Friends over Lovers

Uri Sarang - Our Love

Chapter 37

 

Donghae had texted her that he was waiting at a nearby cafe. She exited the building, and to her relief, there were no fan girls to be found.

 

The cafe was just a few blocks away, so she walked. Once she reached it, she saw Donghae sitting at a table from the glass window outside. He noticed her and waved. She smiled and waved back. Mentally she was preparing herself for what she was going to say to him.

 

But once she sat down, Donghae wouldn’t stop talking. About her, about the members, about their new album. It seemed like he didn’t want to bring up the topic of their online scandal.

 

Finally, Sara had to say something.

 

“Donghae” She said as she reached across the table and laid her palm on his hand. “We need to talk about what everyone is saying about us. We need to tell them that it’s not true.”

 

Donghae looked down at her hand and sighed. “I know. But I wish it was.”

 

They gazed at each other for a few moments, and Sara felt her heart sinking.

She hated to have to hurt Donghae like this. He didn’t deserve it. But she couldn’t help how she felt. Right now she didn’t have even the slightest hope of winning Sungmin’s heart after everything that had happened, but she still couldn’t force herself to like Donghae.

 

“I can’t...” Sara began.

 

“Dont say it.” Donghae cut in.

 

“But Donghae...”

 

“Don’t say it! Let’s just pretend we’re a couple for today ok? Just for today. After that you can throw me away.”

 

“I’ll never throw you away Donghae”. Sara said.

He looked up at her hopefully.

 

“I’ll never throw you away, I’ll always be your friend, but we can’t be anything more than that.” She said earnestly.

 

Sara knew that he would be upset, but she wasn’t prepared when he stood up and started walking back and forth, his breath coming out sharply, and his voice breaking.

 

“It’s never going to work out for me, is it? Why are girls always breaking up with me? You’re even doing it on our first date. What’s wrong with me? I feel like I’m reliving every bad moment in my life all over again...”

 

Sara stood up and rushed over to him. She stopped him in his tracks, and held him firmly by the shoulders.

 

“Nothing is wrong with you. You’re perfect just the way you are. Don’t let one or two failures ruin the rest of your life. There are thousands of people all over the world who love you just for being you.”

 

Donghae looked at her and said. “This is why I like you. Even when I’m at my lowest point, you manage to calm me down.”

Sara smiled. “That’s what friends do. They don’t ever leave you. I’m not just another girlfriend Donghae, you can always trust me to be there for you.”

 

He let out a sigh of relief and said “This is what I needed all along. I needed someone like you in my life Sara. Just to be there for me.” He hugged her tightly for a few moments, and then let go.

“Is everything ok between us now?” Sara asked quietly.

 

Donghae nodded slowly. He was about to say something else when his phone rang. He answered it, and then hit his forehead in frustration.

 

“Manager hyung called me over. I have to go.” He said disappointedly. “Will you be ok going home alone?” he asked.

“Ofcourse! I can take care of myself, you get going.” Sara said with a smile.

“Ok, I’ll go first then.” He gave her one more hug, and then left.

 


 

Once he was gone, Sara plopped herself down on her seat and let out an exhausted sigh.

 

She heard someone giggle nearby.

 

“You can come out of your disguise now Oppa.” Sara said tiredly.

“Whoever said I was in disguise?” Heechul asked as he put down a newspaper from in front of his face, and took off his sunglasses.

 

Sara laughed and waved at him from where he was seated a few tables away.

He waved back and then walked over.

 

“Well, I think that went well.” He said while leaning over her table and smirking at her.

 

“Went well?” ‘That what the hardest thing I’ve had to do all year, and you’re saying it just ‘went well”?! Sara shouted back.

 

“Oh dear. Someone needs a drink. Come on, let’s go back to the dorm. If someone see’s me here with you, then we’re going to start another scandal.” Heechul said as he pulled her up onto her feet.

 

“Is it ok for me to go to the dorm?” Sara asked concernedly.

“I live on the floor above Sungmin’s. Don’t worry.” Heechul said offhandedly.

 

“I wasn’t worried about Sungmin!” Sara said as her face went red.

 

Heechul took one look at her cheeks and laughed. “Ofcourse you weren’t darling. I just like mentioning his name around you.”

 

“Ohh you’re evil!” Sara said crossly.

“You know it.” He said with a grin.