One

The Letters from That Boy

one;


“Got a love letter?” Lee Donghae sneers at the redhead student as he passes by. “This girl clearly has no taste!”

 

Hyukjae swears at him, giving him the two fingers gesture with a scowl on his face. What a useless jerk, he thinks, because he really, really doesn’t like this guy.

He doesn’t even remember the day when he accepted to sign in the penpal club of the high school in the first place. He would like to say that it’s because he wanted to gain some additional points for his SATs, or because he wanted to make some new friends and try something creative, but to be honest, he thinks it’s because he wanted to approach that pretty girl who started the club. They went out for a month before he broke up, he remembers.

Truthfully, he doesn’t really care about these details. What truly bothers him is the fact that he forgot to quit the club – there was this girl of the coffee shop nearby afterward and it simply slipped out of his mind. In consequences, there’s now a white letter in his locker and all he can do is blankly stare at it.

 

“What. The. ,” he utters with a frown.

 

He sighs, drops his bag onto the dirty floor of the high school hallway and reaches for it. The envelope is plain and there’s nothing written on it except the name of the club on the left corner and a random three-digit number that probably helps the club to link the contacts together. He turns it in his hands with bewilderment, wondering what he should do about it, when the bell rings the start of the next period.

 

“,” he curses distractedly. “I’m going to be late.”

 

He shoves the letter in his bag and quickly forgets about it, then rushes to his next class.

 

=

 

The second time Hyukaje remembers about the letter, he’s in his bedroom, ready to start his homework. He really doesn’t want to but there’s an important test the day after. He is looking for his books in his bag with a displeased look until he finds the letter crumbled up at the bottom. He blinks in wonder before he remembers finding it in his locker earlier. He sighs with exasperation, carelessly putting it on his desk before he finally finds his notebook.

He wishes he could quit the penpal club, but he knows that it does give him additional points and even if he claims not needing them at all, he actually really does. And it isn’t like he can just ignore the letters because all of them have to go through the club so everybody can stay anonymous. If Hyukaje doesn’t play the game, Seohyun will probably know about it and definitely kick him out of the club (his ex-girlfriend is really meticulous toward the rules).

With a displeased expression plastered on his face, the redhead student finally opens the letter. He’s surprised to find only a small paper at its bottom. It's a folded note, probably tore up from a notebook. He takes it then unfolds it. There’s no name or distinctive sign that could help Hyukjae to determine who his penpal is. Well, he thinks rather sarcastically. That’s basically the point of all this bull. He raises an eyebrow with mild curiosity before sighing in resignation. It's surely better than having to start his homework right away, anyway.

 

A friend forced me to sign in the penpal club because he’s a member and thinks it’s brilliant. Personally, I think it’s just a waste of time. Am I the only one thinking that?

 

Hyukjae snorts and leans back in his chair, mentally agreeing with him – or her. He’s not really sure how he’s supposed to think of his penpal. He shakes his head in exasperation and puts the note away – because it really can’t be considered as an actual letter, is his penpal that lazy? – before setting to work.

He will think about it later.

 

=

 

My reasons are different than yours, but I agree. It’s stupid and I can’t believe I signed in. At least it gives us some bonus points, eh?

 

Hyukjae decides that if whoever this person is doesn’t bother to write him something proper, than nor will he. Satisfied with the minimalist note he wrote, just like his penpal did, he strolls through the hallway of the high school toward the penpal club. Before he can drop it anywhere – he really doesn’t care, if it gets lost then he’s not going to complain – Seohyun suddenly appears before him, her usually serious expression on her pretty face.

Instinctively, Hyukjae smiles at her as his body unconsciously adopts a nonchalant but charming posture.

 

“Hi,” he says warmly. It’s not because they broke up that he has to be a jerk to her, right? “What’s up?”

 

“I see you replied to your penpal,” she replies, cutely tilting her head to the side with a calm expression on her face. It reminds Hyukjae why he wanted to date her. “What’s your number? I’ll take care of it so it can reach your pen friend quickly.”

 

“Number?” he frowns and blankly stares at her.

 

She stares back without a word before Hyukjae finally remembers, and gives her the number that was on the envelope with a sheepish grin. She only sighs but softly smiles back, and the redhead knows they’re still good friends.

