It Wasn't Suppose To Be Him (JeTi)

The Wonders Of Love

Summary:

Jessica was suppose to be Tiffany's wife. Jessica was suppose to be Seohyun and Sulli's in-law. Tiffany wasn't suppose to be wearing the ring he gave her. Tiffany wasn't suppose to be with him. But it's too late. It wasn't suppose to be this way.



The room was quiet, but it was not comfortable. Tiffany saw Seohyun stab into her food a bit too harsh, and she saw Sulli grip her fork and bite her cheek. She could feel the negativity in the atmosphere. 

They should have been conversing with each other. Laughing, smiling, telling stupid jokes and talking about their day. They should have been enjoying their dinner with someone special. Jessica. They should have been spending time with her Jessica. Tiffany felt a fierce gaze on her and raised her head, meeting Seohyun's stare. The younger girl had a fire in her eye, burning because of her anger at her older sister. It's been weeks since Tiffany had told them that she broke up with Jessica. Her heart seemed to clench everytime she thought back to that incident.

Seohyun opened to speak but immediately shut it when all three girls heard the front door open.

Tiffany prayed that it was Jessica.

Her prayers weren't answered.

Instead, Nickhun came into the dining room, smiling at all of the girls and not noticing the tense atmosphere.

"Hey Fany." 

"Hi Nick!" 

Tiffany almost believed her own excitement. Too bad she knew that it was fake.

Nickhun smiled to Seohyun and Sulli and Tiffany gave a pleading look to them, her eyes begging them to at least smile back and reply.

"Hi oppa."

Sulli settled to waving at Nickhun and giving a polite but strained smile. Nickhun took a seat next to Tiffany, the seat that Jessica should have been sitting in. Nickhun picked Tiffany's cheeks and it took all of her will to suppress the flinch. 

"Decided to start eating without me?"

"They got hungry."

Nickhn chuckled, and Tiffany started to miss the more feminine chuckle from a specific brunette. 

Tiffany could feel Sulli glaring at her and she could see Seohyun look at Nickhun acusingly as he ate his dinner with an oblivious expression. Either he was one dense guy, or he was a great actor.

Everyone turned to Seohyun when they heard the chair screech as it was pushed back. Seohyun gave a small forced smile.

"I'm not really hungry since I went to the cafe with Yoona earlier."

Tiffany knew it was a lie. Seohyun stayed home to do a project that was due next week. Sulli nodded and Tiffany found herself doing the same as the younger girl took her plate and walked to the kitchen.

She was going to have to talk to her after Nickhun leaves.

-

Tiffany waved to Nickhun as he got into his car and finally closed the door and releasing a sigh. She was honestly tired. After all of the things that have been happening with Jessica, and then dealing with Nickhun and her sisters, it left her drained after a day of schoolwork.

"And now to deal with Seohyun.."

Tiffany sighed and walked to the girl's room slowly. She was stalling, whether it was for her sake or Seohyun's. She didn't know why the two younger girls had such a hard time accepting Nickhun.

Yet, she was the one having the hardest time.

Tiffany knocked on Seohyun's door twice before twisting the knob and walking in. There, she found Seohyun and Sulli lounging on the bed while doing their own things.

"Seohyun—"

"If you're going to lecture me again, might as well just leave."

Tiffany was surprised by the sudden rudeness. Seohyun was always a subtle girl, who would be mad and glare at someone, but she wouldn't actually say something or even do something to them. It seemed like Sulli was also surprised.

"Why is it so hard for you to accept him?"

"Why is it so hard for you to understand?"

Ouch. That hurt. More than it should have.

"He's a good guy! He's polite, charming, a gentleman that everyone would want!"

"Would. And you forgot that there are gay people out there."

Tiffany's eye twitched and she could feel her blood boil. But still, she kept calm for her sisters' sake.

"Seohyun, just telll me why is it so hard for you?"

"Because 'unnie' he's not Sica unnie. He isn't Sica, who is rude but polite at the right moments. Because he's not charming the way Sica unnie was, and because he wasn't a gentleman like Sica unnie was, who opened the door for you and did all of those things but still remained feminine."

Tiffany found herself missing those times as she heard Seohyun take a deep breath, but didn't manage to say anything else.

"He didn't care for us like how Sica unnie did."

Tiffany looked at Sulli, who had spoken up.

"He didn't treat us to a special dinner every weekend. He didn't joke around with us as freely as she did. He wasn't the one we expected, and he damn right was not the one we want."

They both had cornered her with their honest reasons and Tiffany was stuck. They were right. Even if Tiffany tried, she couldn't love him the way she loved Jessica. But it was too late.

She could feel her tears spill out as the two younger girls came up to her and hugged her. They wouldn't understand how she felt, but at least they had tried.

-

It was 6 months later, that Nickhun had finally proposed. In reality, Tiffany would have thought that was too early, but he was so passionate with his words that she did not have any heart to say no.

Word got around quickly and somehow, she had managed to bump into Jessica, after many months of avoiding her, and froze when the two met each other's eyes. Jessica's eyes widened and she opened but closed it.

Tiffany swallowed a lump in . Jessica still looked beautiful. Her hair wasn't blonde anymore, instead it was a brown, a soft chestnut brown. Her eyes were still the beautiful chocolate brown that always caught her attention and Tiffany honestly wanted to push her against a wall and kiss her.

But Tiffany also noticed the dark circles under the older girl's eyes. And how the normally bright eyes were dull. Tiffany felt a pang in her chest and finally spoke up.

"I–we–"

Tiffany took a deep breath and looked at Jessica straight in the eyes.

"It's been a long time hasn't it Jessica?"

Damn it. What happened to Jessi?

"..Yes it has."

Tiffany bit her lips and she saw Jessica's eyes flicker lower.

"How.. How have you been?"

"I'm surviving."

That hurt. A lot. And it was driving Tiffany crazy.

"I heard that you're engaged now."

Tiffany stiffly nodded and saw Jessica force a small smile.

Oh Jessica, if only you knew that I can still see through you.

"Please don't act like you're okay with it."

Jessica was surprised by the sudden desperate voice.

"Please don't pretend. I know you're hurting and it's killing me."

Tiffany's voice cracked as she said the last two words. She forgot that they were still in public and now everyone was starting to stare.

"I–Can we please talk somewhere else?"

Jessica chewed on her lips and nodded.

"We can go to my studio.. Or–"

"No! That's fine, we'll go there.."

Jessica nodded and started walking.

"It's not that far from here.."

Tiffany followed Jessica wordlessly as they walked to Jessica's studio. Tiffany almost let out a smile as she remembered all of the times that Jessica playfully took pictures of her sleeping.

'You fool. You let her slip away.'

"Shut up."

Jessica glanced back with a confused expression and Tiffany waved her hand. She really had to stop doing that. Even better, she needed to get rid of the voice in her head.

'Now she thinks you're crazy.'

'Now I'm just gonna ignore you.'

'Not like you can, I'm a part of you. I'm the guilt you wear everyday.'

Tiffany ignored the voice instead of arguing back, not like she had an argument against that anyway. As she was talking to herself, she bumped into Jessica and gave a sheepish smile.

"Sorry! I wasn't paying attention.."

"Just like before."

Tiffany's smile dropped and she stared at Jessica.

Oh God, how she felt so guilty. She seriously wanted to kiss her right now.

"Um. Anyway, here we are I guess. It's not that much.."

Tiffany followed Jessica into the room and gaped.

And she says that this isn't much.

The room was a pretty big size, and there seemed to be doors leading to other rooms. The room was surrounded on one side by two white leather couches and coffee tables stood in front of them, holding neatly piled magazines. There was a blank white screen set up and behind it, there were a variety of items jumbled up in a pile.

Tifany couldn't even say anything until Jessica cleared .

"Oh! Sorry."

Tiffany scratched her nape and straightened herself up.

"It's a great studio, still neat as usual."

Jessica smiled politely and Tiffany could see some glee in her eyes.

"Thank you."

As the room became silent again, the atmosphere became awkward and Tiffany could feel the angst in the air.

She really was pretty stupid for making Jessica invite her here.

"Jessi..ca.."

Tiffany gritted her teeth. It didn't feel right calling the girl in front of her Jessica. It was always Jessi and Jess.

Oh right. Break up.

"I.. I'm sorry for wasting your time. I can't tell you what I want to tell you."

Tiffany her heels and started heading to the entrance before she felt a hand on her wrist pull her back and soft lips smash on to hers.

Wait what? This isn't happening right? She's engaged. Engaged to someone she pretends she loves.

Tiffany wants to push back. To at least let Jessica have a chance of moving on. But Stephanie is selfish and imperfect. She wants Jessica. She doesn't want Jessica to move on. She wants to throw her ring away and run from the world with Jessica.

And sometimes,

Stephanie wins.

Tiffany immediately kisses back as she is pushed to a nearby wall and pinned. She doesn't care. The only thing that matters is Jessica, and that she was here with her and not to mention kissing her. 

It felt like heaven to feel the familiar thin and soft lips on hers. The ones that used to give her soft nips and pecks. The ones that whispered loving words to her in the middle of the night.

To Jessica, she just missed Stephanie as a whole. 

Not Tiffany.

Stephanie.

Stephanie, who was her childhood friend. Stephanie who would only show herself to Jessica. Stephanie, who was selfish at the correct moments but selfless at other times.

And when they both heard the door click open, Jessica jumped back and Tiffany in a big breath and started fixing herself up.

"Hey Sica and Fany."

Tiffany looked to the door as the taller girl walked by, but then she abruptly stopped.

"Wait. Sica and Fany!?"

"Yuri, not too loud."

Yuri blinked and looked at the two girls, switching from one to another every few seconds. Tiffany gave a small wave and acted as normal as she could.

"Um. Hi Yuri.."

"Wait.. Why.. Did you-w—"

Yuri shut and inhaled from her nose.

"OKAY, WHAT THE HELL IS HAPPENING HERE!?"

Tiffany flinched unconsciously and stared at the floor. 

She shouldn't have came here.

She didn't deserve the right to explain. About anything.

"Yuri, we just bumped into each other while doing our own business and we just talked. Calm down."

"But Sica! she broke your—"

"Enough Yuri. You're being rude."

"No, please. Yuri, continue what you were saying."

The two dumbfounded girls stared at Tiffany, who had a fierce gaze on them, but her eyes were desperate.

Yuri wasn't going to let this chance down.

"You! You broke her heart! And you have the gall to just come back into her life like this and act like everything is normal!?"

'She's so right on this.'

This was what Tiffany had needed secretly. She needed someone to tell her off. Someone close to her to yell at her in anger.

She didn't know if she blamed herself for acting like such a masochist, or if she blamed everyone else.

"Yur—"

"No Sica! She told me to continue so I will!

You, who betrayed her,

you, who played with her heart,

you, the girl who was her best friend and lover toyed her!"

Tiffany saw how Yuri was fuming. 

'You deserve whatever ounce of insults you get.'

And that's the thing.

She knew it was true.

Letting out a bitter but satisfied smile, she opened to speak.

"I will never be the same person again. So please, don't ever take back those words, and don't ever try to bring me back."

And with that, she left the two girls, with a heavy heart and a satisfied mind.

-

It was a dreadfully quick wait as time flew by and the wedding was scheduled for next week. Although begrudgingly, her friends helped her pick out her dress and helped her prepare everything.

She knew that they all heard about what happened, months before.

When she saw Jessica again, and how Yuri verbally assaulted her.

And she was glad that they didn't take her words for granted. They never took back the words that they had said behind her back, and they had never, not even once, tried to bring the old Tiffany back.

"So, are you.. Excited?"

Oh right, she was having a small 'friendly' lunch with Jessica.

"As excited as I can be, to be honest."

"Is that.. Good?"

"Depends on how happy I am about this."

Tiffany leaned back in her chair and stared out the cafe window.

"How happy are you, then?"

Tiffany looked back at Jessica with honest eyes.

"In all honesty?"

She saw a short nod.

Tiffany laughed bitterly.

'Don't lie this time.'

"Not happy at all."

Jessica was stunned and froze. She barely registered what was happening in front of her eyes as Tiffany called for the check and paid for it in full, before giving a sad smile and leaving.

If she wasn't happy, then why is she marrying him?

Jessica bolted out of the cafe door and looked around, desperately searching for the girl. 

If this isn't the old Tiffany, then she was bound to do something rash.

"!"

Jessica took out her phone and began calling all of her friends.

She wasn't going to lose Tiffany.

Not again.

-

Tiffany sat on the edge of the roof, her feet dangling over the ledge as she stared into the ocean in front of her.

It was beautiful. The water twinkling from the sun that shined upon it. At least she'd see something beautiful before her end.

She turned around when she heard the patter of multiple footsteps and stood up. She heard slight swearing and amusing comments.

"Who the hell puts a building right next to the ing ocean!?"

"Forget about that, who ing needs so many stairs!?"

The door to the roof bolted open as they all shuffled out, all with panting breaths and worried eyes.

"Hi guys."

Tiffany already knew they were going to come here, but she didn't know that they would rush like that.

"Fany, what are you doing at the ledge?"

Tiffany shrugged and smiled, unfazed at the question.

"Nothing really, Taeng. Just staring at the ocea."

Taeyeon cringed at how overly sweet her name sounded coming out of the girl in front of her.

"Fany-ah, step away from the edge.."

"But why Sunny? I can't see the ocean well if I don't stand here.."

Sunny looked like she was about to cry. Her eyes were glazing over.

"Unnie, please come over here."

"Yes, please unnie. We can talk over here."

"But I don't want to talk over there. I'm fine right here."

Seohyun and Sulli had tears streaming down their faces, as Krystal and Yoona tried to soothe them.

"Fany, come on don't be stubborn. Just come over here."

"Yes, away from the edge."

"Fany, please, we love you. Come over here."

Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Yuri pleaded but Tiffany still smiled. They wanted to cry. The way Tiffany was smiling wasn't the same.

"Steph."

Tiffany's smile dropped and her eyes found Jessica's. The girl looked so fragile, but so strong.

"Please. Just come over here."

Her hair had turned a lighter shade of brown from the sun and Tiffany let out a truthful smile.

The ocean wasn't beautiful.

Jessica was.

"At least, I got to see the most beautiful thing before I died."

Jessica's tears streamed out while Tiffany finally smiled. 

Tiffany finally smiled her real smile.

"Jessi.. You're so beautiful."

And with that, she stepped back, and off the ledge. She saw everyone running to where she was standing and heard yells. But her eyes were only on one person.

Jessica was beautiful in the sunlight.

Tiffany felt the harsh pain on her back as she hit the water, but her smile didn't waver.

Jessica kneeled in the spot Tiffany stood, just moments ago while the rooftop was in chaos. Seohyun and Sulli were sobbing, blaming themselves for letting this happen. And Sunny.. The poor girl was shocked stiff. Yoona and Krystal were about to burst in tears but tried their best to soothe their lovers. Taeyeon.. She didn't know what to do after witnessing her best friend step off the ledge, and all she could do was stare at Sunny. Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, and Yuri were in a better condition and called for help. And Jessica..

Jessica watched as Tiffany's body sink into the water. She saw how Tiffany's smile and gaze never left her.

Tiffany thought of only one thing before she lost consciousness.

Jessica only thought of one thing as she stared at the ocean.

Tiffany,

Jessica, 

was an angel in disguise all along.

fin.

 

AN: GUYS GUYS, IM SO SRRY FOR MAKING SUCH A SAD FIC. honestly i was traumatized yesterday cause my friend just fell and had a seizure in front of me and the shock just sort of paralyzed me. everything hit me after she left. but anyway, hope u guys enjoyed this oneshot, even tho its ing sad. sob. im so srry. but i was in an angsty mood. yayyyy we can start on yoonyul now ;D see you later gays<3