkward situation right away. His eyes drifted to her book “Oh, Irvin Welsh? One of my favorite authors!”

“Really?” the girl caught the change-of-topic game perfectly “Have you read this one? It’s my favorite by him” she showed him the cover.

Now Yongguk’s eyebrow perked a little.

‘Filth’ was definitely one of the best books Welsh ever wrote but that was rather pleasantly unexpected to hear this kind of statement from such a posh girl. Not that he was being judgmental, no.

Before he could comment on that he saw Yukwon returning the lighter.

“Much thanks” he said and flashed his trademark smile “And we’re sorry for our friend. I think he’s just stunned by your beauty. Oh, but don’t tell your boyfriend I told you that!”

“No worries, I don’t have a boyfriend” she laughed softly what made Yukwon to wide his eyes.

“What?! Why?” the question escaped his mouth before he thought how rude that sounded “I mean, I’m sorry, it’s not my business…”

“Don’t worry” she waved her hand “Boys lie, cheat, steal hearts and break them. I’m good without it”

“You sound hurt” Yukwon suddenly continued, completely ignoring Yongguk’s warning stares.

“I’m not hurt” she shrugged her shoulders “I’m just bored of it”

And now three boys, even Himchan, looked completely lost and shocked, staring at the girl with some mix of respect and amazement.

“So, have a nice day gentlemen” she put the cigarette in the ashtray and winked at them “And remember to treat your girls right”

With no more word or look she left the group and entered the clinic.

Yongguk and Yukwon finally got back to their senses and gazed at Himchan, who still looked like he was about to collapse.

“Dude, care to share what happened?” Yukwon started.

“Guys, I-I…” he hesitated for a moment “I think I fell in love”

Yukwon and Yongguk paled.

“What?”

“That girl” he pointed with his shaking finger at the clinic’s main doors “She’s…Oh lord”

“And you did nothing?” Yukwon crossed his arms “No, sorry, you were staring like a psycho. Way to go Kim Himchan!”

“But guys, she’s just…Wow!”

“Will you do something about it?” Yukwon pushed.

“Are you nuts?” Himchan fumed at him “I’m experiencing this kind of feeling for the first time ever, of course I won’t do anything about it! Let me explore myself now!”

Yukwon sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Oh for ’s sake, you’re hopeless”

“I’m not!” now Himchan raised his forefinger “I will deal with this odd stuff going on with me and then I will find her!”

“How?”

“She’s the patient” Himchan pointed at the clinic again “I will ask Crystal about the patients’ list and she will tell me! Then I will find her on Facebook! And then Instagram! And then-”

“Stop it, it’s ridiculous” Yukwon laughed and took his way down to the parking lot where Yongguk’s car was “She’s just another pretty meat on your way”

“She’s not” suddenly Yongguk added “And even you know that”

Yukwon stopped and exchanged looks with him, letting the cigarette smoke escape his mouth nonchalantly.

Sadly Yongguk was right again.

The girl maybe looked like taken straight from Kim Taeyeon’s group of clone friends but her vibes and attitude were…Well, like taken straight from probably Kwon Jiyong.

That girl was far from taking anyone’s and that was obvious.

Both Yukwon and Yongguk sighed and looked at their friend with the same expression. Himchan looked incredibly hyped and cheerful but somehow they hoped that the girl will never cross his path again.

How to describe her massive aura – they could not tell. The only word that came to their minds was impressive.

 

 

 

MEANWHILE

 

 

 

“What?” Jongin exclaimed while looking at Choi Seunghyun with shocked expression “Excuse me Mr. Choi, but are you kidding?”

“Cut it, Jongin” Jiyong, being present in the office as well, rolled his eyes “You knew it will eventually happen”

“But I was scheduled for about 5 more fights!” the champion cried “You can’t just cut me!”

“Noone’s cutting you” Mr. Choi’s voice was calm but firm “The amount of the bet money for your upcoming 2 fights will cover Zico’s absence to the fullest. The next fight is tomorrow and the last one after New Year’s Eve. After that I’m letting you go as Zico’s hand recovered…Unless-“

“But he still can’t fight! The rehabilitation will take some time! He can’t even train during classes yet!”

“Unless you want to stay and fight for me” Choi Seunghyun ended his previous sentence like Jongin never interrupted, what made his eyes to sparkle and Jiyong’s jaw to drop “You’re always welcomed here”

“Hyung!” he protested and took Jongin by him arm, dragging him outside “That’s not what you’ve promised…” Jiyong added before closing the doors behind them.

Choi Seunghyun sighed and narrowed his eyes while looking after them and then at his right-hand man and main bookmen, Seungri, who was also present in the office.

“Our little Dragon is getting too bossy recently…” Mr. Choi commented and Seungri just snickered while preparing the drinks for him and his boss.

“You practically raised him Hyung, so you know him” he stated while opening the bottle of scotch “He’s weepy after Tokyo and he treats Jongin cautiously. Jiyong’s loyal so it’s not gonna change”

“He should know better to whom he should be loyal first” Choi Seunghyun snapped in response “Jongin is an amazing fighter and the public likes him…What more, it seems like he likes the public as well. I’m not into losing him because Jiyong’s scared that someone will repeat his mistakes!”

