Chapter 6

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!


That evening @ Soo Hyun's residence.


KIM SOO HYUN got off the elevator upon reaching the 30th floor of his apartment building. He stormed towards his apartment and unlocked the door upon entering the password at the touch screen security intercoms and tossed his briefcase onto the sofa. He loosened his tie and ed the rest of his formal shirt roughly while gritting his teeth. He still could not get over the incident at the campus garden earlier. What Young Hee had said earlier. He was totally pissed off that he kicked the unmoving sofa in rage just thinking how mad he is right now.

"Are you just going to sit back and do nothing as you watch her walked away because of your selfish ego coward self?" 

The words were constantly repeating in his head that it almost drives him mad. He walked towards the kitchen and got himself a cold drink from the fridge to cool himself down. That is when he heard a lady's voice calling for him. 

"Kim Soo Hyun-sshi"

He was stiffened immediately upon hearing that voice. That familiar voice. He recognized it instantly. The voice he had been missing so much. The voice he had been longing to hear. He turned around and saw the person. It was Kwon Yuri. The woman he had been keeping in his heart. The woman who once gave his life happiness and joy. The woman who also made him smile and was also the one who took his smile away. The woman who took away his happiness. The woman who had made his heart break into pieces and remained shattered. That woman whom, despite all the sufferings she had put him through, is still irreplaceable in his heart. The woman who, despite all the wounds she had caused in his heart, still could not make him hate her because he loves her so much. That woman who had just made him into a fool but he couldn't get mad at it because he still loves her. That woman who had once made his heart fluttered, taken away his happiness and left him in agony is now appearing just right in front of him. 

"It's been a while." she smiled with watery eyes. Her expression shows a deep feeling of longing. Longing for him just the way he longed for her too. She slowly walked towards him and gave him a hug.

"I've missed you, Oppa." she said, and continued hugging him tightly.

He had longed for her embrace. He had longed for this moment.  He stiffened in her warm hug. Tears started to stream down his face when the thoughts of how cruel she was to have left him without saying goodbye popped in his mind and makes his heart ache.

"What are you doing here," he asked in a trembled voice.

Yuri pulled away from the hug and looked at his eyes, but his eyes look away. 

"Oppa, I came back for you. I've missed you," she smiled and hugged him again but this time Soo Hyun gently pushed her away. He wasn't going to ask 'where have you been' or 'don't you know how much I've been missing you' and hug her looking at her in that state. That person has returned with a smile after making his heart break into pieces and shattered. She returned with a smile just because she misses him and that she thinks everything would be okay after that. She returned with a warm hug because she thinks that just by doing that she could fix his broken heart. 

"Get out from my house. I don't want to see you ever again." he said, his eyes never looked at hers while she was still looking at him in the eyes, her eyes widened and started to become watery.

"O..p-pa, why are you doing this to me?" she stuttered. "I've returned. I've come to be by your side, why are you doing this to me?" she asked in disbelief. She was shocked at his cold treatment. "Is this how you welcome me, your sweetheart?" she asked again.

"That... has ended the day you left me." he said. He tried to hold back his tears of mixed emotions. Part of him was happy that she had finally returned to his side. Part of him was mad, utterly disappointed and angry that she returned thinking that everything is okay. Part of him was disappointed at himself that even though he was mad he still couldn't get over the fact that he too, misses her so damn much.

"Op..pa, I didn't mean to leave you. I was there for w--" before she could finish with her explanation, he cut her off.

"Didn't your hear? I told you to get out of my house. And don't ever show up in front of me anymore." but she just stood there, with tears running down her cheek.

"Oppa, I'm sorry," she began to cry. The make-ups on her eyes were all ruined because of the tears. 

"By the time I got back, make sure I won't be seeing you in this house anymore." he said and stormed out of his apartment and banged the door.

Yuri knelt down on the floor while her hand was holding onto the dining table, finding balance. She cried heavily just thinking how hurt it is to be treated that way by him. 

"Oppa, I'm sorry," she kept crying that out loud. 

 

 


Young Hee @ the convenience store


LEE YOUNG HEE had just got off the convenience store not far from her house. She pulled closer the side of her blue cardigans together while walking aong the streets. The air was chilly on that night. She had bought some canned instant coffee for her to drink tonight. She had gone through such an exhausting day today and no matter how tired she feels, she couldn't just go to sleep as she needs to prepare for tomorrow'a test paper. It was a English and the History so there has to be some reading and memorizing to be done. She just feels the need to burn midnight oil for that night, which he hoped would be able to keep her mind occupied without thinking the hurtful memory she had gone through that afternoon.

As she was walking, she stumbled upon a person with a familiar figure. He was walking strangely and not in a stable state. She ran towards him upon seeing that he was about to fall. She caught him just right at time. He was there, still wearing the black shirt, lying in her arms, in the middle of the pathway along the busy street, and it seemed like he had just come out from the nearby soju stall.

"Yuri-ah.." he mumbled.

"Urgh!" Young Hee could not stand the stench of alcohol coming out from his mouth.

"Sonsaengnim, wake up!" she shook him helping him to regain his consciousness. His eyes were half opened and his eyebrows meet just to study a figure in front of him.

"You..." he said, recognizing who she is. "Why are you here..." he mumbled again.

This time Young Hee used all her strength to get him up. "Sonsaengnim, please get up! Gggoshhh!" she struggled to rest his arms on her shoulders to keep him steady. She then walked him to the nearby the while Nissan Rogue, knowing that it was his car. She opened the door to the passenger's seat and figured it was not locked. She then rested him on the passenger seat and get onto the driver's seat. She looked at him and motioned her head.

"He was too drunk to drive." she muttered. "Sonsaengnim, where's the key?" she asked, but he kept on mumbling to himself. She placed her hands to his slacks pocket to feel if there was a key inside and took it out. Looking at his state left Young Hee with no choice but to rummage through his pocket to check his ID in his wallet in order to find out where he stays. She decided to drive him to his home. She pulled herself over him to put on seatbelt for him but remained still when their faces were just a few inches apart. Gosh, why does he has to be so hot even in this state! She placed her hands very close his face, wanting to caress his face slowly and gently, studying his fine fair skin. She stared at his lips for quite a while before coming back to her senses. She then shook away the thoughts of wanting to kiss him and quickly fastened the seatbelt and drove away. While on their way to the apartment, Soo Hyun could not stop mumbling about someone of which she knows.  

"Why did you appear.."

"I hate you.."

"No... I love you... why did you leave me.."

"Sonsaengnim, please come back to your senses!" Soohyun leaned himself on Young Hee's shoulders. Young Hee kept on shaking his shoulders asking him to pull himself together while maintaining her eyes on the road.

Finally when they were in front of the door to his apartment, Young Hee cupped his chin and gently slapped Soohyun's cheek to wake him up. She needs to know the password so that they can get in. Suddenly the door opened and a lady came out. She recognized her instantly. Kwon Yuri.

"Oh my! Miss, can you help me carry him to his bed?" the lady asked and both of them tried to drag the heavy guy into his room. Young Hee wanted to just leave, knowing that she does not have anything to do any longer but was stopped when Yuri called her from behind.

"Are you going to leave now? Do you want to stay for a drink?" she invited. She sat on the dining chair and looked around while waiting for Yuri to make some tea. The apartment was very neat, tidy and clean. 

'He really knows how take care of the house.' she thought. Compared to her attic house, hers was rather messy with books other stuffs around. And she didn't even make her bed everytime she wakes up. The true colour of a Dean's student.

Yuri handed her a cup of tea and sat down. Young Hee slightly bowed her head thanking her for the tea. There were an awkward silent moment for a while before Yuri began to speak. 

"Sorry that we have to meet in this circumstances... but who are you?" she asked politely.

"Ah.. I'm Lee Young Hee." she replied.

"Lee Young Hee... I see. Erm, what's your relationship with Soo Hyun oppa?" she asked again in curiosity.

"He's my lecturer. I was on my way back from the convenience store when I bumped into him in his..drunken state. There was no one else there so I decided to just drive him home." she explained.

"I see." she nodded slowly. She contemplated whether to introduce herself as she new that Young Hee surely knows her. Well, who doesn't? She is the nation's goddess, surely everybody in Korea knows her. 

"But... Yuri-sshi," she paused, contemplating whether to ask the thing that has been in her mind since a while ago.

"Deh?" she asked.

"How about you? What is your relationship with Kim Sonsaengnim?" she asked again politely. Yuri looked at her for a while smiled as she looked down, her fingers circling around the top of her mug. 

"Well... it's kind of complicated to explain." she said.

"Ah, if it's too hard then just don't answer it, it's fine." she grinned.

"Ani, it's okay." she quickly replied. "Actually, Soo Hyun and I were lovers 3 years ago. But I left him without a word... it's my fault to simply leave him like that. I think he hates me now... and I'm asking for his forgiveness, hoping that he would forgive me and come back to me." she said. 

Young Hee looked at her. There was a depressed expression lying behind her smile. From her looks Young Hee could tell that Yuri was really guilty, sad and hurt, hoping to be given a second chance. She remembered seeing that look on Soo Hyun's face that afternoon. While she knows that both Yuri and Soo Hyun were hurt, she realized that her heart ached into pieces too... for some reasons.

 

 

 


The next day @ Soo hyun's residence

 


KIM SOO HYUN woke up upon the sound of alarm which he set automatically to ring daily at 7.00AM. He could feel his head were a bit dizzy and realized he was still wearing the black formal shirt he wore yesterday. He tried to recall last night's incident and could barely remember anything. He only remembered that he met Yuri in his house and stormed off from the house to drink. 

How did I end up here? he asked himself. He still felt a headache upon remembering what had happened yesterday and so he grabbed a towel first thing in the morning and get ready for work. He then put on a striped formal black red and white shirt. He then headed out of his room only to find his whole body stiffened upon seeing someone right before his eyes. He was stunned that he couldn't say anything. The memories of yesterday evening rushed through his mind and his heart began to race. 

"Why are you still here?" he said in a cold tone.

"Oppa, give me a chance to explain myself. I didn't meant to leave you. I left the night I got an offer to go to Broadway. I was going to tell you, but," she paused.

"Does it matter now? You've lost me the night that you left me. What's the point of giving your excuses now?" He said. Unlike yesterday evening, this time he could gather all of his strength to face her. But deep inside he was trembling. His heart was beating fast. He looked at her in the eyes and realized how much he had missed that woman. 

"You have to listen to me. I know you still love me, Oppa!" she claimed.

"Says who?" he smirked. "What makes you so sure, Kwon Yuri? After you have gone for 3 years without a word, what makes you think that I'm still gonna love you?" he asked again. 

"Please, just listen to me. I had no intention to leave you. I was going to tell you, but I thought going to Broadway was a great opportunity to be a top model and I was going to return and come back for you... for you to see me like this. I want you to be proud of me. But you treated me like this. Is that why you didn't answer my calls for the past three years? That you have given up on me? Just because I didn't tell you that I was leaving?"

"Why did you stop calling me since then?" he asked again. A year after she left to Broadway, there was a call from Broadway and even a text message saying that it was her number. He did not answer because he was really mad that she finally called after a year. Why didn't she call sooner? After leaving without saying goodbye, why did she call after a year has passed? After a year has passed she tried to call for only a few days then she stopped calling. She gave up after a few days. And now she is bringing that up, as if blaming him for not answering her calls. 

"I stopped calling because I knew you were mad at me for forgetting you and that you might have given up on me. The truth is I never forget you, Oppa. I thought the only way I can return to you is to at least achieve my dream. Our dream, don't you remember?"

 

 

*Flashback* 3 years ago

"Oppa, would you have liked it if I become a top model?" she asked while leaning her head on Soo Hyun's shoulders. They were leaning onto each other while enjoying the colourful night view and fresh air by the Han River. 

"Of course, why wouldn't I? I'll be the first one to cheer for you." he said. "You'll be the most beautiful and the most famous top model in the world."

"But you see, if I'm famous at that time I'll probably be busy. And I might have to collaborate with other male models. Aren't you jealous?"

"Why should I? I know certainly that you won't cheat on me, will you?" he asked and turned around to face her and cupped her cheek with his hands.

"Ouch! Thot hortss Oppooo, how om i gonno tolkkkk?" she said with cupped by Soo Hyun, making him giggle. Soo Hyun gave away his hands and held out his arms and pulled her into his embrace.

"I won't be jealous, baby. You are going to be the most beautiful model and stay by my side. No matter how many male models you work with, you won't be flattered and return by my side safely.. and beautifully. I will take care of you for the rest of my life and all you have to do is to just trust me and achieve your dream. And of course, keep me in your heart." he smiled looking at her eyes. 

"Thank you, Oppa, for believing in me." she smiled and looked at him, their eyes locked. Soo Hyun pulled her closer and kissed her under the moonlight. 


*End of flashback*

 

 

 

"You said you'll always be there to cheer for me. You said you'll always be there for me for the rest of your life. You said that I just have to trust you, achieve my dream and come back for you! If you're going to leave me now, why did you said things you don't mean that night?!" she started to raise her voice and her voice shook. 

"But you left me!" he yelled back instantly. "Just because you want to pursue your dream, you left me without giving me the chance to say goodbye. You left me to go far away without even telling me! I've searched for you and worried for you several days and nights, I even went to your house and you parents won't just tell me because you know they disliked me. I didn't sleep for several nights just thinking where are you and why did you leave me. And I got a call from you after a year has passed. After putting me to this sufferings and ordeal to wait, hope and look for you, finally you called?! After a year, did you suddenly remember me and is that why you finally called? After making your first appearance on TV then you called?! Back then when you first went there you only think about achieving your dream and forget the part that you would always keep me by your side! And now you even dare to show your face to me?!" he shouted, crying. 

"I'm sorry okay?! I'm sorry for not telling you because I want to surprise you. I want to pursue my dreams and come back for you so that you would be proud of me. If you were mad at me back then, returning like this would be the only way, that's what I thought back then. But I didn't expect that it would turn out to be like this. Only God knows how sorry I am for treating you that way, for leaving you and not even care if you're hurt. I'm sorry that I put you through all the sufferings when I enjoyed myself working my way on the top just to achieve my dream. I'm sorry, oppa, I'm sorry, okay?!" she said.

 

"If you're sorry, get out of my life. I don't want to see you ever again." he said. He walked a few steps towards the door when she stopped him with her words again. This time, he couldn't escaped. The words that came out from really stabbed him to his heart.

 

"You still love me, Oppa. I know you do." she said. He stood still for a moment; his back facing her. He could not deny that what she said is true. He still loves her, he had been longing for her. He missed her so much that it suffocates him. He wanted her back and had no intention of letting her go. He wished that he could just turn around and hugged her, kissed her and returned by her side and put away everything that has caused him so much pain. The urge of wanting to hold onto her was very strong that he could barely hold it in.

"I've asked you just now and I'm asking you again. What made you so sure?" he asked again while trying to fight the desire to pull her into his embrace. He missed her. Deep inside, he doesn't want her to go, leaving him once again.

"If you hated me, why did you still keep our first date together as your password? Why did you still keep our couple mugs together, the lucky bracelet that I gave you, why are you still wearing it? Why did you still keep my photos in your phones even though your phone has changed?" she asked. 

Soo Hyun's clenched his fist. This time couldn't hold it any longer. He turned around and walked towards her.

"Tell me Oppa, why did you--" He finally sealed her lips with his. As he pulled her closer and deepened their kiss, a mixed emotions rushed through him. At this moment, he only knows one thing; he had longed for this. He doesn't care whether this is right or wrong, sane or insane, but one thing for sure, he knew he needed this. He had yearned for this.