Chapter 2: Officer?

Twist of Fate

Yoona sighed and closed her eyes, trying to calm down.

What am I doing here in the first place, she thought to herself.

Let us rewind back to what happened 8 hours ago:

“Damn it!”

Yoona cursed as she hurriedly left her apartment, her hair wet and disheveled, obviously showing that it wasn’t combed or cared for, but Yoona didn’t seem to mind the fact that her hair was completely messed up. Continuously cursing under breath, she ran towards the café that was still 10 minutes away. Apparently, her alarm clock decided to be generous and give Yoona more sleep since it decided by itself to not ring. After almost tripping over her own feet, Yoona gave her last spurt before harshly pushing the café door open and announcing her arrival to her boss by shouting,

“I’m here!”

Yoona called, indicating that she had finally arrived with a smug expression clearly shown on her face. But that expression quickly faded away when she noticed disapproving looks directed towards her from the customers who were having their first piping hot cup of coffee of the day. Yoona glared at them, her eyes saying what are you looking at?  Sticking her tongue out at the customers that retreated from her glare, she quickly ran towards the back door to get changed into her uniform. Seohyun, the only person she was acquainted with at the cafe, snickered at her friend’s humiliation before resuming her work.

 

After 2 hours of making coffees and working at the cash register, it was finally Yoona and Seohyun’s break time. Yoona sighed in contentment as she settled down on the chair before closing her eyes and smiling. She heard a chair screech beside her, disturbing her moment of peace. Scrunching her nose, she opened her eyes and whipped her head to glare at the culprit, only to find Seohyun holding up a peace sign beside her face, trying to get Yoona to forgive her by using her aegyo.

“Eheh. Sorry?” Seohyun meekly apologized with an apologetic smile on her face. Yoona merely ignored her attempt at being cute and gently rested her head on the table before sighing, tired from the hectic moment she had this morning.

“Aww. Why is my Yoong-yoong sad today?” Seohyun mocked with a baby voice, continuously poking Yoona’s shoulder.

“My stupid alarm decided to be all ‘hey! I’m too lazy to ring my off, so I guess I won’t! Let’s make Yoona late today! Hahahaha!’ “ Yoona grumbled and voiced out in a creepy, falsetto voice that was apparently what her alarm clock sounded like if it could actually talk.

Seohyun burst out laughing at Yoona’s awful imitation of an alarm clock. “Do alarm clocks even sound like that?!” Seohyun guffawed. “No, wait. Let me rephrase that –do alarm clocks even talk?!” Seohyun asked before resuming back to crazily laughing. Yoona let out a ghost of a smile, Seohyun’s laughter was contagious.

“Shut up.” Yoona commanded her mentally insane friend.

“Yes ma’am,” Seohyun suddenly straightened up, biting her lip to contain her laughter. Seohyun didn’t even last 5 seconds, before she let out another burst of laughter, unintentionally letting out a spray of saliva onto Yoona’s face. Frowning at Seohyun, Yoona wiped her face, disgusted at the fact that Seohyun just spit at her. “Disgusting.”

“I’m sorry.” Seohyun giggled, not looking apologetic at all. “Are you finished, now? Who fed you chocolates? Why are you so hyped up?”

“No one fed me chocolates! You should’ve heard yourself talking like an alarm clock! It’s just so weird, especially for a girl like you.”

Yoona rolled her eyes. Seohyun always emphasized on how she didn’t talk enough to other people, and how she wouldn’t show other types of facial expressions and un-perky she was. Seohyun stuck her tongue out at her. Seohyun then proceeded to take her lunch box out and eat the food she packed this morning. Yoona’s eyes were shaped into hearts as soon as she saw the cute rice balls Seohyun had made herself. Her eyes travelled to the triangular-shaped rice ball wrapped with laver that was making its way to Seohyun’s mouth, and will soon end up in her so called friend’s digestive system. Seohyun shoved the whole rice ball in , eating it in one bite. The rice ball occupied her whole mouth that it puffed up both of Seohyun’s cheeks, making her look like a chipmunk. Seohyun turned to Yoona and gave her a smile, her eyes crinkling into tiny cute shaped moon crescents.

Yoona gulped, eyeing the other rice balls that were just sitting there, waiting for her to eat them. Seohyun followed her gaze and realized she was staring at her brown Rilakkuma shaped lunchbox. Smiling, Seohyun offered them to Yoona.

