Chapter V

Terror in the Woods

Leeteuk looked at his watch.  "Wow, its getting late.  It is already after 6 o'clock." he said to himself.  "If we don't leave soon, we will not get back to the dormitories until midnight.".   Leeteuk yelled at the others to gather around, telling them it was time to go home.  They had had a wonderful time and did not want to leave yet, but slowly they started gathering their things and met at the town center. 

As Leeteuk went through his mental checklist to make sure that everyone was gathered. He noticed that Ryewook was not there. In fact he could not remember the last time he saw Ryewook.  "Has anyone seen Ryewook?" he asked. "There he goes again." Dongwae answered. "He did this the last time. He gets so absorbed in what he is doing that he loses track of time. I am not getting him this time. Its someone's else turn." he added. "I'll go." Kangin said.  "I think I know which way he went.".

As the others gathered their belongings to return to the bus, Kangin quickly set off to look for Ryewook along the path he last saw him.  "This time he is going to get it.  He needs to pay attention and be considerate of others."  Kangin mumbled to himself.   

He came across a clearing and stopped when he came upon the ruins of the old temple.  "I can see how Ryewook could lose track of time." he thought. "This place is amazing!".  He walked toward the ruins, fascinated by the once impressive structure.  As he walked around, he felt something crunch under his foot.  He looked down, it was Ryewook's rucksack. It was partially shredded.  He picked it up and it felt wet.  He looked down at his hands..."is this blood?".  Kangin started to worry.  He began to call out.  "Ryewook? Ryewook, where are you?".  There was no answer.  He started poking around, looking under the brush.  "Maybe he fell, hit his head?" Kangin thought to himself, "But why would his rucksack be torn?. Had Ryewook been attacked by an animal?"  Kangin did not even want to consider the thought. 

Suddenly he stopped.  Did he hear something?  "There it is again!" he thought.  It sounded like a soft moan.  He moved slowly trying to follow the sound over the forest noise.  He finally reached the sound and was shocked by what he saw.  He found Ryewook a little ways from the clearing.  It was obvious he was hurt. Kangin bent down to look at his friend.  He was covered in blood, with scratches along his back and several bite marks around his chest and neck. 

Upon hearing the footsteps, Ryewook woke up with a startle and started to quickly back away from Kangin, afraid he would be attacked again. Kangin grabbed him and tried to calm Ryewook down. "What did this to you?" Kangin asked. Upon hearing the familiar voice, Ryewook looked up.  "Hyung! You need to get out of here! Run!" Ryewook stated in a panic, pushing Kangin away. 

Kangin looked at him surprised and a bit confused.  "I am not leaving without you." Kangin answered.  Ryewook continued to insist that Kangin needed to leave.  "Stop this! You are in shock. I will carry you back and we will get you to a hospital." Kangin stated.  

Kangin easily picked up Ryewook and started back toward the path he had come in on.  Suddenly Ryewook stiffened his body and his eyes went wide with fear.  Kangin stopped to look at him. Was he going into shock?  Before he could react, Kangin felt a searing pain in his shoulder.  It felt like someone had plunged several sharp blades into his neck.  Kangin instinctly raised his hands to his neck, dropping Ryewook.  

After the initial shock Kangin began to fight back.  What was this?  The animal was large, but very thin and nimble.  It had long hair, but it did not feel like animal fur.   And the smell!.  Kangin would almost taste the metal smell of blood coming off the animal.  It was a sickening smell.  He continued to struggle, but no matter how hard he tried, he could not shake off the beast that was attacking him from behind.  Ryewook was in a state of panic, yelling and screaming. Slowly, Kangin began to weaken. He knew he had lost a lot of blood but he kept fighting.  He felt something strike his head and his eyesight started to dim at the edges. Ryewook panicked cries could only be heard in the distance now.  "Is this it?  Is this what it feels like to die?' Kangin thought to himself as everything went black.