Chapter 14

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!

The next day @ the theatre hall

 

AFTER THE SIXTH TAKE, finally Lee Jong Hyun managed to complete the 7th scene successfully. He played Mr. Bingley in this play. The scene was a waltz scene at a ballroom where Mr Bingley had to dance joyfully and gracefully with Eunjung, who played Jane Bennet in the play. It was kind of difficult for him, having no skills at dancing and had to learn from Lee Donghae, who played Darcy’s cousin, Fitzgerald who also happened to be the President of the Dance Club of the faculty. This has caused the scene to be re-done a few times before Soo Hyun was satisfied with the take. As an Assistant Director, Young Hee could only agree with Soo Hyun and did not really have a choice. 

“Okay, yeorobun, get ready for the next scene. Especially Jang Keun Suk and Sulli,” Soo Hyun instructed, asking the two main casts who played Mr Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet respectively to prepare for the next scene. He walked to the corner of the stage where the rest of the crews are sitting. Young Hee was heading towards Sulli who was having a makeover session for the next scene. She was dressed in old English gown which looked rather shabby due to her character as someone from a commoner background.

“Are you okay?” Young Hee asked.

“Yes, I am. It’s just that I was a bit nervous.” she replied.

“Wae? I thought you’ve had several takes already, you should’ve been fine already,” 

“I know, but the next scene is the waist grabbing scene and I don’t think I can look at Keun Suk right in the eyes!” she said, only to hear Young Hee burst into laughter. 

“Yah, you’ll have to look at him like that for the rest of the play! After all, you are the heroine and he is the hero!” she consoled. Sulli could only sigh.

“What is the next scene all about?” Minho said as he walked towards them.

“Choi Minho, why are you here? It’s not like you participated in this play,” Sulli asked.

“I did come for audition that day okay, it’s just that I did not get chosen. Blame your friend for this.” he said, pouted his mouth to Young Hee.

“Why me? I did not get to choose okay! Who asked you to act improperly then,” Young Hee argued back.

“Ah, whatever,” he said as he took the script at the small table next to Sulli and flipped through it.

“Sulli, isn’t this the waist grabbing scene where you have to take a long romantic stare at Keun Suk?” he showed the page to Sulli with his eyes widened in surprise.

“Yes, why?” she asked.

“Ani....” he mumbled and silenced for a while. “Yah, you don’t have to really really really look him in the eyes you know. Young Hee-ah, can’t they use a stand-in for this?” he asked.

“What the hell are you saying? This is not even a kiss scene, why would you need a stand in? Chill, man. This is just a play afterall.” Sulli instantly responded. 

“I thought you said you hated him so much so that you can’t even face him in the eyes,” he said.

“This is inevitable, you see. It’s not that I want this role, they chose me to be the heroine, what else can I say? And why do you care anyway? You’re such a busybody.” she said.

“I am just saying and reminding you of what you said the other day. But then again, who asked you to participate in the first place? The way I see it, it seems like you look forward to it.”

“I didn’t even know Jang Keun Suk was in this play too, stupid!” she started to yell.

“Who are you calling stupid?!” Minho yelled back and scoffed. “Hah, I bet you hating him will not last that long. You’ll eventually like that jerk.” he said.

“Fine, I’ll look at him in the eyes and fall in love with him, and kiss him and date him. Why does these matter to you?” she asked again before they stared each other for so long. Minho then shrugged. “I’m just predicting your future, out of concern as a friend, that’s all.” he said and walked away. 

“Tch. What’s his problem, seriously,” she mumbled as she watched him walked out of the hall.

Watching the two of them earlier, she could sense something in Minho which Sulli could not see. She could see that Minho had been liking her but never say it out to her, nor showing it to her. 

Sulli-ah, why are you so stupid that you can’t even see it?

“Sulli-ah, there is a reason why he’s being like that.” she broke the intense silence as she headed her way to the stairs, leaving Sulli puzzled. 

Young Hee took out her mineral water bottle and drank it when she began to hear loud fanatic screams and voices as the rest of the crews and the other students in the theatre gathered in front of the theatre door. She cranked her neck up to see the lady who came in. She knew it instantly. The lady walked towards Soo Hyun, bowing to the fans who were surrounding her.

“Oppa, I came here to see you,” she said as she gave him a peck on his cheek, followed by maniacal cheering by the throng of students there. Soo Hyun looked rather surprised to see her there. 

“But you don’t have too....” he said as he received another peck on his cheek, gaining another cheerings. 

