Chapter 11: Out Of His League

Twist of Fate

The upcoming weeks for Yoona were going by smoothly. After their little ‘outing’, she hadn’t seen him since then. And boy, was it a joy for Yoona. Besides the awkward question from her manager who asked if Kyuhyun, the ‘son’ of a so called ‘CEO’, was her boyfriend, everything was great. There weren’t lots of customers since the weekend was over, which meant that Yoona didn’t have much to do at the café. Although she did feel curious on what Kyuhyun was doing. It was unlike him to not pester her or anything, not that she was complaining, she was simply just curious.

Yoona grew attentive when the bell hanging on the door dinged, signifying that someone had come in. “Hello, how may I –oh.” Yoona’s tone turned flat at the person in front of her. “What do you want?”

“Well, hello to you too,” Kyuhyun greeted, acting like he didn’t notice her expression darken once she saw him. “One Americano and one-“ Kyuhyun paused for a while, thinking. “-Yuri ah, what do you want to drink?”

Yoona was shocked to see that Kyuhyun had talked to the girl beside him. She thought Kyuhyun and the girl had just coincidentally stood beside each other or something because there was absolutely no way that Kyuhyun could get a girl like her or even talk to her -at least not this Kyuhyun. This girl had mid length hair that fell beautifully over her shoulders and was wearing a navy blue v-neck shirt with a casual black leather jacket that fit her perfectly. Paired with her jacket were black high waisted jeans and stylish combat boots. Even though she was wearing clothes with such powerful dark colors considering that almost everything she wore was black, she didn’t give off a strong bad girl type of aura. In fact, it was like the total opposite for because she constantly had a bright expression on her face. She had a casual style, and she seemed outgoing. But Yoona didn’t think that Kyuhyun could pick a girl like that up.

Yoona knew saying this was mean but she was way out of his league.

The girl, Yuri, brightly looked at the menu to figure out what she wanted to drink. She pondered for a while before turning to Kyuhyun, “Oppa, I’ll have a caramel macchiato,” She smiled and wrapped her arms around Kyuhyun’s.

Yoona nodded and instructed them to wait at a table after they paid for their orders.

“Thank you!” Yuri cheerfully said to Yoona despite her hostile attitude.

‘Thank you,’ Yoona mimicked the way Yuri had thanked her before proceeding to make their drinks.

 

Yoona let out a deep long sigh when she heard Yuri and Kyuhyun laugh again as they talked about something Yoona could honestly care less about. They’ve been there for three straight hours already. When are they ever going to leave?

“Why the long face, chum?” A voice behind her asked, startling her.

Yoona jumped. “What? Seo, it’s just you. It’s nothing.” Yoona waved her off and nudged her to get back to the work.

She sighed again when another one of their obnoxious laughter filled the air. It was Friday today, meaning that the café would be packed. Customers were already starting to fill in and they were practically running out of tables.

“Guys? I’m sorry to interrupt your discussion but there’s a policy that states that you have to order something after every 2 hours you spend in here,” Yoona approached them and insincerely apologized for disrupting another of their round of laughter.

There was an actual policy like that in the café, but it was removed last month because the manager thought the policy made them seem ‘unfriendly’ or was not helping them increase their sales of some sort. But they didn’t know that the policy was banned and she just wanted them to get out of there.

“Oppa, I’ll go order something,” Yoona heard Yuri say on her way back to the counter.

Great..

“Can I have one more caramel macchiato and a plate of that red velvet cake for Kyuhyun oppa?” Yuri chimed.

Kyuhyun oppa…

Kyuhyun oppa…

Kyuhyun oppa…

Why did she have to call him ‘oppa’ all the time?! It was getting annoying, Yoona thought. She hated girls that used ‘oppa’ all the time. Was that the only word they knew?!

Nevertheless, Yoona covered how annoyed she was by putting on her emotionless mask she always wore. “Sure.”

Yuri patiently waited for her order by waiting at the counter and took it but not before cheerfully thanking Yoona. “You’ve worked hard, thank you!” 

 

Yoona smiled contently when her boss told her that she could get off work early, meaning she would have time to herself at home and that she could get away from Kyuhyun and Yuri. Even though she did get used to their noise, she still found them annoying. It was like Yuri was the girl version of Kyuhyun since they were both so painfully cheerful and happy all the time.

“Oh! Yoong! Are you done working?” Yoona heard Kyuhyun’s unmistakeable voice shout across the café from where he was sitting while she packed her stuff, eager to leave her workplace.

Walk away. Walk away. Pretend you didn’t hear anything. Yoona chanted to herself, determined to ignore him because she was tired after a day’s work.

“Yoong!” He called again, Yoona quickened her pace this time and basically speed walked towards the door.

“Yoong,” Kyuhyun grabbed Yoona’s arm to stop her from leaving, “Are you finished working?”

“Yes,” Yoona removed her arm from Kyuhyun’s grip and fixed the strap of her bag, “Why?”

“We were waiting for you,” He smiled. Yuri was beside him, smiling too but Yoona’s eyes were on her arm that was linked with Kyuhyun’s. “Let’s go!” Kyuhyun brightly shouted and pointed to his car, dragging Yoona along with him.

“Let’s go!” Yuri repeated.

“Oh, it’s fine. It’s not like my opinion on whether I want to go with you matters or not. If you guys say let’s go, let’s go! It’s not like I had plans or anything,” Yoona grumbled to herself, but Kyuhyun heard.

“Do you have plans?” Kyuhyun stopped and looked back; Yoona could see the slight disappointment in his and Yuri’s eyes, although she didn’t know why Yuri was disappointed. So now, she had a couple with eyes that would make you feel sorry if you punched a pillow staring at her. “We waited for you for a while because I thought you didn’t have plans and I wanted to take you out after working all day and I wanted to introduce you to Yuri her but if you have plans then I guess that’s fine.”

Yoona felt guilt rise up inside of her. Looking at their sad faces made her feel like she just murdered a puppy. “No, I don’t have any plans. Let’s go eat,” she sighed.

“Yay! My treat!” Kyuhyun celebrated and raced to the car like the 5 year old kid he was with Yuri beside him, following along.

Yoona stood there with her feet planted on the warm hard ground, flabbergasted at how their personalities switched like lightning. “I was tricked,” she whispered to herself.

“Hurry up, unnie!” Yoona heard Yuri call. Yoona looked up and made her way to his car and slightly frowned when she saw that Yuri called the shotgun seat.

“They make one cunning couple.”

 

Yoona huffed as she chewed the spicy octopus in . Why did they have to order such a spicy dish? She didn’t know it would be this hot. The worst part about eating octopus is that you can’t force yourself to swallow it, you had to constantly chew it otherwise something would happen like it getting stuck on your throat or something.

Yoona fanned her face as she shoved more spoonfuls of rice and finished her sixth glass of ice cold water. Water was the only thing keeping her sane right now. Yoona gulped and closed her eyes shut as she masticated the chewy tentacle. Her cheeks were puffed up like a chipmunk –Kyuhyun noted- while she tried to munch as much rice as she could to not taste the spiciness.

Kyuhyun opened his mouth and exhaled, Yoona could smell the strong scent of the chilli. “Hot! Hot!” Kyuhyun gasped, his collar was loosened and his eyes were twice the size as he fanned his face and fidgeted as Yuri refilled his ninth glass of water. Sweat trickled down his sideburns and sweat stains were visible through his white dress shirt. He took it worse than Yoona.

“I don’t see why this is so spicy for you guys. You’re overreacting,” Yuri remarked and ever so casually plopped the flaming red piece of meat -the main cause of Kyuhyun and Yoona’s misery right now- in . She consumed it like it was nothing, her face showed no sign of spiciness. Kyuhyun leaned closer to Yuri and inspected her face as she chewed after drinking his fill of water when the tangy taste was gone. “Is it really not spicy for you?”  He eyed her, their faces inches away from each other. Yuri smirked and exhaled in front of Kyuhyun’s face. Kyuhyun grimaced and immediately leaped backwards, “Oh! The smell! It stinks! It burns!” He dramatically shouted.

