Chapter 12: Mall Time

Twist of Fate

Yoona laughed as she and Yuri played a game. They were at the café –it was Yoona’s break time- pointing out any person who passed by them and made up a back story for them. So far, they had one businessman who had this obsession with sniffing and wearing women’s underwear, a lady with a pillow stuffed up the back of her skirt to give her that she always wanted but never got, and a hobo who finds peace with rainbow colored furbies.

Seohyun and her coworkers stared wide eyed at Yoona through the counter, their mouths agape.

“I can’t believe it! My baby is growing up! Yoong is finally getting along with other people! And she’s smiling! Can you believe it? Because I can’t!” Seohyun cried from the back counter –out of earshot from Yoona- and grabbed the person next to her. It was their manager. Seohyun was too excited that she took off his hat and kissed his head –coincidentally, her manager didn’t have any hair so Seohyun basically kissed his white, shiny scalp- that often reminded her of a bright shining sun that always glimmered. A loud and clear smooching sound echoed in everybody’s ears.

Realizing what she had done, Seohyun felt the horror creep up her face when she met her manager’s angry glare. Slowly stepping back with a guilty smile on her face, she disappeared through the back door.

Yoona finally calmed down when Yuri had to excuse herself to take a phone call. She hasn’t felt like this in a while, although her personality was cold, it wasn’t her fault because she found it hard to express herself, and she always tried avoiding getting too close with other people but when she was around Yuri it was like all the barriers she spent so hard to build went crashing down because after what seemed like forever, she was able to act like herself. She didn’t feel the need to be guarded around Yuri. Although she had Kyuhyun and Seohyun in her life, it felt like Yuri was someone she could rely on. She was like this big sister Yoona never got to have.

“Oh! That’s right!” Yuri’s enthusiastic voice popped Yoona out of her bubble of thoughts, “Do you want to go to the mall with me later?”

“The mall?” Yoona asked, the word felt foreign to her lips.

Yuri vigorously shook her head and looked at Yoona with her hands clasped together and her eyes waiting in anticipation. At the moment, she looked like a puppy to Yoona and it was hard to resist. On the other hand, Yoona hated going to malls. She vowed herself to never be one of those girls that spend their whole day walking around the mall with bags on their arms, Yoona preferred doing something productive like working.

But she’s been doing something productive her whole life.

For a good reason, another voice of hers inquired in her head, which Yoona chose to ignore.

She could afford one day of rest, she decided.

“Sure.” Yoona gave her a tight smile, “I’ll go with you.”

 

“Do you think this would suit you? or this?” Yuri inclined her head a bit to the right while she surveyed the two dresses in her hand, trying to see what dress Yoona would look good in. “Oppa! For the last time, put that stinking suit down. It’s a clown suit for God’s sakes! Get over it!”

“But it looks good on me!” Kyuhyun whined.

Yuri  angrily placed the outfits on the rack before marching over to Kyuhyun and attempted to pull his hair but it seemed like Kyuhyun was used to this because upon seeing Yuri, he ran away –which was a pretty good idea. “I swear you could be so childish sometimes!” Yuri growled as she tried to catch him.

The rest of Yuri’s rambling went out in one ear and another as Yoona faced the white ceiling of the sixteenth shop they’ve been in. She didn’t know why she agreed to this in the first place. She thought it was harmless. She didn’t know going to the mall would tire her so much. Yoona soon realized that she made a rash decision.

Also, she didn’t know Kyuhun was coming along. Being with those two on a mall tour was like going into a candy store with two hyperactive kids.

They just never shut up.

They get distracted by things and run around, constantly picking up stuff while Yoona has to follow after them. It’s like they have four feet, Yoona swears.

“Ow! Ouch, alright! Alright!” Kyuhyun yelps with his upper body bent into a ninety degree stance and stumbles as he tries to walk after Yuri. It’s not like he has a choice, he’s basically being dragged by her. “I get it! I’m not buying the suit!”

Yoona laughs at the glorious sight of the Almighty Kyuhyun being repressed under Yuri’s hold.

“Promise?” Yuri asks with a tight hold on Kyuhyun’s right earlobe. His ear was already white due to the immense pressure she had on it.

“Promise!”

“Now, let’s go find Yoona some clothes!”

 

“So, how long have you and unnie known each other?” Yoona asked while Yuri was off to get their food orders. After 143058942 hours, Kyuhyun and Yuri finally spared her some slack and headed to the food court.

“Since we were kids, I guess?” Kyuhyun answered thoughtfully after some time. “I don’t exactly remember how long because we met a long time ago.”

Yoona’s mouth formed into an ‘o’.

