Chapter 4: Lunch

Twist of Fate

The following days flew by quickly. It was now Wednesday and Yoona was at her part time job at a music shop, until she got a call. Yoona was tending a customer until her phone vibrated. She ignored the ticklish feeling of the phone vibrating her leg and attempted to resume back to what she was saying. All the way throughout her speech, Yoona kept stuttering. The customer started feeling annoyed and Yoona noticed it. Apologizing, she excused herself. Feeling agitated, she harshly pushed the tiny green button, taking her anger out on it.

“Hello?!”

“Hello?” a voice replied timidly.

Yoona cleared , “May I know who this is?” she asked in a nicer tone. No one ever called her since she didn’t give her number to anyone, just Daehyun. And since Daehyun was not he- The point was, Yoona didn’t have to check her mobile screen for a familiar number since no one ever called her.

“Ms. Im?”

Yoona’s ears perked up. She answered, “Yes?”

“This is Cho Kyuhyun. The lawyer you spoke to?” He asked, confirming that he wasn’t a stranger – well, not exactly a stranger. They’ve talked before, Kyuhyun reassured himself.

“Ah, yes!” she recalled.

“Yes. I’ve looked into your case file and I’ve decided to help you out,” Yoona bit her lip and cheered, mentally doing a victory dance in her head. “Is it fine if we meet up at some place to discuss the case? I have a few questions I would like to ask.”

“Sure. Can we meet up later during noon? That’s the only time I’m free today.” Yoona chewed on her lip, hoping he would comply with her request.

“That’d be great! It’s my break so I can come over. I’ll text you the address!” Kyuhyun cheerfully answered.

“Thank you, Mr. Cho.”

“It’s no problem. Bye!” Then the line was cut.

Yoona safely tucked her phone in her trousers’ pocket and headed back to resume back to talking to the customer, and thankfully smiled when she saw that her co worker had taken charge.

 

Kyuhyun was waiting at his favorite restaurant. It was a fairly small restaurant and was empty right now since most of the students are at school and the adults were most probably at work. Kyuhyun was continuously tapping the heel of his heat against the white marbled floor while glancing around. He always felt nervous when meeting new people; this was one of the cons in being a lawyer. How was he supposed to reach out to clients when he was all fidgety? Thankfully, his fussy movements seemedto die down after a bit. Nevertheless, he was still nervous. Every time the bell that signaled people had come in dinged, Kyuhyun would look up, hoping it was his client even though he didn’t have a clue on what she looked like.

Was she tall? Was she short? Is she Korean? Kyuhyun wondered.

Well, of course she’s Korean you dumbo, how did you communicate with her in the first place. A part of him stated.

You never know, she could be a foreigner and still be really good in speaking Korean! I know plenty of people who are like that! His other side argued, not wanting to lose.

Oh, yeah? Who? You have no friends, the other side of him retorted.

A cry of outrage said, Hey, we’re in the same body! If I have no friends, you have no friends either!

You’re right. I’m sorry, the other part of him finally conceded.

Kyuhyun nodded, the war against him had ended. Kyuhyun silently wondered if he had turned crazy since he was fighting with himself. He lightly slapped his cheek as an attempt to snap himself out of his craziness. Someone cleared their throat and Kyuhyun looked up. His doe eyes staring straight at the person in front of him.

“Mr. Cho?” Yoona asked.

Kyuhyun hurriedly stood up; obviously not ready to have met her so suddenly. Kyuhyun failed to stand up when he slipped on a napkin lying on the floor. He cursed under his breath. Trying to cover up his embarrassing moment, he flashed a bright smile and held out his arm, “Hi! You must be Ms. Im. Please to meet you.”

Yoona shook his hand and nodded. Kyuhyun gestured her to sit and she did. “Would you like anything?” Kyuhyun offered politely.

