Car Pool.

My Dork, Kim Tae Yeon.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Birds cheeped outside Shin Hwa’s bedroom window as he pulled open his curtains to allow the sun light to stream in. He quickly pulled on his school uniform, flatten down his messy hair, and sprayed on enough cologne to kill a baby elephant before running down the stairs in to the kitchen. His mother had set two bowls down on the table, and had placed the box of cereal between them.

 

‘So, Shin Hwa, do you want a ride to school today?’ His mother asked cheekily. Her eyes twinkled with mischief as she asked. Shin Hwa took in a deep breath, trying to ready himself for his mother’s mocking.

 

‘Yes.’ He said slowly. His mother began to laugh.

 

‘That’s what I thought.’ His mother sung out. ‘Because you like Miss Tae Yeon.’ She grinned. Shin Hwa groaned.

 

‘Why can’t you be cool and stay out of my love life like other mothers do?’ He whined. Shin Hwa’s mother grinned. She reached out, and ruffled Shin Hwa’s hair.

 

‘Because, sweetie. I’m a cool mother.’ She grinned. Shin Hwa scoffed.

 

‘Just keep believing that, mum.’ Shin Hwa rolled his eyes. His mum grinned, but then her face slowly morphed in to a serious expression.

 

‘Have you got your house key? I’m not going to be home today when you come back from school.’ Shin Hwa’s mother said. Shin Hwa rose his eyebrows. His mother was always home when he returned from school.

She worked at a small photography shop that did family portraits and baby portraits. Opening hours where from 9:30am until 3:00pm. His school finished at 4pm.

 

‘I’m going out.’ She said simply. Shin Hwa’s eyebrows shot up in curiosity again.

 

‘With who?’ Shin Hwa asked. She didn’t have many friends, because she simply didn’t get out a lot. His aunt (his mother’s older sister) lived on the coast in Seungeon, and they only really saw her a few times a year. His grandma and grandpa (his mother’s parents) lived there, his father’s parents lived there, and his father’s grave was there. However the drive was long, and by the time she had visited everyone, it would be very late so she didn’t go that often.

 

‘Um...’ Shin Hwa’s mother said. A red blush rose up on her cheeks, this only made Shin Hwa more suspicious.

 

‘What?’ Shin Hwa urged.

 

‘I’m going on a date.’ She mumbled out. She suddenly looked like a young teenage girl, not like a mother in her mid thirties. Shin Hwa’s jaw dropped open. A surge of anger spat through him.

 

‘What?’ He yelled out. ‘What about dad!’ He stood up and hit his hands against the table. His mother took a deep breath in.

 

‘Sweetie, I was separated from your father a year before he died, and he died over fourteen years ago. I’ve been divorced since I was twenty years old. I’m thirty four now. It’s time to move on.’

 

Shin Hwa let out a growl under his breath. He gripped the table. If the table hadn’t been made out of wood, or if he was stronger he would of snapped right through it.

‘Sweetie, I deserve to have some one.’ His mother said softly.

 

‘You have me.’ Shin Hwa said in a low tone.

 

‘You’re going to university next year, and then who will I have?’ She asked quietly. Shin Hwa continued to grip on the table, like it was supporting his entire world. ‘Shin Hwa, you’re never like this. Why are you being like this? This is a good thing for me. Just be happy for me.’

 

‘I’m getting in the car. We’re going to be late for Tae Yeon.’ Shin Hwa growled, storming out of the room. He grabbed his backpack, and slammed the door. He walked over to his mother’s red beetle car. He pulled on the car door, but it just wouldn’t open. He’d forgotten the keys. He looked up just in time to watch his mother walk out the door. She was carrying several bags with her which she put in the boot before unlocking the rest of the car.

Shin Hwa climbed in to the back seat quickly. He angrily folded his arms across his chest.

 

His mother climbed in to the driver’s seat, and slowly turned around to look at him. ‘Shin Hwa, it’s just a date. Just a date. Please, please, please, just be happy for me. Like you normally are. Just smile at me.’

 

Shin Hwa took a deep breath in. ‘Mum, I don’t want you to get hurt.’

 

‘I know, sweetie. I’m not going to get hurt. Now smile before we go get Tae Yeon. Your smile is your most charming feature.’ She said. Shin Hwa forced out a small smile. His mother smiled back at him.

‘That’s better, now lets go.’ She said, quickly driving off.

 

It took them about thirty seconds to get to Tae Yeon’s cul-de-sac in the car.

 

They sat outside her drive way. Shin Hwa glanced at the small clock in the dashboard of the car. It ticked, until it hit the exactly 8:35AM. Kim Tae Yeon’s front door opened up, and she came running out. She massaged BB cream in to her face, as her mother brushed her hair, and tied it quickly in to a plait, which she wrapped the end of in a red hair ribbon which brought out the red of her lips.

 

She looks gorgeous. Mind blowingly so. She’s a goddess. Shin Hwa thought to himself.

 

‘Don’t drool. son. Girls don’t like that.’ His mother whispered, just as Tae Yeon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter