Seventeen

The Letters from That Boy

seventeen;


Needless to say that when their classmates see Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae going to high school together the next day, without actually fighting or strangling each other, the only word that comes to their mind to describe their state of mind is shock – and even then, it still sounds a bit weak, to be honest. Maybe astonishment is better.

Or nightmare, too.

It’s eight o’clock in the morning (which means that nobody is awake enough to live this kind of traumatizing experience yet) and the weather is absolutely horrible, but here they are, laughing and chatting together as if they have been friends for years. Which definitely is not the case, because it’s common knowledge within the high school that they hate each other. Hell, even the teaching staff is aware of it.

But despite all the strong beliefs they thought they could rely on, the two most popular boys had to ruin everything.

It’s odd, and strange, and bizarre, and so many other things that leave the high school students and the teachers completely dumbfounded.

Because apparently, Lee Donghae and Lee Hyukjae – self-proclaimed mutual enemies since freshman year in the middle of the cafeteria, after a dreadful event involving a pack of strawberry milk – are now friends.

 

The end of the world might be sooner than expected, after all.

 

=

 

Hyukjae wonders if he is supposed to feel amused or annoyed.

Yawning a little, he slumps down in his chair as his eyelids threaten to fall close own their own, and tentatively looks around the classroom. And sure enough, all his classmates are still staring at him as if a second head has grown overnight on his body without him knowing. It’s a bit creepy, to be honest, even if the attention is still pleasing. He understands to a certain extent that him being friendly with Donghae is somewhat surprising, but is it really a good reason to eyeball him as if he was a freak? No.

And anyway, he huffs explosively and petulantly crosses his arms over his chest. It’s not like he actually cares about what they think. Whether they find it shocking or not is their problem, and as long as he can stay friends (his stomach embarrassingly makes a few excited leaps at the word, but he can’t find it in himself to care) with Donghae as much as he wants to, then everything is fine by him.

Seemingly satisfied with his reasoning, he lets out a smug grin – until he remembers that they’re about to have Chemistry class.

He really hates Chemistry class.

 

=

 

Dickhae: hyuk

Hyuk-wit: what I’m in class right now

Dickhae: please it’s not like you actually pay attention to the lesson.

Hyuk-wit: ......true. so what is it?

Dickhae: I’m :(

Hyuk-wit: ..........it’s not even ing nine in the morning, what the hell is there to be about??

Dickhae: well I was bored in class, so I started to think about other things, and then of you and the letters. I remembered that you said you found it hot that I jerked off in the bathroom because of the thing .....and then I thought of the actual thing and now I just ---................

Dickhae: I want to have now ;A;

Hyuk-wit: ...ARE YOU SERIOUS LEE DONGHAE YOU’RE SUCH A ING TEASE

Dickhae: I know 8D but doesn’t really change the fact that I want to be ed :(((((

 

=

 

“Well,” Sungmin snorts amusedly upon reading the texts Donghae has just received. “That escalated quickly, isn’t it? I really can’t believe how stupid the both of you are.”

 

Whipping around on his chair, the brunette student sends an outraged glare at his best friend, and if it isn’t for the fact that they currently are in class (and that Sungmin knows martial arts), he’d have already punched him. “It’s all your fault anyway,” he hisses lowly and makes sure that the teacher isn’t paying attention to them. “I wouldn’t have been stuck in this mess if you didn’t drag me in the penpal club in the first place, you !”

 

Sungmin scoffs haughtily and smugly leans back in his chair, raising a seriously- eyebrow at him. “But you like it, don’t you?”

 

This time, Donghae doesn’t really know how to retort, even if he’s pissed and would really like to smack some sense in that thick skull (he suspects Kyuhyun-the-new-boyfriend to be the reason of it all). Blinking a little and biting on his lower lip, he grumbles under his breath but doesn’t say anything else, which earns him an amused giggle.

 

=

 

At the worst timing ever (which means in the middle of Chemistry class when he’s seated right in front of the teacher), Hyukjae suddenly realizes that being friends with Donghae also means getting boners at the most unexpected moments.

And all he can do is press his palm over the aching bulge of his jeans, because really – Donghae is such a ing tease.

 

=

 

Hey Hyuk,

Seohyun came to me today at the end of my first period and asked if we were still doing the penpal thing, because apparently it’s been a while since she didn’t have anything to post. I wonder if she realizes it’s only been three days since we didn’t write anything ._. She said we’d better get back to it if we don’t want her to kick us out of the penpal club and lose the bonus points. Sorry to say that, because I know she was your ex-girlfriend last year or something, but she’s a bit creepy.

Anyways, tacos. Tacos, my friend, are heaven. Probably as much as strawberries are perfect for you, they also are for me, and I plan of dying from an overdose of tacos when I get old and wrinkly.

And Starbucks – well. Now that I think about it, the words you gave me aren’t very interesting, since we talked about that yesterday orz

You , dear monkey-friend.

 

- Donghae

 

=

 

Hyukjae raises a disbelieving eyebrow upon reading the letter Donghae has just sent him, and turns to face him with a small snort. “She really said that?”

 

His nose slightly scrunched up in annoyance, Donghae wipes the corner of his mouth with a napkin and nods distractedly. “She really did,” he grumbles moodily. “Three days. It’s not like we dropped the whole thing for two months or something, right?”

