Chapter 8

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!

Faculty dinner @ Convention Centre


"Are you ready?" 

KIM SOO HYUN held out his arms for Yuri in front of the grand entrance of the Convention Centre. 

"I'm ready if you are, my Lord." Yuri responded, bowed like a princess who has waited for her prince charming, as she curled her arms within his and they entered the hall together. They were now attending their first dinner together since they got back together. It was rare to find such opportunity actually considering the situation they were in. Ever since they get back together last month, they rarely spent their time together going outdoors. Usually Yuri would come over to his apartment and they had takeout meals together. They had gone to Venice once for a vacation for two nights when both he and Yuri managed to sneak out of their busy schedule and spent their quality time together somewhere out of Korea... where no one can barely notice or even know them. 

As they entererd the hall there were a few familiar faces from the Student's Affairs Division who were staring at him in disbelief and that makes him becoming even more nervous. He knew this would happen. Having people staring at them, or maybe glaring at him for walking with an international top model. He could hear the voices, whispers and chatterings asking if what they were seeing in front of his eyes were true. Yuri could sense his nervouseness and clasped their fingers together and looked at him, smiling, as if telling him not to be afraid. He wished that it was comforting enough to ease his nervousness away but he just couldn't get rid of the feelings. He tried to calm down and talk to Yuri, not wanting to make her feel guilty and uncomfortable for having him behaving like this.

"Have I told you that you look beautiful tonight?" he asked, trying to overcome the uncomfortable feeling he has right now.

"You did. Twice. And thank you for that, love. You look handsome as always." she smiled again as she leaned her head to his shoulders. They entered the hall after presenting his invitation card to the receptionist and upon being directed by the assistant to their seat. It was the most front part of the hall, and just right in front of the stage. There were 10 people per table, and he was looking at the label being put on the table, he would be sharing the table with the 1st speaker, 2nd speaker, the MC and the other lecturers including Professor Lee and his wife. Both of them stood in astonishment upon seeing him with the lady next to him. 

"Omo! Look who's here, Yeobo!" Professor Lee said. His wife was also looking at them in surprise.

"Annyeonghasaeyo, Professor." he bowed slightly.

"Isn't this Kwon Yuri? The top model?" he asked in disbelief.

"Deh, annyeonghasaeyo." Yuri bowed.

"What's with the two of you?? A-are you guys dating or something?" Professor Lee asked again, still surprised.

Soo Hyun and Yuri looked at each other and smiled. Yuri then answered the question. "Deh, Professor." 

"Wah, why didn't you tell me, Soo Hyun-ah! I could have gotten her autograph for my daughter, she really admires Yuri! Yah you really look beautiful in person!" he exclaimed and invited them to sit. 

Just like Professor Lee and his wife, a few minutes later more and more lecturers and even students gathered at their table, and even taking the seat of the 1st speaker and 2nd speaker just to take pictures of Yuri and him. Some only wanted to take selfies with Yuri and some even wanted her autograph. He started to feel uncomfortable. Luckily when the event was about to start, they went back to their seats. Soo Hyun hold her hands. "Mianhae. For making you uncomfortable with these things." he whispered. 

The lights have now been turned off and only the stage lights are opened. Yuri whispered to his ears, "I'm so used to this already. It's you who needs to get used to it." she said as she patted his shoulders, trying to calm him down, knowing that he was uneasy and uncomfortable. 

The event for that night began with the MC giving an opening speech and briefly introduced the organizers and the collborations between the faculty societies and the major sponsors for the event. She then invited the 1st speaker who represents the Student's Dean's List Club and was also the President of the Club, being holding the position for the past three years due to her unbeatable academic records in the Faculty. Soo Hyun felt this was familiar to him and began to focus on the next speaker who came from behind the stage.

"Without further ado, I would like to invite her on stage to give a welcome speech. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the representative of the main organizer of tonight's event, the President of the Student's Dean's List Club, Miss Lee Young Hee!" 

He knew it was her. He saw her walking towards the podium on stage and bowed in respect to the audience, accompanied by a big applause by the audience.

Soo Hyun looked at her without blinking. She looked totally different though he could still recognized her. She was wearing a strapless long emerald tafetta gown. Her hair was dark brown in big curls with auburn strands, some of it were rolled up and pinned half up with a few flower clips. On her bare neck there was a simple silver heart necklace which has the same heart pattern on her earrings.

 

 

She smiled at the audience before adjusting the microphone to suit her height. For a moment, he was captivated by how ravishing and dazzling she looked on that night.

