Chapter 9: Date?

Twist of Fate

“That’ll be 5,000 won sir,” Yoona said while cashing in some numbers on the cash register. “Thank you, please come again,” She repeated the lines she said over a hundred times already before tending to the next customer.

“Hello, how may I hel-“ Yoona’s speech was cut short when she felt the words tangle in , her straight-faced expression that she usually gave to customers -since she hated smiling- immediately formed into a scowl when she caught sight of who was in front of her. “What are you doing here?”

“Now, is that how you talk to your customers? My, I should have a little chat with your boss,” the tall baby faced male mocked. Yoona rolled her eyes.

“I’ll have one Americano,” Kyuhyun ordered after browsing through the menu even though he didn’t need to since he basically ordered the same thing at every café, he was practically addicted to that bitter dark brown drink. Yoona could never understand why people liked it, it tasted horrible.

“4,500 won,” She said flatly while raising her palm out.

“You know, it wouldn’t hurt to smile at your customers once in a while, especially if it is such a hot and handsome customer like me,” Kyuhyun suggested and winked at his last sentence while rummaging through the pockets of his black straight legged cotton dress pants.

 

“Hurry up!”

“Get going already!”

“Get out of the line!”

 

Complaints could be heard from the back of the line where Kyuhyun was standing since there was only one line and they were getting impatient at how slow and long Kyuhyun took to order one single cup of coffee. However, their complaints didn’t seem to bother Kyuhyun seeing that it went in one ear and went out in the other. It however bothered Yoona.

“Hurry up!” Yoona repeated what the obese man -wearing a grey captain america t-shirt that seemed a bit too small for him and a pair of dirty sweat pants that reeked from a mile away- standing behind Kyuhyun said earlier, growing anxious and looked back to see if her manager was going to come out any time soon from the noises the customers were making.

“Aha! I found it!”

Yoona grabbed the bills out of Kyuhyun’s hand and quickly gave him back his change before motioning him to get out of the line. Kyuhyun stumbled at the harsh shove and grabbed his brown leather brief case that was stowed beside the cash register before dusting off the imaginary dust on his shoulders and walked to an empty table. He chose an empty table that was situated at the corner of the café, which was very quiet and calm. He left work early to pay a visit to Yoona’s workplace. Kyuhyun reminded himself to talk to her boss since he wanted to take her out today, he had something in store for Yoona. Speaking of Yoona,

“Alright, what are you doing here? How do you know this is where I work? Are you stalking me?” Yoona interrogated while she pulled a chair to sit on and slammed his piping hot cup of readymade coffee. Kyuhyun’s eyes had immediately sparkled as soon as he caught sight of the bitter drink that he had come to love.

“What? No!Kyuhyun denied and uncapped the lid to stir his drink.

“Then how do you know I work here?” Yoona asked, “I never told you where I worked.”

Kyuhyun took a sip and placed his elbows on the circular table with his chin resting on his fist while leaning closer to Yoona at an awfully slow pace, “Because I’m a psychic,” he whispered and leaned back on his chair with a stupid smile on his face. Kyuhyun raised his sleek index fingers up to his lips, making a shh sound –a sign to tell her to keep it a secret.

“More like a psycho,” Yoona deadpanned, “And your breathe stinks.”

 Kyuhyun opened his palm and brought it to his face before letting out a breath and sniffed it, he looked back at Yoona with a questioning gaze. “It smells like coffee.” He said, pointing to the only thing that was sitting on the table, “Just like how the whole café smells.”

Kyuhyun smiled in satisfaction when Yoona looked away, defeated, and leaned back against his chair while crossing his legs and placed his hand on top of one another before place it over his lap. “That reminds me, pack your stuff,” Kyuhyun said nonchalantly, “We’re going out today,” he added when Yoona threw him a questioning glance. Kyuhyun added a fake yawn to the end of his sentence to give off the cool guy aura he had seen way too many times in the movies but was immediately taken aback from Yoona’s reply when it wasn’t anything like the ones he saw.

Yoona didn’t know why he was still surprised; he should have been used to it by now.

“No.”

“What? Why?” Kyuhyun slammed his hand on the table and pushed himself forward on his chair, dropping his cool guy act. “Why won’t you go?”

“I have work.” Yoona spread her hand and gestured to the plethora of people bustling around her.

