A Day Out with Leo - 2

His name is Leo

 I get Leo in the mirror house after lunch, where most of the time he scare himself out by the different shapes and sizes his reflection came out on the mirrors. He bumped on a few glass too by accident, and I have to bandage his forehead when we got out because he got himself a cut. “You just can’t get yourself out of stuffs for just a while, huh? Burns, scalds, bruises, cuts. Leo, what would you be without me?” he frowned and I patted his head playfully to make sure it’s just a joke, and he nuzzled against my touch. Leo must not see me unhappy. I’ve got to find something to distract Leo. I looked around desperately when I spot a cotton candy stand. That’s it. Sweets. “Leo, do you want sweets?” hearing the word sweets, he looked at me and nodded excitedly. I pulled on his hand and we walked to the nearest cotton candy stand. I get him the biggest cotton candy available, and he held it in his hands, sniffing the strawberry scent wafting out of the fluffy sweet treat. “Go on, eat up. It’s edible! Eat it, yes, like that!” heartily laughing a not really fake one as I see him struggle against the fluffy treat to get a taste, he made a mess out of himself as I get him seated.

“Leo, I’m going to go get us drinks, you wait here, okay? Don’t wander alone anywhere,” I patted his head as I told him to stay, and he nodded as he still struggled with his cotton candy. Some girls about my age pass by and whispers stuffs about Leo, which he seemed to not understand, but it annoys me when someone talk crap about Leo. “Here, you messy thing,” I pulled out a handkerchief and wiped his sugar stained lips as he whimpered, disliking to be interrupted of eating. Those girls would never understand Leo; neither would they understand the relationship I have with this childish Leo. I hate to know that people look at Leo weirdly, just because he’s a messy eater and he doesn’t speak.

Frustrated, I went away to get us both some drinks.

I bought us both coffees. I bought a sweet chocolate latte for Leo; and a stronger macchiato for myself. Looking around to make sure the same bunch of guys did not recognize me here—

“Oooh. The rich lady of the house liar,” that voice. Shocked, I turned around to see him—the same person who made my Saturdays a hell years ago.

“M-- Mark,” I said gulping my own fear and trying hard to not stutter.

“Well hello, Aileen,” he mockingly lean in as his lips only a breath away from mine, making me freeze in fear. “You don’t go to the lessons anymore. Where have you been?” I tried hard to look as brave as I could, keep a steady gaze as I gave him no answer. “Busy with your new disabled boyfriend?” my heart just jumped in its cage. He saw Leo. “He’s not disabled, Mark,” I managed to spit out, without stuttering.

“Oh really? He seemed disabled enough for me, not being able to talk and all. Now what, eating cotton candy while his girl is here getting coffee?” I could see the shadows of Mark’s boys approaching Leo’s seat, the latter only keep on eating his cotton candy without even noticing what is on. Run, Leo. Get up. Run, go!

“Don’t disturb Leo,” I had my palms in fists as he tucked my chin up using his disgusting fingers, forcing me to look straight into his eyes. “Why should I listen to you, again?” he grinned his disgusting grin. I force myself to swat his hand and look away, my chest heaving up and down in anger as spectators start to gather to the commotion I created. “Tch. A coward as ever,” he signaled his boys to back off from Leo and he went away slowly, taking his time to enjoy the pain plastered on my face. “I’ll go for now. But, I’ll see you around, little Aileen,” I snatched both my drinks and toss in a bill, before trotting off to return to Leo.

“Is Leo okay?” I stuttered as I get to his seat, Leo still looking as blank as he ever is. He nodded and I sat next to him, putting the drinks between us. “Take one that you like,” he nodded as I lift both drinks still unknowing of what had just happened and how he could be in danger too. Leo hand me the chocolate latte as he delightedly drink my macchiato. I forced yet another laugh, and ruffled his hair as he gulp down the iced drink. “Leo likes coffee?” I pointed to the drink and he nods, a happy sparkle bright in his eyes.

Good.

At least one of us is happy today….