Six

The Letters from That Boy

six;


Drama Queen,

Siwon is simply one of a kind. You can’t find someone else as weird as he is. But I repeat, he still is a good friend when the time calls for it. Not like my stupid so-called best friend. I sometime think it’s time for me to revamp my friend list.

Shut up about me cheating this History test already, you little ! One day I’ll cheat for real and you’ll have to kneel in front of me because I’m such an amazing guy.

I know that uality is a sensitive topic. I went through this, too. Thankfully, my family took it rather well; my sister is being a about it but that’s her everyday-personality, and my parents don’t care as long as I’m happy, so I guess I’m pretty lucky.

 

Yeah, I do know that there’s a soccer match next week. Are you a member of the team, since you said “our”? The team is brilliant both offensively and defensively, so I think they have high hopes of winning. But why don’t you like the team captain, though? He’s a very nice bloke, and also one of the best strikers that is.

 

- A-fervent-Hyuk-captain-supporter

 

P.S: I’m getting better, thank you! I should be able to go to school on Monday.

 

“Aren’t you boasting about yourself a little bit too much in there?” Kyuhyun sniffs contemptuously after finishing reading the letter Hyukjae has just wrote.

 

“Technically, he doesn’t know that it’s me, right?” the redhead student happily retorts. “So it’s not like it’s really important.”

 

“Hmm.” The younger rereads the letter skeptically before he snatches the pen out of his fingers. “Give me this, you horrible donkey.”

 

P.P.S: I’m not stupid and he can kick me out of his friend list whenever he wants. See if I care.

The exceptionally gifted best friend.

 

=

 

Two days after, Hyukjae is finally back on his feet and almost completely healthy again. After arguing with his mother for half an hour, he finally convinced her that he’s now well enough to go back to school.

It’s not exactly that he doesn’t like to stay at home and do basically nothing, but his mother tends to get carried away when he’s sick, and it sometime gets a little bit suffocating. Therefore, he’s more than happy to be out of his house on Thursday morning, heading to school with a happy grin plastered on his face.

Today is going to be a good day, Hyukjae is sure of it; first, he has managed yesterday to convince Kyuhyun to post his letter for the second time this week (it’s like asking the younger to borrow one of his precious games, so he's pretty proud), and secondly, there’s soccer practice this afternoon after school and he simply can’t wait for it. He’s been the team captain for two years now, after his sunbae graduated from high school and went to study in a big university, and he can’t be any happier about it. He loves soccer and is proud of his whole team. And it’s even better because Donghae quitted the team last year, he thinks with satisfaction.

Well, he has to sigh under his breath as he finally reaches the high school. To be honest, Donghae is a terribly good player, almost as good as he is, and it has been an enormous lost for the team. But apparently, the Golden Fish had personal issue at that time and couldn’t make it anymore. It truthfully was a shame because Donghae is a talentedly vicious forward.

His expression turning gloomy, he sends a glare in Donghae’s direction as soon as he spots him standing under the porch of the main building, hands in hands with his girlfriend. When the latter notices him back, there’s that familiar sneer that forms on his thin lips before they’re fiercely glaring at each other. Then Hara whispers something at his ear to gain his attention back, and the second after they’re making out heatedly, the redhead student completely forgotten.

it, Hyukjae grumbles inwardly. Even if the two of them used to make a freakishly talented pair of players when they used to play together, he still really doesn’t like him.

 

=

 

Hyukjae looks speculatively at his teammates running their fourth lap around the high school sport field, wondering if his penpal is someone among them. It could be, he rationalizes. After all, the guy did say our team, which meant he could be a part of it. But on the other hand, it could also simply means that he wants to show his solidarity to the soccer team.

At the other end of the field, Hyukjae sees Kris playfully pushing Henry into the bushes and mud, before stupidly losing his own balance and ending up sprawled over the other boy. The other teammates (Kangin and Shindong) roar in laughter at them before it suddenly turns into a big mess of childish kids playing in dirt. Although they’re good players, they still are quite dumb and careless for high schoolers. They all look stupid and Hyukjae has to sigh in slight exasperation.

He really hopes his penpal is not one of them.

 

=

 

Donghae was lazily laying on one of the high school park bench, his head resting on Hara’s lap while they chat quietly. As he idly turns a page of the book he’s trying to read at the same time, he hears the sounds of steps coming their way and looks up in mild curiosity (it’s a really warm day and it’s making him feel lazier than usual); Sungmin is standing in front of them, his shadow partially covering a part of his face. He grimaces with slight annoyance until he spots the letter in his hands.

 

“Ah,” he mutters but holds himself back from saying anything else, because there’s still Hara next to him, and as much as he seems to like her, he really doesn’t want her to know about his penpal.

 

Not that he doesn’t trust her, or anything, really. She’s his girlfriend, after all.

 

His best friend eyes him with amusement while he’s obviously wondering whether he should take it now or wait a little bit until Hara would be gone. But he really wants to read it though, so in the end, he stands up and pecks his girlfriend’s lips with an apologetic smile.

 

“Need to go,” he mumbles. “Uh – homework and essay, and other boring stuff, you know? See you later!”

 

She doesn’t have the time to respond that he’s already gone with Sungmin, eagerly snatching the letter out of his hands. 

 

=

 

A-fervent-Monkey-captain-supporter,

 

Kyuhyun barks in laughter, slapping Hyukjae’s back too violently for his liking. “I like this guy!”

 

Shut up,” he hisses and curtly takes the letter back.

 

True, Siwon is a nice guy. But it’s funnier to make fun of his weird quirks than the fact that he’s probably the best son-in-law out there (don’t tell him I said that). If I had a sister, I’m one hundred percent sure mom would have done her very best to put them up together. Which is kind of really disgusting, if you ask me.

