Chapter IX

Terror in the Woods

Hangeng yelled in frustration as the members saw the beast's trail move across the trees.  "Now what do we do!" Hangeng hissed with clenched teeth.  "He has gone who knows where with Ryewook.  We don't even know what THAT is!".  "First we need to help these guys!!" Leeteuk responded. 

The members began to treat Sungmin, Siwon and Kangin.  Siwon had a huge lump on the side of his head where he had been hit.  Kangin had several cuts, bite marks, bruises and a large gash on the back of his head.   Sungmin seemed to be in the worse condition. It was obvious he had fought back from the cuts on his knuckles. He had taken a terrible beating and from what they could see had several broken bones.  "Lets get them down and go somewhere safe so that we can treat them." Kibum suggested.   With the ropes they had and the branches they collected, the members were able to create a crude rig to lower the three injured boys down. 

Once everyone had gotten down from the trees, the members gather to decide what to do.  "We will need to split up. Most of us will go look for that...that thing and Ryewook, while two of you need to stay with Siwon, Sungmin and Kangin." Leeteuk instructed. All of the members immediately volunteered to go search for Ryewook.  "You cannot all go.  I need someone to stay here and protect them should that thing come back." Leeteuk stated in frustration.  Heechul and Hangeng finally volunteered to stay with the injured while the others gather their supplies and looked for makeshift weapons to protect themselves.  

As the members were preparing for the search, Kangin was waking up.  "Hyung." Kangin said softly. Kyuhyun turned to him."Are you ok? Can you sit up?"  Kangin nodded and Kyuhyun slowly helped Kangin sit up and gave him a sip of water from the water bottle he was carrying. Kyuhyun got Leeteuk's attention and all of the members gather to ask Kangin questions about what happened and what that thing was.  "Slow down, slow down!" Leeteuk stated.  "Let him catch his breath. Kangin can you tell us what that thing is?".   

Kangin stared at Leeteuk with obvious fear in his eyes.  "Its a Vampire!" he said.  "WHAT?!?!?!" the members replied.  "I know it is."

Kangin continued.  "I was looking for Ryewook when it attacked me.  I found hyung in a state of panic, covered with bites.  As I tried to carry Ryewook, the beast bit into me and I could feel he was by blood.  I swear!!"  "What happened after that?" Eunhyuk asked.  "We struggled for a while but I don't remember much after that.  I remember everything went black." Kangin replied.

As the members talked amongst themselves, Kangin began to look around.  He noticed Siwon and Sungmin unconsious next to him but Ryewook was not there.  "WHAT HAPPENED?"  Kangin asked alarmed.  'You ran into it, didn't you? He did this to them?!?!?" he stated as he leaned over to look at his wounded brothers.

"Yeah. We heard the yelling and we ran toward the noise.  We saw where you and Ryewook were carried away and we followed the marks.  This is where we found you, up in that den." Yesung explained to Kangin as he pointed upward. "While Siwon and Sungmin tried to bring you both down, he attacked them."  "So where is Ryewook?" Kangin asked. "That thing escaped before we could catch him and he took Ryewook with him."  Yesung continued. "We are setting up a search party right now to go look for him and get him back."   "I am going with you!" Kangin stated as he tried to stand up.  

"You can't. You may have a concussion." Leeteuk stated trying to push Kangin back down.  "Also, you are still bleeding. We can't worry about you while we are trying to search for Ryewook."   "NO! He was my responsibility and I failed him. I have to come with you." Kangin replied.  After several minutes of arguing, Leeteuk conceded.  It was no use arguing with Kangin when he was in this state. 

After making sure they had everything they needed, the party set out.  They had agreed that they would split up into two groups in order to increase their chances of finding Ryewook.  Leeteuk, Shindong, Kangin and Kyunhyn in one group, Donghae, Eunhyuk and Yesung in the second.