1: Swan Lake

Leap of Faith [Complete]

1. Swan Lake 

 

Unlike the others, I was already 17 years old when I started learning ballet. It's a passion of mine since I was a kid but since certain circumstances stopped me from learning my passion I grabbed the opportunity when I had it. Better late than never, that's what they say.

 

I stretch my legs and reach as far as I could. I'm in Korea for a competition, not a big one but a competition nonetheless. It wasn't easy starting at such a 'late' age. I had to put in more effort since my bones were already set - kind of- but it was worth it. I smile at the memory of being scolded every day because I was either too early for class or always went overtime.

 

“Ren?” I swivel my head to the side and stand up. Lao shi -teacher- called me and told me that I was up next. I was on the side entrance, waiting, my hands were starting to sweat and I was nervous. I practiced some steps to distract myself but it didn't work. It wasn't my first time to compete but I'm always like this, I don't really know why.

 

"The next contestant would be Liu Ren from the Philippines."

 

I stood up straight and put a smile on my face when I hear my cue to appear. It's always like this, I would be nervous but when I'm introduced a switch would trigger and suddenly all the nervousness, doubts and fears would be flushed down the drain and my confidence will be boosted up. I position myself on the center stage, close my eyes, breathe, then wait for the music to start.

 

I danced Swan Lake - one of my favorite pieces- and like before when I heard the music everything went on auto drive. I wasn't thinking, I didn't see the hundreds or thousands of people watching -probably judging- me, I forgot about the competition and I just did what I knew how to do. I danced, I poured out my feelings through my movements and by the time the song ended I was sweaty, out of breath, partly disheveled, tears on my eyes and I was ecstatic. I always enjoyed performing; it always felt magical and it made me see the world in a new light. It made me feel like magic really does exist.

 

I bowed and bowed and bowed, a wide smile pasted on my face. I ran to the backstage and hugged my teacher. I owe it to her, I owe her everything. If she hadn't taken me in as her student then I wouldn't be here, I probably wouldn't have a shot at my dream.

 

After all the performances it was time to announce the winners. I was nervous of course but I feel like whatever happens I won because I did my best and that's all really one can do. Teacher squeezed my hand, I turn I look at her and she smiles at me.

 

"Whatever happens, you're a winner." she whispers and I smile.

 

They start announcing the winners, I close my eye and held teacher's arms tightly.

 

"For the bronze, congratulations to Amanda Gomez from Malaysia."

 

I hear the girl beside me gasp, jump, hug the guy with her and saunter to the stage, claiming her bronze medal. I remember her performance, it was a modernized version of the nutcracker and I say modernized because she changed a few steps.

 

"For the silver medal, we have Liu Ren from the Philippines."

 

My eyes grew wide and I couldn't move, my teacher was already jumping and pushing me towards the stage. I felt tears roll down my eyes and minutes later a smile found its way on my face. I jump; bump fisted the air and went to claim my medal.

 

October 16, 2013. I will never forget this day. After the program, we were back stage and my family along with my really close friends brought me flowers, banana milk (my favorite drink) and some other snacks. They kept on congratulating me and taking pictures even though my hair and make-up was already a mess.

 

Rae Jin, one of the coordinators told me someone was looking for me and was waiting near the exit doors; curious as to who it was -since I was in a different country and I didn't know anyone here- I excused myself and went to the stranger. When I arrived he smiled; he had black hair, some wrinkles on his face and I would say he was about in his late twenties or early thirties.

 

"Liu Ren?" he asks. He had a comforting voice, a voice one would easily trust. I nod.

"I'm from YG entertainment and I would like to cast you to be our new face." he told me calmly.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, this is the first chapter. I know it's short and kind of dull but please tell me what you think? >___< subsribers are much appreciated. no hate please! :)))

xoxoxo Kyon Seul