Your best friend seems like a nice guy…? I mean, if he’s still reading our letters (why is he reading our letters?), then of course I shall say that he’s very, very nice (and apparently gifted?) and I’d like to meet him someday (we both know what I really think of him, though). Tell him I said hi!

 

My parents don’t know about my biuality. Mom probably has her suspicions but we never really talked about it. I think it’s because I really don’t want to disappoint them. Only my big brother knows about it, and it actually was a big, big accident that I wish could never have happened.

 

I’m not anymore, at the very least. I used to play in the team but then I had some issues that forced me to quit. I was very sad about it. Of course I still play for fun with the kids of my neighborhood! And about the team captain, I kind of know him (but not that much) and he’s a big show off.

 

- D-who-is-sorry-to-break-your-dreams

 

P.S: I got a 84 out of 100 for the History test! How great is that? And I'm very glad you're doing better!

 

“Well, you are a big show off,” Kyuhyun comments conversationally. “He’s not that wrong about your personality.”

 

Shut the up, you prick.”

 

=

 

Jealous you,

My best friend reads our letter because he’s the biggest bully alive, and I can’t do anything to stop him when he goes for it. I still don’t understand how he managed to get himself a boyfriend. I feel like I’m the only single one out of the whole high school, now. Why me.

It's true that talking about one's uality with their own parents is probably the most awkward thing ever. But no, do tell me what's this big accident about? I'm all ears for you, dearest. That'd be something else I'll tell your girlfriend when I meet her!

 

That’s a shame. Maybe you could try applying this year? Since Hyuk-captain is a really nice guy, I’m sure he’ll take your demand in consideration. How do you know him, though? And he’s not a big show off, ok. Everybody should be confident about their own qualities.

The match is this week-end! Fighting Gangnam High!

 

Anyway, what are you doing for vacations?

 

- Hyuk’s honor-savior.

 

P.S: Great for you! I got 87 out of 100!

 

=

 

The high school pitch is full with hundreds of students that have gathered to watch the game between Gangnam high and Jaengu high. Half the crowd is grey while the other half is blue. Banners and flags are flying high as the audience waits anxiously for the teams to set foot on the grass. There’s some students walking up and down the aisle to sell bags of candy and drinks, and Donghae takes this opportunity to buy a Coke (he loves Coke). The team mascots are zooming in and out of the crowds, throwing small stuff at the supporters. Donghae, Sungmin and Hara are seated at a very good spot, near the first rows of benches.

 

“This game better be worth it, Oppa,” he hears Hara mutter under her breath as she glares at the field.

 

But Donghae pays her no real attention, only distractedly leaning over to peck her pouting lips, until the players finally stroll down the pitch from opposite ends. Despite the game only being a friendly one between two high schools, the screaming of fervors coming from both sides are strong and impressive.

Even Donghae can’t help yelling his support as Hyukjae, who’s wearing the high school blue shirt, firmly shakes hands with the opposite team’s captain, the both of them defiantly staring at each other. The referee (who actually is a PE professor) quickly reminds them of the basic rules before he gives a strong whistle blast. Immediately, the two teams scatter around the wide pitch, and the game finally begins.

For the first twenty minutes, Donghae intently watches his old teammates passing the ball to each other and trying to find an opportunity to strike. It’s subtle but he can see them slowly approaching the other half of the pitch toward the opposite team. Finally, after a quick yell from Hyukjae, three of them including the latter are zooming down the field, looking unstoppable. The Jaengu High students scream in alarm while Donghae’s classmates cheer loud enough to end up hoarse.

When Henry passes the ball in Hyukjae’s direction, the redhead student makes a tricky pass to avoid the defender. The second after, he aims in direction of the goal and kicks right through the goalie. Gangnam High students start cheering loudly again, and Donghae can’t help joining them.

He might not like Hyukjae very much, but he’s a damn good striker.

And pretty hot, too, a treacherous voice whispers in his head when he accidentally catches a glimpse of Hyukjae’s strong and sweaty arm muscles.

 

…Shut up, brain.

 

The game ends with 3-2 on Gangnam High’s favor, which cast the loudest scream of triumph coming from the student Donghae has never heard in his life (well maybe he did, but that’s not the point). He also has gotten off on his feet without even realizing it, looking flushed and ruffled from the excitement of the game. Cheering loudly along with his classmates, he looks at Hyukjae smiling happily and proudly as he jogs back to his team. They’re not far away from them and he’s sure that if he yells loud enough, they can hear him.

Then, he suddenly finds single-lidded eyes staring back at him. Donghae’s grin falters as they size each other up. In the end, he decides it’s not the day to bicker endlessly like they usually do because they just won an amazing game, and Hyukjae deserves to be complimented. So in the end, he gives him a hesitant thumbs up.

The redhead student blinks at him in disbelief before he glances at the ball at his feet. Donghae can see the familiar smirk play on the corners of his lips, until he looks up again. Smirking smugly, he sticks his tongue out at him and kicks the ball in his direction.

He then turns around and leaves the pitch, surrounded by his teammates.

Donghae only has the time to catch the ball before he’s staring at the empty space where Hyukjae has been only seconds earlier, gaping comically. Next to him, Sungmin is snickering behind his hand while Hara looks as bored as ever.

 

“Did – Why did he do that?” he mumbles helplessly.

 

Sungmin can only laugh louder.


WHY DO YOU THINK, STUPID.

crappy chapter is crappy, haha. Half proofread, sorry if mistakes.

 

Thank yah guys for reading! Hope you liked this chapter, please remember to comment, subscribe, upvote, etc. etc. ;)