"Good evening, ladies and gentlemen," she began her speech.

On behalf of the Student's Dean's List Club, Student Affairs Division and Faculty's Dean Department, I would like to welcome all of you today to our Faculty Dinner 2014. As you know, we have had such a long class in our English curriculum, and it is a pleasure to have all of you as a part of the class this year.

Her voice echoed throughout the hall as she continued speaking.


Ladies and Gentlemen:

This evening we are very pleased to be able to welcome Chairman Lee Nam Il, the Chairman of Jaeguk Group Holdings, also the biggest sponsor and shareholder of Chung Ang University. We are very fortunate to have him as our main sponsor and it has been wonderful to be one of the universities recognized by Jaeguk Group Holdings. Please give a round of applause to Jaeguk Group Holdings.


Ladies and Gentlemen, 

As what has been highlighted by the second speaker earlier, the tentative for tonight's event would be a speech by Chairman Lee. While you are enjoying your dinner, we will announce the awards for the lecturers which was nominated and voted by the students from our faculty, and at the end of the night we shall announce the Best Dressed Awards for Couples for this year's Faculty Dinner. 

Without further ado, I would like to call upon the President of Jaeguk Group Holdings to give his speech and to oficially launch tonight's event. Thank You.

 

She went down the stage and walked towards the table where Soo Hyun and Yuri were sitting. She sat on the chair labelled '1st speaker' and greeted the person sitting next to her one by one. She was in shock upon seeing Soo Hyun and Yuri sitting together. Unlike all the other lecturers and students who were surprised to see the two of them were actually dating, she was surprised to see him sitting very close to her-at the same table, and it has been a while since they were this close!

Soo Hyun and Young Hee looked at each other without blinking. Soo Hyun could not deny that he was momentarily captivated by her beauty on that night. Young Hee, on the other hand was mesmerized by his good looks and charming aura as always. He was wearing a black slim suit with a white formal shirt inside and a black bowtie.

His hairstyle was a bit different; there was no bangs like the ones he usually had but it was combed up, revealing his forehead.

 

Young Hee realized that they have been staring at each other for too long and looked away, clearing . Yuri looked at Young Hee with a sense of familiarity and tried to recall when did she ever bumped into her, but to no avail. She could not remember. 

"Have we met before?" Yuri asked Young Hee, breaking the silence. Young Hee hesitated to answer. They certainly have met before, at Soo Hyun's apartment the night he was drunk but she didn't think Soo Hyun remember it. 

"What do you mean you have met. I think this is the first time you meet her," Soo Hyun explained.

"Really? But she seems familiar though...." Yuri mumbled.

"Everyone's familiar to you," he joked. Yuri giggled and smacked him slightly on his arms. Young Hee watched the two of them and couldn't help but to feel something. 

She was jealous. And because she was jealous, it hurts her so much. Certainly, they say the hardest thing to do is watching someone you love...love someone else. She knew she wasn't supposed to feel this way. She should be happy now that he's happy. He can smile because of the woman next to him. He is now a cheerful person thanks to the woman beside him. But why did she feel like this? Why does it hurts so damn much? 

 


RICHARD CLAYDERMAN’S PIANO PIECES were playing throughout dinner, lightening the atmosphere in the hall. The air was filled with merry chatters and laughters from the audience of students and lecturers who were invited. The caterers were walking around in their black and whites, while carrying glasses of Louis Roederer champagne, each were placed on the silver trays they were holding with their palms, distributing them to the audience. 

While on the other side, the atmosphere at the table which Young Hee and Soo Hyun were sitting was rather awkward and quiet. Only sounds of silverwares clattering were mostly heard. Professor Lee chat with Soo Hyun on a boring topic relating to their works while struggling to cut off the roasted beef cheeks with cinnamon and grass sauce on his plate. Yuri was eating while helping Soo Hyun with his meat every once in a while.

“Aigoo, these two lovebirds, do you have to be all lovey dovey in front of us too?” Professor Lee cracked a joke which made the two of them blushed.

Meanwhile, Young Hee just sat alone on her seat, enjoying the meal by herself. She only focussed on eating. She was not the type who would gallow on her food in whole but she was doing that tonight. She keep on eating and did not bother everything else around her. She knew she had to do this because if she ever shift her look from the plate, and if she ever turn her gaze to the person sitting across her, she might get hurt... again. She could hear all the lovey dovey words coming from the lovebirds sitting on the opposite side of her table.

“Do you want this? I don’t want this.” Yuri asked, probably handing a piece of the sliced beef to Soo Hyun.

“Why don’t you eat that? That tastes better than other part of the beef,” he said.

“Shiro, this is fattening, don’t you know?” 

“You can take care of that later when you go to the gym. But if you still don’t want it then give it here; let me finish it all for you,”

“Thank you, Oppa,”  she giggled.

Upon hearing that, Young Hee wished that time would pass by faster at that time. She wished she could finish eating quickly and get off from the seat. She wished she would be called very soon to get ready for the next tentative, which she was to be in charge of. There’s still about fifteen minutes before the next tentative which is the awards for the lecturers, mostly voted by the students. However, why does one minute feels like a year tonight?

 

 

KIM SOO HYUN had been stealing glances on Young Hee every once in a while but she kept on doing what she did; eating, struggling with the cutleries to cut the meat, picking up sliced radish with her fork; drank her champagne, asked for more; then eat again. It was like a non-stop process. Then she placed her fork at the edge of her plate and wiped with the blue handkerchief placed on her lap. He thought she was done, but he was wrong; she continued eating! 

‘Yah, why does she eat like a pig?’ he widened his eyes. He wanted too say that to her, but had a second thought about it and came to a realization. They were not in a relationship where they can joke about things like that. Not anymore. 

“Eat slowly,” Soo Hyun began the conversation with Young Hee. 

Everyone turned to look at her upon hearing that from Soo Hyun, who was referring to her. Young Hee was startled that she started to cough, almost choked on her food. Everyone became startled as well, including Soo Hyun who immediately got up from his seat but did not move an inch. Young Hee quickly grabbed hold a glass of plain water in front of her and drink it all. Luckily there was no food coming out from . She could feel Mrs Lee slowly rubbed her back, trying to make her feel better. 

“Are you okay?” She was expecting the question to be from Mrs Lee, but it actually came from Yuri.

Young Hee looked at her and then lowered her head a little. “Yes, I’m fine.” she said.

“You kinda scare us here.” Soo Hyun said, feeling relieved. 

“Juseonghamnida. Please, don’t mind me,” she said apologetically with her head lowered as he slowly looked up and find Soo Hyun stared at her with an expression that she couldn’t really tell. Was it guilty? worried? relieved? Regardless, that was before he was distracted by Yuri giving part of the beef that she probably doesn’t want to eat to him. He then turned to face Yuri. “Gumawo,” he whispered with a smile.

Meanwhile, Young Hee was still watching him as he continued eating and scrapping the meat on his plate. 

‘Soo Hyun... are you really that worried about me?’ she thought as she looked at him. She knew she was feeling something; she really doesn’t want to feel like this but she had no idea why and how she feels like this. When she watched Soo Hyun smiling and laughing with another woman, she feels her heart aches like hell. She doesn’t want to feel this, so she tried not to look at him. She tried to look away. She tried to get her eyes off him. Because without having herself watching him looking at another woman... maybe it wouldn’t hurt so damn much.

At last, she got up from her seat, bowing to everyone at the table and left, saying that she has to get ready for the next tentative, although there were still a few minutes left before the next show and she has not even been called for yet. She just wanted to get away from everything; from him; who has made her heart ache just by thinking about him.

 

 

 


At the restroom 

 

LEE YOUNG HEE put on a light touch up on her face, and put on a rosy pink lipstick. She knew she was not supposed to be here in the ladies because the next tentative is going to start in 5 minutes, but she managed to sneak out of the backstage and quickly ran towards the nearest ladies. She had a feeling that her make up wears off a bit, hence the reason why she really wanted to go and check for herself. When she has done, she quickly rushed out of the restroom while stuffing her lipstick inside her clutch. She accidentally stepped on her long emerald gown outside the restroom.

"AHHHH!!!" She was about to fall when she felt someone held her back, catching her from falling. She closed her eyes in fear while her hands gripped tightly onto the person's arms who had caught her from falling. At that time, she realized she did not fall. Someone caught her. Someone held her back. She slowly opened her eyes and was shocked upon seeing the man who had caught her. It was Soo Hyun who caught her from falling. Surprised, she almost fell the second time. This time, Soo Hyun held onto her even more tightly and closely until their faces were few inches apart. She was still gripping on his arms tightly; their chests pressed against each other; she could feel her heart beating fast, and so was his. They were so close that she could barely separate his heartbeat from her own.

They looked at each other without blinking. She stared at his small eyes widened, unblinking, seeing through hers. His cute small nose; His fair skin; his chin; his neck, and most importantly his adam's apple moving. 

