chapter 8

Love Unexpected

Shinhye met up with Geun Young that Saturday, they had planned to have lunch together. Geun Young wanted to find out some things about Shinhye, she was so secretive these days. After last night she was sure some thing was off. She didn’t get she was so happy working with Joong Ki instead of working with Minho. The last time they talked about a month now when she mentioned that he had returned. After that, she avoided all talk connected to him. She wanted to know what happened and today she would get everything out of her.

“So, Shinhye about yesterday’s party, care to enlighten me? I don’t understand your happiness. I thought you would want to be close to Minho and not Joong Ki. Spill it girl, what did I miss?” Geun Young pestered.

Shinhye looked at her confused but concerned friend and heavily sighed. “I guess I should tell her everything now. Am sure she is not ready to accept anything less than the truth.”

She told her everything that happened till yesterday and Geun Young couldn’t believe what she heard. She couldn’t believe it, married? How? Why? Were the questions roaming around in her mind. It didn’t make sense.

“So, did he explain why he had to get married so fast because frankly I don’t get it. If he really meant it when he asked to date, then none of this makes sense.” Geun Young said thoughtfully. “Do you maybe think that something happened while he was there? Something that made him marry, huh?” She continued on. “Am sure I wasn’t mistaken about him, I couldn’t have been this wrong about him. You need to ask him what happened, you have to. There has to be good explanation.” She insisted.

Shinhye was quiet all the time Geun Young talked. She hadn’t got his explanation because she was so annoyed with him that day and after that, she had avoided any talk that wasn’t work related. She remembered he had wanted to explain himself that day even but she did him give chance to. “Should I have waited and listened to his explanation. Did I make a mistake?” She wondered and hoped she hadn’t because if she had, then she was really being unfairly mean to him. But now it was too late to get that explanation and even if she got it, it still wouldn’t change anything. Everything came to an end when he got married.

She noticed Geun Young was staring at her expecting a reply. “I was so angry and hurt by his marriage news that I didn’t wait to get the explanation.” She replied.

“And you have been avoiding him all this time.” Geun Young finished. “I really think he still likes you because how do you explain the fact that he allowed all your conditions. I mean if he was playing around with you, he wouldn’t be that accommodating of your behavior. Don’t you agree?”

Shinhye realized everything Geun Young said made sense, he had really been accommodating with her spiteful behavior. Not once had she tried to understand his situation. She was busy feeling betrayed, blaming him for everything and her, if she had truly loved him, why didn’t she give him the benefit of doubt. Why was she quick to judge? It’s not like they had been dating. They were only starting. Probably that’s why she behaved the way she had, she was so excited about him and all her dreams were shattered even before she could experience any of it. Like if you burn your new dress even before you get to wear it.

By the time they both went their own way, Shinhye couldn’t stop wondering why she never thought about everything Geun Young had said. She wished she had discussed everything to her earlier, maybe she would have handled the whole situation differently.

Minho spent his day drinking and sleeping and this went on the next day too. Chae Won came by but Minho didn’t notice she had dropped by. She had looked at him while he slept, noticed tears running down his cheeks. Her eyes became cloudy with tears starting to form. “Is it this painful for you being married to me?” she whispered as she wiped away the tears. She picked her change of clothes and left, they were so busy at the hospital.

On her way to the hospital, she was thought about everything that had happened since the day they both signed their marriage. It was nothing like what she had dreamt. At first she thought he was just annoyed that she refused his request to stop the wedding and he would forget about it soon but the situation only got worse especially when they came back to Korea. All he did was drink as though he had a desire to drown himself in alcohol. She was really worried about him but she didn’t know what to do to help him return to his old self.

She missed him so much, she always thought marriage would bring them closure but if anything it just tore them apart. He always looked at her with sad and annoyed eyes; they were like two strangers staying in the same house. She was thinking of a solution but she hadn’t made the final decision yet, she had to be sure first before deciding what to do.

Because of her discussion with Geun Young had made a decision the she never dreamt possible after everything that happened. She had to do it, she owed it to herself. She got to the office and discovered Joong Ki had already arrived, he was really an early bird that one. It was great because she wanted to discuss something with him. She went in and made her greetings.

“I need to talk to you about something.” Shinhye said while inside his office.

“Ok,” Joong Ki replied and gave all his attention.

They talked for a while and Shinhye walked out of his office with a worried face.

“I hope am not making a mistake,” she prayed. She didn’t want to regret, especially Joong Ki’s kindness to her.

Meanwhile Minho was in his office waiting for the new assistant that would place Shinhye. He had strictly requested for male assistant, the only female assistant he wanted was her and if he couldn’t have her then no other would take her place.

A lot people had come for the interview when Joong Ki had placed in her leave documents and after Minho stating he needed a man they had gone with the next in line since a female had been the first choice. He had excelled in his studies but didn’t have working experience and this was the only reason he had come in second to the lady counterpart. He had received the call on Friday and he had been asked to come to the office Monday, today and now he was down in the lobby waiting to meet his someone who would lead him to his post.

“Mr. Kim?” Someone called out his name. “Come with me please.”

He followed the man heading to where he believed his office and boss would be. He couldn’t wait to get started with his work. They took the lift to the 10th floor and his guide informed him that they had reached.

Minho was interrupted from his reading by a knock on his door, “That must be the new assistant,” he sighed and informed the intruder to enter as closed the document he was reading. He looked up and was shocked to see Shinhye standing in front him. He didn’t think he would ever see her again his office, was he beginning to see her everywhere now.

“Can I have a word with?” Shinhye asked.

“Yes, please do.” Minho said as he pointed a seat for her to sit. They both sat down and Minho waited for Shinhye to speak. He really couldn’t guess what she wanted to say to, so he just sat and waited.

Shinhye was not sure how to start the conversation so she chose the direct route. “I want to continue working as your assistant.” She said as she looked observing his reaction and continued. “But if you don’t want me to I can understand.” She lowered her gaze and waited for his reply. She didn’t think she would be this affected waiting for his reply but she was and when he finally answered, she discovered his reply made her very happy. “Then I will immediately get to work” She said and she stood up and left his office.

Minho couldn’t quite understand what just happened and all this meant. He wanted to ask what caused the change but he didn’t because he didn’t want to say anything that might change her mind. He would take what he was offered no questions asked. God was he happy, until this morning, he was sure he would never talk to her leave alone working with her.

Meanwhile Kim Bum was brought to Joong Ki’s office and the two men exchanged pleasantries. He was briefed on the ongoing projects and he straight away got to work. Joong Ki noticed he was a hard worker and ready to learn. He was worried about his luck of work experience but his were put rest. He seemed like a good kid too, he looked forward to working with him.

At lunch time asked Kimbum to join him for lunch, they walked together to Shinhye and invited her too. Joong Ki introduced them and as they prepared to leave, Shinhye decided to join Minho to join them. “You guys go down fast and I will follow later.” She said as she walked towards Minho’s office. The two guys left as she got inside his office. “We guys are heading down for lunch, want to join us?” She asked.

Minho was so shocked and he just kept looking on. “No? Ok, just thought I would ask.” She said and walked. “Just give me a minute and we go.” He said hurriedly. He did not understand her behavior but he liked it, he would take whatever he got and he was already getting a lot. They both got onto the elevator went in silence until they got to the cafeteria. He wanted to say a lot of things, ask about a lot of things but he was afraid of ruining everything and so he kept quiet. Shinhye also wanted to know a lot of things especially those around his marriage but now wasn’t the time. They joined the other two guys and enjoyed the lunch focusing mainly on the new guy. At first Minho felt like the intruder but everyone helped him feel included. At times he would look at Shinhye and notice that she was looking at him with smiling eyes, it brought joy to see this change.

They went back to their respective offices. At their office, Minho thanked her for inviting him for lunch. “It was great.” He said.

“That’s ok, you don’t have to thank me for that. I just wanted to show my appreciation for accepting my request to stay as your assistant.” Shinhye replied.

He wanted to talk about everything and try to explain everything to her but she didn’t seem to want him talking about that. He really wanted to clear the air. “Shinhye, can you please come to my office, I want to discuss something with you if you don’t mind.” He said with hopeful eyes.

She suspected what the discussion would be about. She was sure she was ready to listen to his explanation but when she saw his pleading eyes she nodded to his request and they walked into his office. He explained everything that happened while he was in the States, his relationship with Chae won and her family, everything. She listened quietly to everything he said without interrupting his speech and only talked when he had finished everything. As she listened she felt sorry for him and even tried to understand his decision at that time. It was just that she didn’t know how best to react to his explanation. She realized that it still didn’t change the fact that he was now a married man.

He sat watching Shinhye as he waited for her reply to everything he had said. Did she believe him, did she understand his decision and most of all would she finally forgive him were the thoughts in his head.

Shinhye slowly raised her head and looked straight in his eyes. “I understand your situation then and get why you did everything you did. It’s just sad that it had to end like this. There is nothing we can do to change everything that has happened. Friends?” She said as she offered her hand and smiled sadly at him.

He didn’t want to be her friend, he wanted more but with everything that happened this was all they could be or was it?

 

Sorry about the delay in updating but I am abit busy these days. I will try to update whenever I get free time.

Also thanks alot for reading and comments, sometimes my next chapter ideas come from your comments so thats