Chapter 10: It's Not A Date

Twist of Fate

“Are we there yet?” Yoona asked for the hundredth time. Frankly, Kyuhyun was sick of hearing those four words. He heard from his colleagues of how annoying their nieces were whenever they would go on roadtrips because they would ask the same questions over and over again and all Kyuhyun would do was laugh at them because of how pitiful they looked. He never thought it would be this bad.

“For the last time,” Kyuhyun said, exasperated, “We aren’t there yet!” Yoona flinched at his booming loud voice.

Kyuhyun let out a deep sigh, trying to calm himself down. “I’ll tell you once we reach there,” Kyuhyun said with his eyes fixated on the barren road in front of him. “For the mean time, sleep,” He ordered. Yoona pouted but obeyed nevertheless.

It was a few minutes later when the sound of light snoring filled the empty car. Kyuhyun leaned his back against his leather car seat and for once, enjoyed the silence of the car. There were no more ‘I need to pee’, or ‘Are we there yet?’ or ‘I’m bored’. It was silence.

And it was beautiful.

But that moment of peacefulness was replaced by a moment of panic when Kyuhyun looked past his steering wheel and realized he was running out of gas. Kyuhyun slapped his smooth forehead when he realized he forgot to fill his tank.

“No, no, no.” Kyuhyun mumbled those words over and over again until his car came to a stop in the middle of a road. “Damn it!” Kyuhyun cursed and hit his steering wheel and stiffened when Yoona stirred. Carefully, he stepped out of his car and took all his frustrations out on a tumbleweed.

They were stranded.

 

“Help!” Kyuhyun waved his hands but to no avail. Much to his chagrin, every truck or car that passed by –which honestly wasn’t that many considering how deserted this place was- ignored him. Two hours had passed –yes, he counted- since he realized his gas tank was empty. Two hours had passed when Kyuhyun realized that there was no signal here, so he couldn’t call anyone for help. Two hours had passed since he decided to wait outside to ask help from a stranger. Two hours since his plan went out of hand. Unfortunately, no one was willing to help him. Yoona was still sound asleep inside his car. Kyuhyun didn’t know how she could sleep with all the heat while he was sweating bullets outside.

Kyuhyun had shed his suit jacket an hour ago when he came to a conclusion that the summer heat was just too much for him. He was now standing outside on an empty highway wearing brown leather shoes, black cotton dress pants and a white polo that was drenched with sweat. There was an unmistakable armpit stain on his polo. His satin striped tie was wrapped around his forehead to try keeping his hair – that was matted with sweat- away from his eyes.

“Excuse me! Hello!” Kyuhyun cupped his hands over his mouth as to let his voice be heard when a beaten up truck came into view.

“Hello, sir,” Kyuhyun greeted and gave the man a ninety degree bow, “I’m sorry to bother you, but do you have any gas?” He asked the driver. The driver was an old man; he was wearing a fisherman hat and tacky overalls. His front teeth were missing while the other few he had left were covered with what Kyuhyun assumed was tar. Honestly, Kyuhyun was frightened by the man because he had this weird glint in his eyes but Kyuhyun needed to get moving –fast.

“Young man, I have a lot of gas in me,” he joked. “If you know what I mean.”

“Haha,” Kyuhyun let out an awkward laugh, “Unfortunately, I do,” he mumbled to himself.

“Have a seat!” The stranger patted the worn out old passenger seat and bent over to unlock the door to welcome him in. Kyuhyun honestly didn’t know if this was normal since he’d never done this before but nevertheless, he went in. It felt like he was being lured by a e. The seat smelled like old fart.

“So, tell me why such a young man like you is standing in the middle of a highway?”

Kyuhyun tried to briefly explain his current situation but couldn’t when he felt disturbed by the old man’s wrinkly hand that was –what the man would like to call it- sensually rubbing his thigh. Kyuhyun tried to ignore the feeling since he really needed to get a move on because he was falling behind schedule and there is a possibility that the man was doing it unintentionally. It couldve been his habit. Old people tend to have weird habits. But he was proved wrong when the man suddenly moved his hand upwards, startling Kyuhyun and making him feel violated at the same time.

It was then and there that Kyuhun swore he would never see his grandfather the same way ever again.

 

“Where are we?” Yoona stirred from her sleep.

“Good, you’re up.” Kyuhyun said without taking his eyes off the road. His jacket, tie, shoes, and everything else that was suffocating him was thrown to the backseat. Now, all Kyuhyun was wearing was his black cotton dress pants, socks, and his white polo that was dry of sweat thanks to his air conditioning. His white or rather yellow polo emanated a stinking smell of sweat. “We’re almost there.”

Yoona nodded in response, showing that she understood. The rest of the ride was silent with Kyuhyun driving and Yoona looking out the window. The sun had set a few hours ago, so it was fairly dark with bright, little white specks scattered around the vast sky.