“I’m fine, thank you.” Yoona rejected. Her stomach seemed to think otherwise because the exact moment that Yoona had rejected the offer, her stomach growled. Yoona wrapped her arms around her tummy, thinking maybe it would help. Her face flushed. Kyuhyun raised his hands and made a waving motion, something you would do when you want to order something at a restaurant. He ordered 2 portions of his favourite dish, black bean noodles and ordered 2 strawberry milkshakes.  While waiting for the food, Kyuhyun would open his mouth to try and start a conversation but would always end up closing his mouth again. If there was anyone else in the diner, they would have thought he was imitating a goldfish looking for food.

Yoona didn’t really mind the silence. In fact, she enjoyed it. She was never one to enjoy such long conversations with people she didn’t know. Yoona looked up, curious to see how the lawyer looked like. She faced upwards and glanced at the man.

Kyuhyun finally got a glimpse of her face. He wasn’t able to properly see her since her hair was covering half of her face. The first word that came to Kyuhyun’s mind was beautiful.

She’s beautiful….. yet familiar. Really familiar. Her troubled expression and those big doe eyes that never shined, her slim and petit figure, her slightly wavy brunette hair. 

Kyuhyun felt like he has seen her somewhere else, but he just couldn’t put his finger on it. The answer was at the tip of his tongue.

Suddenly, it clicked. She was the girl who brought me home! Okay, that sounded a tad weird. Kyuhyun mentally laughed at his weirdness. It makes me sound like a pet or something.

“HI! We meet again!” Kyuhyun exclaimed, finally able to say something to her. Yoona on the other hand was confused, “Have we met before?” she asked uncertain. Kyuhyun frowned a bit at her sentence. Well, what was he expecting? A hug? No, she didn’t seem like the type to do that.

“Yes, we did. My name is Kyuhyun. Cho Kyuhyun. The one you brought home because I fainted?” He asked, trying to help her recall who he was. Nobody wanted to be forgotten. Though he couldn’t blame her, they had only met once and he didn’t even recognize her at first. Yoona suddenly remembered who he was. She snapped her fingers, “Right! I remember you.”

Kyuhyun smiled. The food had arrived. Yoona widened her eyes at the bowls of black bean noodles. Kyuhyun forgot to tell her that he had ordered for two. Since Yoona rejected the offer, she thought the food was all for the average sized man sitting in front of him.

Two portions for a guy might be normal but those bowls are huge! How can a guy like him finish all those?

Yoona was greatly surprised when Kyuhyun placed the bowl of noodles in front of her. Kyuhyun smiled with sincerity shown on his face, “Enjoy!” Yoona was about to reject, but then her tummy grumbled when she caught side of the delicious bowl of noodles sitting in front of her, just waiting for her to grab her chopsticks and gobble them up.

Oh, what the heck. I haven’t had these in years.

Yoona decided to take advantage of this opportunity. She picked up her chopsticks and started digging in. She ate in big mouthfuls, hungrier than ever. She wasn’t able to eat dinner yesterday and she skipped breakfast. Kyuhyun watched her, his eyes wide. His jaw open, the noodles that he was supposed to eat were left hanging on the stainless steel chopsticks he was handling in his right hand. He watched his mom eat, his sister eat, and none of those girls compared to how Yoona was eating right now. Kyuhyun snapped out his daze and realized it was rude to stare, but wow that girl can eat!

 He went back to eating his own share of noodles, still amazed at the fact of how she just inhaled those noodles like she was a vacuum. He ate slowly, not wanting to choke or get hiccupps since they still had to discuss the case later on.

Yoona lifted her head up and stopped to chew her noodles. Her cheeks were filled with noodles. Her cheeks looked like it was stuffed with buns on each side. Yoona was feeling thirsty and reached for her drink. Her drink was a strawberry milkshake which was placed on a tall glass, with half a strawberry placed on the side and a little cute umbrella. She stirred the drink with her blue wavy straw and gasped when the icy cold pink drink ran down . Oh, how she missed drinking milkshakes. She could never afford to buy a milkshake or any other drink besides water with the tight budget she had. She sometimes had coffee, but that was justt because she worked at a cafe and it was on the house.

