Chapter 8: Hangover

Twist of Fate

A single ray of yellow sunshine emanated from Yoona’s blinds on a Saturday morning, shining its light on her white duvet that was messily thrown over her sleep caked face, making it a bit hard to breathe for her but nevertheless, Yoona was able to fall asleep. A tiny snore and the sound of birds chirping outside her window was all that could be heard in her room. Yoona’s thick duvet was wrapped around her body like a thick burrito, making Yoona squirm uncomfortably under the heat. Her face was red and was covered with a slight sheen of sweat from the intake of alcohol last night and the blanket that was cocooned around her added to the heat. A groan parted Yoona’s dry and chapped lips before she had enough and summoned her power to kick the covers off with a high kick that took half her energy. She shortly screamed in pain and clutched her head when a sudden pounding hit the side of her head, screaming just made her migraine grow worse. She sluggishly spread her legs and enjoyed the cool breeze tickling her body with her hand still to her head. Moving seemed to make her headache grow even more, so she decided that it was better if she wouldn’t move the whole day, it was better that way –at least her brain wouldn’t get a beating.

However, all those thoughts quickly washed away when her natural instincts kicked in and her stomach started growling, demanding for food that was to be shoved in her flat tummy.

Yoona snatched the pack of frozen sausages sitting in her freezer and internally complained of how bored she was of eating those –it wasn’t like she had a choice, it was on sale and she had to buy it in bulk or she would get nothing- and hatefully tossed it into the sink for it to defrost. Besides, it was the only thing in her fridge. Well, besides the tray of eggs. Her fridge was basically a deserted island with a few coconut trees here and there.

Her movements were lazy and uncoordinated, all Yoona wanted to do was lie down on her couch and sleep while waiting for the sausages to defrost but the moment her hit the unusually lumpy surface, she immediately knew something was wrong, something was different, and she knew what it was. It was the couch.

The distressed female didn’t even bother looking at what she sat on and as quickly as she could without letting her head get pounded to mush by a hammer, walked over to the other end. She frowned again when she didn’t feel the soft bouncy surface of her long-old brown couch, but instead felt different shapes. Her was sensitive and unique this way. Yoona wriggled and clenched and unclenched her , trying to figure out what she was sitting on since looking down would make her head hurt and it was too early in the morning. Yoona bounced up when she heard a groan come from her couch, startling her. The jump was apparently too much for her because the moment she landed, she sat down and clutched her head, it was the first time she was experiencing a headache this bad and all she wanted to do was to just cut one side of her brain off just so that she couldn’t feel anything.

“What was that?” A drowsy voice coming from the couch asked. Yoona widened her eyes at the sleepy male in front of her, “What are you doing here?”

Kyuhyun rubbed both of his eyes with his fisted hands, trying to get himself to wake up. He leisurely stretched his body, his legs surpassing the length of Yoona’s couch. He wriggled his toes and smiled to himself despite the fact that he slept on the couch and was dealing with major back pain, waking up to a beautiful woman, especially if that woman was Yoona was the best thing to open your eyes to in the morning.

 Yoona was annoyed at how he seemed at home and kicked his hip bone with her bare foot. “What are you doing here?” She repeated, enunciating it this time to make sure he understood her. Her headache was momentarily set aside since she had another problem to deal with right now. Oh, how Yoona wished she had the power to set all her headaches aside forever, but Yoona knew she was only able to put it away because another big headache was bugging her right now, pushing the smaller headache out of the way.. Its name was Cho Kyuhyun and was currently sitting on her couch, sitting lesiurely as if this was his very own home.

Kyuhyun rubbed his hip, “It was too late to go home by the time I was sober so I slept here.” Kyuhyun threw his legs over to the side and extended a hand to Yoona -who was currently splayed on the ground- with a light smile, he had bed hair and it was extremely disheveled, making him look extremely hot but being the clueless girl Yoona was, she didn’t even spare him a second glance and just swatted his hand away and stood up on her own. Her hangover was back again.

