Chapter 17: Yoong? Yoong!

Twist of Fate

Kyuhyun dreaded this day.

This was the day he was going to meet Yoona again. He decided to stay away from her for some time to calm her probably distorted thoughts. Also, he needed time to prepare himself. To prepare himself for what he was bringing upon himself. It was hard for him not to see her for a while, although it’s only been a week, -a week too long for Kyuhyun maybe- and he didn’t want to go there without a fully composed mind.

He didn’t want to visit her immediately and pretend that nothing happened between them and go back to normal like he’s seen so many times in those TV shows he secretly watches when he’s alone. No, he didn’t want that.

Because something did happen.

Just the thought of it made his heart flutter. He mentally gagged. Since when did he turn into such a sappy, lovesick, and whipped guy?

As soon as he finished his heavy load at work, he drove to where he thought Yoona would be right now. It was kind of hard to find her sometimes; he didn’t exactly know her schedule every day, what times she worked at different places. There were times where he had to force himself to buy something at the café when Yoona wasn’t there just to save face and not be one of those people that enter a café and leave without buying anything.

But it was always different. Whenever he forced himself to buy coffee, it tasted like ordinary coffee. But coffee tasted sweet when Yoona was there to make it for him. As strange as it sounds, she could even make his bitter Americano taste sweet.

Oh God, I need to get a grip on reality.

“Where’s Yoona?” He couldn’t see her anywhere.

Seohyun gave him a lazy shrug. “No idea. Her shift ended hours ago.”

“Oh,” he said, disappointment evident in his tone. “Do you know where she is?”

She shook her head no.

“Thanks,” he gave her a polite smile and his heels to leave, although she didn’t really answer his question.

He’s been there enough times for him to get acquainted with Yoona’s coworkers. Thankfully, he didn’t have to force himself to buy coffee anymore since they knew he went there for Yoona, and not for their baked treats, tea, coffee, or whatever they sell.

“Why don’t you call her?”

Kyuhyun stopped in his tracks. He mentally choked himself. Why hadn’t he ever thought of that? He’s been troubling himself with looking for her everywhere all the time, relying on his intuition –which was not always accurate, mind you- to find her when all he could have done was call her. It’s the 21st century, for goodness sake. Everyone had cell phones.

He’s called her before, but he never called her when searching for her. Just how stupid could he be?

“I-I was just about to do that,” he lied, hoping his tone was natural enough for her to believe.

 “Oh, alright. Say hi to Yoona for me when you see her.”

“Will do.”

 

The user is currently busy. Your call will be directed to an automated voicemail. Please leave your messages after the beep.

Bee-

Kyuhyun hung up the phone before the beep could even finish. He was frustrated that Yoona wasn’t picking up. He headed over to her place. He decided to wait outside, kind of like a stakeout. Actually, he planned on going to the music shop next. But then Yoona never told him where it was and he knew better than to trust his instincts because his intuition never got him anywhere. He already knew what would happen if he went looking for the music shop. He would just end up lost and he would have to go back home because it was late and try again the next day.

Kyuhyun definitely did not want to wait for the next day because the anxiety was starting to eat him alive.

 

Exactly one hour and forty-five minutes has passed since he’s waited. Kyuhyun knows because he’s checked his wristwatch and phone so many times. The only thing that kept him occupied were the music coming from the radio and the countless amount of games he’s downloaded on his smart phone.

“Yoong!” he shouted abruptly then hurriedly pulled the windows down when he realized that she couldn’t hear him.

“Yoong!” he repeated. He frowned when she kept walking although he was sure that she heard him because he shouted loud enough for heads to turn his way. He ducked his head out of embarrassment and proceeded to lock the car door and run after her.

“Yoona?” he called as he repeatedly knocked on the door. “Yoong, I know you’re in there. Open up.”

He heard her unlock the chain and was soon met with Yoona’s soft profile that he liked so much.

“Hi.”

“Hey.”

“Can I –uh, come in?” He cleared his throat. This was harder and not to mention more awkward than he thought it would turn out.

“Sure.”

“So-“

“Uh-“

They both started at the same time.

“Uh, you go first.” Kyuhyun motioned.

“No, go ahead.”

“No, really. You first.”

No, you first.”

“I insist.”

“Just talk, will you?” Yoona snapped, this was going to go forever if she didn’t say anything.

Kyuhyun slightly smiled. There’s the Yoona he knew. He was starting to dislike the short replies she gave him.

“What’s wrong with you?”

What?”

Okay, maybe he worded that wrong. “I mean, what’s up with you?” He said slowly and tried again. “You avoided my calls and you ignored me earlier. Do you know how humiliated I was when people looked at me earlier?”