 

“That’s your code,” she explains as she takes the letter from his hands. “You have to write it on the envelope so we can easily send the letters back and forth.”

 

He only hums in response, holding himself back from saying he doesn’t really care. He watches her write the number on his own envelope and then chats quickly with her, before he bids his goodbye and goes out, heading to the cafeteria and hoping that Kyuhyun was there.

He is really hungry and hopes there’s something strawberry-flavored.

 

Turns out his best friend isn’t in the cafeteria, but Donghae is. Which considerably darkens his mood. As soon as they see each other, glares and scowls are immediately exchanged. Hyukjae hates him and he knows the feeling is completely mutual.

Lee Donghae is like Hyukjae’s rival in every fields as long as he can remember; he’s popular with the other students, smart and nice. Well, that’s what common people think, anyway. The redhead would rather believe that he’s just an arrogant, sassy dumbhead who should be sold as a fish in a pet shop. He's not even sure if he deserves it.

Neither of them really knows why they hate each other so much, but it seems like it doesn’t really bother them. Actually, it’s pretty cool to have somebody they can piss off as much as they want.

 

“You ugly dip,” he hears him mutter as Donghae dramatically whips around and stomps to the exit.

 

Hyukjae makes a face in his direction, even though the brunette student can’t see him. Then, his single-lidded eyes drop to his , and really, he can’t deny it – he’s probably brainless but he does have a really able .

 

=

 

Hyukjae honestly forgets about the penpal thing after one week without a reply. He’s been trying to tell Kyuhyun he really doesn’t want to go to his Starcraft meeting or whatever bull he’s talking about, but the younger boy is stubborn and evil.

I’m-going-to-tell-the-whole-school-about-all-the-disgusting--you-keep-in-your-laptop kind of evil.

He’s trying to find an excuse that would save him from hanging with geeks – he doesn’t really have anything against them but he would rather or something instead, seriously – or maybe look for Donghae and put up a fight so he can distract his bored mind, when a familiar white letter falls down on the floor when he opens his locker.

He stares at it for a second before he distractedly remembers of his new pen friend. He bends down and picks it up, looks around to be sure nobody can see him opening the letter – he does have a reputation, after all – and then reads it.

 

Thanks God yes, it involves bonus points. Else I would have punched my friend silly for even talking about this stupid club, and then brainwashed him so he also quits this poor excuse of a hobby. Seriously. He should get a life. A proper one. It’s like five minutes of our life thrown away. I could do stuffs way more interesting than this.

 

…P.S: No offense.

 

Hyukjae snickers, smirking as he re-reads the letter. He’s absently thinking about a reply and folds it back into the letter, when Kyuhyun suddenly grabs his arm – where the hell does this freak come from?! – and shakes him like a tree apple.

 

“Hyukjae, Hyukjae, Hyukjae –” he hisses, gripping tightly on his biceps. Hyukjae decides to ignore the fact he has dropped the formalities; he’s an insolent brat all the damn time, so it’s useless anyway.

 

The redhead glares at him, hastily hiding the letter in his jacket pocket and hoping Kyuhyun didn’t see it. “What?” he grunts. “If it’s about this stupid geek reunion thing, then no. Again. Giving you didn’t understand it the last thousand times you asked me.”

 

Kyuhyun narrows his eyes at him menacingly, and Hyukjae decides that he can really be scary when he wants to. Then, the younger takes a small white thing out of his pocket and shoves it into his face, so close he has to squint.

 

“Do you know what this is?” he asks innocently, but Hyukjae knows he’s up to something really, really bad because he has this super evil smirk stretching his lips. “This is a USB stick with all the evidence that you are a complete ert and that the population should stay away from you and your diseases. I could just forget it on the table of the high school’s paper, and then what would happen? Hmm?”

 

Maybe I could go all Jackie Chan on him and break his neck, and then make him swallow this ing USB drive?

Don't be stupid, you dip, the treacherous part of his mind sneers at him.

Blinking, Hyukjae ends up groaning in defeat. Kyuhyun starts laughing in triumph, tauntingly waving the flash drive in front of his face.

 

He really needs to change his friends.


/omg I kind of like how this is going. Can you easily differenciate Hyukjae's letters and his penpal's letters? Hyukjae's are just in Italics and penpal's are as well and also centered.

 

Whatever, hope u guys like it.

 

Comments make me a happy unicorn!