“When did you decide to ask her out then?” Yoona enquired as she pressed her back to the cold silver metal of the chair, trying to get comfortable although it seemed impossible seeing how stiff the chair was.

“What?” Kyuhyun choked out, beating his chest to restore it back to its normal state after choking on his saliva.

“I mean, since you’ve known each other since you were young, you probably had a hard time asking her out and all,” Yoona answered thoughtfully with her chin resting on her fisted hand. “So, tell me. How did you do it?”

She thinks we’re going out? But that’s sick!  Kyuhyun shouted in his head.

“Come on!” Yoona pouted, “Tell me!”

Kyuhyun raised his eyebrows. Did she just pout?

“Tell me,” Yoona drawled.

Kyuhyun smirked when a plan formulated in his head. “No.”

“Why?”

“Because.”

“Because what?” Yoona asked, frustrated. She felt like she was a child asking her parents how their love story went except for the fact that the kids’ parent wasn’t an egocentric jerk. “Why won’t you just tell me?”

Because it’s fun seeing this side of you. “Because I don’t want to.”

“Hey guys!” Yuri called with an armful of trays filled with piping hot food. “Mind giving me a bit of help?”

Yoona stood up to help Yoona while Kyuhyun just sat there and waited for the food to come to him.

“So, what’d I miss?”

“This guy,” Yoona pointed at Kyuhyun with a French fry, “Won’t tell me how you two got together.”

“What do you mean?” Yuri asked as she continued to stuff herself with the yummy goodness of fast food.

Kyuhyun felt beads of sweat form at the side of his face. “Is it me or is it getting hot in here?”

“What does she mean, oppa?”

“No-nothing, Yul.”

“Come on, Unnie! You’d tell me, right?” Yoona shook Yuri’s arm. “Tell me how unnie and Kyuhyun got together.”

“We’re not together.”

“You’re not?”

“No,” Yuri drawled out. “We’re cousins.”

“What?” Yoona asked, shocked. She looked at Kyuhyun for confirmation to see if it was a joke.”What?”

“What do you mean what?” Yuri said, unaware of Yoona’s expression since her gaze was solely focused on the food.

“Why?”

“Because it’s weird. Why would cousins date?” Yuri answered, finally looking up. “Hey, why are you so shocked?”

“It’s just that,” Yoona trailed off, “I like you two together! You were like my only favorite couple!” Yoona suddenly felt stupid after saying that. She sounded like a five year old crying over her dolls. This was irrelevant. Why did she care so much? “And, I didn’t know you were cousins,” She added.

“You didn’t tell her we were cousins?”

Kyuhyun scratched the back off his head with a guilty expression, “It slipped my mind?”

“Idiot.” Yuri slapped the back of his head. “And Yoong, don’t worry. This guy is disgusting. I would never date him. I have higher standards than that.”

“Hey!”

“Why didn’t you tell me that you guys weren’t going out?” Yoona asked Kyuhyun.

“I didn’t know you thought we were!” Kyuhyun shrugged his hands in an innocent manner. “I thought you perceived us as friends!”

“But,” Yoona paused, “Earlier.”

“Oh. I was teasing you,” Kyuhyun chuckled. “It all makes sense now. Why you always told me she was a great catch and all.”

“That’s not nice. You shouldn’t like that,” Yuri chimed and hit the back of Kyuhyun’s head again. “Anyway, everything has been settled now. Eat up, Yoong.”

“O-oh. I will.”

“And don’t forget to wear the clothes we bought you!”

“Yeah,” Kyuhyun butted in. “We spent time and money for that, missy. You better wear them.”

“I will,” Yoona rolled her eyes. “And thanks for the clothes, unnie.”

“What about me? I helped!”

Yoona dismissed him with a flick of her wrist.

 

“Guys, I’m sorry but I have to go now.” Yuri pouted, “I’ll see you next time, Yoong!”

“We’ll come with you.” Yoona offered and was about to walk with Yuri until Yuri reassured her that it was fine.

“Bye oppa, bye Yoong!”

Kyuhyun simply waved at Yuri until she turned her back and left, her hair swishing back and forth as she walked.

“So,” Kyuhyun started as they strolled through the mall with his hands buried in his pockets. “How was today?”

“It was fun,” Yoona hummed, distracted by the bright decorations the shop beside her had. “Extremely tiring, but fun nonetheless.”

“I’m glad it was,” Kyuhyun chuckled then stopped in his tracks when he saw an intriguing shop. “Hey, let’s go there.”

“You don’t have to drag me there!” Yoona complained as she trailed behind him, “You’re gripping my wrist too tight. Hey, it’s hurts!”

