Chapter IV

Terror in the Woods

The boys happily walked, sang, laughed and joked.  They could not remember the last time they had had such a good time.  Before long they had reached their destination.  Oh, what a wonderful sight, full of mystery.  Old run down buildings, scattered pieces of pottery and furniture.  At one time this must have been a very bustling town, full of life, but now...  It was hard to tell how long the town had been abandoned.  The forest had taken over much of it.  It was obvious that people had lived here long ago from the look of the remains scattered everywhere.  

Ryewook was in love right away.  The age and the history of the location overwhelmed him.  He immediately began exploring and taking notes of every little discovery. Occasionally he would shout back at the others a bit of information or answer the others' questions.  Little by little, Ryewook moved further and further away from the others. 

Before he knew it, Ryewook have ventured a little too far out.  He could not hear the others, much less see them.  "I should get back but there was so much to see..." he thought. He was quickly distracted and kept exploring, not aware of the eyes that were keeping watch on him.  

 At a little distance away, Ryewook came upon what seems to have been an old temple.  At some point, the temple must have been beautiful, but all he could see was fallen support beams and broken statuary.  It was overgrown, covered in vines and it was obvious that several creatures had made a home of the place by the sound of scurrying he heard as he walked by.   "This place is fantastic!" he thought to himself.  It seem that no one had been there in centuries.  Ryewook became totally immersed in what he was looking at.

Moo Young saw his opportunity.  As the young man moved among the ruins, totally absorbed by his discoveries, Moo Young slowly climbed through the trees.  He followed Ryewook's every move.  The closer Moo Young got to him, the stronger the scent became.  Moo Young became intoxicated, almost falling out of the tree.  Fortunately, he caught himself before he gave himself away.  "What was that?", Ryewook thought as he turned toward the rustling in the trees.  "Ahh, probably a squirrel!", he told himself with a nervous laugh.  "I probably should head back. Its getting late and the others are probably looking for me by now.".  Ryewook starting back tracking.    

Unfortunately it all looked the same. He could not remember which way he had come. The area was so overgrown that he could not make out any distinctive markers to guide himself back. He was sure that he had made a turn at that tree or did he? "That is what I get for being absent minded." he told himself.  "I never pay attention to where I am going.  The others alway tell me I get too absorbed in what I am doing." 

As Ryewook contemplated which direction to take, a menacing figure approached from behind. The last thing Ryewook saw was a flock of birds before him suddenly fly up.