Chapter 14: Took the bait

8 IS INFINITY

"Yesterday, in your voice I found strength
Today, I listened and found what it meant
Tomorrow I will believe the words I can't
Because I treasured the promise you wouldn't bent"

 

"So, how did it went?"

I looked at his direction and saw he still had his eyes on the road. It's funny how I felt so awkward sitting with Jiyong after a partial of the truth was revealed today. It wasn't a very good feeling. I did not even felt that feeling of freedom through the truth. It chained me even more.

I took a deep breath. "Not that fine but at least okay."

I lied. And he took the bait.

He nodded and did not speak. I looked away and tried to get myself away from thinking about the possibilities.

It makes me scared that the people I trusted are the ones who are stabbing me behind my back. It was like living a character the scriptwriter had put me in to. I was fooled. It hurts so much like a it is. I can't afford to receive such disappointment yet. My hands are too full of truths that it is weighing me down. The Donghae thing is still a present I could not accept wholeheartedly.

I know it sound so ridiculous but I just can't give away everything to Jiyong too. I can't tell him what happened because I am scared that I will loose him if he is part of the whole deal. I know it sounds crazy. But as crazy it may seem, there is a possibility. Just like how crazy Donghae lives after his funeral.

I just can't bear to trust anyone. I am so crushed.

The situation, It is still an overwhelming feeling that takes a lot of time to take in.

But come to think of it, Teddy oppa came before me but I am the one who is engaged with someone I do not know. And why did Teddy oppa tried to tie me up with Jaejoong in the first place?

No. Freaking. Way.

Is it, by any chance, the man I am supposed to get married to is Jaejoong?!

"Hey! You okay?"

I snapped my head to Jiyong's direction. He looked concerned. His eyes are telling me to confide to him but I just can't bring myself to. I am terribly confused.

I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to calm my nerves. Suddenly I felt dizzy with the burst of information I received and the possibility of my realizations.

Darn. Why is my life so complicated?

I have this funny feeling that everything that happened was like a show from the master puppeteer. The realization of what happened in Donghae's disappearance made me question the people who surrounds me.

I cannot trust anyone so easily now. What if the person I am supposed to marry, aside from the suspicion that it could be Donghae, is just around? Trying to observe me.

And that is creepy.

"Dara," I heard him call but I continued looking out of the window. "You want to grab something to eat first before I take you home?"

I nod without thinking. He sighed but I ignored him.

Jiyong bought me food before dropping me home. A smile and a thank you is all I could give to him before I closed the door. I did not wait for a reply as I wanted so much to be alone. So that I could think.

But on contrary, I wasn't able to think straight. I wasn't even given a chance to breathe again for awhile as to the reason that the very man sitting at the edge of my bed was no other than the man whom I call father.

What is he doing inside my room? Since when did he arrived?

His arrival surprised me as he rarely comes home. A very busy man he is indeed. One of the reasons why I questioned his presence.

I tried my very best to remain calm and I keep on reminding my self that he is still the man who is responsible for my existence. And that I should pull up my cool facade since he knew nothing that I knew something already.

"Appa." It came out almost a whisper but loud in enough to be heard in my almost empty room.

He stood up with his stoic face. Park Joo Hyuk, a man in his mid-50's still looks intimidating and powerful. He still has that authoritative aura surrounding him even if he is not facing business partners.

"Hello... daughter."

I felt shivers running down my spine as he breathed my name. It was so cold, without a lace of fatherly affection. But his eyes told me things. It was as if his eyes are searching mine.

"What brought you here, appa?" I stopped my lips from quivering.

"Can't I go home from my own home?" He raised his brow at me.

Home? He can call this deserted cold place a home? Ha! Why not? He is the ice king anyway.

Immediately I shook my head. "That's not what I meant, appa. I was just surprise to see you... in a long time." I fought the urge to be sarcastic since I don't want to taste his fury. And besides, I kind of miss dad. I don't want him to think it's not good to be home because only a bratty daughter will welcome you.

He studied me for awhile before turning to look at his watch. He tapped in once before returning his eyes on me. "We will dine out. Get yourself ready after 30 minutes."

I was able to breathe when he left my room. I haven't noticed I was holding my breath until he was gone. Appa's presence felt like he all the oxygen and life left inside my haven.

I readied myself for our suppose dine out. I wouldn't want to keep him waiting especially Appa's not the kind of man who wants to wait. I wore my black dress and put on a pink lipstick before I descended down The stairs.

My body froze when I saw who was waiting at the living room. He wore a suit just like the last time we "dined' in our hotel. His eyeglasses are nowhere to be found. Again, he gave me back the feeling of Kim Jaejoong before he started to ignore me.

Noticing my presence, he looked up and gave me a slight smile. I did not smile back as I regain descending. It was a y and hostile move but I care not. He knew from the very beginning I disliked his company and even so the mere mention of the word marriage. The thought even makes me want to curse.

Jaejoong stood up when I was coming near. He placed his two hands on his pockets. He nod to me in acknowledgment before we both sat down, me across him. It was good thing he did not even bother kissing me on the cheek or saying pleasantries. It only suggests that he has the idea I am not welcoming the idea of him around.

"What are you doing here?" I asked without preamble.

He shifted, looking nervous. Too far away from the cocky man he is. "My Appa called me," he raked his hair before continuing "he said your dad wants me to take you to dinner."

I clenched my jaw in anger. Stupid. I fell to the thought that appa wants to dine out with us because it is the only chance he gets.

"How can you be a fool to believe I wanted to go with you?"

Jaejoong was about to say something when his eyes landed not to me but what was behind me. I suddenly tensed when I heard his cold voice again. 
"Because I am telling you so."

I stood up and faced Park Joo Hyuk, still on his business suit but with a maid trotting behind him with a luggage. The scene looks familiar. He is again leaving.

"Good evening, Sir." Only then I noticed that Jaejoong was already beside me. He extended his hand and said, "I am Kim Jaejoong, Sir."

Father gave him the business man kind of smile and took Jaejoong's hand. "Ahhh," he said as if remembering something. "It has been a long time Mr. Kim."