Yoona lifted her shoulders before letting it fall, giving him a shrug with an ‘I-don’t-really-care’ look. “Sorry,” she apologized albeit rather halfheartedly.

Kyuhyun nodded his head and another wave of awkwardness flushed over them. His eyes moved back and forth like a ping pong ball, looking everywhere except her.

“So, is there a reason why you came here? I’m pretty tired and it’s getting late so I’d like to head to bed.”

“Oh, right…” he muttered.  “I’m sorry, it just…” Kyuhyun hesitated. “I just wanted to talk about yesterday.”

He didn’t miss the way Yoona glaciated and looked away. He faced her and stared at her for a long time, waiting for her pretty eyes to meet his curious ones but she never did, her eyes stayed glued to her white wall that suddenly turned interesting. Kyuhyun finally stopped staring and looked away, his eyes flashing hurt. He was starting to regret this now.

He wanted to hide in a rabbit’s burrow and never see daylight again. Maybe he could buy a sack of carrots on the way home and offer them to the king rabbit in exchange for him living with them and then maybe he could one day become their king and rule them all with only the strongest rabbit as his subordinates. The idea seemed ridiculous, he knew, but it appealed to him because he wanted to cower away from the deafening silence that lingered between them.

“Okay.”

“What?” he asked. This always happens to him. It was like a reflex for him to say ‘what?’ after a person says something, even though he heard them perfectly. He didn’t know why. It was one of his weak points actually, because people around him would always be annoyed because they would have to repeat their sentences again. If Kyuhyun gained a penny for every time someone called him deaf, he would be a millionaire right now.

“Okay, let’s talk about yesterday,” she replied, sitting on the far end of the couch. “What happened yesterday?”

Kyuhyun could only let out a prolonged “uhh….”. He was taken aback by her boldness. Yoona looked at him, urging him to continue and talk but he could only let out a bunch of incoherent mumbles that sounded like a baby’s babbles.

“We kissed,” he finally blurted out. “I kissed you.” He regained his confidence and sat up straight.

“We did,” she nodded along, her voice slightly faltering along with her confidence. “Why… did you do that?” Yoona was uncomfortable with the topic. She didn’t want to talk about this. But she’s tired of running away from things she doesn’t want to do, she just wants to get this over with and call it a night.

“Spur of the moment,” he tried to answer in a casual tone but failed to do so when his voice cracked. “I also kissed you because I like you.” He fiddled with his fingers, feeling like he just went back in time and flew to when he was in seventh grade and first confessed to a girl he admired. Although he was older than her and he was the male alpha between the both of them, he felt small. “If you didn’t know yet,” he added at the end.

Yoona half-nodded and half-shook her head, signaling both answers, yes and no. “I did a bit, but then again I didn’t at the same time.”

“I’m confused.”

“I am, too.”

Kyuhyun knew she wasn’t talking about her previous statement, she was confused about everything. He understood, he would have been too. But he was confused too, she wasn’t the only one. He was confused and frustrated. He wanted an answer; he wanted to know if she liked him back.

“So, I like you.”

“Good to know.” Her answer was like gasoline, adding fuel to his frustration. It was ambiguous, something he couldn’t figure out.

“So? Do you like me back?” Kyuhyun knew he was pushing it, this wasn’t how he planned it to be, he didn’t know what came over him. Heck, he shouldn’t even have asked if she liked him back, he was supposed to tell her that he liked her and it was supposed to end there. Kyuhyun figured that he found out something about himself today, Cho Kyuhyu was not one to follow plans.

“I don’t know.”

“What do you mean you don’t know?”

The filter from his brain to mouth seemed to malfunction because his mouth was just pouring out the words; he didn’t even know what he was saying. He knew exactly why she didn’t know and he was supposed to be understanding, so why did he say that?

“I- I just don’t know, okay?” she burst. “I don’t know if I like you or not. Honestly, I can’t tell. I just have mixed feelings, alright? I feel like everything’s just too fast and you pushing me and asking me and forcing me to answer whether I like you back or not is not helping me make up my mind. So there’s your answer. Are you happy now? I. Don’t. Know.”

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly after a while. “I know I shouldn’t have done that. I just don’t know what’s wrong with me.  I was so nervous on my way here and I’m a bit stressed right now and I let it out on you. I’m sorry.” Kyuhyun reached out and held Yoona’s hand. She froze. “I’ll give you some time, okay? Just –just let me know when you’re ready. I won’t force you or anything. Call me or see me once you’ve figured it out.”

Kyuhyun released her hand and let himself out the apartment without waiting for Yoona’s answer, the anxiety still biting at him.


A/N: This chapter is unedited. (There's no difference anyway since I barely edit anything from my chapters) Please tell me if you manage to spot any grammatical errors. ^^

And I didn't know what to name this chapter, sorry. ><