Chapter 1

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!

KIM SOO HYUN was standing at the podium at the left side of the lecture hall. He looked around. The lecture hall is filled with the least of a hundred students, consisting of boys and girls at the edge of ending the life of a teen and beginning the journey as an adult. The room was filled with indistinct chatters and laughters from an audience of students from the Faculty of English. Some are already packing up their stuffs, waiting for him to dismiss the class. And now, he is standing in front getting ready as well; getting ready to dismiss the class. He closed the powerpoint slide and ejected his thumbdrive from the faculty's computer before packing up his stuffs on the podium surface and stuffed it into his briefcase. He clipped his fountain pen on the chest pocket of his cream coloured Marks & Spencer's formal shirt.

 

"Please do not forget to log on to e-learn portal tonight at 9pm. I will post the online quiz there, and answer all of it before 11pm. This will contribute 10% of your assessment mark." he reminded.

 

"Any question before we dismiss, class?" he asked for one last time.

 

"No!" the audience replied. There are some students who are already standing up with their bags, waiting impatiently for the class to be dismissed. Soohyun could hear some students chattering among themselves asking him to just dismiss the class quickly so that they can go eat.

 

'Tch, what a rude fella.' He thought.

 

"Okay, if there is no question, I shall see you again for the next lecture. Thank you, class." he said, walking his way out of the lecture room.

 

With that, he had done teaching for the day. It was late Tuesday afternoon and he had no lecture for the rest of the day. It is rare to find this free time as lecturers especially in the English Faculty is limited in number, but he just had no idea how he got so lucky. However on the other side, he had to teach many subjects as compared to other lecturers who only have the most two subjects to be taught every semester. Apart from teaching Shakespeare which he had just taught earlier, he also has to teach Medieval English and Related Literatures, English 350 as well as English and Literature 1550. He had double amount of paperworks, assignments, tests and quizzes to be marked. This also means that compared to other lecturers who only get to teach one particular class once a week, he had to meet the same particular class at least twice a week.

 

'That does not seem so lucky in the end,' he thought.

 

"Sonsaengnim!" a voice of a girl called for him from behind. He turned around to see the owner of the voice who is approaching him. He looked at her student ID hanging at her chest. Lee Young Hee.

 

"Sonsaengnim,  I have a question to ask if you don't mi-"

 

"You came from there just now, right?" he asked, pointing his finger towards the lecture room which he had just walked out from earlier.

 

"Yes, sir."

 

"Have I not asked the class just now if you guys have any question to ask?"

 

"Ah, you did, but then-"

 

"I did and there was no question right, so I that's why ended the class. So why are you approaching me in the middle of the hallway asking me question?" he asked with a cold voice. He recalled the students' behaviour in the class earlier and that makes him even more mad.

 

"Oh, sorry, sir. I didn't mean to.." the girl stuttered and could not finish her sentence.

 

"You didn't mean to what?"

 

"I mean, I wanted to ask question in the class but I'm afraid the others would glare at me for making you dismiss the class late. I wanted to ask you after you dismiss the class but you walked out so quickly I had to stop you here.."

 

"That's not the problem here. First, you should ask when I give the chance to ask. But you guys didn't ask because you guys are already freaking hungryand wanted to feed your tummy as soon as possible as if I am not hungry too. Second, even if you're approaching me like this, instead of going straight to the question, don't you think you should have at least said 'sorry', or 'Sir, can i see you for a moment?' or 'when are you free, I wish to meet you to ask a few questions'.. Don't you think it should have been that way?"

 

"I..I'm very sorry sir." the girl lowered her head and her eyes became watery and red. Her voice shook.

 

She realized that tears almost fell from her eyes so she quickly wiped it away with her hands. She then bowed in respect and turned  around and walked away from him.

 

Gosh, what the hell have I done, he thought. He watched the girl as she slowly walked her way back into the lecture room. He started to feel guilty upon seeing her teary eyes. Why does he even have to feel this? he thought. That's not like him at all.

 

He feels that he's bring too harsh on the girl earlier. It wasn't supposed to be a problem at all, who would give a damn anyway if student approaches you at the hallway to ask questions? There are many students who do that and the lecturers are just fine with it.

