Chapter 3: Gone

Twist of Fate

“Who was the file reported against?”

The policeman cleared his throat. “You.

---

“Me?” Yoona pointed at herself and looked to the police officer,  “What about me?”

“The file was reported against you, ma’am.”

Yoona retreated from the table, slightly pushing her chair back, making a slight screeching sound resonate through the plain white wall. Yoona’s white flawless face clearly showed that she was shocked by the man’s statement.

“I’m sorry, can you repeat that again?”

She either cuts me off or makes me repeat my sentences all over again. How troublesome. The police officer, Sehun grumbled to himself.

Sighing, he repeats his sentence once more. “The file case regarding the murder of Mr. Daehyun was reported against you, ma’am.”

Yoona eyes widened in shock. “Me? That’s ridiculous! Why would I even murder him?! He’s my best friend! Unbelievable!” Feeling exasperated, Yoona huffed and looked up, her gaze fixated on the white ceiling. Hoping it would crash down on her and wake her up from this absurd dream. She looked around, expecting a man to be jumping out of nowhere, shouting the phrase ‘you’re on candid camera!’ or ‘you got punked!’, but was met with plain silence.

After a few minutes of thinking, Yoona asked the officer the one question that’s been bugging her the whole time. “Who reported the file?”

The officer separated his hand that were folded and quickly checked the pile of paper sitting at the table. Muttering a quick hold on, his eyes hurriedly scanned the papers in order to tend to Yoona’s curiosity.

“It says here the person’s name is…. Henry Lau?” Sehun, the police officer looked up with a hint of curiousity in his eyes, “Do you know him? It states here that he was a close friend of your ex boyfriend, Daehyun.”

Yoona was bewildered. Of course she knew him; he was Daehyun’s best friend. Yoona was deep in thought, trying to figure out why Henry would file a case against her. Yoona and Henry had been close acquaintances, or friends you might say. But she never did anything that would make him hate her. She never mistreated him or anything; they talked, but not often. Yoona had always diverted her attention to Daehyun because she didn’t need anyone else in her life, just him. Since Henry didn’t really seem to mind it, Yoona thought he was okay with that.

Henry was the one who was usually there for Yoona when she and Daehyun would get into fight. He was the one who would comfort her when Daehyun wasn’t there. So Yoona had thought that they were on good terms. They got along quite well, and he knew how Yoona was like. He knew her personality, she would never murder Daehyun or intentionally hurt him, and he knew that. So why would he file a case against her?

Baffled, Yoona could only manage to give out a slight nod with a blank expression on her face. This was all just too much for her. She figured that today would be another hectic yet ordinary day, but look at what has happened. First, Yoona found out her best friend was murdered months ago. Second, someone reported a file saying that it was Yoona that had murdered him, which was completely ridiculous. And third, the person who reported the file was Henry, Daehyun’s bestfriend, the last person she would think of.

“I can see that this is a lot to take in right now. So you can leave now, but let me just give you a heads up.” Yoona looked up. “I don’t know if you’re innocent or not, but I do know that this will have to be taken to court. You will have to find a lawyer to help you. Judging from your background, you are currently working multiple part time jobs. Are you able to afford a lawyer?”

Yoona shook her head, signaling a no.

Sehun nodded, like he knew that was coming. “I know someone who can help you. He’s a friend of mine. He offers free legal aid. Here’s his card,” The officer slips a business card onto Yoona’s small palm. “He’s perfectly good in handling legal cases so you’ll be in good hands. Contact him if you need help in court.” The police officer then dismissed himself and left the room, giving Yoona some time to think.

Yoona sighed and looked at the card in her hands. Twirling the card around her fingers, she read the contents printed on the card. Not wanting to be hasty with her decisions, Yoona slipped the card in her already worn out brown shoulder bag and carelessly flung it over her shoulder. Pushing her chair in, she headed towards the door, ready to leave to her next workplace.

 

After a long day at work and the police station, Yoona felt relieved to be in her small yet cozy home.  But she was not happy, no. She was far from that.

After all, Yoona still felt confused with the situation, trying to process the new information in her head. Yoona sat on the space beside her bed, still in the middle of accepting Daehyun’s death. After reflecting on the situation, she finally realized what had happened.

Daehyun wasn’t here anymore. He isn’t breathing the same air as me, he isn’t living in this messed up planet called Earth. I won’t be able to see him again. Ever.

The feelings were starting to get to her. The feelings you cognize when you lose someone important to you. The feelings were a concoction of sadnesss, pain, sorrow, regret and most of all, grief.

Yoona let the tears freely fall down her face and screamed. She screamed until her face turned red and her veins showed. She screamed until her lungs could not intake any oxygen because of her screaming. She screamed until she could scream no more, because she wanted to scream out every little bit of her frustrations.

She knew throwing a tantrum was useless. It wouldn’t bring Daehyun back. No, it wouldn’t.

But she just wanted to try and let people know how inequitable this planet was for taking away an innocent man from this world. She had screamed because she hated how everything in her life went downhill ever since her parents died when she was young.

She screamed because she knew no matter how loud she screamed, she knew no one would come and save her from this empty feeling called loneliness.