“It’s the closed circle. Takamasa made a mistake, then Jiyong made a mistake, Zico was close to that as well…Now it’s time for Jongin and later Jimin. Those kids never know when to stop”

“Takamasa…That sounds strange. I don’t remember the last time someone besides Dara called him that” Choi Seunghyun laughed “But that doesn’t change the fact that Jiyong is questioning my fighters therefore my business. I think his time is coming”

“So whatcha gonna do?” Seungri passed him the glass and made a small toast “Replace him? Threat his family? It’s not really fair Hyung, he’s in Seoul because of you in the first place, you placed him in that damn school because of Kim Jongin. Telling him to leave the ring doesn’t seem like an option as well, Jiyong is one of a kind”

“He was” Choi Seunghyun took a small sip “I have Jongin, Zico, Jimin and apparently some new kids coming”

“So what now?” Seungri pushed, knowing his boss and companion well enough to be sure that he already had some plan. And he was right, as Choi Seunghyun’s smirk was now deep and visible.

“I already started with turning them against each other ”

 

Jiyong finally let go of Jongin’s arm when they were already at the arena, making sure that Choi Seunghyun and Seungri will not hear a thing.

“Are you ing nuts?!” he yelled “He’s giving you an offer and you actually want to accept it?!”

“I never accepted it! Stop telling yourself stories!” Jongin snapped back but then his face quickly softened.

He was more aware of everything about Jiyong when he shared his story with him last month. He knew very well that Jiyong was simply afraid and tried to help but at the same time he was tired of his overprotectiveness.

In the past month everything was more than fine but one thing was bothering Jongin to the maximum – he was not fighting at all. He had one fight and got directions to give up in the middle of 3rd round. This time he did.

The training sessions in school were simply ridiculous and Jongin started to think if Trainer Choi is actually taking the group seriously. Lately he was not even present during classes.

At this point he really missed his group and trainer back in the US and somehow he could not wait to be back. But then what about Minji and his life here in Seoul? Recently everything from the personal side of Jongin’s life was marvelous. His relationship with Minji was blooming, he was getting ready for exams together with Kyungsoo and Jongdae, later getting drunk at band’s rehearsals and finally going to the point where he was able to speak with his parents again. Was that not enough?

He sighed.

“I’m sorry. I just need…Fighting. And I’m about to explode”

“I know” Jiyong nodded and lit up a cigarette, the flame making his face-bruises and cuts after the last fight more visible “You were training since you were little. It’s all you can do”

“Riiight” Jongin rolled his eyes and then pointed with his chin at the ring “Wanna help me out?”

Now Jiyong rolled his eyes and thought for a moment. This kid, really.

“Just few kicks and we’re going home. I have a fight tomorrow as well!”

“Whatever you say!” Jongin laughed and ran straight to the ring, getting prepared for a small training with his main combat companion.

Jiyong stepped on a cigarette and went after him in slow steps.

“Seriously dude, where do you get that energy from? I thought you’re the one here who’s actually having regular ! Aren’t you tired?”

 

 

 

THE NEXT DAY

 

 

 

Kim Taeyeon sneaked from one of the corridors to another, trying to avoid as many people as she could. To be quite honest she was actually avoiding just one particular person. From the past few weeks she was a chaos and her messy hair today was just doubling the effect. The exams were just around the corner together with Christmas, Jessica’s comeback and ‘The Beauty and the Beast’. The summary: Kim Taeyeon was incredibly tired, busy, sleep-lacking and…clumsy.

“You’re not returning my texts”

Taeyeon jumped in her spot and dropped her books when she saw Jiyong leaning against her locker. She somehow got used to it but she got scared each time he was doing that.

“Jesus Christ, Jiyong! You scared the crap out of me” she took a deep breath and leaned down to collect her notes. He was already helping her with that “Thank you”

“No problem” he flashed her a charming smile and then winged his eyebrows “So? Now you’re not returning my texts and before that you ditched me for about 3 times”

“I know and I’m sorry” her head dropped a little “You know I’m busy…Just because you don’t study doesn’t mean that no one is!”

“C’mon Chicken, the exams are after Christmas break! You still have a lot of time to study”

“Of course and I will! I’m not even in the middle of the whole material yet!” Taeyeon explained and then looked closely at Jiyong. She felt stupid and hurt because actually she missed him a lot. When last night she got a text from him during the study session with Dara, Luhan and Chaerin she felt incredibly happy and was smiling to herself like an idiot but before she managed to text him back she fell asleep.

“And about yesterday, well, I…”

“Went to the dreamland and your cellphone hit your face, I can imagine” he crossed his arms and then grinned again “That’s so you”

“You little…” Taeyeon fumed a bit and then stared at Jiyong again, the sudden concern visible in her eyes “You got in a fight again?”

Jiyong just nodded.