Kyuhyun was wiping his mouth that was stained with black bean sauce. That was one of the best and worst part when eating black bean noodles. You always got stains at the side of your mouth, and occasionally had to wipe your lips. But it was one of the best parts because it was fun whenever someone got a stain at the edge of their mouth.

He looked up and saw that Yoona had a black stain at the edge of her lip. He reached out for another napkin to wipe Yoona’s mouth. “You have a little something there,” He reached over and was slowly getting closer to Yoona. It was just like one of those cliche movie scenes, where the guy reaches out to wipe her lips and their eyes suddenly meet, and the backrgound song comes in and they slowly kiss. The music was already playing in Kyuhyun's head, he was slowly reaching in and was just about to wipe the edge of ,

until Yoona wiped it herself with the back of her hand.

“Oh, thanks.” Yoona thanked. Embarrassed, Kyuhyun quickly retracted his hands and resumed eating, acting like nothing ever happened.

After they were finished with their meal, Yoona thanked Kyuhyun for the most fulfilling meal she’s had for the past 15 years. Kyuhyun pulled the papers that he set aside earlier and decided that this would be the best time to ask her questions regarding the case.

“So, it says here in your folder you were filed for murder, is that true?”

“Yes. But I didn’t murder him! I would never do that.” Yoona defended herself.

“Is there any reason why someone would file a case against you?” Kyuhyun raised his eyebrow.

Yoona sighed, “I don’t know why he would file a case against me. His name is Henry. I was friends with him. Well, not so much as friends but so much as acquaintances. Daehyun introduced him to me. As far as I know, I didn’t do anything to make him hate me. We seldom talked. I don’t see how not talking to someone can make you qualified for murdering your own best friend.”

“I see. Can you explain how you two met again? And Daehyun was the one you were accused of killing, right? Can you tell me your relationship between you, Daehyun and Henry?” Kyuhyun asked, not fully understanding the story between them.

“Sure,” Yoona’s voice cracked at the end of the syllable at the mention of Daehyun's name. “Let me explain the whole thing. Daehyun,“ She closed her eyes and took a deep breath, her heart still hurting from remembering him. “He is my best friend,“ Kyuhyun took note of how she said ‘He is’ instead of ‘He was’. "He was the one who stayed with me through thick and thin. He helped me, ever since I was a little kid. But one day, he confessed to me. I accepted him, even though I was still confused with what I felt. I thought, why not?"

"We dated for a few months, and I thought I fell for him, I really did. But then later on I realized it wasn’t love that I felt for him. I mean, it was love. But it wasn’t the same love he felt for me, the love I felt for him was brotherly love. I loved him like a brother.”She let out a shaky breathe, “Once I realized that, I broke up with him. I guess Daehyun felt hurt and the next thing I knew was we were arguing. We haven’t talked to each other since. I kept waiting for his call because he usually would call me after a fight, but he never did. I.. found out what happened to him a few days later. And I regret it so damn much because we didn’t even leave on good terms! I can never see him again.” Yoona said, still angry at herself. She let a tear slip before quickly wiping it. She didn’t want people to see her cry. “I first met Henry when I was still with Daehyun. Daehyun introduced me to him. At first, he was Daehyun’s roommate but he moved out later on. Daehyun and Henry still kept in touch even after Henry moved out. Although I didn’t talk to him much, we still got along. Whenever I and Daehyun broke in an argument, Daehyun would storm out and leave me there. Henry would comfort me when I cried there. Henry would also sometimes come along whenever me and Daehyun had our little outings. I really don’t know why Henry would think I killed him.I absolutely had no intention of killing him.”

Kyuhyun nodded, understanding that this was a hard topic for her. “I see. I guess that’s enough for today. I’ll look for more information on this guy named Henry and we’ll keep in touch soon.” Kyuhyun gathered his folders and shoved them into his briefcase. “I’ll be going now!” He waved goodbye and for that, Yoona was thankful because she needed time to think right now.