Chapter 12

Saranghaeyo, Sonsaengnim!

SATURDAY @ Myeongdong 


IT WAS SATURDAY MORNING AND MYEONGDONG STREET WAS BUSY AS ALWAYS. The fashion street was crowded with people of different types, races, skin colours, and nationalities. The street is well-known to the outsiders especially foreigners and tourists as an international one stop shopping centre. Most of the shopping outlets here sell products from international brands such as The Body Shop, Nature Republic and others. 

KIM SOO HYUN had been part of the teeming crowd for the past three hours; wandering around killing time while waiting for Yuri to finish with her hairdo. The new haircut was for the new photoshoot of an event to promote cosmetic products. He then stumbled upon a shop that sells perfumes and other fragrances. From the glass window of the shop he could see glass bottles and classy boxes of highly branded perfumes arranged nicely next to each other; attractive enough to get his attention to enter the shop. 

"Welcome!" on of the salegirl welcomed him enthusiastically. He looked around, probably searching for a specific perfume which was familiar to him. He then walked towards the ladies corner and looked for a specific brand. Upon finding it, he gently grabbed one of the tester and sprayed in on a thin white paper then sniffed it.

Dior Addict Shine. Yuri's favourite perfume, he thought. 

He smiled upon remembering how Yuri has been sticking to one particular perfume since they were dating back in the old days. He was so familiar with the scent as it reminds him of her and her sweet scent everytime he came across people who happened to use the same perfume. It hurts him back then; but now he can even smile upon recalling those bitter memories while feeling glad and thankful that she has returned by his side. 

He called for the salesgirl and asked her to pack the perfume for him. He had decided to buy it for her. It wasn't her birthday or any other occasion, he just feels like buying it for her. On the way to the counter, he stumbled upon one section that says "Victoria's Secret". 

He walked his way towards the section and roamed for the perfumes of that brand. He tested the perfume and sniffed it one by one before he felt his head becoming dizzy, probably because he had been sniffing too many fragrances. He scratched his head in confusion. 

Was it Secret Charm? Was it Midnight Exotic? 

He couldn't identify the exact seductive scent that he smelled during the dinner after sniffing too many perfumes. Yes, while Dior Addict reminds him of his sweetheart, Victoria's Secret brought him back to the stupid conversation he had with Young Hee in front of the ladies during the faculty dinner. The electrifying moment that had made him lost his mind temporarily with that seductive scent of hers. He remembers the smell vividly but now he was confused. 

"May I help you?" one of the salegirl approached him, offering to help him.

"Ah, deh. I'm actully looking for a perfume here but after sniffing it all one by one, I'm not sure what perfume exactly that I want to buy." he said and giggled. He felt stupid for even explaining that to the girl. The girl smiled before asking him again. "How does it smells like? Does it smell like flower or fruity smell? any other thing that you can remember?"

He tried to remember the vivid scent he clearly recognized before while struggling to get rid of the other fragrances around him that makes him confused. 

"It is more like a cherry smell," he said.

"Cherry? If that's the case then I think you're probably searching for this," she grabbed one glass bottle that contains liquid which was maroon in colour and gave it to him. "Pure Seduction," she explained again. She sprayed the tester to a white paper before giving it to him for him to sniff it. Upon sniffing it, a feeling of familiarity suddenly rushed through him. This is it.This is the scent that he has been looking for. The scent which brings him back to the memories of the faculty dinner; how he was mesmerized temporarily when he caught her from falling; how she smells like cherry; soft and delicate; simply a plain beauty.

"Pack this for me too, please." he instructed.

"Deh," the salesgirl nodded then brought the tiny glass bottle of VS's Pure Seduction on the glass rack to the counter. As he was paying off the fragrances, he couldn't stop trying to figure out exactly why was he doing this; buying things for Young Hee but he just feels that he wanted to buy one for her. He just feels glad that he was able to know what she likes; like she was close to him. And more than anything, he feels happy for being able to get something for her. It was like a token of appreciation; a way to express his gratitude towards that young girl. 

That young lady has always been kind to him. Always reaching out for him, and was always there for him through his thick and thin. It was not long ago when they had late night conversation underneath the starry sky at night, talking about their own families which they don't usually share it with anyone else. Somehow it was comfortable sharing and pouring everything to her; knowing that she was a good listener. Until now, he could still feel the warmth of her hands holding his, while she consoled him with her soothing and gentle words that touched him to his heart's core.