“Oppa, can’t I visit my own boyfriend? You’ve been so busy lately and I missed you so much,” she said as she wrapped her arms around his neck but he grabbed hold of her arms before she could do that and whispered something to her as he smiled, causing her to back away and smiled as well. 

Watching this has broken her heart. It’s been a while since she felt this way. Looking at the two of them together has made her realized something and upon realizing it, she could feel tears started to stream down her face. Everyone was gathering them except for her. She was the only one who stood at the most corner of the theatre, watching them from quite a distance with a broken heart. Watching them smiling and laughing has caused her heart to break into thousand pieces that she could barely hold it in. It was painful to watch that but she had no idea why she couldn’t stop watching them. Her eyes won’t just look away, her body stiffened as it is. Part of her tells her that she should watch this right up to the end no matter how hurtful it’s gonna be, so that she will come back to her senses and learnt a lesson. She had indeed learnt a lesson; she should have known that someone who could love too much could also hurt too much. In fact, she knew this all along but why did she risk herself to go through the pain? She had no idea herself. Love... isn’t something that anyone can control. It’s the heart that speaks. But when you got it wrong, this fragile heart could break into pieces like she did now and remained unfixed and unmended. 

But it was just too painful to continue watching. Standing at the corner, hurt and alone, she knew she could burst into tears at anytime. She turned around and walked away when she heard someone calling for her name. 

“Young Hee-ah, where are you going?” she turned around to look for the owner of the voice. It was Keun Suk who had just come out from the backstage. As he was shouting, everyone turned to look at her,including Soo Hyun. Their eyes locked for a while before she quickly looked away and waited for Keun Suk to come down towards her. 

“I’m going to the ladies.”

“Are you okay? You colour doesn’t look good. Are you feeling sick anywhere?” he asked again but this time she ignored him and walked out of the theatre room to go to the washroom.  

Lee Young Hee, you are indeed stupid. You said you’ll get over him but you love him even more. You said you’ll stop caring but you actually cared for him. You said you’ll give him up and move on but you really did not.  You said you’re not expecting for more but you actually did. You said you had stopped hoping but you are actually hoping. When he cared for you, you think it was love. You hoped that it is love. You expect for it to be out of love. When he give you presents, you expect for it to be because of love. Deny it as much as you want, but it is the truth. Young Hee, had you not cared too much, hoped too much, expected too much, you wouldn’t hurt this much. 

She covered as she sobbed heavily in the small cubicle thinking just how stupid of a person she was. She should have ignored what she felt deep in her heart. She should have let him go. She should have ran away from him; because if she stays, she’s the one who gets hurt in the end. If she let him go, it won’t hurt so bad. Had she ignored her own feelings, she could have let him go and moved on. She was such a fool to believe that there was really he and her. Soo Hyun and Young Hee. She was such a fool for even hoping for that to happen. Seeing him love another woman so much breaks her heart. She felt like she was drowning; drowning in her own love. She felt suffocated by her own foolishness. Every memories spent with him went down the drain within a snap of a finger and now all she feels is a heavy pain stabbing her heart.

She got out of the cubicle when she heard heels clicking to a cubicle next to hers and realized she had been in the toilet for too long. She washed her hands and her face of the sink and wiped them with a tissue. Her eyes were swollen due to crying and she looks like a zombie. 

‘Ah, whatever,’ she thought as she walked out of the toilet only to find herself shocked by a presence of a man in front of the toilet.

“Oh, you scared me,” she jumped in shock upon finding Soo Hyun standing in front of her with his arms crossed and his eyes looked into hers.

“Are you sick? Were you crying?” he asked.

She sniffled a little and said “No, I’m fine.” with her eyes looking down, trying to get a grip of herself because she knew she could cry at any moment. She then heard footsteps approaching them. 

“Young Hee-ah, are you okay?” It was Keun Suk, trying to make sure if she’s okay.

“I’m okay.” she said calmly. But she feels a bit dizzy, probably due to crying. She massaged the back of her head. 

“Yah, you don’t look okay. Come, let’s send you home.” Keun Suk offered as she gently hold her shoulders and walked beside her. When they were about to walk away, she felt her arms were held gently by a firm familiar hand. 

“Are you not gonna continue with the practice?” he asked curiously. 

“Are you stupid? Can’t you see that she’s in pain now? And you can ask her to go in to practice?” Keun Suk snapped.

“Shut up. I’m talking to Young Hee,” he snapped back as he turned to look at Young Hee, waiting for her to speak up. 

“Sonsaengnim, I’m sorry, I don’t think I can handle the practice today. I’m really sorry,” she said with a broken voice and walked away with Keun Suk. 

“You wait at the foyer, I’ll get my car there, okay?” Keun Suk said and she nodded.

 

 

 

Kim Soo Hyun stood in front of the toilet like an idiot as he watched the two walked away. Earlier in the theatre hall, he was too surprised when Yuri visited him out of the blue. He was happy at the thought that Yuri visited him because she misses him, but he was a bit uncomfortable because of the attention he got from his students. It’s just that uncomfortable. He was gathered and surrounded by the fans who screamed on top of their lungs although Yuri was just a few inches away from them and that was super annoying. When he heard Keun Suk calling for Young Hee, he turned to look at her and noticed that her eyes were teary and he started to feel his heart shrink. Why does it always feel that way everytime he see her teary eyes? 

But Young Hee quickly looked away, as if not wanting him to notice, which was way too late already as he had seen it. The tears. He knew that she looked away because she didn’t want to make him feel bad; because she knows him too well to know that he was a person who could easily feel bad. But why was she crying?

He saw her walking past Keun Suk and got out of the theatre room. Keun Suk just stood there with a face full of question. He decided to go find out. 

“Excuse me,” he said, walking his way out of the crowd.

“Oppa, where are you going?” she asked.

“I need to go check on her, to see if she’s alright.” he said as he stormed off the hall before Yuri could say anything. He waited for her to come out from the toilet and when she finally did, he was rather surprised to see her swollen eyes. He wanted to ask her what went wrong but something just forbids him to say that out. Instead, he went on asking if she’s okay. 

Young Hee, what is wrong with you seriously? 

He was left in confusion. He doesn’t want to feel this and he wanted to deny it but he couldn’t help feeling puzzled upon seeing Young Hee’s teary eyes earlier. He doesn’t want to feel this way; puzzled and confused but the thought of it were neverending and almost drive him crazy that he knew he need to get rid of such crazy thought.

It was then when Keun Suk rushed to her and asked if she’s okay and even offered her a ride home. And what more surprising was that Young Hee even agreed to go home with him. Seriously? 

He didn’t know why it was surprising for him when it might be not for some others. He was just surprised that Young Hee actually accepted his ride. That was when he held her arms lightly, wanting to confirm.

Do you really want to go with this guy?

But he said out “Are you not going to continue with the practice?” instead.

He was so stupid for always saying things he didn’t really meant. Her teary eyes had bothered him so much and he felt even more bothered when he see her accepting Keun Suk’s ride. He didn’t know why it left him feel bothered but he just didn’t want Young Hee to leave with him. He could not trust the reddish brown haired guy, that’s one; another reason is because of the mere fact that Young Hee’s presence herself earlier had bothered him so much that he feels responsible towards her. He saw her crying and he wondered why. Chased after her to the ladies and even waited up for her. Wanted her to explain but said out something else. And now when she accepted a ride from Keun Suk, he felt bothered because he feels that it was him who was supposed to give her the ride. But instead of asking her to go with him, he asked if she’s not gonna continue with the practice and got smashed by Keun Suk right in the face. He did not understand himself as to why was he going through all of these just because of a girl's teary eyes?

Did I just make her cry? But why? You couldn't possibly...

He couldn’t bring himself to answer that on his own either. What’s in the blank exactly? He was eager, but wouldn’t dare to go further because something tells him that he was just afraid. It was the fear of something but he had no idea himself as to what is it. He denied every possibilities and shook away the thoughts, as if something has told him to stop just at that. But at the same time, he was struggling to find out too. Being caught up in his own predicament, he realized that he was already in his car and is already in front of the foyer. He got out of his car and walked towards Young Hee who was looking at him with a confused expression.

Now you’re confused, huh? I’m confused myself as well.

“Get in,” he said.

“Sonsaengnim, I’m waiting for Keun Suk..” she said before he cut her off.

“He didn’t come yet, did he? I got here first. So stop questioning and get in the car palli,” he instructed as he lightly pushed her to the passenger seat of his car and got into the driver seat and drove away. 

WHILE in the car, thousands of questions that had been running in his head remained in his head, and he end up keeping the questions to himself. There was silence in the car, nor there was radio being switched on. He stole a glance or two towards Young Hee who was looking at the window. He had been wanting to ask the question that keeps popping up in his head since earlier but he couldn’t bring himself to ask it out. When they reached her house, Young Hee unfastened the seat belt and before she got out, she asked him a question which shook him to his heart's core. 

“Sonsaengnim, why are you sending me home?” she asked. There was silence for a moment before he speak up. 

I have no idea myself.

“Because I don’t trust Keun Suk sending you home and besides, I’m responsible for you while the play is still going on.” he answered. 

 

 

 

 

That night @ Soo Hyun’s residence.


Kim Soo Hyun pressed on the password that unlocks the door of his apartment and heaved a heavy sigh, knowing what he had to face next. As he entered the house, he saw Yuri was standing in front of him with her arms crossed, like a hungry tiger waiting for a prey. As expected.

“You’re here.” was all that he could say as he walked past her who was still looking mad. 

“Is that all you have to say to me?” she began to speak but there was no respond from him.

“Oppa, I’m talking to you. What was that incident earlier at the theatre hall? Why did you just left??” she asked.

“Yuri, I’ve told you that she’s not feeling well so I have to send her home.”

“Then I suppose you’ll be sending everyone who got sick while in the play to their home then.” she paused. “What’s so special about her that you even have to send her home? Oppa, you are only a lecturer, you don’t have to go to that extent!” she nagged.

“Yuri, she’s my student and she’s my AD as well. I’m responsible for her while she’s working with me. Apart from that I don’t interfere with her ordinary business,” Soo Hyun explained as he opened the fridge to look for any fresh drink as well as to cool himself down. I just got back home and tired and this is what I get? A nagging?

“Oppa, Did you know that you’ve just turned me into an idiot earlier? I waited for you!” she nagged again and that’s when Soo Hyun cut her off.

“Yuri-ah, I’m sorry okay? I should have told you sooner. But things just got complicated that I forgot to inform you. And listen here, you should stop bringing up that girl. Okay?” he looked at Yuri in the eyes.

Yes, Yuri is what matters now. No one should bring that girl up anymore. No one should talk about that girl anymore.

“Please, don’t do that to me again next time, okay?” Yuri pleaded.

“Arasso, yeobo.” he smiled. "I need to change. I'll just go into my room, alright?" he said again.

"Never mind, I'm heading back home now. I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" she said as she leaned on him for a kiss. "Good night, sweetie," she whispered before she walked out of the door. When the door is closed, she smirked.

 


"Somebody needs a kick in the as a wake up call." 

 

 


Two days later @ the theatre hall


The practice went on as usual. They were continuing the scene that they missed two days ago due to the fact that both Young Hee and Soo Hyun left the theatre hall and the rehearsal had to be dismissed. The waist grabbing scene had to be done several times because Sulli and Jang Keun Suk could not make it look natural and they keep on arguing which had caused Soo Hyun to feel irritated and annoyed.

“CUT!” Soo Hyun snapped loudly. “It was a horrible take, can’t you guys do it properly?” He raised his voice. Looks like he was in a bad mood.

“Juseonghamnida, Sonsaengnim.” Sulli apologized, but Jang Keun Suk just stood there glaring at Soo Hyun.

What is your problem, man? You’re lucky I didn’t punch you in the face because Young Hee might hate me for that. He thought.

“Do it again. It better be good this time.” Soo Hyun instructed.

Young Hee just stood at the corner watching the annoying scene that was going on and realized this has gone too much. She began to speak in a gentle voice but there was a sense of coldness in her tone.

“Sonsaengnim, you don’t have to be that harsh,” she said. Soo Hyun did not looked at her. He had that cold expression on his face. It has been a while since she saw that expression. 

“Then should I just okay-ed everything and turn a blind eye on the unnatural expression they have on their faces?” he snapped in a cold tone. Young Hee took a deep breath.

“The third take was better just now, I could see Keun Suk’s natural tears coming out and Sulli’s tears too. I don’t know why you have to ask them do it again,” she argued politely.

“Just because his tears are coming out easily then you say it’s done already? Is that how you direct a play?” he snapped.

“Look, they’re trying their best okay? If you treat them like that do you think they have the mood to act properly?” Young Hee snapped back, still observing her courtesy. She had no idea why he got mad but she was irritated seeing him like this. 

“Since you’re all protective and know how to take care of these people, why don’t you do it yourself then? So that I won’t have to waste my time over this stupid play.” he said. Young Hee just stood there with her arms crossed and sighed before walking her way to the washroom. 

It has been two days since the day Yuri came for a visit. Nothing has changed today except for the fact that both she and Soo Hyun did not talk to each other unless for important matters that requires discussion. Other than that, things have been dull between the two of them. She had a feeling that Soo Hyun was avoiding her too. She had no idea why, but one thing for sure, she did this because she knew she had to. She has had enough she was struggling to stop herself from thinking about him now. It was such a terrible experience to forget someone you really love. It was so damn hard. It was never Soo Hyun’s fault that she became like this; it was her fault that she could not control herself. The more she get involved with him, the more she loves him; and this is how it all started. In the end, she was the one who get hurt. Just like just now. He treated her coldly and it hurts her so much. Why did they argue with each other? Since when they even disagree with each other? She was curious herself. But surprisingly she did not cry. Probably it's because she was tired of crying. She had spent the last weekend crying because of him. How many times has it been already? She couldn’t trust her own heart anymore. She couldn’t follow her heart anymore. It was for that reason she became like this. Because she listened to her heart too much, she end up getting hurt. She decided to listen to her mind starting from this day on. Her mind is rather logical and more rational compared to her heart. Avoiding him for good is the best thing that she could do to both of them. And good thing that Soo Hyun was not looking after her too today. She wondered why too, but she refused to think further because she had to be firm to herself. She had promised not to be bothered by anything that concerns him anymore.

She suddenly felt dizzy on her head and slightly massaged it with her fingers. Her legs suddenly felt weak and she could barely get on her knees. 

“What’s wrong with me?” she asked herself. There was no one there and she could barely hold the sink. Her vision started to become blurry and everything she see seems like spinning in her head. The last thing she saw before everything became blackout was a girl in a uniform approaching her in the washroom.

 

 

 


Kim Soo Hyun rests his back on the metal stool covered with a red canvas as soon as he shouted out the word “ACTION!”. He knew for a fact that he was not in a good mood today and he had no idea why. One of the reason could probably be the fact that he was pissed off just seeing the face of Jang Keun Suk. That guy just annoyed him by his mere presence, what more with his care towards Young Hee earlier that it feels almost like showing off that he truly cares for her. He realized that Young Hee looked rather pale today and wondered if she’s sick. But he knew he was no longer in a position to ask her if she’s okay. He realized that they have been avoiding each other today, and he had no idea why she did that. But for him, he knew he had to do that. He had been spending the last weekend trying to clear his mind and had finally come to his senses. A student will always be a student and there can be no such thing as friendship or anything beyond that. He noticed something is wrong between both of them, but he refused to find out why. It is better to leave it to where it was and get over it. 

He hated the thought of him having to avoid her for good when they have been this close to each other. He hated it more when he could not find an answer to his own question as to why was he even bothered about all this. It was not like him to care at all, but why is it that now he couldn’t stop himself from thinking about her? Why he couldn’t stop thinking about what is going on between him and her? What is this relationship, really? Is it really friends and nothing more than that? What is she to him? Who is he to her? He really has no idea. He scoffed at his own stupidity and confusion. Since when did he become concerned with Young Hee? Since when did she get into his life? Since when did she revolved around his life, and he himself revolved around his life? He knew they have gone too far and it is now too late to revert everything back to the way it was in the first place, but it is still not too late to stop. 

But something just feels not right today. The fact that he and Young Hee did not talk to each other like they usually did bothers him so much. The fact that he was avoiding her and she seemed like avoiding him too, bothers him a lot. He hated the fact that he was curious as to why was she looking pale and wanted to ask but could not do so simply because he really could not. And he hated it more when he wasn’t be able to find out himself why he even did that. He hated the fact that he was pissed off when Young Hee came to him and asked him not to be too harsh on Keun Suk. Why did he even feel pissed? 

This is what he meant. He was left in confusion which he hated the most and it makes him feel stupid for not being able to solve this confusion because he didn’t want to because he was afraid. Afraid of what, he himself did not know. 

But where did she go? 

He looked around to catch a glimpse of her but she was nowhere in sight. It was not long ago when she left him after the slight argument about the waist grabbing and the crying scene but now she was not in the theatre. Suddenly the theatre door was opened and a girl in a uniform barged in.

“Somebody please help! Young Hee fainted in the washroom!” she shouted.

 

Without hesitation, Soo Hyun find himself quickly got up from his seat and rushed his way to the washroom.

 

 

A/N: How was it? I really hate the fact that Soo Hyun was too clueless! Anyway... Comments are appreciated! Subscribing are lovely! Thanks yeorobunnn!~ <3