2: New Life

Leap of Faith [Complete]

 2. New Life

 

I pull the blanket up to my head and covered everything. Someone was knocking on the door and I didn't feel like waking up yet but that someone was persistent. After five minutes of continuous knocking, I grumpily jumped out of bed and stomped my way to the door. I opened it (not looking at who it was) and walked back to the bed, covering myself up once again.

 

"Ren wake up, you're going to miss breakfast and you have an appointment with THAT guy." Shi hao -my best friend- said, shaking me violently.

 

I slowly open my eyes and sigh; minutes later I feel someone crawling from below and see shi hao underneath the blanket creeping up on me.

 

"Liu Liu~ wake up or else..." she said, showing her fingers and getting ready to tickle me. I quickly sit up and kick her lightly. I hate it when she doubles my name, be it the last or first.

 

"There, I'm up. Happy now?" I ask, frowning. She jumps and nods.

 

"I'll go and tell aunty you're awake, don't go back to sleep 'Kay? Or else..." she said, her eyes full of mischief.

 

I shake my head, this crazy punk. Something on the bedside table catches my eyes and I smile. So it wasn't a dream huh? Nothing was a dream. My silver medal shone when hit by light and underneath it is the calling card of the man last night.

 

"Jiè guó?" I say, converting back to my mother tongue, when I see the look of confusion on his face I now and apologize.

"I'm sorry. Excuse me?" I translate. He smiles.

 

"I'm scouting you to be the next face of our company. I saw you dance and we need talented and passionate people like you in the industry. You don't have to answer now, but since the duration of your stay here is limited then you need to think about it deeply and fast. Call me if you have any questions and I really hope you'll accept the offer." he says, leaving me dumbfounded.

 

I walked back to where the others were with my mind wandering. I never thought of becoming famous but it doesn't mean I shouldn't grab the opportunity either. My lessons aren't free and neither is it cheap, mom and dad have been working their selves off for how many years and I promised to give them a good life; if I accept this offer I would probably be able to give them that and much more.

 

"What's wrong xião nū?" my mom asked when I arrive; I look at her, smile then sigh.

 

"Mā, an offer came." I told her, not meeting her eyes.

 

She asked more about it and I told her everything. After she asked me,

 

"Do you want to take it? Would it make you happy?" her voice gentle and comforting.

 

"I don't know mā but you know me, I want to try everything new. I'm impulsive and dumb like that." I answered, looking at the floor.

 

“Don’t say that. That impulsiveness brought you here didn't it?" she said.

 

"Honestly, I'm scared. What if it doesn't turn out to be like how I thought it would be?" I asked.

 

"Then you make it better, like how you always do." she answered me smiling. She gets the calling card and scheduled a meeting for me. I rolled my eyes; my mom always had her own way of showing support.

 

That's the reason why we're here in the hotel lobby, all dressed up. Mom insisted that we all needed to look professional since we were talking about a job that would alter the course of my life -probably for good.

 

"Good morning, how are you today?" Mr. Sung greets. I just smile and nod, acknowledging him. I didn't have the guts to speak, I'm too afraid that my voice would crack.

 

"So, Mr. Sung what are the details of your offer?" my mom asks, sipping tea.

 

"Well, like any foreign artist she would be taught the Korean language until she is fluent also the basics of singing and dancing then an elective class of her liking. This would also mean that she would be required to train under several coaches. Since she's foreign we would require her to stay in a dorm but it isn't inclusive of food." he finishes, getting a thick stack of papers and a pen out of his bag- that's most probably a contract.

 

My mom looks at me pointedly then looks back at him.

 

"Please give us a moment to discuss." she tells him, smiling then standing up, dragging me with her. We went to the bathroom and she locked the door.

 

"Mā, you can't do that." I tell her, walking towards the door to unlock it but she grabs my wrist and starts to talk to me in Chinese- both my mom and I have that tendency when we're feeling extreme emotions.

 

"Do you want a shot at it?" she asks.

 

"I don't know mā, it all seems so surreal. Not to mention I'll be separated from you." I frown at the thought. I'd never been separated from my family before and I wouldn't want to start now.

 

"But do you want a chance?" she asks me, lifting my chin up to look at her. I don't answer and she gets out of the bathroom. I follow suit, not lifting my head.

 

By the time I arrived she had already signed on the parent's waiver and they were only waiting for my signature. I look at my mother in disbelief, how could she sign without even telling me but all I see is her eyes urging me to sign and I won't say that I don't have a choice -because I do- it's just that a part of me also wants to know what lies beyond this really big door of opportunity; an opportunity that would ensure the completion of the life I promised I would give my family and so I signed.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Update! :D I'll be trying to update every week (most probably during thursdays) so please tell me your thoughts and enjoy! 

xoxoxo Kyon Seul