 

"Well, I care." he said, trying to make himself feel better. It is rude to simply approach people and jump into questions without even asking if he's okay with it. Plus he's a busy lecturer and if there is any question to ask, an appointment must be set.That's his style. His principle. Why would he change his principle to be like other lecturers who are okay with students asking inappropriately just because of a girl's teary eyes? That girl should know better next time and should as well remind her other fellow friends.

 

But what's her name again? he wondered. Ah, forget it. It's better not to know.

 

He continued walking along the hallway, bowing slightly in respect to students and lecturers who greeted him. The hallway is filled with students and lecturers checking notice boards which are placed there. The hallway is surrounded by people walking at different paces; there are some who are strolling, some are rushing, some just stood in the middle of the hallway having conversation among students themselves and some even with their lecturers, probably asking questions. They are blocking the way, bothering other people who pass by.

 

'See, it really is rude to have short discussion at the hallway,' he conviced himself.

 

He stopped by the notice board to check if there is any meeting for the lecturers on that day before he finish off his duty for the day. That is when he overheard a phone conversation by a girl from a distance slowly becoming clear enough for him to eavesdrop.

 

"It's only the two of us today. Young Hee said she doesn't want to go."

 

Young Hee? The name seems familiar, he thought.

 

"Ah molla, she was crying in the lecture hall. I asked her what's wrong but she didn't say anything but asking me to leave her alone instead. We'll talk again later. I'll see you there. I'm hanging up."

 

He turned around to see the girl but could only see her back. She was heading to the cafe, he presumed.

 

But who is in the hall? He was registering some thoughts in his mind, taking into account the fact that the girl came from the direction of the lecture hall which he just had the lecture with earlier. The name Young Hee finally rings the bell.

 

Isn't she the girl who cried in front of me earlier? Is it really her? Why is she crying? Is it because of the incident earlier? The struggle of fighting his ego to not bother about the girl and his guilty feeling towards the girl were neverending. In the end, he decided to go to the lecture hall. He walked his way to the lecture hall and saw the door opened. He was still outside the room, contemplating whether to go inside or not. From where he stands, he could hear the girl sobbing, alone. He slowly peeked inside and saw her sitting at the center row. Her arms buried her face in it and sobbing endlessly.

 

Aish, this girl is such a crybaby! He screamed inside. Ottoke? Should I go in and apologize?

 

Ani, it is my principle. My principle determines my pride. Why should I let go of my pride just because of a girl? He debated with himself.

 

But seeing her crying alone is enough to make him feel guilty. This was his first time feeling guilty over something trivial like this. But thinking about it again, he was kind of harsh with her too earlier. He began to recall the conversation he had with the girl earlier.

 

"Sonsaengnim, I have a question if you don't mind-" that was what she said before he stormed her with rudeness and harsh words while trying to uphold his so-called principle of manners of approaching and asking question.

 

She was not that rude, she came to him and asking him nicely if he mind having her asking him a few questions. Rather, he was the one who is rude to simply cut her off before she could finish her sentence. What's worse was that he just realized that he did that because he was angry with the rude behaviour of some of her classmates earlier.

 

Yes, she did sound like she was barging on him when stopped him while he was on his way to the office. But the truth is that she did not. She was asking nicely only to be scolded by him at the end. This makes him feeling even more guilty. In the end, he entered the room and approach the girl.

 

"Ahem." he cleared his throat, to attract the girl's attention. There was no longer sobbing and he could see her shoulders were no longer shaking, but she did not lift her face up. He stood there for a moment and still had no reaction. He tried to break the silence.

 

"Are you going to be like this until midnight?" he asked with a cold tone. He looked at her. She slowly lift her face up. Her eyes were swollen due to crying. The girl gaped at him, probably surprised to see him there.

 

He realized that they've been looking at each other in a long silent moment and he started to feel nervous. He looked away, gazing at the ceiling and other places other than the girl's eyes but the girl was still looking at him.

 

Yah, girl, why don't you say anything? You're making me nervous! He thought.

 

He cleared his throat once again. "Well, I didn't mean to... scold you just now." he began the apologetic speech he's been memorizing in his head since earlier. "It's just that I don't like people approaching me while I'm still walking." he slowly turned his gaze at the girl who was still staring at him. There was still tears in her eyes. She looked away and began searching for something from her bag. Probably searching for a tissue. She took out a pocket tissue but all that's left is only the packet and there was no tissue left inside it. Then she roamed her hands inside the bag to search again.

 

He handed over his handkerchief to her. The girl looked at her, again. Eiish this girl, why does she always look at me? With her puppy eyes!

 

He looked away. He couldn't bring himself to look at her in the eyes.

 

He could not deny that the girl is kind of cute.

 

"S-sonsaengnim.." she began to speak with a broken voice.

 

"Take this hanky and wipe off those tears." he said calmly, without looking at her eyes.

 

 

 

 

 

LEE YOUNG HEE returned to the lecture hall with tears in her eyes. She walked her way up the the center row of the hall, back to her seat. The other students are leaving the hall and the noisy chatters began to fade slowly with more and more students leaving the hall. Finally it was only the two of them. She and her friend, Sulli. From the moment she got on to her seat, she did not say anything and just crying. She buried her face on the table and sobbing continuously. Sulli keep on insisting her to tell what had happened.

 

"Yah! Talk to me, what happened? Who made you become like this?" Sulli kept asking.

 

"Are you not leaving? Come on, Minho is waiting. Jebbal, just stop crying already can you?!"

 

Young Hee realized that Sulli is worried. She tried to calm down and lift up her face.

 

"Sulli-ah, can I not go for today? I just want to be alone."

 

"But why..?" she asked. "Are you not going to tell me?"

 

"I'll tell you later. Now is not the right time. Give me a break, oh?" Young Hee pleaded.

 

"Arasso... I'll go now. You take care, ok? Call me if you need anything." She grabbed her bag and pat Young Hee slightly on the shoulder before she left the room.

 

Now the room is empty except for her alone. She began to recall the incident that happened earlier. A brief encounter with him earlier which she hoped to be a nice memory ended up to be the worst nightmare ever. He was cold as always, but she did not expect him to scold her to that extent. It has been 2 years and he never look at her. She was in the Dean's list ever since her first year in school but she did not really stand out. She was not a geek or a bookworm or whatever you call it; she was merely a Dean's list student and unlike other Dean's students who joined in activities organized by the faculty and run for student representatives election, she did not participate in anything and that is what actually makes her unpopular among the other Dean's students. But she did hold a position in faculty clubs and societies. It's just that people don't really pay attention to those. Not being recognized by the others was not a problem for her for she finds it more comfortable living a life as a student without getting into any trouble or any life teen drama. But not being recognized by a certain someone certainly hurts her the most. That person... she has only looked at him for the past two years. No matter how cold he is, her feelings for him has never changed, never wavered at all. That person is Kim Soo Hyun, a lecturer whom he would see three times a week.

 

She admits that it was her who could not make herself known him. She was afraid, she was shy, she just did not have the courage. All that she could do was to see him from a distance. She knows when and where would he park his car every morning. She knows what time he arrives at the faculty. On Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday he always arrived at 8.00am for his first class starts at 8.30am. On Thursday and Friday he arrives at 10.00am because his first class starts on 10.30am for that day. She knows where would he go to have his lunch and with whom he would have his lunch with. She knows when is his first class everyday and what time his lecture ended for that day. She knows what kind of car he drives to the faculty. She knows pretty much everything about him and his stuffs so much that it could amount to obsession. But she is pretty sure this is not an obsession; it is more than that. It could be a huge crush, or it could be love. Having a secret crush on him for two years without even having a courage to confess? She must not be normal herself.

 

The thing is, she was not the only one who has a crush on him. They are many other students as well. He is quite popular among female students because he is among the youngest lecturer at the faculty and that he is very handsome and good looking for a lecturer. One does not simply look at him without watching him walk away till he is out of sight. Many students tried to flirt with him but to no avail. He's not playing hard to get; he is indeed HARD TO GET. He is a cold man. He won't talk to just anyone. Seeing how some of the students who had a crush on him suddenly stop liking him after confessing makes Young Hee, who is as shy as she can ever be, becomes even more scared to even approach him.

 

However, she just have no idea how did she get the courage to ask him question today. King Lear, the topic that they had a lecture earlier on seems to give her a lot of questions worthy of discussion.

 

Kent seemed to be mysterious, that's one thing. His motives are unknown; if he intends to protect King Lear and Cordelia, why would he disappear during the invasion? And why did he appear only at the end of the play without explaining the reason of his sudden disappearance? Although it was no doubt that his loyalty towards King Lear is very best known right up to the end that he even followed his death saying that his 'master' is calling for him. Has there been anyone who questions whether he really committed suicide after saying that?

 

Another thing is that there has been constant debates as to whether Lear's sufferings connotes an affirmation of Christianity or that he had portrayed the life as a pagan, having all of his sufferings considered as a total blasphemy.

 

Also, for the sake of final examination, how can I describe Cordelia's death to be heroic if Shakespeare's version of her death is that she died in suicide after being imprisoned by her nephews?

 

She somehow sees this as an opportunity for her to ask him. After all, it's not like I'm flirting with him or trying to seduce him, right? She thought.

 

So she waited for an opportunity to ask the question. When he finally did ask the question, she just could not bring herself raise her hands up. Students who were impatient were glaring at those who have a curious and confused expression on their faces. faces which have just a lot of questions, waiting to be asked. She gulped and decided to ask him after he dismissed the class.

 

'It's just a question, it does not mean anything,'  that was how she pulled herself together and took a deep breath before approaching him after the class.

 

That was then. Things in the end did not turn out to be the way she expects it to be. She got scolded with cold tone and that is enough to make her feel blue. The very first brief encounter in turn received a very cold treatment from him. Young Hee buried her face against the table and cried a river upon the recollection of the incident that happened earlier. She couldn't stop crying knowing just how sad it is to be treated by someone whom she has liked for the past two years with cold and harsh words.

 

This is even worse than what you would see in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

 

"He must've had bad impressions about me, ottokeee" she cried heavily.

 

A mixture of emotions rushed through her. Miserable, frustrated, sad, angered, humiliated but the worst thing is that she could not get mad at him for treating her that way because even in his maddest state he was still good looking and even after being treated that way, she still has hope for him to at least notice her and keep her in his mind if not heart and that's what makes her feel even more miserable. How could he still be so handsome and attract me in every possible ways? How could I still think of him even after being treated just the way Mr Darcy refused a dance by Elizabeth Bennet??

 

'I must be crazy,' she thought.

 

She heard footsteps approaching her at the center row.

 

Aish, just who dares to disturb me in this state? Just go away already, leave me alone.

 

"Ahem" She heard a man's voice clearing his throat. She stopped crying and remained still for a moment.

 

This voice is familiar. She had heard of this voice. She certainly knows of this voice. Oh. Ohh! She better not hope. She did not want to be frustrated once again but she was very certain of the voice. And the Hugo Boss perfume scent. She knows the owner of the scent.

 

She better not hope. She better not expect. She tried to pull herself together and remained still.

 

"Are you going to be like this until midnight?" the man asked.

 

Again, she was 100% sure of the voice. That manly cold-tone voice, the voice she would hear thrice a week, the voice she has been mesmerized with for the past 2 years, how could she not know? She was very certain, all that's left is to confirm whether it really was him or it is merely an illusion caused by stupid nervous connection with retina or whatever that is in the brain that causes her to be delusional.

 

She slowly looked up to study the figure in front of him. The owner of the Hugo Boss scent and the cold tone voice. It was him, it was really him!!

 

She was certain that she was not being delusional. If someone could slap her in the face right now, she’s pretty sure that she was not dreaming. This is real. His fair skin, his small face, his long neck with a very cute Adam's apple showing, his small-sized but muscular body and his hair with a slight curly bangs.

 

It really is him. He was looking at her right in the eyes. He looks cold but you could see that there is a little something from his gaze which tells that he is actually hiding a guilty feeling inside. He looked at her for quite a while before coming back to his senses. Young Hee still looked at him, surprised to see him right in front of her and having his eyes locked into hers although it was just for a while. He was captivating that it took his cold toned voice to get her back to her senses.

 

"Well, I didn't mean to... scold you just now." Soo Hyun stuttered. His voice broke the awkward silence. "It's just that I don't like people approaching me while I'm still walking." he said, his eyes looking away.

 

'I was right,' she thought, about the first impression he would have on her.

 

From his gaze she knew she had made him feel guilty because of her rudeness. If it wasn't for her he wouldn't have felt miserable that he even came in apologizing personally to her.

 

He must be hating her right now for making him to do all this stuff.

 

She should have just kept things low. She shouldn't have asked him just now. If there is any question, she should have asked Jaekyung for help. Jaekyung has always been the one who helps her asking questions to him because she did not have the guts to do so. Although it took all of her power to approach him and ask the question earlier, that power have destroyed everything for both him and her. It makes him feel miserable inside, and it was all because of her. She feels that it was all her fault. She feels that he is going to hate her for this.

 

 

Just thinking about this alone has made her want to cry again. This time I should really not cry in front of him. Or he would hate me even more. Who would like to date such a crybaby like me?

 

She quickly roamed her hands inside her handbag, searching for a tissue, but there was no tissue left.

 

Aish seriously, please don't do this to me! She searched again deep inside the bag.

 

That's when he hand over his handkerchief to her.

 

"S-sonsaengnim.." she began to speak with her broken voice. She looked at him in disbelief. Is this really happening?

 

"Take this hanky and wipe off those tears." he said with a cold tone.

 

She reached for the handkerchief and wiped her tears.

 

She just did not know what to feel. On one side it was like a Prince Charming came with a white horse to save a princess. On the other side, it makes her feel like he's gonna hate her for being such a spoiled dumb brunette, if there is such a word exist.

 

"Sonsaengnim, I'm sorry for.. everything. That happened earlier. And I'm sorry for this handkerchief. I'll wash it then return it to you." she said. This time she did not look at Soo Hyun. She looked away. Soo Hyun watched her wiping off her tears. He was still standing in front of her with one hand in the pocket of his black slacks while the other is holding a briefcase. His eyes were still looking at her.

 

Of course he dared to look at her now that she had looked away and no longer show her puppy eyes.

 

"And by the way, sonsaengnim..." she continued. "Thank you." Her eyes still looking down. She began to pack her book and file and stuffed her pencil case in her handbag.

 

 

 

 

 

KIM SOO HYUN saw her packing up her stuffs as if she was ready to get off from the room.

 

What is this... I've apologized and she's just going to leave? Is that all? He thought.

 

"Where are you going?" he asked.

 

"I'm going home.. why?"

 

"Don't you have class afterwards?"

 

"There is supposed to be a lecture with Professor Lee here in this hall at 2pm but it got cancelled. Since I have no other class left, I'm going home." she explained while standing up, getting ready to leave. But before she could get off from her seat, Soo Hyun went to a seat next to her and sat down with his arms crossed and his legs being on top of one another. Like a cold gentleman.

 

Why is he being like this? She thought. She knew she had just told him that the class is not gonna be used for the next lecture so probably that is why he wanted to use this room like many other lecturers always do. Sometimes the lecturer’s room is cozy and stuffy and it is not comfortable for the lecturers to do their works. Many of them prefer to sit in a class which is not in use to do their marking works. And she was expecting the same for Soo Hyun.

 

But how is she going to walk out of the row seats if she was blocked by him?

 

"Erm.. sonsaengnim. You're blocking my way. If you can let me go out first then-"

 

"Where do you think you're going?" He snapped in a strict cold voice, then turned to face her.

 

"I thought you're going to use this room alone, so I guess I should be going first.." she explained.

 

"And why do I want to use this room alone?"

 

"Well, I thought you want to use this room to mark paperworks and stuffs...no?" she asked, confused.

 

He giggled a little while looking away. Gosh, why do you have to be so stupid! Can’t you understand what am I trying to ask you to do? He thought.

 

He realized that the girl had been looking at her with a confused expression. He then cleared his throat before speaking again, in a serious tone. His eyes look away.

 

"Well... Since both of us don't have class now, let's hear what are the questions you wish to ask. I'm not going to give you another chance if you lose this one." he instructed.

 

She looked at him again without a blink. He turned to face her, and glared at her with his lips pouted, directing her to sit.

 

"Ah, deh..." she nodded, and went back to sit next to him.

 

Is this a dream? No this is not a dream. KIM SOO HYUN IS SITTING NEXT TO ME. KIM SOO HYUN IS TEACHING ME PERSONALLY!