 

Yoona felt a streak of delight wash through her body as she mouthed a spoonful of the shaved ice desert. After their interesting dinner, Kyuhyun thought they needed something cool and refreshing. Although Yuri didn’t really need it since she handled the octopus really well. Still, she had a thing for sweets so it was only natural for Yuri to agree with Kyuhyun. Patbingsu was one of Yoona’s all time favorite desert so she as well couldn’t pass up the opportunity. Also, after all that fanning and sweating, she needed something cold in her system.

Yoona found Yuri fun to be with after spending an acceptable amount of time with her. Yoona thought Yuri would be one of those kinds of girls that would make her head hurt with all the squealing and girlish sounds they make because a majority of the girls she’s seen who call ‘oppa’ all the time are like that but Yuri was actually really nice and playful. Also, she was really pleasant to be with and sometimes bullied Kyuhyun. Yoona liked that Yuri was not afraid to show her real self. Now that she knew more about Yuri, she realized that Yuri was way way out of his league. To show you just how much out of his league she was, here something to do: get a piece of pen and paper. Now draw a straight line. That line represents those who are fit for Kyuhyun. Yuri is so out of his league that you can’t even see her. She’s past the line, through the borders and is over at the other end of the Pacific Ocean, out of your line of vision. That’s how Yoona sees it.

Yuri can get any guy in the world, she’s pretty, smart, outgoing, friendly, kind, and she’s like the dream girl. Even Yoona thinks she’s developing a sort of girl crush on Yuri. Out of all guys, why would she pick Kyuhyun?

Yoona was starting to come to conclusions that Kyuhyun might have drugged her or hypnotized her or something. She could also possibly have a brain tumor.

“I know it’s a little late to ask this, but what’s your full name?” Yoona inquired.

“Kwon Yuri.” Yuri smiled at her, “So how long have you and oppa known each other? I was surprised when he mentioned you because he Never. Stops. Talking!” Yuri laughed.

Yoona was cut off guard, Kyuhyun talks about her? Thinking about it, how long have they know each other? It’s been two months since they’ve met. Time passes by so fast, Yoona noted.

“Around two months?”

It was Yuri’s time to be caught off guard now. “Really?”

Yoona didn’t know what her ‘really’ meant. Just when she was about to ask if it was a good ‘really’ or bad ‘really’ or just a curious ‘really’, Kyuhyun came back from the restroom. “Are you guys ready to go yet? It’s getting late,” Kyuhyun said as he lifted his wrist to check his Rolex. “Yeah,” Yuri agreed. “Let’s go, Yoona.”

“Oh?” Yoona looked up at Yuri and Kyuhyun and then looked at her empty cup of patbingsu. Grabbing her bag, she stood up. “Let’s go.”

 

After Kyuhyun and Yoona said their goodbyes to Yuri, it was Yoona’s turn to be dropped off.  Yoona appreciated that they weren’t being all lovey dovey in front of her to make her feel like a third wheel. Well, they did have their fair share of skinship, but it wasn’t extreme to the point that it would make her feel uncomfortable.

Yoona would try her best to make sure they stayed together for a long time. Although it wasn’t her part to interfere, she couldn’t help it because the ‘Kyuri’ ship, as she would like to call it was already sailing.

“So,” Kyuhyun started with one hand on the steering wheel, “How was Yuri?”

“She’s a great catch,” Yoona commented as her head nodded when they hit a road bump, “I’m surprised you could even find a girl like her.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“I mean,” Yoona continued, “She’s patient, she tells the funniest jokes, and she’s awesome. She’s like the perfect girl that every one dreams of. And dude, she has a smoking body. She is hot. I mean, have you seen her? I still don’t see how you,” Yoona paused and scrutinized Kyuhyun, “can even manage to talk to a girl like her.”

“I’m sorry,” Kyuhyun intercepted, “But I’m confused. Are you the guy or am I the guy in this car because with the way you’re describing Yuri right now makes you sound like one of my lovesick friends at work.”

Yoona rolled her eyes. “I’m telling you, she’s a keeper,” Yoona said before opening the door and leaving. She waved goodbye to Kyuhyun for the sake of formalities before entering her apartment building.

“She’s a keeper?” Kyuhyun mused, “What the heck is that supposed to mean?” He looked at the building and saw that Yoona was inside. He shook his head one last time before driving off, he had to get up early for a busy day tomorrow.

But not before stating, “She’s crazy.”