“Oh, you can take a day off.”

“I can’t.”

“Why?”

“Because I can’t.”

“That’s not a very good answer,” Kyuhyun replied and tilted his head a bit before pouting, “Come on! I had this all planned out, you can’t bail out now. I left work early just to pick you up.” Yoona paid no heed to Kyuhyun childish complaint and stood up to get back to work, her boss was going to go out any minute now and she didn’t want to get caught taking a break when she was not supposed to.

“Hey! I’m talking to you!” Kyuhyun shouted, “We are not yet done with this conversation!”

Twenty pairs of eyes stared at Kyuhyun while they judged him inside their brains, noting him as a weird person. Yoona hadn’t gone far and was still in a near distance to Kyuhyun, which means all the eyes that were looking at Kyuhyun could see that she had recently conversed with him.

“Shut up, you big mouth!”

“I’m not yet done talking to you,” Kyuhyun whispered, as if it would make a difference and avert all the gazes away from them. Yoona felt annoyed that the people were still staring at them as if they were from another planet but kept the insults for another time since this was her workplace. Kyuhyun on the other hand was not so tolerant.

“What? Ever seen a human shout before? Mind your own business. Or are you just staring because of how handsome I am? If that's the case, then you can keep on looking at me.”

The nosy people immediately looked away and resumed back to their business, going back to ordering coffee and talking with their colleagues about meaningless stuff while occasionally glancing back at the weird couple. “Anyway, I have the whole day planned out. I can’t tell you know because it’s a surprise but this is going to be a day you won’t forget so tell your boss that you’re sick and get the day off.”

“No.”

“Please?”

“No. I have work. Now go.” Yoona ended the conversation and shoved him out the door with her monster strength. Words of protests were left unheard as he tried to struggle and break free from the iron grip Yoona had on his not-so-firm biceps. He was sure he was going to sue her if he got a bruise.

“Goodbye, and don’t come back.”

---

Yoona squinted her eyes at the bright ray of sunshine shining directly at her eyes but that was the least of her worries now. Her biggest worry was standing in front of her, smiling brightly at her while happily waving.

“Okay, how’d you do it?” Yoona asked with her hand over her brow, trying to shield her eyes from the bright light while her toe tapped the cemented ground impatiently, she was standing outside her workplace when she was supposed to be inside, working her off for a measly piece of paper that would pay for her living expenses.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“How did you manage to talk my manager into giving me a day off with a smile on such a busy day?”

“It’s a wonder what this world has turned to nowadays.” Kyuhyun grinned, "People believe anything you say. Especially if you say that you are a child of a famous CEO company."

"You seriously watch too much dramas."

“Well, aren’t you going to get in?” He ignored Yoona's comment since he was in a good mood and motioned to his car, urging her to get inside Yoona turned her head and walked away but Kyuhyun was quick enough to run to her before she could disappear from his sight. Kyuhyun lifted her up like a sack of rice and picked up the bag she dropped from shock and headed to his car.

Kyuhyun yelped in pain and immediately pleaded for Yoona to stop kicking and turning. “Yoong!”

“Let.” Yoona growled as she kicked his knee.

“Me." She was now punching his bottom.

“Down.” And now she was onto his hair.

It was a few seconds later when Kyuhyun felt Yoona’s wrath. Kyuhyun accidentally dropped Yoona and doubled over in pain when he felt a sharp and throbbing pain in his nether region.

“Are you okay?” Yoona asked when she realized where her feet kicked. Kyuhyun’s face was fiery red and looked like he was going to pass out soon. Veins were popping at the side of his head as he tried to suppress his whimpers of pain. “It’s… fine,” he managed to choke out.

Yoona did what she could. She sat beside him and smiled sheepishly while patting his back.

---

“Alright, let’s go!” Kyuhyun smiled excitedly while pulling his seatbelt over his chest. He was back to his old self now; the pain filled face he sported earlier was now replaced with a look of an excited little boy who was going on a roadtrip.

“Where are we going?” Yoona asked, now sitting inside his car. She eventually gave up and went along with Kyuhyun’s demand for her to get inside his car because she felt guilty after seeing how painful her kick was –although he sort of deserved it for not listening to her when she asked him to let her go.

 

“We’re going on a date.”