Chapter 5

Love Unexpected

“What is taking this girl so long? She should be down by now.” Mrs. Park worried. “Shinhye-ah, wake up darling or you’re going to be late.” She walked up the stairs to her room and knocked at her door, “Shinhye-ah darling are you awake? You’re going to be late dear.” She knocked again but still no reply. She turned the door-knob and let herself in. “What’s wrong with this girl?” Mrs. Park worried as she walked to her bed to wake her up. She pulled the covers and Shinhye was brought from her deep sleep by the cold air.

“Omma!” Shinhye complained.

“You better get out that bed and prepare for work, that’s if you still have the job.” Her mum asserted.

With that, she quickly jumped out of bed and rushed to the bathroom. In 20 minutes, she was done and ready to go. She didn’t want to be late. Not today of all days. She didn’t want him to think she was taking advantage. If anything, she should even be more punctual than ever. She decided to take a taxi because taking the bus was a no, no.

On reaching the office building, she jumped out the cab and ran as fast as she could to the elevator. People were looking at her but not even that could interfere with her goal. He must find me at my desk, this kept echoing in her mind. The elevator was full but she squeezed herself in. The elevator complained overload but she refused to get off until someone else got off and then finally the doors closed and they ascended. When it reached 10th floor, she jumped off and ran to her office. She went to his door and slowly turned the door knob, she wanted to check if he had already arrived. “He’s not here yet.” She sighed, relived her goal was attained. She went back to her office and prepared for the day. When she finished with the preparations Minho had not arrived yet. She checked for time and realized that it was way passed his arrival time.

She was still pondering about what could have happened for him to be this late when she had a knock at her door.

“Come in.” She called out.

“Shinhye-ssi, you are here?” Joong ki called out.

“Joong ki-ssi.” She rose from her seat and greeted him respectively.

“I came by earlier but you weren’t in.” Shinhye tried to interrupt with an apology but he continued on saying, “Minho-ssi won’t be coming in today, he has a family emergency.”

“Family emergency?” Shinhye asked.

“Yeah, his father’s health seems to have gotten worse and they called for him.” Joong Ki-ssi replied. “His family moved to the States when his father first had a and they have been leaving there for the past 5 years. Minho stayed behind because he had to work and prevent his company from going down. His really one determined business man.”

“So you will be working with me until he gets back which I hope is sooner than later.” He said and walked out the office.

With the door closed, she rushed to her bag for her phone and dialed his number but it was out of reach. She tried dialing it again but still no luck. “Why is he not picking his calls, I hope nothing bad has happened.” She worried.” May be he is busy, I will try calling him later.” She made a mental note to do it later.

She spent the whole day destructed with worry and since he hadn’t picked any of her calls, she was even more worried. She prayed the worst hadn’t happened. “God please protect his dad and don’t let anything bad happen,” Shinhye silently prayed.

Shinhye-ssi? Joong Ki called. “Are you ok? You seem destructed. Are you not feeling well?” he asked with worry on his face.

“No, am sorry I was destructed but it won’t happen again.” She assured. “I should concentrate or else Joong Ki-ssi is going to have a very bad impression of me.” She worried.” Focus Shinhye-ah, focus.” She cheered herself.

She tried not to think about Minho for the rest of the day. After work she tried calling him again but still no answer. She called Geun Young and they met briefly at her mum’s restaurant. She told her about his situation and Geun Young advised her to wait for his call.

“He will call you when he’s ready.” She had said.

“Right, he will call.” Shinhye sighed.

She went home and walked straight to her room without noticing anyone and closed the door. She checked her phone and still there was no call or message. She prepared for bed and stayed awake for an hour just in case he called. She didn’t want to risk him calling while she slept. But he still didn’t call.

“I guess he’s not ready yet.” And with that, she resigned and put herself to sleep.

Shinhye woke up early the next day and immediately checked her phone and still he hadn’t called.

She prepared herself and headed off to work. The whole day she waited and waited but still no call. She was sick with worry. She focused on work and this went on for a week. Her waiting for his call but the call never happening.

“Hallo, hallo, am still here.” Geun Young was waving across her face. “What is worrying you so much that I have completely become non-existent she asked.

Shinhye slowly turned her face towards her friend and tears started pouring out uncontrollably. “I am worrying about everything.” She stated.

“I worry about him, his well-being and his dad’s health. I guess the worst has not happened because then we would have heard something by now.” Am worried I am not important enough for him to share his grievances with. I have been waiting for a whole week now but still nothing. I even text him but   no, he hasn’t replied any of my texts.” Do you think he gave up on me, us dating?” she asked. “Did I blow it when I requested for time?” I think I lost him even before I had him. I am so frustrated it’s even affecting my performance at work.”

“What do I do chinguya? The waiting is killing me.”

Geun young looked at her broken friend and her heart broke. She didn’t know what to do in order to ease her pain. Quite frankly she also didn’t understand Minho’s actions. She didn’t understand why he was ignoring her like this. He was the one who suggested they date.

She shifted from her seat and moved next to her so she could give her a hug, anything to ease the pain. Shinhye continued to cry as they hugged and when she couldn’t cry anymore, they walked together to her home. Geun Young escorted her because she was really worried about her. She wanted to ensure she got home safely.

“What happened to her?” Mrs. Park asked Geun Young.

“She had a bad day at work but she will be ok ommoni,” she replied.

Geun Young bid her farewell and left as Shinhye walked into their house with her mum. She was worried for her friend. Her friend had completely fallen in love without any reservation for herself. She didn’t want her to get hurt.

Mrs. Park walked with Shinhye to her room leaving her husband confused downstairs. She tried to find out what was bothering her but Shinhye wouldn’t tell. She left her room worried only to meet an even more worried person than her.

“What’s wrong with my angel?” He asked his wife. “Yobo, is my sweet angel ok? He was panicking with worry.” Mrs. Park looked at him and managed to form a slight smile on her lips and said, “She is fine dear, she just needs to rest. She had an exhausting day at work that’s all.” She lied. She didn’t want him worrying. He was not convinced but he decided to let it go for now. He would find out tomorrow from Shinhye herself her promised himself. He had to know why his sweet angel was feeling down these days, she wasn’t happy he could tell.

In the morning, Shinhye had her break first with her parents as they quietly watched. She didn’t have much of an appetite but she also didn’t want to worry her parents so she forced food down until she finished it all and left to prepare for work. She quickly dressed and walked downstairs only to find her parents looking at her with questioning eyes.

“Shinhye dear, where are going?” her father asked.

“The office, where else? She replied.

“Sweetie, it's Saturday today, did you forget?” he asked.

She had been in such a daze the whole week that she didn’t even realize the weekend had finally reached. It was last Saturday that he had picked her, taken her to his house and asked her out. It felt like it was ages ago. Sometimes she wondered if it was just a dream she had mistakenly assumed to be real. She wasn’t sure what’s real and dreams anymore.

“I forgot,” she said and walked back to her room leaving her parents filled with worry.

She spent the weekend in her room, only appearing for meals which she eat only to avoid questions from her parents. She knew they were worried and wanted to comfort her but she just wanted to be alone. She felt bad that she was hurting them but she would not tell them anything.

She reported for work as usually and still no news. She even tried to get some information from Joong Ki but he also didn’t provide anything helpful to her. She gave up waiting for his call and decided to concentrate on work.

He did not return or communicate for one, two, three months until one day Joong Ki came to her office and delivered the news that he was finally returning to Korea.

“Really?” she asked.

“Really, is that all you can say?” he asked. “I thought you would jump at the news. You get to have you’re old boss back. Why, what’s with this mild reaction?”

“Am happy.” She stated with a slight smile.

“Ok, if you say so. He will be here Monday next week.”  He said. “Enjoy your weekend Shinhye-ah.”

“You too”. She replied.

They had become close during those three months and it had become comfortable between them. He treated her like a little sister and she in returned found a big brother in him.

Shinhye thought about the news he had brought. There was a mountain of emotions in her heart. On one end she was happy she would finally see him again and on another side she felt annoyed with him for not contacting her even once during those three months.

The weekend seemed long, but by the time Monday reached, the happy side had won over and she just couldn’t wait to see him. She had prettied herself for him. She wanted him to be blown away, to regret not communicating and in case he thought about leaving her, to forget about it all together.

Shinhye and Joong Ki were standing outside waiting to welcome him. The elevators opened and there he was, handsome as ever. She smiled as he walked out the elevator and moved to Joong Ki’s side. He warmly greeted Joong Ki and her but she noticed he avoided looking at her. They got to her office where Joong Ki excused himself and left them together. Shinhye was glad they were finally alone, she wanted to freely talk to him. She prepared to talk but instead Minho completely ignored her and entered his office shutting the door behind him.

She felt hurt. Like someone had pulled out her heart and tore it into pieces. She couldn’t breathe and tears started pouring. He was gone, no longer hers.