Taemin's Break Down and Minam's Magic

Birthday Gift

After Minam had left Hani’s house, she went directly to the university. She had classes. Yet her mind was not at peace. Something was troubling her. She knew very well what. She needed answers about Hani and Minho’s relationship. Yet there seemed to be no way to find out. Key was not answering her calls and Hani had refused to talk. She needed to refresh herself. Therefore she asked for a leave from the university and went out. She had planned to go home. Yet while walking to the bus stop she realized that she needed some space. At home she would also feel suffocate. She needed to be completely alone to clear her thoughts. Hence she took a bus and decided to go to the park.

Meanwhile in his own room, Taemin was thinking. When he came home Onew tried to talk to him but he just hid himself in his room. Jonghyun did not say anything like he did for Key and this mad e Taemin’s heart sank. Did that mean Jonghyun doesn’t care about him like he said he does not care about Minho earlier? Taemin wanted to find a way to patch up the rift between his hyungs. Jonghyun was not ready to apologize to Key. T he latter would not come out not even at Taemin’s request. Minho had also closed himself in his room and Onew was saying to give them some time to calm down. Yet Taemin felt that he could not stay idle. He needed to do something. He took out his phone and stared at the contacts. “She is the only one who can help me now…” Taemin thought.

Minam was looking at the small children playing cheerfully. “How I wish we were kids…the children are truthful. They don’t hide anything. They always report each of their observation to each other or to their parents. They are so unaware of the complications of life…”Minam thought. Suddenly her mobile started to vibrate. She looked at it and saw that it was Taemin. For one moment she thought about how Taemin knew her number. Then she realized that they had all exchanged numbers to stay in contact.

“Hi Tae baby! What’s up?” Minam said trying to be cheerful, though she was a bit down herself. “I’m quite okay. Can we meet right now?” Taemin asked in a gloomy voice. Minam wondered what was wrong with him. She told him that they could meet on the small bridge in the park and instructed him the way to the park. She then hung up. She walked around the park to the small bridge. It would take Taemin only fifteen minutes to reach there. Therefore she decided to wait for him there itself. She put her elbows on the railing and slightly bent forward to stare at the fishes and swans. It was so peaceful right there. She admired the nature for some more minutes when she felt a hand on her shoulder. Minam turned around to be face to face with Taemin.

Taemin smile lightly seeing the cheerful smile on Minam’s face. Yet Minam could not be fool. She looked at the young man before her. Though he was already an adult, he was still the maknae of the group and the little son of his Key Umma. Minam hugged him. Taemin’s eyes opened wide and cleared his throat as Minam released him from the hug. “So… what happened?” Minam asked Taemin. Taemin was still in a shock from the hug. He did not expect Minam to just hug him like this. Taemin shook his head and looked intensely at Minam. “Why did you hug me?” Taemin asked. Minam simply smiled and replied, “You needed it. Why don’t we go and sit on that bench?” Taemin nodded and they walked to the small bench next to the pond.

Taemin sighed and looked up at the sky. Minam was even more worried now. Taemin seemed so troubled. “So…what happened?” Minam asked once again. Taemin was gazing at the sky. Te soft breeze was rustling their hair. For one moment people around could think that they were lovers. Yet that was not the case. Taemin was perplexed and scared. Minam was worried now for him and also for the Shinee. Minam stared at Taemin intensely, waiting for an answer desperately Taemin sighed and finally asked, gazing at the sky, “Do you love my Umma?” Minam was taken aback. She had expected an answer not such a question. She started fumbling with her white dress and stumbled while replying, “Yeah…I love your Umma. I mean he is a star right?” Taemin let another sigh. “That was not what I meant…” Taemin thought. He lowered his head. His bang was falling in his eyes, preventing from the others to see the tears in his eyes. Minam glanced at him. She was uncomfortable because of that sudden question but also because she felt that she did not really answer Taemin’s question. Yet more than anything she was worried for him. It felt like Taemin wanted to talk but could not do so freely. Minam sighed and got up suddenly. Taemin lifted his head to look at Minam. Yet the latter was already walking away. Or rather, Minam ran away shouting, “WAIT FOR ME TAEMINNIE! DON’T MOVE FROM HERE!” Taemin stared at the figure of Minam going away. He was shocked. “Who the hell just leave like that? She is crazy…” Taemin thought with a light smile.

After sometime Minam arrived holding two ice candies in her hands. She handed one to Taemin. The latter had his eyes wide open. He took it from Minam and started eating it. They finished their ice candies in silence. “You know you are crazy?” Taemin asked Minam. Minam looked at him surprised before laughing out. “Yup! I know that…” Minam replied. Taemin smiled at her. Yet Minam could see the pain in Taemin’s eyes. She came closer to Taemin and asked him once again, “So... What’s wrong? Have your Umma said anything to you?” Taemin shook his head before breaking into tears. He managed to say in his sobs, “My…My Umma is crying in his room. Jonghyun Appa yelled at him for ….for being late yesterday… he came late at home… when he was on a date with you…Appa…Appa also said that….that he does not care about Minho Oppa… Oppa became angry and closed himself in his room…. Appa does not even care about me… Because even when I left home without saying anything earlier… he did not say anything… No one loves me… My Umma did not even open the door… not even when I asked him.” Minam looked at the crying boy next to her. She quickly hugged him and let him cry on her shoulder. She remained silence. “You know… Minam… I… I’m scared…” Taemin muttered through his tears. Minam asked him gently, “Why? Why are you scared my Tae baby?” Taemin broke in tears even more as he answered, “I’m afraid my Umma will leave me if he dates you… He will forget me. Appa does not seem to care about me like he cares about Umma. What will I do alone? Then if Umma dates a girl… he will be a father not my Umma… he and Appa will continue to fight. The group will be disbanded. I will be all alone. I’m afraid to be alone Minam. I’m scared. I don’t want my Umma to leave me. I don’t want to be away from Umma and Appa. I don’t want my hyungs to break apart.” Minam hugged him tighter and whispered in his ears, “No one will take your Umma away from you. He will always love you the most whether he dates a boy or a girl… and your Jonghyun Appa loves you too. He was just too worried about your Umma that he did not say anything to you that’s all. Your hyungs love you a lot Taeminnie.” Taemin pulled away from Minam and thanked her. He was feeling better. He suddenly let himself go.

Taemin put his head in Minam lap and closed his eyes, a few last tear drops falling down from the corner of his eyes. Minam smiled lightly. She did not care about what the people around will say. They all could see an adult resting in her lap. Yet Minam could only see a scared child. Taemin spoke again, “You are so different from Hani…” Minam eyes opened widely as she asked why. Taemin opened his eyes and looked at Minam in her eyes, “Well, she believes that Umma will stop loving me as such when he will get married and have his own child. She said that then he will only love me like a brother not a child anymore. But you told me this would never happen.” Minam looked at him intensely. “Hani could not say such harsh words… I will have to ask her later on…” Minam thought. She smiled at Taemin and told him to get up if he was feeling better after dropping a kiss on his forehead. Taemin sat up feeling lighter. He felt like a burden had got off his heart.  Minam got up and gazed tenderly at Taemin. “Shall we go?” Minam said in a soft voice. Taemin could already feel his hope reappearing. With Minam’s help everything will be okay. He smiled widely and took her hand. They walked to Taemin’s car and got in. Taemin sat in the driver’s seat. “Minam is magical…”he thought.