'Leo' - "I'm not Leo...."

His name is Leo

My little lady kept on crying as she poured her heart out about an old memory. Just like the one before. I don’t really understand this world, but a ‘bully’ doesn’t exactly sound very nice to my ear. That’s what those guys are. Them and their ‘girlfriend’. Why do people hate my little lady so much? Aileen said people hate her because she is a solitary being. She doesn’t go to school often and she oftentimes looks like a mess when she finally does. People think of her lowly, without even understanding her story.

So many things I do not understand in this world.

Aileen forced herself to breath slower and stops her crying as her breaths turns shallow by every minute. She seemed to be in so much pain....

I didn’t…. I can’t do anything. I want to do more without even entering her mind, but I can’t. I can’t even show her how much I want to hug her tight and let her cry in my arms, because it would scare her. I know. She thinks of me as ‘Leo’ who knew nothing about this world. Leo who can’t speak and understands nothing. I am not him, Aileen…

I wish I could tell you without scaring you, Aileen…

She forced herself a dry, raspy laugh as she take out something that looks like a small pipe out of her pocket. “This is an inhaler,” she said. “People with asthma need this when they can’t breathe properly,” she said as she placed on one end of the pipe in and inhales deeply while pressing a button on the other end. Her breathing becomes calmer and steadier. Does that thing help you? Something not even alive could help you out. Why not me? Why can’t I?

Aileen leans in and rests her forehead on my chest, her eyes shut and her hands clasping mine. “I feel so weak… I never knew that something that happened so long ago still have power over myself,” she sniffled and mumbled, “I don’t like my life…”

Her words trail off at the end of her sentence. Again, I feel so useless.

If I couldn’t make the one I love so much want to stay alive, what’s the use of me?

“Leo…?” she called slowly, more like an inaudible whimper as she looked up to me. “Can I sleep in with you tonight?” she whispers lowly. I nodded as excited as I could, as Leo usually does. Aileen sneaks in to the side by the wall, and tug on the covers to cover her small frame. At times like this, Aileen who always looks like she knew everything and handles anything, looks so small and frail. She had her inhaler in her small hands as she curled up, and I lay next to her on my back. She lied on her side and faces me as she cover me with her blanket, and hold onto one of my arms before shutting her sparkling eyes tightly. “Goodnight,” was the last words she whispered before she fades off to her own land of dreams, leaving me still wide awake.

I want to make sure the beings that cause her nightmares are away.

Both from this world and mine, I will fight them.

                                                                                                *             *             *

That night, I fell asleep after hauling Aileen’s nightmares away. Her ghosts are strong and intimidating… maybe because she had so much fear they could feed on? Regardless, I won.

There is no way in this world a demon would lose to any being.

Even a half-blooded being like me.