Chapter 11

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!

 


TWO WEEKS HAVE PASSED AND THINGS ARE GOING PRETTY WELL for both Soo Hyun and Young Hee. After the first meeting, things have been better between the two although it was a bit awkward in the first place. They had just started with the first stage in organizing the play. An audition had already been held to search for new talents suitable for the play. The play would be based on the novel written by the famous writer Jane Austen entitled ‘Pride and Prejudice'. Surprisingly it was actually the first time that the faculty has decided to make a play based on stories from classical literature. From the past years, most of the plays were mostly a re-play of Shakespeare’s plays. They have done Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and even King Lear. Some suggested to have Hamlet as the play for this upcoming season. However, it was rejected probably because the Dean feels like they ought to try something new and is more attractive on the students who have more passion towards classic literature. 

KIM SOO HYUN chaired the second meeting for the play today. And on his right side there is Lee Young Hee as the Assistant Director for the play; followed by the rest of the crew, filling the seats in the meeting room. They were now discussing on selection for the roles in the play. This could probably take one whole day as they have to revise and replay the videos of the participants during the audition. Lee Young Hee handed over the list of the participants who auditioned last Friday to him. 

“So, who do you think suits the role of Mr. Darcy here?” Kim Soo Hyun asked for the opinions from the members of the floor as he browsed through the namelist. Chatters began to fill up the air as the crews were discussing among themselves as to who is the best one to act as Mr. Darcy, the hero of the story. 

“From my opinion, I think Lee Donghae stood out a lot during the audition. He acts well.” one of the crew suggested. Soo Hyun skimmed through the namelist which Young Hee had given to him earlier, probably searching for the name. He then browsed through his laptop screen to click on the participant’s code, which then showed the video of the particular candidate during the audition. At the end of the room there was a white LCD screen which displays the video as well, reflected by a projector.

“He’s not bad,” he opined. “Any other suggestion?” he asked.

“Kim Soo Hyun-sshi, what about Jang Keun Suk? I think he acted well too on that day,” another crew suggested. 

“Jinja? let’s see.... Jang Keun Suk...” he muttered as he searched for his video on the laptop. Upon watching the video, he furrowed his brow. 

“Why does he seem so familiar to me?” he mumbled, referring to no one in particular.

“Because he came to the audition that day?” Young Hee replied, upon hearing the question. 

“Did he?” he asked again. "Well, duh." he said again, realizing what a stupid question that was. Of course he auditioned that day or else he wouldn't be in this video. He raised his eyebrows trying to remember him. He watched the video but none of his act rings the bell. Only his face that seemed familiar to him.

“Do you still cannot remember?” 

“No..” he shook his head, trying to recall the day of the audition. “I don’t think I’ve seen him auditioning that day.” He added.

“Ah, I think it’s because you went to the toilet that day. Everyone was in awe when he left and that’s when you came in and asked us, ‘what did I miss?’ Don’t you remember?” Young Hee explained, trying to help him remember.

“Ahhh... that one.” he said, but it seemed that it still left him in question as to why does he seem so familiar.

“If I didn’t see him around then how come he looks familiar?” he asked again, his eyes still watching his video. He could not deny that the guy is talented. When he cried, he really cried and it does not have the forceful look on his expression when he cried. I just came out naturally. Not to mention, his English was pretty good too, the pronounciations are just nice.

“He’s the reddish brown haired guy that you thought my boyfriend long time ago.” she helped him recalling the encounter in front of his office, the encounter which was on the same day he yelled heartbreaking words at her and asked her to disappear from his life. That hurtful incident which she had wished to forget but could not seem to. However, she can now smile upon reminiscing that incident because without it, they wouldn’t have become this close to each other. 

“Ahh that guy!” he finally remembered. “But, why do you say ‘I thought he was your boyfriend?’ He really is your boyfriend, isn’t he?” he asked.

“NO he isn’t. He that jerk bastard guy at times and a friend at times... but not my boyfriend.” she said calmly. 

“I thought you guys were dating?” he asked again.

“You were the one who misunderstood. I’ve been trying to explain to you but well, you know what happened then,” she explained, trying not to bring up that matter in the past. Soo Hyun looked at her and there were silence for a moment. Young Hee continued watching Keun Suk’s video on the screen. 

Deep inside him, he still could not forgive himself for hurting her badly. She reached for him like a friend in need but he pushed her away, harsh and rude. And what is more heartbreaking than to see a friend being pushed away by his or her own friend like he did to her? He realized how much he had hurted her on that day. 

I’m sorry, Young Hee. For uttering bad words that hurts you the most. 


“So, what do you think, Kamdongnim?” the crew asked.

“Chakkamman,” he said as he turned to Young Hee.

“Are you okay with it?” he whispered.

“With what?” she asked.

“If I choose him as the lead, would you be uncomfortable? It might be hard for you to work together if you don’t get along with each other.” he suggested.

“Animnida, Kamdongnim,” she paused, now referring him as Kandongnim instead of Sonsaengnim. “He may be a jerk but he’s still a friend to me, at times.” she assured.

“Really?” he asked. He was somehow a bit embarassed because his first impression on Jang Keun Suk which he had revealed to her earlier did not turn out to be what he really is. Now it feels like he’s the bad guy now. 

“Okay then, we’re going to have him playing as Mr. Darcy.” he said coolly.

 


And so the meeting continues until late evening. Everyone in the theatre hall were busy packing up their stuffs; ready to go home. Soo Hyun stretched his arms wide out, feeling tired of sitting the whole day.

"Ah, my back hurts. My head feels dizzy. My eyes can hardly see anything," he ranted. Young Hee who had been watching him since just now, giggled a little.

"That's because you've been sitting all day. Your eyes have been looking at the laptop and the list names alternately, that's why it feels dizzy. Take a long good look at green grass later, it helps in making your eyes feel better." she calmly said.

"Cheongmalyo? Does it really work?" he asked, referring to the rare method of healing dizziness coming from the eyes suggested by Young Hee.

"Of course. Taking paracetamol all the time isn't good. So try other methods while you can." she said.

"Arasso, doctor," he joked and heard her giggle. "Are you hungry? Care to join me for dinner? I'll send you home after that,"  he asked. 

Young Hee looked at him with a smile that remains from the earlier laughter. She was reluctant to be honest. Truthfully she just doesn't know what to feel. Lately her life has been so happy that she and Soo Hyun had become closer ever since the first meeting. They had been together in the subsequent meetings and talked, joked, laughed together just about everything. She didn't want this to end; the happiness she's feeling everytime they were together, although it was only for works. But deep inside her heart, she was afraid. He came to her just the moment she wanted to let him go. He came into her life just the moment she wanted to forget everything about him and moved on. In fact, she had been trying to get rid of her feelings and control it while working on the play; but for each day she spends time with him, she couldn't be any happier. Her heart flutters everytime he talks with her, cares about her, asks about her health, jokes around with her and laughs together with her. She couldn't let go of her feelings; when they were this close to each other. So close that now he even offered her a ride home for the second time already. The last time he offered was during the audition day but she refused; saying that it's still early and she could still go home on her own, added by another excuse which was that Sulli has been waiting for her... when in fact she was alone. She just refused because she knew she shouldn't do that. Otherwise, she could get hurt again. That is how she controls herself now, because she was afraid. She was afraid of her own feelings. She was afraid that if she loves too much, she will get hurt once again. If she couldn't control her own feelings, she will be the one who will get hurt in the end. She was just afraid that if she loves too much, she will be the one in pain because at the end of the day, she'll be losing him eventually, and that's even more hurt; ani, that hurts her the most. That's what fears her the most. She was afraid; afraid of loving too much; afraid of losing someone that she loves in the end. 


"It's okay, Kamdongnim. I can go home on my own..." she said.

"Are you refusing me again? Come on, it's getting dark out there and I can't let you go home on your own."

"Ani, it's really okay, I'll be fine-"

"Lee Young Hee," he snapped with a serious tone which shocked her for a second.

"Please? It's my responsibility to take care of you. I can't risk anything happen to you when I'm the one who has caused you to go back this late." he pleaded. 

Young Hee sighed, her eyes still looking at him. She was still reluctant, but he was right. If anything happens to her, he won't forgive himself easily. After all, it's already dark out there and it's getting cold. She was afraid of the dark herself. And the dogs in the alley. 


"Okay, I'll go with you." she smiled.

"Thank you, Young Hee." he smiled as he invited her to walk out of the meeting room first. 