Kyuhyun -who pretended like nothing happened- stood up and stretched his long limbs once again and bent over to touch his toes, doing his morning exercise routine. “What’s for breakfast?” He shouted out to Yoona who was cooking in the kitchen with his back still hunched.

Yoona hissed at his boisterous voice and didn’t reply. “Yoona?” Kyuhyun was doing side lunges now. Yoona continued ignoring him and spread the cooking oil on the heated pan before placing 3 sausages on the burning skillet. Kyuhyun frowned at her unresponsiveness and strode to the kitchen, “Yoona?” He cautiously asked. “Shut up.” Yoona hissed through her teeth, trying to keep her voice at a minimal volume but unfortunately, Kyuhyun didn’t catch on to what she was saying. He moved closer to Yoona’s place and stood behind her, his tall build shadowed over Yoona’s petite figure. “What did you say?” Kyuhyun loudly said from her back before looking at the frying pan, “Oh! You’re cooking sausages!” Kyuhyun exclaimed and clapped his hands like a little kid. Yoona was startled by his actions and quickly aimed for his foot to stomp at and glared at him, “Stop making so much noise. I have a splitting headache right now and you’re making it worse.”

Kyuhyun silently held his foot and  childishly pouted, “But I wanted sausages.”

“You’ll get some so go over there and sit there like the obedient person you are,” Yoona voiced out calmly, counting from one to ten in her head. Kyuhyun bowed his head and walked over to the brown sofa that was messy due to him sleeping on it, he looked like a child who was scolded by his mother. Yoona turned her attention back to the cooking pan when Kyuhyn flopped down on the couch. Kyuhyun's head would occasionally turn back, just to see if everything was alright. He had to admit she looked quite attractive cooking like that with a hand resting on her hip while the other was manning their breakfast. Deciding that he should stop bothering her, he stood up and made his way to the bathroom to wash up.

“Here.” Kyuhyun passed a glass of water and reached over the table to hold Yoona’s small palm to pass her a tablet of aspirin. “It’ll help with the headache from your hangover,” he smiled. Yoona felt touched by this small action and she couldn’t bring herself to stay mad at him anymore, the flame that blazed inside her dying quickly.

“How’d you know?”

“I was like that when I tried drinking for the first time. Actually, I was even worse,” Kyuhyun chuckled, “But after some time, you get used to it,” he paused before continuing, “After 6 -10 hangovers that is.”

Yoona slipped the pill in and washed it down with a glass of water. “Then why do people drink if their head hurts like this every day? I mean, it's stupid.”

Kyuhyun picked up his fork and stabbed a piece of sausage Yoona fried. His lips curled up into a smile as he fondly stared at his food before devouring it, “Because it numbs us for a while.”

Yoona didn’t know what he meant. Who was us? Was he referring to alcoholics or everyone in the world or was he in some sort of alcohol drinking club? If there actually was such a thing. But judging from the way his smiled changed and the look of knowing on his eyes, she decided not to ask any further and gave in to her stomach’s pleadings for food by taking a bite of her breakfast that she has been having this past week. She cringed at the all-too-familiar taste but forced herself to eat some more, just enough to satisfy her stomach's cravings.

 

“So, what do you want to do today?” Kyuhyun asked, plopping down on the couch after having had his breakfast, but then remembered that Yoona wasn't there with him in the same room and felt stupid for talking to himself. Kyuhyun looked around and made sure no one saw his stupid moment eventhough he knew that were was no one in that apartment other than him and Yoona. He underpinned his way too long limbs by resting them on top of a wooden table and had one hand behind his back while the other was rubbing his stomach.

“Thanks for the food, Yoong!” He called out since Yoona was in the kitchen doing the dishes.

