Chapter 5: Court Trial

Twist of Fate

During the following days, Kyuhyun and Yoona frequently met up with each other to discuss the court trial coming up. Yoona was slowly getting used to talking about Daehyun and tried her best to give Kyuhyun the information he needed by answering his questions and telling him the important factors. However, she didn't tell him every single detail and left out a few parts because she wasn't ready to fully tell him the past they had. About how she and Daehyun met.

 They grew closer over the time they spent together, and little by little, Yoona had learned to appreciate his presence and found a new friend. Kyuhyun on the other hand was glad that Yoona was talking more and opening up to him. He also seemed to enjoy her presence, more than he would ever admit. 


Today was the day of the court trial.

The room was bustling with people eager to take their seats. Yoona was quietly sitting there with her hands neatly folded on top of each other on the refined mahogany table. Her wide eyes travelled around the court room, trying to see what every inch of the court room looked like since it was her first time here. Even though it was just a plain-old brown court room, its presence was intimidating. Her brain had immediately protested against entering this room.

Yoona was sitting in her appointed seat until she visibly stiffened when a certain man entered.

Henry.

Yoona pronounced his name in her mind. Saying it with so much disdain that one would think she was furious and would lunge at him any minute now. If they did think that, they would be right about one thing. Yoona was furious.

Henry was the one who accused her of killing Daehyun. He was a man with short brown hair and had a neat cut that perfectly accentuated his sharp features. His eyes were not big but they weren’t small either. He wasn’t tall; he was averaged height and slightly towered over Yoona. He walked in wearing a suit and tie and his shiny black shoes were making a sound every time he walked on the wooden floor. Henry waved to her and smiled, giving her his boy like smile. Yoona wondered if this man was crazy. If you thought someone murdered you friend, would you wave to them?

Absolutely not, Yoona thought.

“Hey, don’t be nervous, alright? Everything’s going to be fine.” Kyuhyun reassured her, making her snap out of her thoughts. Usually, he would lay a hand on the person’s shoulder if he was comforting the person, but he recently learned that Yoona disliked skinship when he wrapped his arms around her as a habit and was rejected.

Yoona nodded to him, still nervous despite what Kyuhyun said.

The judge arrived a few minutes later and that was the start of the hearing.

“Ladies and Gentleman of the jury, this case involves the murder of Jung Daehyun. In this case, Henry Lau is the plaintiff and Im Yoona is the defendant. Henry Lau is asking you to decide whether or not Im Yoona murdered Jung Daehyun on the month of January.  Plaintiff’s lawyer, please call your first witness.”

“I call Kim Jongdae to the stand.” Lee Hyukjae, Henry’s lawyer, called.

A personnel was standing with a bible in hand, “Place your left hand on the bible and raise your right hand and repeat after me. Do you solemnly swear or affirm that you will tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?” The witness, Jongdae, repeated what was told and walked to the witness stand.

“Please state your name.”

“Kim Jongdae.” He answered.

Yoona narrowed her eyes, why was Jongdae here?

“What is your relation with the victim, Jung Daehyun?”

Jongdae pointed to himself, “Me?” Hyukjae nodded. “He was my neighbor. We lived accross each other. He would come over to my apartment sometimes and we would just hang out or play video games.”

“Would you care to explain what happened that night?”

“I live in the same building as Daehyun, I live on the apartment door in front of his. I was home that night, watching television.” Jongdae looked to the table in front of him, his eyes pleading to Henry as if he was asking for help. “I-I heard some noise. It sounded like people arguing. A few minutes later, I heard someone scream. I peeked through the peep hole and saw no one there.

I decided to knock on the door to see if everything was okay and if they needed my help. But no one answered. I thought no one heard my knock, so I rang the doorbell. The door opened and I saw Yoona standing there. Since Daehyun was my friend and I didn’t want anything to happen to their relationship, I asked if everything was okay and if I could come in to maybe talk and help them. She said Daehyun wasn’t home and was out.”

Jongdae in a deep breath and looked at Henry again.