 

She remembered seeing his face this close when he was drunk that night, but seeing him now without the alcoholic smell was even more captivating. His Hugo Boss scent and his moist lips which were just a few inches apart from hers almost drive her crazy; the urge of wanting to caress his face and kiss his lips came bubbling up that she could hardly control herself. Get yourself together, Lee Young Hee! She mentally slapped herself  and as soon as she came back to her senses, she quickly pulled herself away from him.

 


KIM SOO HYUN walked towards the restroom when he saw Young Hee came out from the ladies in a hurry. He saw her stepped on her long gown and realizing that she was about to fall, he quickly grabbed hold of her waist and caught her from falling. He could feel Young Hee's hands gripped on his arms tightly and saw her slowly opened her eyes. She looked shocked upon seeing him and was about to fall down the second time. This time, he pulled her even closer that their faces were few inches apart. His eyes widened in surprise. It was his first time seeing her this close and she was ravishingly mesmerizing in her strapless emerald gown, revealing her bare neck with a perfect neckline. He studied her in a long while.

Her radiant skin.
Her big eyes.
Her rosy pink moist lips.
Her seductive scent.

A long shudder rushed through his blood upon staring at her lips. The lips looked moist, soft and sweet, as if inviting for a kiss. He gulped upon realizing there was a sensual tension building up in the air. He could see her gulping too before she looked away and got herself away from him, pulling herself away from him gently. He could see her face flushed red and he himself suddenly feels hot. 

It was too awkward and he was too nervous that he placed both of his hands in his pockets. He could see that Young Hee was nervous too. He could not bear the awkwardness any longer and cleared his throat, breaking the silence.

"Yah, who asked you to wear such a big dress? See, you almost hurt youself," he said while looking at her but she just lowered her head, not responding anything.

"A..are you okay?" he asked again. This time she looked at him. "Yes, I'm fine," was all she said before she looked down again, fixing part of the gown which might have been rumpled because of the almost-fall tragedy. 

"I'm sorry... and thank you for saving me," she added. She looked up and smiled at him. Upon looking at her smiling, Soo Hyun suddenly felt his heart fluttering; what was this feeling exactly and why was he feeling it? It was as if his heart were at ease; but the whole situation was still awkward regardless. He smiled a little before speaking again. 

"Anyway, you look... stunning tonight." he said, his eyes looked away. From the side of his gaze he could see Young Hee's cheek turned red upon hearing the compliment and lowered her head.

"Thank you.." she said softly.

"What is it...? the perfume that you put on?" he asked again. Young Hee looked at him, confused. He then looked away, wrinkled his head and gritted his teeth. Aish, what a dumb question! He thought as he mentally smacked his head for being stupid and asking a stupid question.

 


LEE YOUNG HEE looked at Soo Hyun with a puzzled expression on her face. 'Why is he asking me that all of a sudden?'

"It's Victoria's Secret... why?" she asked.

"Ani.. well.. erm.." he stuttered, trying to search for an answer which would not make him look dumb but before he gets to explain, Young Hee suddenly remembered about the next tentative and jumped in shock upon realizing that she was already late. 

"Oh my God! I need to go now. See you around, sir!" She bowed and brushed off while lifting her long gown up a bit so as not to let her step on her own gown.

 

 

 

KIM SOO HYUN watched her walked away, struggling to rush in her long gown till she is out of sight. The question that he asked her earlier suddenly popped into his mind. He then smacked his own head. 

"Dummy you, why did you ask such a stupid question?!" he spoke to himself and recalling the situation earlier, picturing every moment in a slow motion. He was holding her, grabbing tight of her waist so as not to let her fall. They were so close to each other and that alone had made his heart beat faster.  He was lucky that she got up real fast earlier. If they had stayed that way a bit longer, he had no idea what he would've been doing to her. He placed his palm towards his chest, feeling his heartbeat.

"Why is my heart beating fast?" he wondered, and quickly shook away all of the possible thoughts capable of entering his mind, denying every possibility.

"Ani, it's just a normal human reaction. Who wouldn't be attracted to see such a beauty?" he tried to make himself feel better and left to the hall.

 

 

A/N: Hello everyone! I'm sorry for making this chapter boring when it's supposed to be beautiful and wonderful. I've been busy preparing for the next semester and kinda lost my inspiration huhu~ but nevertheless I've uploaded the pictures just to help you guys picture how they really look during the faculty dinner. Hope u enjoy it! Comments are highly appreciated! ^_^

Loves - Bella <3