I Hate School

His name is Leo

“Do you know that I hate school?” I asked, although knowing the latter won’t answer as he delves in his own world of looking at my old paintings and scribbling things on his own on the floor. Leo finished the big portion of lunch I made earlier in delight, and I’m now changing his bandages again as I gave him those colorful distractions. He sat there without his top, letting me clean his wounds as he scan through everything in his hands. I let all the coloring utensils scatter around him, and hide the black and red colors to distract him even more as this being confuse himself while looking for the colors he want.

“I really hate school. Everyone look at me in disgust… although I didn’t do anything wrong.” I sighed, patting the half closed wound on his back with antiseptic. “Especially that one. That one senior who thinks she knew everything going on in my family… when she knows nothing. Nothing at all.” Without knowing, a drop of tear runs down my cheek, and I wipe it using my sleeve. Forcing out a laugh before Leo notice anything, I wrapped Leo’s wounds in bandages and finish my work before putting his sweater back on.

I sat behind Leo as he scribbles still, and rested my head against his shoulder. “You won’t get anything that I say, will you?” heaving out a heavy sigh, I continue anyway. “I used to have friends too. I used to like school… it’s the only place without dad. But now… it’s the place that reminds me of dad even more.”

Leo suddenly bows forward after I finish my words, making my head topple backwards in gravity. Holding my fall using both elbows, I turn to look at Leo, who’s now proudly showing me a childish scribble he made. Its nowhere near the quality of yesterday’s drawing, but it made me smile. I take the paper from his hands and he sat there hugging his knees as he watched me examining the scribble.

Leo drew every single perfume bottle on my rack. Every shape, size and color, he tried best to draw it. I know he does, because he has this sparkle in his eyes. The same sparkle he showed me when he could eat using a spoon and a fork. The same sparkle when I told him he’s a good boy for staying in his room.

That sparkle in his eyes that wanted to show so badly that he succeeded something. The sparkle that saddens me because he seemed so much more of a pet than of a human being….

“You did well, Leo.” I smiled and ruffled his hair, and he delightedly leans more to my touch. “It’s alright, Leo… you did well. You always did well…” his lips curved more upwards than it does yesterday and it made me happy.

I wonder what’s on his mind right now…