 

“We’re here.” Kyuhyun finally said those two words that Yoona had wanted to hear ever since he kidnapped her from work this morning.

Yoona stuck her head out of the window to take a good look at her surroundings. “Where are we?” Yoona was taken aback. All she could see were cars –there were probably around a hundred- parked neatly by each other. She couldn’t see anything at all. There were no buildings nearby. Just a giant black screen up front. Was there some sort of event or something?

“You’ll see.” Kyuhyun grinned before getting out of the car.

“Hey! Where are you going?” Yoona was about to open the door to get out and follow the male until he told her to stay inside. Yoona kept her eyes fixed on the rearview mirror to see what Kyuhyun was taking. To her surprise, it was a blanket.

A large, fluffy, light blue blanket.

“We aren’t getting out of the car?” Yoona asked when Kyuhyun returned.

“Nope.”

“What are we going to do here? My hurts from sitting.”

“I didn’t need to know that, but good to know,” Kyuhyun let out an airy laugh. “We’re going to watch a movie.” Kyuhyun checked his watch, “We're at a drive-in theater. There’s five minutes until the movie starts. Are you hungry? I was going to take you out to eat, but I got sidetracked so I just bought this,” Kyuhyun took out a white plastic bag filled with different sort of junk food –chips, sodas, chocolates, biscuits, even gummy bears.

“It’s fine. This would suffice,” Yoona said while biting off a gummy bear’s head. “I know this would come off a stupid, but what's a drive-in theater?"

"It's just like a normal theater, but instead of paying for tickets and sitting inside, you get to watch the movie from your car."

Yoona let out an 'ohh'. "What movie are we watching?”

“You’ll see soon.”

It was silent for a moment.  "Have you ever done this?” Kyuhyun curiously asked.

“No, it’s my first time.”

“That’s good. I wanted our first date to have a first. I’ve never done this before either.”

It’s not a date, was what Yoona wanted to say but couldn’t when Kyuhyun shushed her, saying that the movie was starting.

 

“I’m in my dreaaaaaaaaaaam!” Kyuhyun and Yoona crazily sang in unison. They were singing along to IU’s Good Day. The movie just finished thirty minutes ago and they were now on their way back. The sugar and caffeine they consumed just started kicking in. It was now 9:00 pm.

Yoona chortled as her and Kyuhyun’s voice cracked while singing. Their body uncontrollably shaking as they laugh at themselves. Yoona wiped her tears when the laughter died down.

“Oh, that was the best.” Kyuhyun sighed.

 

“All right, I guess we’re here.” Kyuhyun said as he pulled up in front of Yoona's house.

“Thank you for today, I had a great time.” Yoona sincerely thanked the man. Kyuhyun smiled at the tiny movement at the side of her lips. That miniscule of a twitch made Kyuhyun’s heart flutter. Seeing Yoona laugh today was the best thing that he had seen today. It made up for the summer heat, it made up for the old man’s touching, it made up for everything.

“I had fun on our date too. We-“

“It’s not date.” Yoona interrupted.

“I had fun on our outing,” Kyuhyun emphasized, “too. I should kidnap you more often.” He laughed.

Yoona narrowed her eyes. “No. This is the first and last time you’ll ever be doing that, got it?”

Kyuhyun gulped at her stern voice but didn’t nod, knowing he wouldn’t keep his promise. One thing he hated the most was when someone broke their promise.

Yoon bid her goodbye and Kyuhyun waited until he was sure that Yoona had got in safely. He let out a loud and deep sigh after thinking back to today’s events. His lips curled up into a wide smile as he recalled everything that happened today. He had gotten to see different sides of Yoona.

Today, he was able to see her clumsy side,

“Ah!” Yoona exclaimed in pain after accidentally hitting her head at the roof of his car when she tried adjusting her sitting position because her leg was starting to get numb after staying in one position for so long.

 

“I’m sorry!” Yoona apologized when she accidentally dropped the bag of chips and dropped its contents on Kyuhyun's lap.

 

Her quirky side,

“Let it go, let it go, can’t hul it back eneemol!” Yoona yelled and sang along to the song playing on the radio. Kyuhyun laughed at her horrible pronounciation. “Let it go, let it go! Lalalalalala!”

“Are let it go the only words you know?” Kyuhyun chuckled.

 

And her emotional side,

“Let him go! He didn’t do anything!” Yoona screamed at the screen and sobbed when the main character was subdued against his will. Yoona slapped Kyuhyun’s arm, “Do something!”

Kyuhyun yelped at the sharp pain. “It’s a movie! What do you expect me to do? Run out of my car and run there and tell them he didn’t do anything?”

“You’re heartless!”

 

 

 

Kyuhyun smiled, "It was definitely a date."