Chapter 20: Coffee and Donuts

Twist of Fate

When Yoona had told Kyuhyun that she was willing to give him a chance, his eyes had immediately widened and he froze in his spot. He stood there for maybe almost a minute, unable to move or process anything. Every cell in his body had stopped moving and he just stood still, trying to record this moment and save it in one of the memory cards he wished he had stored in his brain just so he could watch it in the future and make sure it wasn’t a dream. The tiny little hairs on his nape stood and goosebumps made themselves evident on his skin -the tiny little circles making him feel chilly all of a sudden.

As the seconds ticked by, Yoona began to think over what she said. She wasn’t completely sure if her feelings were genuine, a part of her feared that it was just a crush, a temporary moment of infatuation that would quickly fade away. The reason for her fear was because she didn’t want to lose another important person in her life. Although she and Daehyun still stayed friends even after their break up, she didn’t want to leave this to Lady Luck and hope that she and Kyuhyun would have the same fate.

“Thank you,” Kyuhyun muttered. “You won’t regret it.” And then he smiled, this action was enough to wipe away all uncertainties Yoona possessed.

Maybe this isn’t just a crush.

 

The next day, a small doggy bag filled with two glazed donuts and a piping hot cup of coffee stood by her doorstep, provided by the courtesy of Kyuhyun. Yoona knows because there’s a bright yellow sticky note attached to the bag with his name scribbled at the bottom with a heart beside it. Unfortunately, she only sees this after she accidentally kicks the cup of brown liquid over and stains the welcome mat and her shoes. The coffee seeps through her sneakers and socks. It doesn’t burn, the coffee feels warm, probably because it’s been there for who knows how long. That does not stop the string of colorful insults that escape , though.

 

“Hey,” Kyuhyun greets her when he walks through the doors of the café and stands in front of the wooden brown counter.

“What are you doing here?” she asks in a flat tone, not even surprised by his random time of visits.

His face falls and his shoulder slump at her lack of excitement because he thinks that maybe things will be different, maybe she’d actually be excited to see him for once. But his thoughts are proved to be wrong the moment he enters. “I wanted to see you,” he says and his mouth pulls up into a smile again when he asks her, “how were the donuts and coffee?”

She glares at him, half of the reason for her glare is because she remembers how the coffee toppled over and the other half is because it was him who placed it there the first place. “Well, the coffee was splendid,” she flashes him a sarcastic smile. “It was splendid when it spilled all over my feet when I accidentally knocked it over because some idiot, that’s you I’m talking about here just in case your dense mind does not get my sarcasm,” she notes, “placed it right in front of the door. As for the donuts, I haven’t eaten it yet.”

He sends her a sheepish smile and meekly apologizes, “sorry?”

“Damn right you’re sorry,” she mumbles.

“I was trying to do something nice!” he tries to defend himself.

“Well, think next time. Who places a cup of coffee right in front of the door?”

“Well, you’re supposed to look where you’re going,” he lectures, not wanting to lose the argument.

“You know I always leave for work in a hurry. Where do I get the time to look where I’m going?”

“You’re supposed to always look where you’re going, stupid.”

“Oh, so we’re calling each other names now? Real mature of you,” she says but later on she adds, “idiot.”

“I get called an idiot for trying to be nice to his girlfriend?” he scoffs. “Oh, how the times have changed.”

“You talk as if you’ve been in this world for a whi-“ Yoona stops herself and blushes when she realizes he called her his girlfriend. She stops cleaning the table and does a 180 degree turn, her back facing him.

He tilts her head to the right and frowns at her unusual actions, but lets it go and allows himself to watch her work.

 

When Yoona finishes her shift, he takes her out for dinner. They weren’t hungry so Kyuhyun just stops by the McDonald’s drive thru and orders them both happy meals for the sake of filling their stomachs. It’s nothing, but a smile creeps its way to his face when he sees Yoona biting into her cheeseburger while opening the toy she received in her Happy Meal box. It’s a heartwarming scene for him, he doesn’t know why. He guesses that he’s in the honeymoon stage, where everything she does is amazing, where every action she makes is something praiseworthy. He wonders how long he’ll last until he finds her actions normal. He also wonders if he wants to be accustomed to her actions.

He’s always dreamed of a love where you’re at the point where you know everything about each other. The kind of love where you embrace each other’s flaws instead of hiding them, the love where you know what your other half is thinking without having to speak -the kind of love where you can freely fart and poop in front of each other’s faces. 

But then again, he’s scared. Does he want to let go of the excitement that rushes up his spine whenever he sees her? Does he really want to stop the moments where his heart starts to beat a little faster than usual whenever she comes close?

“Aren’t you going to eat that?”

Her voice snaps him out of his stupor. He blinks multiple times before he sees his untouched food has gone cold. He gathers his muddled up thoughts and scrunches his eyebrows when he realizes what he’s been thinking.

We just started dating, he reminds himself. He doesn’t want to go too far and scare her off when she just gave in and granted him a chance.

Kyuhyun lets out a loud yelp when he feels a sharp pain near his scalp.

“What did you do that for?” he cries out and rubs his head.

“You seemed out of it and you weren’t responding so I had to hit you.”

“Was it necessary?” he squeaks and starts eating his cold fries.

Yoona gives him a sweet smile and tells him, “yes.”

Her smile and answer is sarcastic, he knows. But it still doesn’t stop the butterflies from flying around his stomach.

Kyuhyun gobbles up the rest of his food and drives them home. He doesn’t want to think of what will happen to them in the future. He just wants to think of the moment, he decides. He wants to savor the time they spend together and the rollercoaster of emotions he feels before everything whizzes by too quickly and all these moments turn into mere memories and flashbacks.


A/N: Nothing important. Just shameless advertising. :>

Are there any Khuntoria shippers out there? My friend Piange just started her story and if you guys are fans of Khuntoria and sci-fi, you should check it out. :) 

Here's the story link: L.B. 626

 

Once again, thank you readers for well... reading. 

Have a good day! :)