“But I insisted and came in because I thought she was lying since I was sure I heard a noise earlier. While Yoona was in the kitchen, I looked around, searching for Daehyun. Maybe I heard wrong. Until I saw Daehyun slowly walk out of his bedroom with a knife stabbed against his chest. I grew scared. He was asking for help, but I couldn’t comprehend his words at that time because he was whispering. I was about to rush over to him until Yoona came out. She saw that Daehyun was there and looked at me. I asked what happened to him and told her he needed help. I was about to call the ambulance but she took my phone and locked the door and told me to stay put. I didn't know why she did that. Maybe it was a prank and she tried to sto me from calling but ambulance. But then she dragged him in and that was when I realized that Yoona actually knew what was going on. That was when I realized it wasn't a prank. She dragged him inside and kept her eyes on me, making sure I wouldn’t leave. She left Daehyun in the room and threatened me not to say anything, or else she would do the same to me. I nodded and just left. Days after, she would constantly remind me to not say a word or else I’d be next by sending me texts messages.”

"Do you still have the text messages?"

Jongdae shook his head. "No. She threatened me to delete it after I read it."

“Can you tell me why you decided to tell us this only now?”

“I told Henry what had happened and he said he would file a case and protect me.”

“I see.”

A few seconds of silence passed before Hyukjae turned to the judge. “That’s all, Your Honor.”

“Defense counsel, do you want to cross-examine Mr. Kim?”

Kyuhyun stood up, adjusted his suit and dusted off the imaginary dust on his clothing and walked straight over to Jongdae.

“Where were you on the night of Jung Daehyun’s murder?”

“I told you, I was at my apartment.” Jongdae replied. His answer may have seemed like he was annoyed, annoyed at the endless questions but his shaky voice and his restless eyes proved them wrong.

“Mr. Kim, I hand you what is marked as Exhibit #1.” Kyuhyun opened the manila envelope he was holding in his hand and took out what seemed to be pictures. “We checked the tapes and here, inside the folder are pictures of a video from the CCTV camera. What time did you say Yoona left?” Kyuhyun asked, his face devoid of any emotion. He wasn’t stuttering or anything. His demeanor completely different from the one Yoona had seen before. Yoona was surprised and pleased that he was taking this seriously.

“A-a-around 8:00 PM?” Jongdae stuttered. He was taken aback by the question.

 “These pictures are screen captures taken between the interval of 6:00 pm and 10:00 pm.” He pulled out the photos and displayed them on the table with his long, slender fingers, allowing Jongdae to view them all individually.

“Do you see Yoona coming out of the building in any of those pictures?”

“No.” The witness answered, his voice helpless as if he was admitting defeat.

Kyuhyun swiftly his heels and faced the judge. His shoulder was raised, radiating confidence. It was incredible how his demeanor was completely different from what he showed Yoona the other day. This Kyuhyun had poise, confidence, and he had that tone in his voice when he spoke that made others cower and confess what they have done wrong. Yoona was stunned.

“I move that Exhibit #1 be admitted into evidence.”

“Exhibit #1 is admitted into evidence.” The judge followed.

“I have no further questions.”

“You may be dismissed.” Kyuhyun nodded and strode over to his seat beside Yoona. Yoona looked to him, her eyes shining with admiration. She felt a surge of pride go through her system for having him as her lawyer. The way he addressed the judge, the way his eyes were hardened in concentration, the way he acted once the hearing started. All of those things he did made his aura exude confidence. The nervousness she was feeling earlier was now replaced with credence and trust. She could win this. She stood a chance against Henry.

“Do you have any further witnesses?”

“No.” Kyuhyun and Hyukjae replied, speaking in unison.

“Plaintiff’s counsel, would you care to make a closing argument to the jury?”

“Your honor, ladies and gentlemen of the jury...” Henry’s lawyer, Hyukjae, spoke up.

Yoona was attentive and heard what Hyukjae spoke until Yoona was made a mistake of looking around and caught Henry’s gaze, drowning his voice out. Henry smirked, there was a competitive flame in his eyes. Henry’s arms were folded against his chest and he was in a relaxed position, looking like he was relaxing and watching a movie, not sitting in a court, testifying against his bestfriend’s girlfriend for murder. Yoona hardened her gaze, ‘Why did he seem so different now that Daehyun was gone?’ Yoona thought to herself. ‘What did I ever do to him? Aren’t we supposed to look for the murderer together since Daehyun was important to both of us? What did I do to make him think of me as a suspect?’

Yoona realized that she was now having a staring competition with him and quickly looked away, not wanting to look at his cocky, arrogant face any longer. Henry smirked once again when Yoona looked away and confidently truned his body so that he was now facing forward.

