Chapter 14

Love Unexpected

Everything seemed calm for a while and the two love birds were falling even more in love with each other each and every passing day. It was official now that they were an item at the office and everyone that mattered was happy for them.

Shinhye was teased a lot by Joong Ki but mostly he was glad she had found a good man to take care of her. She told him everything because he wouldn’t stop pestering her about it. He felt bad that she hadn’t leaned on him during those hard times.

Joong Ki: I thought I was like a brother to you but I guess not. What are brothers for if even my little sister can lean on me during hard times?

Shinhye: Am sorry Joong Ki oppa, I just could talk to anyone that time. But now I wish I had talked to someone then because maybe I wouldn’t have suffered so much. Oh well like they saying goes, nothing good comes easily, it was a test we had to go through and I can proudly say we passed and it made us stronger.

Joong Ki watched her as she talked and he could see that she was happy and that was all he wanted, her happiness.

It was also the same feeling he got from Minho when he talked about her, or when he was around her they just couldn’t hide their feelings for each other. He just couldn’t understand why he didn’t notice it before. They are so obvious now that he knows they are dating.

Minho hadn’t officially met Shinhye’s parents yet but he wanted to do it now that everything had settled down. He had spoken to Shinhye about it and they had set that weekend to do it.

She was excited to show Minho to her parents as the man that was responsible for her new found happiness. She had a feeling her mum suspected she was seeing someone but for some reason, her mum hadn’t brought up the topic. She had been hoping her mum would bring it up first which would ease her into opening up but it hadn’t happened yet.

Minho was coming that Sunday and it was Saturday. She had to tell her parents and streamline before Minho came the next day.

Shinhye joined her mum in the kitchen and walked around the kitchen table trying to figure out a way of talking to her mum about his visit. Her mum noticed her restlessness and finally asked.

Shinhye’s mum: Something on your mind honey?

Shinhye: No…… Yes. Mum I have something to discuss with you.

Shinhye’s mum: Okay, I am all ears now, tell me what’s disturbing you dear?

Shinhye: I am seeing someone and he wants to come and officially meet you.

Shinhye’s mum: Really, who is he, do I know him?

Shinhye: he is my boss, he came by sometime back.

She looked at her mum watching for any opposition and got none. Instead her mum seemed happy for her news and Shinhye could finally relax.

Shinhye’s mum: I suspected he had a thing for you that time but since he disappeared and never came by again I guessed I was wrong. He looked like a good boy, I liked him. Tell me about him, I want to know about this boy that was able to steal my little girl’s heart. What do you like about him?

Shinhye: He is a genuine person, honest, perfect gentleman and last but not least, he loves me. There is no doubt in my heart that he truly loves me and that brings me so much joy.

Shinhye’s mum: You left out handsome and hot.

They both laughed out loud finding the last comment funny.

Shinhye: And yes omma his is indeed hot and handsome I can’t deny that’s one of the things that I am attracted to but there is more to that beautiful face.

She was happy her mum already liked him now she had to charm her dad into falling in love with him too. Later that night after having dinner, they cleared the dishes and while they are in the kitchen her mum pushed her into talking to her dad then as she washed the dishes.

She went into the living room and sat cuddled close to her dad.

Shinhye’s dad: Is something on your mind honey?

Shinhye: I want you to meet someone tomorrow. He is a really special person to me and he really wants to meet you.

She looked at him with cute begging eyes praying it would charm him into granting her wish.

Shinhye: He is really nice, I think you will like him once you see him, please appa say yes, huh?

He could sense that she really cared for this guy and so he agreed only so he could check for himself if the guy would be good enough for his daughter.

It was exactly 7pm in the evening when Minho arrived at Shinhye’s house. He brought flowers for her mum and a bottle of well matured wine for her dad since she had mentioned that these would impress her parents. It was Shinhye that opened the door for him and led him straight to the living room where her parents were both waiting.

She introduced him to them and Minho handed out his gifts to both of them.

Shinhye’s mum: You didn’t have to, they are really beautiful.

Her dad accepted the wine but concealed his expression so Minho wasn’t sure if he had liked it or not. Shinhye’s mum invited them into the dining so they could have their dinner. They enjoyed dinner and the conversation was about Shinhye’s childhood. He found out a lot about her and also realized that they were really a close family. He also noticed her dad studying him at certain intervals but he didn’t let it bother him because he understood that her dad only wanted to check out the person interested in his daughter. After dinner the men remained in the living room and the ladies excused themselves to the kitchen.

Shinhye’s dad: So my daughter told me you have something to discuss with me?

Minho: Dee, abuonim. I am sorry I didn’t do it earlier but I want to ask your permission to date your daughter.

Her dad just looked at him and so he continued pleading his case.

Minho: I understand you are worried about her but I promise to look after well, to never cause her harm and to be her place of comfort.

Shinhye’s dad: What do you like about my daughter?

Minho: Everything.

He answered so fast without even thinking.

Minho: there isn’t a thing about her I would change she is perfect in my eyes. I like her when she is happy, sad and even when she is mad at me, I still like her. She is someone that has brought happiness to my life and I would do anything to keep her in my life. She is everything to me.

Minho kept talking about her oblivious of her dad’s smile which had developed because he could see how much Minho was into his daughter. It was interesting for her dad because he seemed to describe his daughter so well and most of all he appreciated all her perfections and imperfections. He could see he was sincere towards his daughter.

Shinhye: So appa, how did I do? Did I choose well?

Shinhye’s dad: Yes honey, you chose well. He is a keeper.

Minho: Thank you abuonim

Shinhye ran to her hugged him tightly.

Shinhye: Komawo appa.

Her dad saw how happy she was and was filled with joy.

Later that night Minho left their home feeling like the happiest man alive. Her family was so welcoming and he was excited that he would someday be part of it. He called his mum and gave her the good news and she was glad her son was happy and that Shinhye’s family had opened their home to him.

It has been a week now since his visit to Shinhye’s house. He was driving to her house to take her out for dinner. It felt good doing this, it felt like prom night and he couldn’t wait to meet his date. Her mum opened the door for him and hugged him and led him into the living room. She really liked her future son in law. Shinhye came down with a beautiful black gown and her hair let loose. She was breathtaking. Minho quickly walked to her side and the two walked out leaving behind two happy adults.

They had their dinner at a beautiful secluded restaurant and Shinhye noticed there were no other people.

Shinhye: how come there aren’t other customers?

Minho: Because I wanted to be selfish today. I didn’t want to share this moment with anyone but you.

Shinhye:  What Special moment?

Minho: This

He got up from his seat and walked to where she is seated, got down on one knee and presented the most beautiful ring she had ever seen.

Minho: Park Shinhye, will you do me the honor of becoming my one and only true love, will you accept this Lee Minho to be the man beside you for the rest of your life. Will you marry me?

She was so happy tears were running down her cheeks. She went down on her knees and filled his face with kisses.

Shinhye: Yes, I accept, I will marry you.

They both stood up and held each other in a tight hug. They were so happy and excited to live their life together. They decided they wanted to get married in a month’s time. Shinhye’s mind was already dreaming about the wedding dress and his was thinking about the honeymoon.

He took her home and they gave the good news to her parents who were happy for them and they planned to give his mother the good news the next day.

Everything seemed well but trouble was brewing somewhere in Seoul.