“If you’re hungry, just take them, Yoong. No need to be so shy.” Seohyun chuckled when she heard Yoona’s tummy growl.

Yoona bowed her head down in embarrassment. Seohyun slightly pushed her lunchbox to Yoona, urging her friend to take it. Yoona grabbed a rice ball and took tiny bites, savouring it as she knew she wouldn’t be able to eat later on.

“Seohyun, Yoona! Break time is over.” Their boss informed before turning away to greet a buying customer. Yoona and Seohyun nodded, hurriedly fixing themselves before proceeding to go back to their respective places behind the counter.

Yoona headed to the cash register. Raising her head, she kindly asked the customer to ask for his order, but was met with a poker faced policeman who seemed to be a bit too young to be working in the field.

“Excuse me, does anyone here by the name of, “ The policeman paused, looking at a small piece of paper before continuing, “Im Yoona work here?” He read.

Yoona widened her eyes, thinking that she had gotten caught for pick pocketing from that man yesterday. Trying to divert his attention somewhere else, she offered him a donut. “Sir, I’m sure you must be tired. Would you like a donut?” Yoona painfully smiled, oh how weird it felt for her to grin after such a long time.

“No thanks,” The police officer rejected. “Back to my question, miss. Do you by any chance know a girl named Im Yoona?”

“No, I do-“ Yoona tried to lie her way out, but was unable to because of her idiot of a friend.

“She’s right here, sir! This gorgeous smiling girl right here! Im Yoona, that’s her! Since you didn’t want a donut, would you like her number?” Seohyun winked at the man while not-so-subtly nudging Yoona’s side.  Yoona shoved her arm away after the constant nudging that were starting to make her sides hurt. “I got this.” Seohyun whispered to Yoona.

Yoona’s jaw dropped. What the hell are you doing?! 

Yoona wanted to shout at her, but only happened to manage a little squeak when she noticed the policeman’s accusing gaze.“Miss, you’re going to have to come with me.” That was all the policeman had said before curtly turning around and heading to a table. Yoona sheepishly smiled at him, before muttering a low, “I’ll be there in a sec, officer.” Yoona then turned around to glare at her idiotic friend.

“What the hell are you doing right now?!” Yoona exclaimed. “What? He seemed cute! I’ve never seen you smile that wide before! This is all I’ve seen you do” Seohyun said before pursing her lips into a straight line. “So I decided to help you out! You have no idea how much I have been wanting to see you with a guy! I thought you were a prude at first! But now, I guess you’re not one after all. Plus, officer sounds great!”

“Yoona, come here baby.” Seohyun voiced out in a deep, gravelly voice, which Yoona thinks is supposed to sound like the police officer.

“Yes, officer,” Seohyun spoke in a girlish voice while batting her eyelashes. Yoona faced her, unamused.

“Okay, first of all, I am not a prude. Second of all, I do not sound like that.” Seohyun rolled her eyes. “Lastly, I do not like him! If you think he’s cute, you go ask for his number! Go date him for all I care! And that smile, was a fake one! I may or may have not gotten caught for something yesterday and now you just got me in trouble! Do you know what you have done?!” Yoona scolded Seohyun, her heartbeat racing in panic.

“But I wanted your number too! You wouldn’t give me yours, so I thought I would be able to save your number when you give it to him.” Seohyun pouted. “and what is it did you do that made the police come here?”

“Tha-“ Yoona was about to tell Seohyun that she didn’t want to explain but she didn’t have the chance to when their boss interrupted their conversation, informing Yoona that she was allowed to get off work for a while to talk to the police officer while asking Seohyun to take over the cash register while Yoona’s gone.

“Yes, sir!” Seohyun saluted. “Bye, Yoona! Have fun with Mr. Cutie Officer!” She winked before giving her a slight wave.

Yoona headed to where the police officer was standing. She was standing there with her head down, looking like a kid who was getting scolded.

“Miss?” The police officer called.

Yoona looked up at the sound of her name being called. She straightened her position, hoping for the policeman to let her go. Yoona didn’t usually act like this, all fidgety and nervous, but she really didn’t want to go to jail.

“You’re going to have to come with me to the police station in order for us to ask you further questions.”

And that was when all of Yoona’s hopes of being let go went crashing down.

 

Present time

Yoona sighed and closed her eyes, trying to calm down.