“Defense counsel, do you wish to address the jury?” That was what Yoona heard when she snapped back into reality. She scrunched her nose. ‘What does that mean?’

“Yes, your honor. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Yoona is innocent. Do you think she is capable of murdering a man, who is taller, heavier, and not to mention has more strength than she does? On top of that, that man was her best friend. He was her comrade. They were friends for years, I assure you that a mere fight would not drive her to murder him. Also, she has multiple part time jobs. Where would she find the time to do that? She can barely take a break for herself.  I ask you to do the right thing and bring back a verdict in favor of Im Yoona against Henry Lau.” Yoona looked up at him, like a child who looks up to their role model, her eyes were filled with awe and respect. slightly hung, she had a huge amount of respect for this guy. He stood up for her even though he just met her a few weeks ago. He fought for her and gave his all even though he was not receiving a wage. Yoona wondered why he sounded like he strongly believed that Yoona didn’t kill him even though she hasn’t told him everything yet.

 

The court trial has now ended. The results will be announced after three days.

“Yoona, let’s go.” Kyuhyun  lightly nudged her. Yoona looked up, surprised to know that the court trial was finished. “Is it over?” She looked at him and asked and watched him neatly arrange his brief case.

“Yeah,” He nodded and waited for Yoona to stand up before heading out the same time as her.

Once they stepped out of the court, Yoona was relieved to breathe in the fresh air. Being inside the court was suffocating her. She smiled as she looked at her surroundings, there were trees planted at the side, forming a trail. She and Kyuhyun walked side by side while walking through the trail of tall, green trees. They were heading to the parking lot. “So where are you going now?” Kyuhyun asked, trying to get rid of the suffocating silence.

“I’m going to head to work.”

“Oh.” Kyuhyun looked down with a hint of disappointment present in his voice.

“Why?” Yoona asked. Usually, she would give short replies and not bother to try and continue the conversation but seeing how Kyuhyun had just fought for her back there in the court even though he wasn’t getting any compensation and now that they were considered friends, she would try to give more effort to keep up a conversation.

“I was going to ask if you wanted to grab some lunch but its fine, we can go some other time.” Kyuhyun smiled, his eyes slightly crinkling.

Yoona nodded, showing agreement.

They reached the parking lot.

 Yoona stood there as Kyuhyun walked to his car.

“I’m going to go now.” Yoona said and waved her hands goodbye and started to walk away.

“Wait!” Kyuhyun called before she would take another step, “Aren’t you going to get in?” He asked, slightly nodding his head towards his black Audi A7.

Yoona shook her head, signaling a no.

“Get in. I’ll drive you there.” He demanded.

Yoona wanted to reject but Kyuhyun immediately ducked his head to sit in the driver seat and closed the door, not waiting to her Yoona’s response. He ed his keys and started the engine and looked over the window by his passenger seat. He rolled it down and looked to Yoona with his left hand on the wheel, “Aren’t you going to get in?” He grinned, showing his pearly whites.

Yoona was shocked by his newfound confidence and unconsciously nodded. She slowly walked to the passenger seat and opened the door and sat inside, shutting the door with a ‘click’. She silently admired the interior of the car and slowly ran her fingers through the side door, enjoying the smooth texture. Kyuhyun smiled at Yoona’s blank face before driving away.

“So where do you work?” Kyuhyun asked with his eyes facing the road.

“Just drop me off there,” Yoona pointed to a rest stop a few stoplights away, “I can walk to my work place from there.” 

“Why? I can drop you where it is. I don’t have anything to do after this.”

“Just drop me off there. I also need to buy something.” She quickly whipped up a lie, not wanting to let him know where she worked.

“Do you want me to wait for you, then?”

“No. It’s fine. I can walk there on my own. It’s just a few minutes away.” She insisted.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes.” 

“Okay.” Kyuhyun sighed and pulled over. “I’ll see you at the next trial.” Kyuhyun smiled.

Yoona nodded and waved her hands goodbye and made sure that Kyuhyun had left before turning her back and walking to her work place, which would take her twenty minutes if she would walk. 'Better hurry,' she sighed and fastened her pace.



A/N: I'm so sorry for not updating for so long! I was stuck with the court trial part. xDD Was it confusing for any of you? Did it make any sense? I don't think it did. O.O Sorry about that! 
 

On another note.... HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!  I hope you guys had fun pranking people! ^^