Yoona grumbled with distaste. “Shut up. The aspiring made my head feel better but I still feel like trash. Why don’t you feel this way too?” Yoona absolutely hated it when other people were so upbeat and cheerful. It was just plain annoying because there was nothing to be happy about. Happiness was only temporary, she had learnt it the hard way. Happiness only came for a few days or a few weeks, it never lasted long enough. It would come and just when you thought that nothing was impossible, the world would take happiness away from you and everything important to you would be gone. It would disappear. Happiness was only there to comfort you before sadness would take over you world. It was as if the world was teasing you.

‘Because I kissed you and woke up to your angelic face,’ was what Kyuhyun had wanted to say to Yoona's question but decided against it since it would be too soon to confess and it would freak her out by saying something so random. Besides, she didn’t seem to recall last night’s events so he decided to keep it that way. He was going to take things slow. If he confessed now, knowing Yoona, she would definitely never talk to him again and label him as someone who was crazy since they were not that close. Even though she had categorized him as her friend, Kyuhyun knew that she didn’t fully trust him yet and that he could never replace that Daehyun guy. As far as Kyuhyun knows, Yoona was still saddened from Daehyun’s death, she just did a very good job of hiding it from him. And herself.  Besides, he didn’t even know if he really liked her or not. His feeling weren’t that developed yet, it was just a simple crush. He hadn’t fallen in too deep so was still able to get out. And it wouldn’t be fair for Yoona is he just confessed out of nowhere, she would probably shut him out and he would lose a precious friend.

Instead, he just replied with a simple reply by saying he was used to it. Yoona rolled her eyes and wiped her hands on the powder blue towel to dry her hands. “Feet. Off.” Was the first thing she said when she caught notice of his large feet that was twice the size of her hand lying on top of her table, right in front of the picture frame he had seen the first time he came here. Yoona’s eyes were horrified and glued to the picture frame that was currently being caressed by Kyuhyun’s foot. Kyuhyun however didn’t follow her gaze and quickly retracted his legs, thinking that she was probably one of those neat freaks who were so meticulous about everything. But considering how her living room looked like right now with a couple of  shoes messily kicked near her door and the articles of clothing that were strewn across her floor, he guessed that she may not be one of those people.

 

Yoona was drying her hair with a towel when she walked to her living room and was startled when Kyuhyun was still on her couch, playing a game on his smart phone -that Yoona honestly found fascinating. Kyuhyun let out a regretful shout when his score wasn’t enough to beat his high score that he set himself.

“What are you still doing here?”

Kyuhyun looked up from his game of Mandora and locked gazes with Yoona. “What do you mean?”

“I thought you would have gotten home by now. You know, since you haven’t showered and still are in yesterday’s clothes.”

“Oh, you aren’t getting rid of me that easily,” Kyuhyun chuckled, “I still have a lot of things I want to do with you.”

"What kind of things?" Yoona asked teasingly. 

Kyuhyun grew flustered. "I didn't mean it like that!" He took a deep breathe, “Alright, let me rephrase that. There are still so much activities I want to do with you.” Kyuhyun thought about his sentence over again and groaned, he was a lawyer and yet he couldn’t say that sentence without it having a ual meaning. “You know what I mean!”

Yoona held in the laughter that was reverberating through until she couldn’t control it anymore. She let out a short chuckle. “Don’t laugh at me,” Kyuhyun whined. Kyuhyun soon realized what he said. His eyes widened into the size of two gongs, “You laughed.” He raised a finger and placed his hand over his mouth, gasping and being all dramatic. “You laughed. Im Yoona laughed!” Kyuhyun raised a hand and lightly slapped himself, “Am I dreaming?”

Kyuhyun waited for a second before resuming his antics. "Hallelujah!"

Yoona stood there, not at all amused by his one man show. “Go home, you’re drunk.”

“No, that was yesterday,” Kyuhyun said and gave her a cheesy wink, “And you were drunk too.”

“About that, how exactly did I end up drunk?” Yoona asked while shooting an accusing glare at Kyuhyun while he looked away. “Strangely, I don’t remember anything.”