 

Turns out it was a store that sold all handmade crafts. Everything was so fascinating. They sold stuff ranging from ceramics such as pots and plates to clothing or even scarves.

“Yoong!” Kyuhyun excitedly shouted at the corner of the shop, “Look at this!”

“What’s that?” Yoona asked disinterestedly.

“Wish bracelets!” Kyuhyun smiled, “Let’s get one.”

“Are you serious?”

“Yes.” Kyuhyun excitedly pointed at the package, “Look. It says that if the bracelet falls off the wearer’s wrist, that means the wish comes true.”

“Isn’t that a waste, then?” Yoona asked, “I mean, you’re buying it just to lose it.”

“Wow, you’re just a ball full of optimism aren’t you?” Kyuhyun’s words were laced with sarcasm, “The next thing you’ll be telling me is that Santa Clause isn’t real.”

“He isn’t.”

“Hush, he is.” Kyuhyun ordered. “Now pick one.”

Yoona was about to come up with another snappy reply but Kyuhyun looked so happy that she almost felt remorse for the guy. Almost.

Yoona perused the rack that held hundreds of handmade bracelets before settling on a beaded blue bracelet.

“Blue?” Kyuhyun asked, “I pick pink then.”

“Are you serious?”

“Don’t question me,” Kyuhyun said, “Do you want anything else? I’m going to go pay for these now.”

“Wait.”

“What? Do you want something?”

“I’ll pay for these.” Yoona carefully took the bracelets from Kyuhyun and headed over to the counter. “You and unnie have done so much for me already. I should at least pay you back.”

Kyuhyun stood there, flabbergasted at her kind gesture. “Thanks, Yoong.” I’ll treasure it forever.

“Don’t mention it,” Yoona shrugged. “Does unnie like these kind of things? Maybe we should get one for her too.”

“Yul?” Kyuhyun questioned, “No, she hates these stuff.”

Yoona silently nodded. “Since you’re paying for those,” Kyuhyun started, “It would only be fair if I got you something too, right?”

“Huh?”

“Stay there, don’t go anywhere,” Kyuhyun demanded before rushing to the back of the store.

 

“I told you not to go anywhere!” Kyuhyun shouted as soon as he spotted Yoona’s silhouette.

“I just went outside the shop!”

“That’s still going somewhere.”

“Yeah, well. You took too long.” Yoona informed. “What took you so long?”

Kyuhyun held up a small plastic bag. “Since you oh so nicely got me bracelet, I got you one too.” He replied while searching through the bag. “Hold out your wrist.”

“Why?”

“To see if it suits you!” Kyuhyun answered. “You act as if I’m going to cut your wrist off or something.”

Hesitantly, Yoona held out her wrist.

“You need to eat more,” Kyuhyun thought out loud after seeing how thin her arm was. “How is it? Do you like it?” He asked after he clasped the bracelet around her frail and delicate wrist. It was an intricately woven brown leather bracelet with a metal clasp.

“I like it.” The ghost of a smile that appeared in Yoona’s face did not go unnoticed by Kyuhyun. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Kyuhyun grinned, showing his pearly whites. “Now put mine on me.”

“What?”

“You heard me.” Kyuhyun shoved his pale wrist to Yoona, “Put it on me.”

“You’re such a baby,” Yoona said, “And I still can’t believe you chose pink.”

“Pink is manly.”

“Says who?”

“Says my mother.”

Yoona didn’t have anything to say back so she just kept quiet.

“Ha, can’t reply now, can you- aah!” Kyuhyun cried out in pain. “You’re tying it too tight!”

“Am I?” Yoona innocently batted her eyelashes and not so sincerely apologized, “Oops, sorry.”

“Thanks, Yoong.” Kyuhyun smiled and reached over to ruffle Yoona’s hair after she finished tying the bracelet on his wrist, “I appreciate it.”

“Did you wish for something?” Yoona asked.

“Oh, right! Hold on.” Kyuhyun paused in his steps and closed his eyes while holding onto the bracelet.

Yoona stood there and waited for him, feeling embarrassed at how all the passerby gave Kyuhyun disapproving looks. Yoona bowed her head to them, apologizing.

“Okay,” Kyuhyun shouted, “I’m done!”

“You’re embarrassing.”

“What did I do?”

“Nevermind. What’d you wish for?”

“I’m not telling you."

“Why not?”

 

“Because if I told you, my wish wouldn’t come true.” 

 


A/N: 30 subscibers, thank you! Honestly, I didn't know I would get this much. Also, sorry for the boring updates lately. ><

Once again, thank you!