 

 

 

 


IT HAS BEEN ONE MOMENT, ONE MISTAKE, AND HE PROMISED THAT IT WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN. That is what Kim Soo Hyun kept thinking everytime he watch Young Hee. They were now having their dinner at an Italian restaurant, the J'S Kitchen in Yeoksamdong. Soo Hyun who  had already finished eating his Fettucine Carbonara is watching Young Hee who was still eating hers; struggling to curl the fettucines over her fork. As he watch her, he was pulled in deep thoughts; he knew certainly that he had never feel anything like this before; feeling what he has been feeling lately. Everytime he sees her, he was surrounded by guilt. He couldn't deny that she was different from anyone else; he had never treated any student the way he treated Young Hee. He treated Young Hee as a friend; that is why he couldn't help feeling guilty towards Young Hee for the incident in the past. Young Hee was the one who cared enough to reach for him back when he was alone, scared and confused; she was trying to make him feel better but all she get was a harsh scolding. She was trying to console him but he refused such a treatment from her. And that's what he had been regretting up until now. Even though their relationship has become better and he feels that they have been closer to each other, he still has that guilty feeling. The closer they get together, the more guilty he feels. 

Was it even a guilty feeling? He started to question himself. 

It was more like he was scared; he was scared of hurting her again. He had hurt her in the past and had been regretting since then. Each time they were avoiding each other, not talking to each other and ran away from each other everytime they bumped into each other during the last month has made him realize that he doesn't like it when they become like that towards each other; and he feels bad for making her be that way. He feels like he's the bad person who has made someone who tried to be a friend go away from his life. Her existence reminds him of how bad of a person he was. Therefore, he was scared each time they spend their time together like this. He knew certainly that the fact that they have become closer and closer each day could not make up for the fact that he used to push her away and threw out harsh words at her when all she did was to be a friend reaching for a friend. And he knew certainly that the fact that they have become closer now had made him afraid; afraid that he would make the same mistake again and with that, he always promised that it won't happen again. All the things that he had been doing now; bringing her to lunch and dinner, joke around with her, trying to make her feel better would never be enough to rectify his mistake for pushing her away; but he hoped that he can do something for her as a friend; and be there for her and never hurt her again. 

"Sorry, I take too long to finish this," she said. Her face blushed, probably realizing that Soo Hyun had been watching her eating and that she was eating very slow.

"It's okay, take your time. Eat slowly," he said, still watching her. "I didn't know that fettucine carbonara is your favourite food too," he speaks again.

"It is my favourite. I don't know why but somehow it feels funny that we both like the same food," she said again.

"I know right." he giggled a little as he drank a bit of his orange juice before he heard a phone ringing. Young Hee stopped eating and answered the call.

 

"Deh, Aboji." she said through the phone.

"I don't have time for that, Aboji. Just send my regards to her." 

"We'll see about that." she said as she hung up the phone. Soo Hyun who had been listening all this while began to ask her a question.

"Did you just speak to your father using honorifics?" he asked.

"Yes...why?" she asked. 

"Are you..not close with your father?" he asked again, curious.

"We used to, but not anymore. It has been like that for so long already." she explained. She suddenly had the sad expression on her face that explains everything that happens in her family. Soo Hyun was curious, but looking at her in that state, he knew he should stop asking. But as if she knew she should not leave it hanging, she continued explaining it right up to the end.

"It's my stepmother. She was admitted to the hospital, and I told my father I cannot go and visit her." she said.

"Why? I can send you there after this if you want," he offered. She looked at him and smile.

"Ani, it's okay. It's not that I cannot go. It's just that I DON'T wanna go." she paused as she looked through the glass window next to her before speaking again.

"When I was little my mum passed away, and not long after that my father remarried to my stepmom. She was nice to me but she treated others in the house badly. There was this person who had looked after me since I was a baby and I called her Ahjumma. Ahjumma was already like a mom to me ever since Omma died. She had made Ahjumma ran away from our home because she couldn't stand being tortured by my stepmom. I hated her so much, and I hated my father too because he didn't do anything to stop her. Everything that she does is always right from his view. Eevrything else is wrong. More than that, I hate him because he didn't do anything for my mom to save her from dying. He did not protect my mom to her last breath." Tears started to form in her eyes and rolled down her cheek. Soo Hyun watched her as she was crying silently and slowly. Deep inside, he was in pain. It breaks his heart to see her sad. But more than that, he couldn't do anything to ease her pain. The pain that she had gone through for all these years that she spent growing up. Growing up without a mom.. it must have been hard for her.

"I'm sorry." was all that he could say, knowing that it could not make her feel any better.

"It's okay," she turned to face him with the remaining tears streamed completely down her face. "I'm so used to this already that I'm okay to share this with you. Back then it was kind of hard," she said.

"If only there's anything I can do to ease your pain..." he said softly.

 

 

 

LEE YOUNG HEE lift her face up to look at Soo Hyun. He had a guilty expression on his face when she just showed a sad expression in front of him when he asked about her relationship with her father. She was actually not the type who would share these stories to anyone but somehow she feels comfortable sharing it with Soo Hyun. She was driven to tell him everything about her family; how and why she and her father end up speaking using honorofics; what happened in between, what had caused her to behave that way towards her stepmother; she just feels comfortable sharing it with Soo Hyun and she had no idea why herself. But as she carried on with her story, she could barely control herself. Recalling all those painful memories about her mom passed away makes her feel sad that tears started to form in her eyes. She could see that Soo Hyun was looking at her and probably felt guilty for that so she quickly wiped off her tears and tried to hold back the tears from coming up, hoping to convince Soo Hyun that she was fine. 

"If only there's anything I can do to ease your pain.." he said softly. It was a short sentence spoken with a soft voice but it was enough to make her feel better. She was touched just by those words coming from him. He really cared for her and he was reaching for her; trying to make her feel better but feels bad because apparently there's nothing that he could do to make her feel better. 

"It was painful at first. But as time passes by I eventually get over it and managed to overcome it." she calmly said, trying not to make himself feel guilty for having to listen all of this from her. She watched him, still looking down with the guilty look on his face. 

Why do you care so much? You were hurt, too... once... and I wasn't even there to help you.


She feels sad looking at him feeling sad, and she feels bad inside for having him listened to her all the way and made him feel guilty in the end. There was silence between both of them before she decided to break the silence.

"Sonsaengnim, if you feel sad, down or blue, what did you do to overcome it?" she asked.

"Me?" he asked, looking away as if thinking for an answer. "Well...I just cried myself to sleep." he said. He then had another expression on his face; it was like a sad expression, but this one is different; it was as if he was sad.. and hurt. She wanted to ask, but before she even proceed to ask, he continued speaking, as if knowing the curiosity she was having in her mind.

"Young Hee-ah," he paused. "Just like you, my father passed away when I was little too. He passed away the day I received my Best Student Award in school. After the ceremony ended, I straightaway rushed my way to the prison to show him the awards prizes I received from the ceremony... little did I know that the graduation ceremony was followed by my Dad's funeral that evening." 

He looked sad, but trying to hold back his tears. Young Hee watched him until he pulled himself together and looked up, looking at her staring at him with a sympathy expression. It was the same expression which Soo Hyun had when Young Hee talked about her family earlier. Sympathy... and sad.

"Have you finished eating already? Come, let's send you home," he said and got up from his seat, as if trying not to remember all those painful memories again. 

On our way home, there was only silence that filled the air in the car. There was no radio being switched on. Young Hee looked on the road. Soo Hyun too, was focussing hie eyes on the road. But from her side, she could see that Soo Hyun was pulled in deep thoughts.  She wanted to ask a question earlier but looking at him in that state since earlier, she knew it was not a good time to ask. More than anything, looking at him in that state makes her feel bad. She feels that she was a useless person who couldn't do anything to make him feel better. She then remembered something and quickly faced Soo Hyun who was still focussed on driving.

"Sonsaengnim, let's go somewhere first. I need to show something," she said.

"Go where?" he asked as he turned to face Young Hee, who was smiling at him. 

 

 

 


IT WAS A VAST OPEN FIELD FILLED WITH HIGH GRASS EVERYWHERE ON THE FIELD. There was also some floral weeds or flower growing in between the grasses. There wasn't any nice view to look at as Soo Hyun and Young Hee got out from his car. He looked around.

"What place is this?" he asked, curious as his eyes roamed around. All he could see is just a field and a grass.

"Follow me, let me show you something," she said as she walked forward, followed by Soo Hyun from the back. She lied down on the grass and looked at Soo Hyun who was still standing.

"Lie down here. Come," she invited, as she patted the grassy ground for him to lie down. Soo Hyun was curious, but did as she said so. He reached up his hands and pillowed his head upon them. 

"Look at the sky..... There are so many stars, right?" she speaks with a soft gentle and calm voice.

For a  moment, he was captivated by the night view in the sky. It was such a starry night and there were so many stars, shining at different brightness. 

"If you look at one area constantly, you can actually see them moving," she said again. He tried so and it works.

"You're right. It really looks like it's moving," he said, amazed by what he observed. "It's beautiful." He said.

"Indeed it is.. The beauty of nature," she said. There were silence for a moment as both of them enjoyed their night view looking up in the starry sky, amazed by their brightness in the dark.

"Do you want to know why I'm showing to you this?" she asked.

"Why?" he asked. 

"I have a set of replicas of stars in my room. I pasted them on the ceiling in my room. Those stars would glow in the dark, like the one you see up there," she explained. "When I was little, after Omma passed away, I cried myself to sleep every night because there was no one who would read a story for me and even sing a lullaby for me. No one can replace Omma to do that for me. Not Ahjumma even.... Then Ajhumma bought the stars for me, and pasted them in my room. As I stared at them in the darkness, and watch them glow, I felt happy. It was as if all my sadness and sorrowness would go away. The pain would ease away.... I kept on watching them at night and it helps me doze off. It works like magic. At first I didn't know why and how it works, up until now... But now I can make some sense into it." she paused.

"And what is that?" Soo Hyun asked.

"As I grow up and watching those stars everytime I feel down, it actually gives me hope. It makes me believe than even in darkness, you can still see the light. Even in your worst state, you can still have hope. Hope and faith that things will be better soon. Believe that with every hardship that I go through, there'll be happiness that awaits in the future. That's how I would think now everytime I looked at the stars." she said.


Soo Hyun turned his face to look at her, looking up in the sky with a smile. For the first time in his life, he had heard such comforting words that really soothes his pain away. For the first time, he was comforted. For the first time, someone had made him to believe; to start believing again. For the first time in his life, someone had made him think of the meaning of his life once again. He used to feel hopeless, useless, sad and down especially after his father passed away. His mother had worked very hard every day and night to provide them for a living. When his father went to prison, he became the subject of ridicule in his school and everyone made fun of his family. He could not stand it; but he couldn't ask for a transfer even because of the state his family was in. He did not want to burden his mother with his problem anymore so he endured it. When his father died in prison, no one cares about it; no one cares about his family, his father and himself. 


"When my father died in prison, no one actually bothers about it. The police did not want to have a memorial or funeral service and I remembered Omma had to look everywhere for any funeral services available at that time; but no one was willing to accept us because we didn't have money. That's what I remembered back then. When I grew up, I actually learnt something from my father's death." he paused as he got up and hugged his knees to his chest which was followed by Young Hee before he began to speak again.

"Once you're labelled as a bad person in the society, you'll be isolated forever and no one gives a damn about you. I learnt that the hard way... When my father died, the police should be responsible in handling funeral services because he died while he was still a prisoner. But they didn't. Probably because like I said, no one actually cares about you once you became a bad person." he said. He could see from his side that Young Hee turned around to face him and was looking at him. He smiled.


"But it's okay now. I'm already used to it so I don't really care anymore. It's all in the past."  he concluded as he turned to face her. Their eyes locked into each other's and stayed like that for a few moment. 


Soo Hyun, are you really okay? 


Young Hee thought as she looked into Soo Hyun's eyes. She had lots of questions to ask about his family, but she knew it wasn't a good idea. He had revealed everything just enough with what he wanted to share to her. It was nothing more than that and she couldn't ask for more because he may not be ready to tell her about that. Why was his father in prison? What happened to his family before? How was their life before his father was imprisoned? How did they live their lives after that and how did he handle his life that he would be able to overcome everything and become as strong as he is now?

But she couldn't make him feel even sadder by giving him another heartbreak upon the recollection of the past memories. She could feel him right now; they had a lots of things in common apart from their favourite literature and their favourite food. Both of them had bitter memories of their childhood which they would not want to share it with just anyone. 

However, she feels that he had gone through a lot more than her. Having his father imprisoned and died when he was little, suffering such a very hard life after his death must have been really hard for him to go through. He tried to be strong on the outside, but he was timid deep inside. He was in pain... for a very long time before he found his happiness again not long ago. She began to understand him. What really makes him strong now is because he had gone through a lot. 

"Sonsaengnim," she said; as she reached out her hands to touch his, holding them for a few seconds as if giving him enough warmth; helping that it will help to comfort him... and then looked up to face him.

"I'm sorry... about your father. You lost him too." she paused. She looked at him and saw his eyes began to be filled with tears. And at that moment, she realized tears started to stream down her face too. 

 

A/N: Annyeong yeorobun!~~ So how was it? It's nice to see the friendly Soo Hyun is back, isn't it? I'm sorry for taking so much time to write this and that it didn't turn out really well. I really hope you'll enjoy it & continue to support this fanfic. Tell me what you think! Critical or otherwise, it's fine! Thanks so much! <3 Bella