"Call me 'Oppa' "

Uri Sarang - Our Love

 

CHAPTER TWO

 

 

_Sara’s POV_

 

When I opened my eyes, I thought I was dreaming. He looked like an angel. His features were perfect. I hoped that he wasn’t one of those ‘I’m so obsessed with myself types’. But when he looked at me, I knew that he wasn’t.  There was honesty in his eyes. And when he smiled at me, it was genuine. A smile that came straight from the heart.

 

 I didn’t know what to do, so I responded to his ‘Hello’, and was shocked when he said that he would be sitting next to me. Oh my God, 11 hours sitting next to this guy? Ah! Ok, calm down. As he put on his seat belt, I tried to sort out my thoughts. His English had abit of an accent to it, so he must be from somewhere else. Is he Korean? Would it be rude of me to ask?

 

I made up my mind and decided to ask him. “I’m Sara” I said, as I held out my hand. He paused for a moment, and then shook my hand. His touch was warm, but I could feel the strength in his arm. “Choi Siwon” he said.

 

“Siwon? Is that a Korean name?” I asked. “Yes”, he said, looking abit surprised. “How did you know?” “Oh, I’ve been studying Hangul for about 5 months now”, I said, giving a small laugh. “Anyeong haseyo! Do you mind if we speak in Hangul? I need all the practice that I can get”, I said while looking at him hopefully. “Sure”, he said. “I don’t mind”. I gave him a big smile and then put on my seat belt as I felt the plane begin to move.

 

_All conversation is now in Korean_

 

I closed my eyes tight as the plane took off. My head was spinning, and my ears hurt. “Are you ok? I heard him ask. I couldn’t look at him because I was too dizzy, so I quickly explained my nausea to him while rooted to the spot. I heard him chuckle. Then he said “Here, have this, you’ll feel better”. I opened my eyes and looked down at his hand. He had a pill and a bottle of water. I gave him a skeptical look and wasn’t sure whether or not to accept.

 

“What? Don’t you trust me?” He asked, looking a bit hurt. I know that it’s not safe to accept medication from strangers, but I was suffering, and there was no way that I could say no to that face. I reached out my hand to take the bottle, but the sudden movement was too much for me. I held my head in pain and tried not to move instead.

 

 “Here, open your mouth”, he said. I was beyond dizzy, and I couldn’t speak, so I just did as I was told. I felt him place the pill in my mouth, and then he held the bottle up to my lips for me to drink. “There, it will get better now, just relax”, he said. I had no idea that I would feel this bad, but I hoped that the medication would work fast.

 

 

_Author’s POV_

 

Siwon felt bad for Sara, but he was overjoyed that she could speak Hangul so well. He felt like she was a dongsaeng who he had to take care off. Ryeowook  also got sick while flying, so he was used to this kind of thing. She looked uncomfortable trying to stay so still, so he removed the arm rest between them and moved abit closer. His shyness was forgotten now. All he wanted was to make her feel better.

 

“Lie down, it won’t hurt as much”, he told her. She slowly opened her eyes and said “where”? So he guided her shoulders down towards his lap. She hesitated at first, but then rested her head just above his knees. Siwon pressed his hand against the side of her head, near her temple, because he knew that must be where it hurt the most. She sighed and then thanked him. “That does feel better, but I don’t think that I can move for awhile, I’m sorry for being such a nuisance,” she said.

 

“That’s all right, don’t worry about it, I’m just glad that I can help” Siwon smiled down at her, even though she couldn’t see him. “She reminds me of Teukie hyung”, he thought. “Fragile on the outside, but strong on the inside”…

 

“Siwon, I can’t tell you how embarrassed I am about this, I feel like I’m taking advantage of your kindness”, she said softly. “Ah, don’t feel embarrassed, we all need someone to take care of us once in awhile, and I just happened to be the lucky one to help you out now”, he said. They both chuckled at that.

 

“Sara, may I ask you your age?” Siwon asked after a few moments. “Sure”, she said. “I’m 20, I’ll be 21 in June. Why? How old are you?”

“I’m 25 this year, you should call me ‘Oppa’”, he said teasingly.

“Oh! I forgot! I’m sorry, I’ve never had anyone to call ‘oppa’ before, I didn’t mean any disrespect”...

Siwon laughed. “That’s okay, relax. So, I’m the first then? That means that I have to take extra special care of you. Are you headed to Korea?

“Yes, I’ll be there for a month, I’ve got a new job there”, she said.

 

“Oh, I see…Sara, one more thing, do you mind if I asked you what your nationality is?” Siwon hesitantly asked her. He was still curious about that.

“Hmm? Oh, I’m half and half. British, and Indian…” she said slowly. “Siwon…Oppa…Why am I so sleepy…?”

Siwon looked down at her in concern. Her eyes were slowly closing. The medication had abit of codine in it for sleep, but it shouldn’t have made her sleep so quickly. After another minute, she was fast asleep. Her body rising and falling in a slow rhythm.  

 

Siwon watched her for awhile and marveled at the way in which she had come into his life. “This is amazing”, he thought. “She’s perfect. British, Indian, and she knows how to speak Hangul. How extraordinary is that?” None of the guys would believe his story.

He shifted a little to place her in a more comfortable position, then he rested his head against his own backrest. “Please let this flight last forever”…he thought as he let his tired mind and body slowly drift off into sleep.