 

The redhead lets out a noncommittal sound and takes a small bite of his sandwich, before pensively glancing around the crowded cafeteria they are having lunch at. People are still giving them weird looks, but he doesn’t care all that much anymore and has decided to ignore them (even if it’s getting really annoying and rude). Sighing under his breath, he shifts on his chair and extends his legs a little under the table, and accidentally brushes his shoulder against Donghae’s. But instead of pushing him away and sneering like he would have a week earlier, the brunette only sips from his soda and leans closer to him, until he’s almost completely pressed around his sides. Hyukjae grunts only for good measures, earning a light nudge at the knee, and wriggles a little just so his shoulder isn’t crushed under his weight.

 

“Why are you like this, seriously?” he mumbles.

 

“Shut up,” Donghae retorts with a snort. “I’m clingy and you’re comfy. And it’s not like you don’t like it, anyway.”

 

Hyukjae doesn’t even bother to deny it.

Truthfully, he wonders if freaking out wouldn’t have been a healthy reaction at this point. As much as he isn’t the type to refuse a bit of skinship (he even allows it with Kyuhyun, that’s saying something), the friendship he shares with Donghae isn’t supposed to be important enough so they can act so close and conniving around each other, bickering and touching intimately as if it is the most natural thing in the world. Even the fact that they so quickly concluded that they would have lunch together, without even consulting each other, didn’t surprise him all that much – but then, a lot of “surprising” things have happened to him over the past weeks.

And maybe he’s repeating himself, but being friends and so intimate with Donghae is definitely at the top of his weird stuff that happened to me list.

Except he likes it. Of course he does. Even he thinks it’d be stupid to try and deny it at this point.

His lips unconsciously pursued into a sulky pout, he thinks over the hundreds of text messages Donghae and he sent to each other last night, chatting as if they have been friends forever, while truth is they only had their first proper conversation a few hours earlier. It was only when he started to feel reluctant about going to sleep and say goodbye to the brunette that he realized that he actually likes it – likes this, this odd friendship, or whatever it is supposed to be, that is quickly building between the both of them.

And if he has to be honest, Hyukjae doesn’t think that everything started only thanks to the letters and the penpal club – years of so-called hatred couldn’t lead them to being so close all of a sudden, except if they somehow brought them closer without them realizing it.

Or maybe they are just too oblivious, but Hyukjae likes to believe it isn’t the case (who the hell am I trying to fool, anyway?).

Huffing explosively, he takes another bite of his sandwich and munches moodily, reveling in the comfortable silence that has settled down between them. Next to him, Donghae sighs contently after having successfully wolfed down his third piece of cake, before he flutters his eyes close and rests his head on his shoulder. Hyukjae glances down at him and takes in his handsome and smooth features, the long eyelashes brushing the tanned skin of his cheeks, and the thin lips he can’t help but wondering what they taste like.

 

What.

 

Not liking the turn his thoughts are taking, he blinks a bit dazedly and looks away, only to rest his own head at the top of Donghae’s a second later. He smells shampoo, something musky and sweet, and just Donghae – and can’t help but fluttering his eyes shut as well.

 

Crushing on Donghae suddenly doesn’t sound as impossible as it used to be when Kyuhyun first about it.

 

What kind of ing mess have I dragged myself into, seriously.

 

=

 

Yoh,

Is that my ing fault if you didn’t answer me as soon as you received the letter? They were good words, ok. I wasn’t supposed to know it was you at that time. Though I don’t know if I’d have realized it was you anyway.

Old and wrinkly, you say. And dying of an overdose of tacos, really? Then I want to die because of too much strawberries, and with my dog! <3

How do you know I used to date Seohyun? I mean I wasn’t trying to hide it either, but we never really got touchy at high school. Or anywhere else, to be honest -.- she is creepy, and a bit annoying sometimes, but still very nice and cute. She's kind of adorable.

By the way, did you talk to your girlfriend yet? About the cheating, I mean. You’re going to break up aren’t you? Right?

 

- H (who’s actually right next to you but apparently you’re too busy sleeping on my shoulder to realize anything)

 

=

 

See!” Sooyoung exclaims loudly, from the other side of the cafeteria. Bouncing excitedly on her chair and earning a giggle from Yoona, she slaps Jessica’s shoulder to get her attention. “I told you they like each other!”

 

Sunny perks her head up in equal enthusiasm at that, and squeals with her a second later upon spotting the two boys. “Oh my God, you’re so right!”

 

An annoyed expression plastered on her face, Jessica sends them a hard glare and rubs the sore pot Sooyoung has just punched, before glancing in Donghae and Hyukjae’s direction, who apparently decided that leaning against each other like some kind of sickeningly cute couple and taking a nap in the middle of the cafeteria was a good idea.

 

She rolls her eyes and throws a chip at Sooyoung’s face, and retorts “Shut the up and eat, you freaking fangirls.”


this chapter (again lol) but i didn't sleep last night cause of exams and i really wanted to post something today for you ;-; plus, contest deadline is in something like 20 days and i'm soooo lateeeeeee. there's probably something like 5-6 chapters left, which means i have to try and updated every two days or something T^T

so sorry about that orz I still hope you liked it, though! it's a bit hard to come back to pure crack like in the first chapters, but i think fluff is good, too :">

anyways, thank you so much for reading