She just wanted to see if it was true because the only person who had ever saved Yoona from herself has already left and has a 0% chance of coming back. Yoona kicked, punched, thrashed around, she did everything she could to let herself feel pain to distract herself from the emotions overwhelming her. She shouted and wailed when it wasn’t working.

Nothing was.

Feeling exhausted, Yoona broke down. Sobbing, she roughly pulled her hair and kept knocking at her head while muttering the words stupid, hopeless, useless, worthless, good for nothing human being that was all directed towards herself. She didn't bother wiping her tears away and continued hitting herself, wiping her tears wouldn't make them stop. It was useless trying to wipe them away when there would be more tears coming.

She wanted to feel pain; she wanted to punish herself because she wasn’t there for him when he needed her. She wanted to kill herself just so that she can go up there and apologize to Daehyun for being so ignorant. But she knew she couldn’t do that. Because even if she tried, Yoona was sure they wouldn’t be able to meet because she would end up in hell while Daehyun would be in heaven. Sometimes Yoona wondered why she hadn’t killed herself years ago, so that she could escape from all the suffering. But then she remembered that Daehyun had always kept her strong and convinced her that she was there for him and she was there to keep him together.

But Daehyun’s not here anymore.

Yoona scrambled for a cutter but thought about it and shook her head. No, he wouldn’t want her to kill herself. He would want her to live, because that was how much of a good man he was, that was how pure his heart was. She wouldn’t let his efforts go in vain. Placing the cutter back in its rightful place, Yoona shakily stood up and closed the curtains, successfully shutting out the moonlight that was slightly seeping through. She didn’t want to see any light if Daehyun wasn’t in this world. It would be unfair.

Yoona walked to corner and slid down the wall. She punched the wall, imagining that it was the person who had taken Daehyun away. There was now a hole etched in the corner of the wall, but Yoona could care less about that. Her head was aching. Anger was coursing through her veins. She wanted to know who did this. Yoona was determined to get through the bottom of this. Dragging her body over to the chair that was currently hanging her bag, she grabbed her bag and pulled the zipper of her bag. She wasn't in the mood to carefully look through every inch of her bag so Yoona flipped her bag upside down, causing the contents to spill out. She rummaged through her belongings, desperately trying to find what she was looking for. She slightly smiled when she had found it.

A card.

Yoona pulled the phone that Daehyun had gotten her out of her bag and squinted when the bright light from the device was shining in her face. Nevertheless, she dialed the number that was written in the card.

The person wasn’t answering, so Yoona tried again. After a few rings, the person had finally picked up. Yoona cleared , trying to not give away the fact that she was crying.

“Hello?” A hoarse voice answered, sounding like the person just woke up.

“Hi. Is this Mr. Cho, the lawyer?” Yoona bit her lip, not knowing what to say.

There was some shuffling in the background. The person cleared his throat, “Yes. That’s me. I-I mean this is Mr. Cho. How may I help you?”

“I apologize for calling you this late at night, you must have been sleeping.“

“No, no! It’s absolutely fine! I wasn’t sleeping yet, I was just-" he paused. "-going through some paperwork.” Judging from the tone and the way he spoke, he seemed to be pretty young. He was maybe around his late 20’s or early 30’s. Yoona didn’t know if he would actually help her, but this lawyer was her only chance in getting her out of the punishment for the crime that she didn’t do. Also, if they did win the case, he would help her find out who the killer was.

“Oh.” Yoona replied. “Earlier, a police officer at the police station gave me your card and said you were a friend. He stated that you were a lawyer and said that if I ever needed help in court, I could call you. He said that I would be in great hands so I was wondering if, “ Yoona waited a bit before asking, “you could help me?”

“Friend?” The person on the other line asked.

“Yeah. He said his name was Officer Senuh? Sehu? Suhun?” Yoona scratched her head, trying to remember the officer’s name.

The man chuckled. “Sehun?”

The name clicked and Yoona mumbled out a “Yeah.”

“I see.” The man hummed. “Well, I’m not working on any particular case right now, so I can say that I’m pretty much free. I’d love to help you. I’ll just ask officer Sehun to send me the case file and I’ll see what I can do for you. Does that sound okay?”

Yoona agreed.

“Great, I’ll inform you if I have any questions to ask.” The man said with a cheerful tone.

“Thank you.” Yoona thanked him.

“No problem!” The man then bid his goodbye and hung up.

Yoona sighed and laid on her bed.

At least one thing is working in my life.

The waterworks stopped by now. The sadness and loneliness she was feeling earlier was now replaced with determination and fortitude. She was certain that she would get to the bottom of this and find out who the killer was. Also, she was curious about what had gotten her in this mess in the first place.

Henry.

She wondered what made him file the case against her, but she buried the question deep down. For now, she would focus on finding out who the killer was. She just wished that the officer was telling the truth about that man being a good lawyer because if he wasn't, she would be in trouble.

 

A/N: I don't really know how things go in the court so I apologize if the following chapters won't make any sense. .__. Also, I've removed the layout since a few of you might experience some difficulty in reading. That's all, have a good day! ^^