Chapter I

Terror in the Woods

"What is that noise?"  He had only just fallen asleep after days of hunting with little success.  "Don't tell me! A family of squirrels has moved into the tree, again.  Wait, NO! Raccoons!?! Ahhh even worse!, What pests"  On the bright side, he would have an easy meal for the next few days he thought. 

Wait.....this sound was different, voices!.  He had not heard the melodic sound of a human voice in such a long time, not in decades.  Not since this infernal race had decided to wipe his kind out. The humans had realized that if they banded together, they would be able to wipe out these "beasts". These beasts who were the source of their fairy tales and nightmares for centuries.  These beasts who had dominated the night.  Those few strong enough to survive the slaughter had gone into hiding into remote areas, such as the Himalayas, the Pacific Northwest and the wilderness of Australia. Occasionally there would be "sightings" of these wild beasts or wild men, as they were called.  These stories were usually reported as the closing story of the evening news or in the back pages of the newspaper.  They were often dismissed as little funny anecdotes about a sighting of the Yeti, Bigfoot or Yowie by another "crazy" just seeing things.  

Back in the day his kind were gods.  Monuments, temples and pyramids had been built for these gods.  Ra, Shiva, Zeus, Quetzalcoatl were some of the names they were known by.  Armies had been raised and defeated in the name of these gods.  Many believed it an honor to die for these these gods.  But as the saying goes, absolute power corrupts and some of these gods became drunk with their own power.  They became careless and greedy.  They began to show their weaknesses. And those who once believed began to realize they were not gods, but parasites that fed on the weak and fearful.  And the believers began to rise and banded together to destroy, no, eradicate his kind.  Moo Young had lost much during these times.

"How much farther is it, Ryewook?" one of them shouted.  "These humans, they sounded so young".  Just thinking about it made Moo Young's mouth water.  Human blood, fresh human blood.  It had been so long.  He felt giddy at the thought of it.  But then again, this could all be his imagination.  It had been too long between feedings. All he had had was a few meager rodents in the last few months, more energy expended than consumed.

Moo Young slowly lifted his body up and peered over the edge of his den to find the source of the noise.  Oh the delight!!  Humans, several and all young. Below him stood twelve handsome young men.  He could imagine their young flesh easily ripped open under his strong claws.  The smell of fresh blood permeating the air. And there, ripe for the picking.  Moo Young's hair on the back of his head stood up. His predator instinct awakened.  It took all he had to restrain himself from attacking. He was never going to catch one now in his weakened state, much less be strong enough to subdue and kill one.  He would have to rely on his wits rather than his strength if he was going to feed.