"I'm sorry... about your father. You lost him too." 

He could feel his heart sank upon recalling her soothing and comforting words; it gives him such an unusual feeling.... he felt loved. He felt he was cared. For the first time in his life, there is someone who actually cares about how he felt about losing his father at a little age. For the first time in his life, someone understands his feelings; for the first time, someone felt sorry for the fact that he had lost a father without asking how he died and why he died and even how did he end up going into prison. For the first time ever, he heard nice things about him and his father. For the first time in his life, he was touched at her sincerity. It was a beautiful feeling that he is having right now. He was sunk into the comfort she was offering. Like he is loved; like he is accepted just the way he is; like someone understands him and the pain that he went through. And that person is none other than Lee Young Hee, who is truly a friend indeed.

Gumapta, Lee Young Hee.

 

 


EPILOGUE

 

15 YEARS AGO

 

It was raining heavily, followed by the booming sound of a thunder. The air was rather gloomy. It was as if God wept a silent rain among the mournful souls that gathered that day. The flowers were frail, drooping their usual morning dews, mourning for the dead as well. There were people coming in and out of the funeral home, paying last respects to the dead. 

KIM SOO HYUN was placing flowers into the small section of the memorial rack at the funeral home. He took a step back and bowed three times and then he looked up to the framed photo of the deceased placed inside the section of the rack. 

“Appa, I missed you,” he started to cry silently as he felt a warm pat on his back. 

“Hyung...” he cried again. “Why does Appa has to die? Appa has promised to see my number 1 present,” he cried again.

“Soo Hyun-ah, Appa is happily watching us from up above. He can see us from the heaven. Don’t be sad, okay?” his brother consoled. He rushed to his brother’s warm and tight embrace, sobbing heavily. It has been a week since his father departed. That was a despair moment for him in his entire life. Although he was 10 years old, he knew what this means. Losing someone he dearly loved at this age certainly hurts the most. More than anything, losing someone he was not ready to let go just yet saddens him the most. And it feels worse that he was not even there when his father died and he did not even have the chance to say good bye. He cried heavily upon remembering that and stopped crying when he heard a louder cries of a girl coming from the hall. He turned to face the girl who was crying loudly at entrance of the hall in the funeral hall. It looks like she just had someone she loves passed away.

 


LEE YOUNG HEE was wearing a small sized black funeral attire made out of hemp with three ribbons on the side of her arm. She walked out of the room after bowing three times at the casket in front of her which was placed at the centre of the hall; together with a picture of her mother. 

“Omma...” she cried, calling out her mom repeatedly. 

She knelt down at the entrance of the hall and started to sob heavily. It was devastating; it was the worst tragedy ever happen in her entire life. Having her mom passed away has broken her heart into shattered pieces; having someone she dearly loved left her forever. The most beautiful moment on Earth has not left her alone. The woman with beautiful gentle voice who would sing her to sleep and read her bed time stories was no longer there to keep an eye on her. 

“Ommaa..” she began to cry loudly as she hugged her knees and buried her face in it and sobbed heavily. That’s when she felt someone gently patted her back. She slowly looked up with remaining tears in her eyes. She saw a figure of a young boy who was a bit older than her, looking at her. 

“My brother said that when someone we love passed away, they are in the heaven up there watching us down here. Your mom is probably watching you from up above and she’ll be sad if she see you like this.” he said with a smile. Young Hee was still looking at him. He squatted down to face her as he lightly wiped her tears off her face.

“Let’s not cry anymore, okay? So that your mom and my dad will be happy in heaven.” he said and smiled as he watched her slowly smiling too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Helllooo~~ Cheongmal juseonghamnida for the very short chapter!! I was stuck for days trying to complete this one and it takes time for the ideas to come in so... yeah. But what a destiny that both of them had actually met when they were kids don't you think?! Anyways, I really hope you'll enjoy it. Comments are appreciated!

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who had been subscribing my FF and enjoy reading it, following every bits and updates of every chapters, and commenting on it. I really really thank you because this is my first FF that is in chapters form and your undying love & support keep me going. Thanks for being there through my thick and thin. Cheongmal gumawosoyo! :'D

<3 Bella