The current state of his face was there from few solid days but he did not see Taeyeon during that time. He knew very well that she was too smart to go for his ‘kickboxing training’ explanations so each time when he was looking like hell after matches in Choi Seunghyun’s club he was just coming up with some ‘pub fight’ bull. So far it worked.

Seeing that Jiyong has nothing more to say she closed the locker and started to walk to her classroom, with him on the side.

“So, you’re not coming to the musical today?” she asked, her voice low. Jiyong’s eyebrow perked.

“And why is that? You don’t want me there?”

“No!” Taeyeon practically covered when she heard how desperate that sounded “I mean, no, of course I want you there. It’s just that I heard Dara and Luhan talking about Christmas in Tokyo so I assumed-“

“Oh, that” he laughed “They’re leaving in 2 days I believe. Luhan is meeting our parents during Christmas and then they’re going for New Year’s Eve to Beijing. I’m staying home”

“For Christmas? Alone?” that made Taeyeon stop “Really?”                        

“Well, yeah” Jiyong shrugged his shoulders “I’m not religious nor a family man so it’s ok. Just me, Playstation and weed”

That statement made Taeyeon kind of sad. She herself was quite reserved when it was coming to the real meaning of Christmas but being completely alone on that day? It hurt.

When she was about to invite him for a family dinner at her place she stopped – she had no rights to do that and she felt like it will make her look like an idiot again.

She and Jiyong were not together even though the happenings that occurred a month ago should let them be. It looked like the timing was just very bad.

Taeyeon became occupied with absolutely everything and even if she wanted to do something about them and make ‘her move’ - like he urged her to – she just could not.

What worse – she really needed to focus and the thoughts of a certain charismatic kickboxer had to go on the back of her skull. At least for now.

But what was the worse – Jiyong seemed to be waiting. And that concerned her the most. Was he really that patient? Was he that sure about her? Or maybe it all was just in her head…

They reached the classroom.

“So you’re coming tonight?”

“I am, no chances I will miss that” he smiled in response and started to walk away “I’m not ditching  people I like, you know. I hope you’ll pick that up from me!”

That made Taeyeon stop when her hand was already at the doorknob, but her heart began to beat faster and her smile to grow.

Maybe it all was not just in her head at all.

 

Jiyong made sure that Taeyeon entered the classroom and with a goofy smile on his face he turned to the stairs. And just then he almost run into other, slightly taller figure. He froze in a spot and paled.

“So it’s Kim Taeyeon?”

“What the Sehun, are you spying on me?”

Sehun just smirked in response.

“You’re distracted. And you look like ”

“Aww, thank you honey. It’s so awesome to have you” Jiyong mimicked him and they both went upstairs for their typical roof cigarette break before classes. The friendship between the two was rather odd but somehow made sense.

Jiyong was different from all of Sehun’s friends – he was not dumb like male models and not hyper like his school cafeteria tablemates. He was observant and simply fun, with an ability to make Sehun laugh – from time to time but that was still something. Obviously, he was not Luhan but for now that substitute was alright.

From Jiyong’s side Sehun also had some special and strange spot in his current life. At first he just wanted to check how far he could go with driving him nuts but surprisingly, Sehun was very patient. And a good drinking companion.

“And you guys still go to the rooftop? Even in the winter time?”

Jiyong and Sehun stopped in their spot upon seeing other two people going downstairs in their direction.

It was Dara and Luhan, holding hands as always.

“Seriously guys, what’s up with you all today? Do you want to give me a heart attack or something?!” Jiyong yelled.

“Stop thinking about that special someone so you will be more observant, therefore people will not scare you” Sehun winged his eyebrows while Dara and Luhan looked at Jiyong with sparks in their eyes.

“Who is special someone?!”

“What the hell Ji? Do you have a crush?! And you didn’t tell me? I’m your sister!”

Jiyong massaged his temples while giving Sehun a death glare. The model just shrugged his shoulders before exchanging awkward hellos with the couple.

Sehun was getting back to his old terms with Luhan and starting to be finally ‘ok’ with Dara but still, when the whole trio was in one room the tension was obvious.

Fortunately, this time Jiyong was there as well. After few more questions about the special someone he ran to the roof and Sehun followed. The couple stayed behind at the stairs with their jaws dropped.

“Ji has a crush?!” Dara asked “So it’s official…”

“What’s official? You still think it’s Taeyeon?”

“I’m sure it’s Taeyeon” the girl nodded while turning to the wing where her locker was located “You saw them few times, they’re texting, they give each other some strange glances…”

“Well, it makes sense but it’s just…I don’t know” Luhan scratched the back of his head “Jiyong doesn’t seem like a relationship person, you know. But he’s not a player either”

“He’s-“ Dara stopped and gave it a second thought “He’s good. It’s not easy to catch his interest or heart but once someone does it – he’s decided. There is no force that will stop him but he’s thinking about this other person as well. He will give them space, time and basically whatever they need. And want”

“Wow” Luhan just blinked “Sounds like the best boyfriend material…But wait, weren’t we talking about something else?”

Dara just rolled her eyes and slammed the locker after taking her books out and going straight to her class.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter