Red and Black

His name is Leo

I called in a delivery since Leo nudges me for my attention every time I tried to cook.  I suppose he doesn’t like being ignored, while I need a lot of concentration to put together a decent lunch. Since the delivery wouldn’t be here in any less than an hour, I thought to myself that I would teach Leo how to draw. Since he is a bit shy with words, let’s see if he can pull off a decent picture.

He followed me as I grab my drawing kit—all the sketch books, the coloring pencil, and all the drawing utensils—with curiosity growing while I walk around the house. We settled on the dining table and I set the drawing kit before him, then as usual he looked at me in this clueless gaze.

“Look… you use these colors to draw. See?” I took out a red pencil and draw a star on a blank paper. A simple star, the kind an elementary school kids drew. Then the bell rang and I ran off to take our delivered lunch, then I paid the delivery guy and he sets off. I ran back to Leo after unpacking the lunch boxes I bought, and I had to freeze where I stand for a bit.

There on the blank paper I left for Leo, was drawn a picture consisting of only the color red and black. I took the paper after setting our plates on the table, and admired the drawing. It was a human form in a darkened room. Bleeding all over, hands tied on the wall as he seems crucified. I didn’t dare to think that it was Leo in that scary room.

Leo seemed to ignore my reaction as he sniffed the plateful of food I set in front of him. I sat next to him, told him to study my moves as I eat with a spoon. He nodded, and although he tried his best, he spilled most of the food he scooped. Nonetheless, he ate a lot with a happy attitude and that would be sufficient for now…

I no longer have any appetite to eat.