What am I doing here in the first place, she thought to herself.

Yoona was waiting for the police officer to come back from wherever he was. She was irritated yet relieved that he wasn’t here. Irritated because he was taking too long, Yoona was never really good with waiting. She had a short fuse for patience. Yoona was also relieved because she hoped she wouldn’t go to jail for getting caught for robbery a second time.

Yoon opened her eyes when heard the door shut with a click. She rubbed her eyes and straightened up and quickly thanked the officer for bringing her a cup of coffee. The police officer pulled his chair and took a seat in front of Yoona and proceeded to clear his throat before speaking,

“Hello. My name is Oh Sehun. It’s nice to meet you. I have a few questions I would like to ask you.”

Yoona gulped and nodded. She drank the hot powdery brown liquid and immediately regretted it when she burned her tongue.

Mr. Kim pulled out what seemed to be a photograph. The authoritative figure sitting in front of Yoona slid two pictures across the table before asking,

“Miss, do you know this person?”

Yoona was surprised at his question because she thought she would be questioned for petty theft but nonetheless, she squinted her eyes at the first picture and looked closely. Yoona gasped, it was a grayscale photograph of a man, specifically her ex boyfriend, Daehyun. In the second picture, she didn’t know who the person was. It was a picture of a man, lying on the cold hard ground. Judging by the police tape and blood around it, it seemed like he was found dead somewhere.

“Yes, I know the man in the first picture. He’s my ex-boyfriend. As for the second one,” Yoona looked more closely this time, trying to figure out who he was, but to no avail.  “I don’t really know who he is. I’ve never seen him before. May I know why you’re showing me this?” Yoona questioned, still not understanding the situation.

“Miss, the men in these two photographs is the same people. Your ex boyfriend’s body was founded months ago but we weren’t able to analyze the reason of death. We have started working on this case again because someone filed a report.”

Yoona nodded, trying to grasp the situation she was facing right now. It was only a couple of minutes later when she let the information sink in.

“What?!” Yoona gasped, her eyes wide. “You mean Daehyun is…… dead? What happened to him?! Where did you find him?! Are you joking with me right now?!” So many questions were running through Yoona’s mind. So many questions that she wanted to ask, so many questions unanswered.

“Miss, this is not a joke. We are in the police department, and we take the law very seriously. Your ex boyfriend’s body,  was found in his apartment about 4 months ago. We were not able to realize the reason of his death befo-“

“Was it because of suicide?” Yoona interrupted him. If it was suicide, she would never forgive herself.

Sehun, the officer,  closed his eyes and took a deep breath, “Miss, please do not interrupt me.” Yoona bowed her head down in shame. “As I have said, we have not yet found the reason of his death. However, a few days ago, someone filed a report case for murder-“

Murder?!?! Yoona was close to shouting the word out, but remembered the policeman’s warning earlier.

"-and we have started looking into the case once again.” He finished.

“Murder?! Who would murder him?!” Yoona asked, almost onto the verge of tears. Daehyun was someone very important to her. Sure, they dated and sure it was Yoona who broke off their relationship but their friendship was something Yoona had always treasured and cherished. He was someone she could never forget. He was always there for her when she needed help, he was always there when she needed a shoulder to cry on, he was always there to be her pillow to hit, he was always there. But now, he’s gone.

Yoona had tried calling him countless of times with the cell phone he had gotten her before, trying to talk to him once again.  Yoona remembered when he first bought her that phone, it was during one of their dates, and when he told her to pick one, Yoona had immediately asked for the cheapest one, not wanting to burden him.

Yoona had guessed that he didn’t want to talk to her when she wouldn’t pick up, maybe he needed time. So Yoona stopped pestering him. But it usually wouldn’t take that long for him to talk to her once again. The longest time they hadn’t talked to each other was one week or two week tops. Yoona had once again guessed that maybe he needed more time, so she left him alone. Now she knew the reason why. Why he didn’t answer her calls, why he didn’t even bother calling her after their break up.

“Miss?” Officer Oh called, snapping his fingers at Yoona, trying to snap her out of her daydream.

“O-oh?” Yoona blinked her eyes, startled. “Sorry, I kind of zoned out there.” She bowed as an apology, to which the policeman nodded to, signaling her that it was fine. Yoona then asked, “Who was the file reported against?”

The policeman cleared his throat. “You.