Chapter 9

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!

 

GLOOMY YELLOW STREET LAMPS SHINED DOWN the streets of Yeoksamdong late at night. It was busy as always when Kim Soo Hyun was in his Nissan Rogue with Yuri sitting next to him. He was driving and passing through the street, heading their way to Yuri's apartment. They had just come back from the Faculty Dinner and had to rush their way back as they were both tired and needed to get some rest because tomorrow is still a working day and both of them had busy schedules ahead. There were silence in the car during most of the journey; only the sounds of the DJs chattering among themselves followed by a song alternately. Yuri stole a glance at Soo Hyun every once in a while. She knew he was mad at her for the earlier's incident. 

"Are you still mad at me for calling the reporters?" she asked breaking the silence, but there was no response. Soo Hyun looked straight and concentrate on the road.

"Oppa, talk to me when I'm asking you." she insisted. But there was still no answer.

"Oppa, you should know... why am I doing this. This is for both of us." she explained. "When are you going to be ready then if not now? I just feel that today is just the perfect time to reveal our relationship."

"I told you that you can reveal our relationship, didn't I? I just don't want them to know me," he said. He really sounded mad.

"But why? Even if I told them about us, do you think they would stop at that? They won't stop until they know who you are," Yuri asked again, dissatisfied.

"I thought we have discussed about this. I just need time to adapt myself. You're too hurry!" He was mad upon recalling the incident earlier. 


*Flashback*


When the party ended, they were walking out of the centre hall. It was already past midnight when suddenly they were surrounded by flashes of camera lights by the lots of reporters and paparazzi. Soo Hyun was shocked and was about to run away from the crowd when Yuri held his hands tightly and clung onto his arms. He turned around to face Yuri. 

"Did you call them here?" he asked

"Trust me, Oppa." she smiled and face the reporters.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, cho-neun Kwon Yuri-imnida. I'm sorry for keeping this to myself for too long and I just feel bad if I don't share this to my fans and others who have supported me. There were lots of questions pertaining to my relationship status... and I just feel that it is time for me to reveal it now." she explained to the reporters.

"Who is he, Kwon Yuri-shi? Sir, what is your name? Tell us more about your boyfriend! When are you planning on getting engaged?" they were surrounded by these neverending questions and Yuri answered them one by one. It is like having a press conference at an inappropriate place and time. Soo Hyun tried to look away from the flashing lights. Some of the lecturers were passing by saw the two of them together and he started to become annoyed and irritated. And embarassed. He could not lie to himself saying that he was not mad at Yuri. He thought that Yuri was tolerant and considerate and willing to give him more time for this. But she didn't. 

 

*End of flashback*


"You didn't ask me if I agree with this. You don't care how I would feel about this," he debated. She wanted to say more, but Soo Hyun cut her off again.

"Did you know the reason why I brought you to the dinner? It's because I want to introduce you to my colleagues, to my students. Can't you see? I'm trying here, okay. I feel that bringing you to the dinner was the first step. I told you we need to take it slow. Why can't you be patient?" he said. Honestly he was disappointed with Yuri. He never thought that Yuri would do this to him. All he needs is just a little more time. What makes him mad even more was that she did that without considering that his reputation is at stake. She should have known that when she does that, she was risking his career; his job is on the line. People would think that he was too boastful about dating a top model and that he even bragged out his personal matter by calling the reporters during a closed formal event. 

Yuri looked at him with a guilty expression on her face, while Soo Hyun was still focusing on driving.

"I'm very disappointed in you, Yuri. All I need is time and you couldn't even do that for me." he said again. 

They were now reaching the basement of Yuri's apartment. Yuri unfastened her seatbelt and turned to face him. He was still looking straight without turning to face her. He really was not in a good mood. 

"Are you not gonna kiss me?" she pouted.

"Just go. I'll call you tomorrow." he said coldly. Yuri looked at him again for a while before leaving. She could tell that Soo Hyun was not in the mood to entertain her because of the incident earlier. She apologized for one last time and got out from the car with a sulky and guilty face. When she closed the door, she could hear the tyres screeching and the zooming sound of Soo Hyun's car, accelerating at top speed. She knew instantly what was that for. When he's mad, that's what he did. That has never changed until now. 

 

 

 


The next day @ the faculty

 

 


LEE YOUNG HEE was alone in the faculty's computer lab without any lights . She just feels that it is better to stay in the dark rather than wasting the light when she's the only one who was using the lab. She was there to search for materials that was listed down during the meeting she had with the Student's Representatives Body. They were planning a play for the upcoming winter season. As the President of the Dean's Student Club, she was in charge of the play as well. She will be the Assistant Director and Professor Lee will be the Director. Being the assistant director, she could predict was what ahead of her. Busy schedules, more staybacks after lectures and even spend overnight at the campus. 

She ejected her thumbdrive off the computer labelled '21'. It was her favourite spot. She remembered using this lab when they used to have ICT subject as an elective back in the 1st year. Computer numbered 21 was her favourite spot... because through the window next to her, she could see straight the staff room at the east wing building across this building. She could see Soo Hyun's room. Everytime when her ICT class ended, she would wait in the room alone because she knows Soo Hyun would walk to his room about 10 minutes after her ICT class ended. And today, she was sitting alone, glancing through the window to see his room. There was so sign of him. 

She couldn't stop smiling upon recalling the incident last night in front of the restroom. She kept on recalling how he complimented her, saying that she looked stunning that night. That alone, was enough to drive her madly insane. She wished the time would just stop after that incident because she knew she would get hurt again.. eventually. She was right. She was happy for a moment before she heard there were reporters outside the convention centre trying to dig up as many information about the two of them - Soo Hyun and Yuri. It seemed like they were at a stage where they are ready to reveal their relationship. 

Of course they would have to do that. Kwon Yuri is an international celebrity and everyone would want to know who is she dating. And Kim Soo Hyun; how can he not be happy then? Of course he is happy now they they don't have to hide about their relationship anymore. Seeing how they publicized it to the media, it feels like they are really getting back together. Kim Soo Hyun must be happy now that he became the chosen one by the nation's goddess, and they even get the whole nation's blessings, all cheering and rooting for them, and happy for them. 

She recalled the last night's incident. Yuri and Soo Hyun were very happy together, joking around, with Yuri kissing his cheek and made him blushed and smiled; Soo Hyun pinched her cheek, laughing together, and even gained the majority votes at the very last minute for the Best Dressed Awards for Couples. Everyone was happy for them and cheering for them. 


She knew she should be happy now that he's happy with someone else.

She should be happy now that she can see him laughing, smiling, greeting other people cheerfully and there are no more heartbreaking tears coming from his eyes.

She should now... stop hoping for him to notice her and talk to her again.

She should now.... stop hoping that he would love her.

She should let him go.. and move on.

But... why does it hurt so much?


It breaks her heart watching someone that she loves, loves someone else. It hurts her so much to see someone that she loves, belongs to someone else and not her. It breaks her heart to know that she has to let him go eventually because he was not even hers to begin with. It breaks her heart to know that she couldn't hold on to him any longer but she couldn't let him go either. It hurts her to know that this is the best that she could do to see him happy. 


Tears began to stream down her face. She placed her hands on her chest; gripping tightly on her shirt, trying to hold back the pain.

Unrequited love... why does it have to be this painful? 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile @ the lecturer's lounge

 


KIM SOO HYUN flipped through the newspaper at the lecturer's lounge. He had about half an hour of free time before the next lecture and thought it would be nice if he spent it in the lounge. His office was quite a distance and he just feels lazy to walk to his cozy office and face loads of neverending works again. Plus, the weather was scorching hot that he feels it is much better to kill his time in the air-conditioned lounge. He browsed through the newspaper headlines by headlines; the first few pages are all boring stuffs; politics, business, North Korea conflict and welfare. But he read it anyway. 

He browsed through list of stocks and shares at the middle page of the newspaper, looking for a particular company in the Bloomberg's world stock exchange list: JaeHan Holdings. The shares increased by +0.10% compared to last month but still a mile's away to make it into the blue chip shares.

'He's doing well I presume', he thought as he flipped over the front page of the paper when something on the next page caught his eye. Usually he would stop reading the news after reaching half of the page as the remaining half was all about sports and entertainment; and he's not really into those kind of stuffs. But today as he was about to fold back the paper, he stumbled upon the main headline on the first page of entertainment section.


RUMOURS OF TOP MODEL KWON YURI DATING A LECTURER CONFIRMED TO BE TRUE!


And there was a large photo of them together outside the convention centre. There was also a long article about them including a small section which shows an exclusive interview between the reporters and Yuri, where in the interview Yuri had given a statement that gave out more details on the person she is dating. He placed his fingers on his forehead and slightly massaging it while his eyes closed. The issue he was dealing with right now has really made his life pretty messed up. Yuri came into his life and everything was fine for one whole month. Then she asked about revealing their relationship because she was feeling restless because of the continuous questions by the media. Then she insisted on revealing but he said no. Then this happened. She revealed it anyway. Not enough with that she even told the public that he was a lecturer, but luckily she didn't say from which university, although he knew very well that the paparazzi would surely hunt him down. He felt even more miserable when even after everything that has happened, he couldn't get mad at Yuri nor he could place the blame on her for doing this. What she said this morning when she called him was right. She needs to do this; people are curious, people are asking. Curiousity kills the cat until satisfaction brings it back. They wouldn't stop until they find what they have been searching for. Ignoring the press and the media would certainly tarnish her reputation as a well known public figure. How can she take that risk because of his selfishness? Just because he didn't want to be found out, just because he wanted to keep a low profile, she could lose her reputation. Just because he wanted to remain unknown and refused to get involved in the media, she could lose her job and her popularity might fade. Compared to him, at least he wouldn't lose his job unless it affects his teaching performance as well. As long as he remains ethical in his profession, he would still be fine. People wouldn't dare to interfere with his personal life if he managed to take care of it and not having it all mixed up; personal life and career. People wouldn't dare to invade his privacy so long as he continues to work diligently and ethically. Unlike him, hers is different. People are willing to invade her pricavy; searching through her life to their heart's core and her job is to entertain. People has the right to know as many things about her as possible and she didn't really have a choice to say no. That's the perils she has to take being a well-known person. He realized that it's not any of them who has changed; it's the situation that has changed. And because of that, both of them has to adjust. Yuri now is not like who she was back then. Back then, he could still date her, love her and still live a normal life. But now, everything has changed. They need to be more careful, there are many sacrifices that have to make; they are many risks they have to take in order for them to maintain a good relationship. 

He began to realize that this is probably the first step of maintaining the good relationship between the two of them. If he really loves her, this is one of the sacrifices he would have to make. Accept her just the way she is, not the way he wants her to be. If he really want this relationship to work, this is the price he has to pay. This shouldn't be a burden for him because he'll have to believe that there will be eternal happiness awaiting in the future. 

He took a deep breath and sighed heavily, trying to release or the heavy burdens and digest in all the optimistic thoughts he just had in mind earlier. Then he heard someone came in. It was Professor Lee, nagging and ranting about something. He watched him walked to a sofa in front of him.

"Oh, it's you. Did you just came in?" he said while taking the newspaper which Soo Hyun had just read earlier. 

"Well... I came in a little while ago." he replied.

"Do you have lectures afterwards?" he asked.

"Deh, Professor. I have one class left." he replied. It was Tuesday and he only had two classes which ends at noon and he'll be free for the rest of the day. He then heard a heavy sigh by Professor Lee and he smiled.

"Waegudae, Professor? You looked troubled since you came in just now." he asked, concerned with what was bothering Professor Lee.

"Nothing... it's just that I envy you. You can go home and have fun with Yuri and I'm stuck here with piles of works. Not enough with that I was assigned to be a Director for the play. Aish, out of all people, why would they choose me? I'm old, I'm going to retire soon, I have a bloated tummy and they still want to choose me. As if I'm not burdened enough with the continuous works." He nagged again. Probably that was what he was mumbling when he came in earlier. But did he just said directing a play?

"What play, Professor?" he asked curious.

"Didn't you know? It's a play for winter season. For the bloody winter season." he said in a dissatisfied tone. Soo Hyun furrowed his brow trying to recall if there was any meeting for that. He didn't think he missed any of the meeting and why did he not know about this?

"For the winter season? Why am I not informed about this?" he asked again. He was sure that he didn't missed any of the meeting for this week and for the past few weeks too.

"Ah... they just summoned a few lecturers for the meeting who was also part of the Students Affairs Division and since I happened to be one of them, I was called for the meeting and got chosen. Tch. If I had known, I wouldn't have come." he mumbled again.

Soo Hyun giggled a little watching him in that state. It was rare for him to complain about things especially when it is related to his works, but seeing him complain now, it must have really burdened him a lot.

"Why didn't you refuse then, Professor?" he asked again.

"Are you crazy? Who are you messing with? It's the DEAN. THAT SCARY DEAN! How can I refuse? You're obliged to just say yes and not refuse if you don't want her to slash you from neck to neck." he reminded as he flipped through the newspaper. "Oh, you're in the paper," he informed, pointing at the photo published in it. Soo Hyun doesn't feel like want to have the conversation about it so he quickly cut him off with another question.

"I see.... But surely they'll have Assistant Director to assist you, right?" he asked, trying to distract him from the news.

"Moragu? Assistant Director?" he furrowed his brow and looked away from the newspaper. Probably he was trying to digest the question or trying to recall the meeting. "Ah, yes! They said that in the meeting but I don't think that's gonna work. Mind you, the AD will be a student! Damn it, how can I ask a student to do my works then? If it is a fresh grad or young lecturer then probably I can order them around."

Geez, this Professor, he knows he is a senior lecturer and now he's using that as a privilege to bully the younger lecturers? He thought. 

But seeing him like that makes him feel sorry towards Professor Lee. Professor Lee is an old, senior lecturer who is about to retire soon. He was struggling to complete his works before he retire but the faculty had added him more burden. Not only that, Professor Lee is one of the lecturers who is busy like him too. Taking his status as a Professor, he was the most sought lecturer who teaches many subjects in this faculty. Apart from that, he also has to write and publish a book, mark research papers, final year projects and he also had to teach Masters students. Soo Hyun knows for a fact that unlike him, Professor Lee has other serious commitment; he has family; wife and kids that needed to be taken care of. Compared to Professor Lee, although Soo Hyun knows that he has many paperworks, assignments, tests and quizzes that need to be marked, he does not have any commitment as of now. 

Then, why don't I help Professor Lee? He thought. After all, through Professor Lee, he has learnt a lot. That old man has given him so many tips, advice and many other through his countless years of teaching experience. Maybe through this play, he could show his gratitude towards Professor Lee who has helped him a lot. By lightening his burden, maybe he could do him one last favour before he retires. Maybe he could do something for him before he retires.

"Professor, why don't you assign the task to me? Let me direct the play." he suggested. Professor Lee looked at him instantly.

"Are you serious?" he said.

"Oh." He nodded. "Let me help you this time around and be the director for the play. And I'll ask the Dean myself." he convinced again.

"Soo Hyun-ah! Gumawooooo!" He showed a huge smile and a bright happy face and opened his arms, inviting Soo Hyun into his hug but Soo Hyun showed a weird awkward smile that makes him cleared his throat and get into his original posture again. Soo Hyun giggled upon seeing him like that. He was old, but he is cute in some ways. A cute old man, he thought.

"Seriously, I really thank you. I will pay you back through my prayers," he joked and they laughed together.

 

 

A/N: Now how was it? Can you feel Young Hee? Being deeply in love with someone for 2 years and that person end up being with someone else... Tell me what you think! Critical or otherwise, it's fine with me! Thanks! <3