He scolded himself for letting his tongue slip. He was supposed to keep last night's events to himself, so that she wouldn’t know about the kiss and his feelings for her. He could lie to her, but he would feel guilty about it later.

But that doesn’t mean I have to tell her everything, Kyuhyun grinned evilly.

 “You mistook soju for a glass of water,” Kyuhyun said nonchalantly, casually looking at his fingers as to not make him look suspicious but failed miserably when it made him look dubious. Yoona gave him a skeptical look when she didn’t believe his story, she wasn’t that stupid to do something like that.

She raised a questioning brow, “Really?”

“Yeah.”

Yoona folded her arms against her chest, “I’m not stupid enough to do that!”

Kyuhyun burst out laughing because she actually did do that and she just called herself stupid. “You did! You totally did!” He said trying to convince her, “You ate something spicy and looked for a glass and you quickly took the glass sitting in front of me. I tried to warn you, but you didn’t listen.” Kyuhyun sported a smug expression and held his head up high when Yoona buried her face in her hands and recollected bits and pieces of last night’s events.

“I am so stupid,” Yoona groaned to herself. Kyuhyun patted her back and comforted her with a sly smirk on his face as he recalled what happened last night.

“Get dressed, we’re going out,” He ordered once he snapped out of his trance and retreated his arm from her back. With her face still buried in her hands, she mumbled, “What for?”

“We’re going out,” Kyuhyun repeated, slowly this time, as if it would make a difference. “I know we’re going out but why are we going out?” Yoona snapped, annoyed that he wasn’t getting her point.

“Because I want to.”

Yoona stared at him through her half lidded eyes. She stared at him for the longest time and Kyuhyun looked back at her before turning his head away when Yoona wasn’t backing down. “I have work today, I can’t go out just to tend to your orders so if you’ll excuse me, I need to leave in a few minutes. I would appreciate it if you left,” Yoona said curtly before turning around to get dressed.

“But I don’t have clothes! People will be looking at me!” Kyuhyun hollered from her living room, trying any possible excuses that would convince Yoona to not kick him out.

Yoona opened her bedroom door and peeked her head out to look at Kyuhyun while her body was still inside her room, “It’s not like you’re using a bus, and people aren’t going to stare at you. You have your own car and I doubt that people are going to notice if you’re using yesterday’s clothes. Just stop whining like a baby and get out of my apartment.”

Kyuhyun rubbed the back of his nape, looking guilty. “I sort of forgot my car at the restaurant yesterday.”

Yoona sighed and stepped out of her room and inclined her head to the left which was where her bathroom was located, “Go shower quickly and I’ll leave you a fresh set of clothes. I still have Daehyun’s clothes and I think it will fit you. Hurry up. I need to leave for work.” Kyuhyun grinned and dashed over to Yoona’s room and gave her a big hug before pecking her cheek and going to the bathroom to cleanse himself.

“Be out by ten minutes!” Yoona screamed to him.

“That’s too short!” Kyuhyun complained from Yoona’s bathroom.

“What are you, a woman? Do you need to do anything else in there? Just rub yourself clean and you’re done! Geez, men are such girls these days." Yoona rolled her eyes, "Now, hurry up munchkin!"

 

A/N: HI GUYS! Short chapter, I know. Sorry about that. :/ I just wanted to tell you I decided to extend the story a bit. (thanks to GybzyXiao for telling me to) This was supposed to be 10 chapters so i'm extending it to 15 or maybe 20. So I just wanted to apologize since the story flow is kind of messed up. It's a bit too fast. I'll try slowing it down so i'm just giving you a heads up, the next chapters are just going to contain the interaction between Kyuhyun and Yoona.

Also, I now have 21 susbcribers! Thank you for subscribing to my story! Although it doesn't seem a lot, it's a big number to me since  wasn't really expecting a lot of you so thank you, and don't hesitate to tell me if you have any complaints! 

 

Sorry for boring you with this author note. o.o Anyways, I hope you have a pleasant day! ^^

Here's Kyuhyun for you: